3rd and 4th gear pressure switches

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015 | 12:38 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mc1114
Didnt notice any change when I did the switches on my TL-S. My TL upshifts slightly quicker and firmer (the way I prefer) than my TL-S, and it still feels that way even after doing the switches on the S. I wish I knew why this is, since AFAIK, the transmissions are the same (both cars 2008)
So is it more of an improvement in shifting or is it something to replace to protect your transmission before the switches fail? Because 99%of tl owners have no idea what they are and there cars have no problems.
Old 11-11-2015 | 08:55 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cheesehead20
So is it more of an improvement in shifting or is it something to replace to protect your transmission before the switches fail? Because 99%of tl owners have no idea what they are and there cars have no problems.
The latter more than the former, although many people have said the shifting has improved after changing the switches

I wonder if all automatic 07-08 TL-S shift a little softer than 07-08 TL
Old 11-11-2015 | 09:38 AM
PTN
Instructor

i have similar issues as TSX-S2000. i also just swapped out my 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches. i would think that any shudder i am experiencing is not due to the switches since they are new. one thing puzzled me though was that the 3rd gear switch i replaced was light grey but the new replacement is black. The 4th gear switch i replaced was brown but the new replacement is white. all this according to the new part numbers which are different from the originals. can someone confirm the colors of the replacement switches?
Old 11-11-2015 | 11:02 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by TSX-S2000
I have close to 240K miles on my TL and replaced my switches less than 20K miles ago. I did it because I was experience some shuddering in the 2nd-to-3rd and 3rd-to-4th shifts. The shifting seemed to improve after the new switches were installed but now the shuddering is back. It only happens under very light acceleration. If I accelerate a little quicker I don't have the problem.

In addition, my transmission seems to be shifting very slowly between park, reverse, and drive when the tranny is hot. Everything is fine when it's cold but after driving for a while, there's a noticeable delay after moving the shift lever from drive (or reverse) to reverse (or drive).

Is my transmission dying?
Old 11-11-2015 | 01:10 PM
Suzuka Master

someone wait 240k miles to change the original switches and I don't know when the last time a fresh ATF was pour into AT, then I heard complaint "my AT just died". If it shudder meaning the transmission is on the way out and there nothing will stop it once damage been done.
Old 11-11-2015 | 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

For some reason I remember reading that the shudder is a sign of the torque converter failing. IHC changed the switches and switched the type of Redline fluid he was using and his shudder was gone.
Old 11-11-2015 | 11:17 PM
Instructor

Interesting read on why to replace your switches AT3rdClutch And the Redline mix flat works..

Last edited by 1KLRTOY; 11-11-2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-12-2015 | 10:41 AM
PTN
Instructor

i also read about the shudder and that it was made to go away but maybe someone can chime in to verify the specifics.
Old 11-12-2015 | 11:03 AM
Burning Brakes

It depends- it could be the TQ if the shudder is happening while in a particular gear and cruising along at a constant speed, giving a little gas. That would likely be the TQ not staying locked/clutch in the TQ slipping. I have been having this issue with my 2G TLs. If it is shuddering when it is shifting between gears then that may be a sign of the clutches in the trans going.
Old 11-13-2015 | 11:08 AM
PTN
Instructor

my shudder is very slight and at low speeds but not while shifting. usually cruising somewhere around 30 MPH or so if i switch to manual shift mode, the indicator shows that the tranny is already in 4th so the shudder is happening in 4th. if i give it a little more gas, it goes away. ill have to test in manual mode and see if it does it in any other gear.

i also should note that right now there is about one extra quart of fluid in the tranny since my wife took it to get the oil changed and while checking the tranny fluid it looks like they overfilled it. They did use my Amsoil super shift which was in the car at the time so no mixing of fluids. i am running 100% super shift. i will need to suck out that quart. i wonder if too much fluid may have something to do with it??

Last edited by Steven Bell; 11-19-2015 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 11-13-2015 | 01:44 PM
Suzuka Master

drain some of the fluid out to get it back to level.
Old 11-13-2015 | 05:34 PM
Burning Brakes

PTN- make sure you check it on level ground and per the manual, but yeah definitely get that extra fluid out. You should be able to crack the drain bolt and loosen it enough (but not fully remove) to let some drain out. One reason I try to do everything myself.
That shudder though as you explain sounds typical of the torque conv clutch slipping at low rpm in a high gear
Old 11-15-2015 | 11:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MonkeyTrucker
If you have an 04-06 the part #s are:
28610-rke-004
28600-rke-004

You can do this by yourself, might as well change the transmission filter while you're at it.

You'll have enough left over to buy a cold air intake in comparisons to letting the dealer do this for you.
Do I need to order washers for both switches or just reuse the ones on the switches I will be removing?
Old 11-16-2015 | 12:17 AM
Advanced

You can reuse them

I always do and never have a problem
Old 11-16-2015 | 03:02 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cheesehead20

^ you are correct. If it's not broken no need to fix (no unusual symptoms).

Just keep the atf fresh.

Originally Posted by truonghthe
someone wait 240k miles to change the original switches and I don't know when the last time a fresh ATF was pour into AT, then I heard complaint "my AT just died". If it shudder meaning the transmission is on the way out and there nothing will stop it once damage been done.
^ Totally false.

Originally Posted by PTN
i also read about the shudder and that it was made to go away but maybe someone can chime in to verify the specifics.
Shudders can be many things, its not just one size fits all and in different degrees. If you catch it early chances are good that it can be reversed.

Things that can cause shudders not all inclusive... dirty fluild, any number of solenoids (not just 3/4), theres pressure A/B, C, torque solenoid, shift A, B, C, and more depends on year/model and yes, absolutly the torque converter itself.

There's a lot of miss info here on this thread. 3rd and 4th gear switches are only a piece of the puzzle.

I have close to 240K miles on my TL and replaced my switches less than 20K miles ago. I did it because I was experience some shuddering in the 2nd-to-3rd and 3rd-to-4th shifts. The shifting seemed to improve after the new switches were installed but now the shuddering is back. It only happens under very light acceleration. If I accelerate a little quicker I don't have the problem.

In addition, my transmission seems to be shifting very slowly between park, reverse, and drive when the tranny is hot. Everything is fine when it's cold but after driving for a while, there's a noticeable delay after moving the shift lever from drive (or reverse) to reverse (or drive).

^ Try replacing the following.

1. ATF 3x3 and external trans filter if applicable.

Solenoids

2. Shift C

3. Pressure A/B check the screens at the bottom of the three small pipes. Replace the 3 O-rings and gasket.

4. Pressure C.

Originally Posted by PTN
i have similar issues as TSX-S2000. i also just swapped out my 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches. i would think that any shudder i am experiencing is not due to the switches since they are new. one thing puzzled me though was that the 3rd gear switch i replaced was light grey but the new replacement is black. The 4th gear switch i replaced was brown but the new replacement is white. all this according to the new part numbers which are different from the originals. can someone confirm the colors of the replacement switches?
You need to be sure you have the right switches bc those pressure switches control the timing of the engagement and disengagement of the 3/4 gears. Mistiming equals shudders.

Call the dealership to confirm the PN.

You should also try changing Shift C and Pressure A/B as noted above and ATF 3x3/AT filter.

Filter - #7.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 11-19-2015 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button in the lower right hand corner (middle icon).
The following users liked this post:
MonkeyTrucker (11-16-2015)
Old 11-16-2015 | 10:09 PM
Life Connoisseur

^^^ 01acls

...I like this guy...

Originally Posted by 01acls
There's a lot of miss info here on this thread. 3rd and 4th gear switches are only a piece of the puzzle.
Preach brother.

Last edited by MonkeyTrucker; 11-16-2015 at 10:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Slpr04UA6 (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015 | 07:30 AM
PTN
Instructor

i know i have the correct switches in regards to part numbers but i was looking for color confirmation from someone else who has replaced them recently.

my fluid is clean so i dont see any issue with that but i suppose i could try replacing the other parts mentioned and see what happens. why particularly Shift C and Pressure A/B?
Old 11-17-2015 | 05:40 PM
Advanced

One white switch goes on the back, the other white switch goes on the left upper side by the transmission mount. The black switch goes on the lower front of the transmission
Old 11-17-2015 | 08:21 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by PTN
i know i have the correct switches in regards to part numbers but i was looking for color confirmation from someone else who has replaced them recently.

my fluid is clean so i dont see any issue with that but i suppose i could try replacing the other parts mentioned and see what happens. why particularly Shift C and Pressure A/B?
The shift C assist shifting in gears 2-5.

Pressure A/B controls pressure vales A/B which controls how much pressure goes to the clutch packs to engage or disengage the selected gear. This appears to be the mother of all Solenoids. That's why I recommend to change the 3 O-rings under this solenoid and the gasket, if the O-rings are defective then the clutch is not getting full pressure to engage the clutch packs in a timely manner.

Thanks for asking.

PTN,

Your post #43 & 50 kinda contradict each other. Please clarify?

One says erratic shifting in gears 3/4 and the other is just shudder in 4.

The latter... 4th gear, if its hunting to lock the torque converter then possibly a defective lockup/torque converter solenoid.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 11-19-2015 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 11-18-2015 | 09:27 AM
PTN
Instructor

post #50 is correct. i checked to see which gear i was in when the shudder was happening and it was 4th. i never experimented to see if i kept it in some other gear manually, whether it would still shudder so i can only say as much as i have checked. no other shifting issues.
so if its slight shudder in 4th, which piece of the puzzle should i be concentrating on?

Originally Posted by mc1114
One white switch goes on the back, the other white switch goes on the left upper side by the transmission mount. The black switch goes on the lower front of the transmission
my new 3rd gear is black (behind lower black plastic cover facing wheelwell) and new 4th gear is white (upper front of tranny). Locations as per sixsixfour as seen in his pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches-3rd_4th.jpg  

Last edited by Steven Bell; 11-19-2015 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 11-18-2015 | 10:05 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by PTN
post #50 is correct. i checked to see which gear i was in when the shudder was happening and it was 4th. i never experimented to see if i kept it in some other gear manually, whether it would still shudder so i can only say as much as i have checked. no other shifting issues.
so if its slight shudder in 4th, which piece of the puzzle should i be concentrating on?
Replace trans filter.

You should try solenoids...

1.Shift C.

2. Pressure A/B. Check for debris at the bottom of the three small pipes. Replace the 3 O-rings and gasket.

And/or replace the Torque converter solenoid if it's indeed hunting/slipping in and out of lock up in 4th gear.

If the atf fluid is remotely dirty do a 3x3. The act of replacing the fluid may dislodge debris in the torque converter.

ie. My 3rd gear shudder did not go away until I did a 95-100% atf fluid exchange.
Old 11-18-2015 | 10:25 AM
PTN
Instructor

i will look into this. thanks. i did complete fluid replacement with Amsoil Super Shift at 110k. i'm at 148k now with clean fluid.

what fluid(s) are you running?

should also note that i replaced the filter (which was actually clean) when i did the fluid swap along with 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches back in 2012. i just did the switches again this month because i had P0717 and i thought it might be related. after replacing switches, still had the code so i replaced the input shaft speed sensor and fixed the issue.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 11-19-2015 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 11-19-2015 | 03:25 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by PTN
i will look into this. thanks. i did complete fluid replacement with Amsoil Super Shift at 110k. i'm at 148k now with clean fluid.

what fluid(s) are you running?
Honda DW1.
Old 11-21-2015 | 10:43 AM
Safety Car

I would safely assume only members here have changed theirs. Again, it is not something an Acura dealership would perform as part of regular maintenance...ever. Nor would they bring it up on a multi-point inspection. If they've heard of it, it's likely come from this website.

Reason why I love forums so much. Lots of knowledge and expertise.

Also Monekey, how bad/tough is it to do the tranny mounts?

I have done most of the maintenance suggested here (3/4 switch, ATF and filter, etc.) but the motor mounts and tranny mounts slipped my mind.

Getting colder so I want to do those asap.

I know XLR8 has nice motor mounts (and motor damper things?) that I've seen mentioned and also.

I'll need to look up the DIY thread on that anyway....but any advice would be appreciated!

A user on here, I believe it was IHateCars, had a discussion about the transmissions with someone. It became lore on here to change them on occasion, there is no interval outlined by Acura and if you were to call them, they'd be just as puzzled as your service adviser was.

There is no guarantee that this will prevent any damage to any transmission.

Why are you so concerned about your transmission? If it's not giving you trouble and you do perform the outlined maintenance schedule for the transmission...go enjoy your car.
An older thread with a fairly respected AZing member talking to a trans expert mentioned a napkin-estimate of about 50k interval as a safe amount. Sounds fine by me.

As others have already said: change ATF (at least 3x3, 4-6x3 for more reassurance ), change ATF filter. Trans mount also per past poster. I myself need to look into that as well.

Shudders can be many things, its not just one size fits all and in different degrees. If you catch it early chances are good that it can be reversed.

Things that can cause shudders not all inclusive... dirty fluild, any number of solenoids (not just 3/4), theres pressure A/B, C, torque solenoid, shift A, B, C, and more depends on year/model and yes, absolutly the torque converter itself.

^ Try replacing the following.

1. ATF 3x3 and external trans filter if applicable.

Solenoids

2. Shift C

3. Pressure A/B check the screens at the bottom of the three small pipes. Replace the 3 O-rings and gasket.

4. Pressure C.
Nice info. And good call.

Makes you wonder how many people had to have thousands/hundreds of trans repairs or trans replacements or sold/junked their car for cheap when one of these (relatively cheap I assume) parts needs simple replacement.

Honda DW1.
Just read this article: Redline

And he appears to sound expert-like and is really pushing for a better synthetic than the DW1, ie Red Line D4. Thoughts?
Old 11-21-2015 | 05:02 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by nist7

Reason why I love forums so much. Lots of knowledge and expertise.

Also Monekey, how bad/tough is it to do the tranny mounts?

I have done most of the maintenance suggested here (3/4 switch, ATF and filter, etc.) but the motor mounts and tranny mounts slipped my mind.

Getting colder so I want to do those asap.

I know XLR8 has nice motor mounts (and motor damper things?) that I've seen mentioned and also.

I'll need to look up the DIY thread on that anyway....but any advice would be appreciated!

An older thread with a fairly respected AZing member talking to a trans expert mentioned a napkin-estimate of about 50k interval as a safe amount. Sounds fine by me.

As others have already said: change ATF (at least 3x3, 4-6x3 for more reassurance ), change ATF filter. Trans mount also per past poster. I myself need to look into that as well.

Nice info. And good call.

Makes you wonder how many people had to have thousands/hundreds of trans repairs or trans replacements or sold/junked their car for cheap when one of these (relatively cheap I assume) parts needs simple replacement.

Just read this article: Redline

And he appears to sound expert-like and is really pushing for a better synthetic than the DW1, ie Red Line D4. Thoughts?
IMO ATF is ATF. No different than motor oil. Long as it meets the manufacturer's minimum specifications it will work and the manufacturer have to warranty it, regardless of brand. It's that simple.

ATF brand is not as important as service intervals. You can have the best ATF in the world and still have a trans failure due to lack of service or no service.

Based on the above I would not hesitate to use Redline, Valvoline, Amsol, etc ATF in my Honda or Acura vehicles, as long as it meets the manufacturer's specifications.

I use DW1 bc it does the job, simple as that. If it's not broken I don't try to fix it.

Old 11-21-2015 | 05:44 PM
Safety Car

^^Good point. I just did a 5x3 ATF change out with DW1.

Most people probably are not nearly as meticulous as people on this forum so they probably don't do ATF change until dealer tells them which would likely be up to 60-100k and years and years of old gunky ATF sludging around in the trans.
Old 11-21-2015 | 10:01 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^I also did 5x3 prior replace all the pressure switches.