Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3m 'Invisible Bra' for 04'TL

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 09:45 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by caha14
When they do it at a dealer, I think dealer charges about $600.

I'm guessing that if they can do it in your garage, it will probably run lower than that (no need to pay the dealer!). The kit usually includes protection for hood, front bumper, front fenders, and mirrors.

One thing I noticed the other day when I took my TL-S in for service is that the hood piece on the '04 goes much deeper into the hood than mine does. Mine is about 5" wide, and the one I saw was more like 10"-12" (much more protection!). Last time I checked, my dealer (Herb Connolly) used Autobahnd, so I'm guessing this is their kit.
$600 for a few clear, sticky pieces of soft plastic?

I think I went into the wrong profession.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:49 PM
User Registered

What about clearbra and the A-Spec kit?

Anybody have this combo?
Old 03-23-2004, 12:49 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by rkilian
I would highly recommend it, specially for the NBP. the underbody color is white so it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Here's how mine looks; installed on hood, fenders, bumper, mirrors and aluminum trim on the hood.

thats pretty damn sexy with those SSRs
Old 03-23-2004, 07:01 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by RM44341
I bought my TL at Acura of Boston last week and wanted the clear bra but they didn't offer it so I surfed the web and found Tint King in Billerica and just had it done today. A Super job, I highly recommend them. Interestingly he said he avoids black cars because it's awful hard to get it right. Mine is WDP, which along with silver, is the easiest color to deal with he said.
I had them tint my car this past Saturday. He told me that someone was comming in to get the Expel full kit. I guess that's you.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:26 PM
Intermediate

Need Installer in Philly Suburbs

I'm also interested in the Group Purchase. Can anyone recommend an installer in the western suburbs of Philly (Near King of Prussia)?

Thanks!

JB
Old 03-23-2004, 07:43 PM
Banned

Originally posted by BlackSunshine
What about clearbra and the A-Spec kit?

Anybody have this combo?
I assume you are referring to dealer installed spoiler? If so I got it. Same price as the regular one. Let me know if you want one.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:59 PM
VTEC HoooA

Can someone clarify something for me in regards to the "clear bra"? If this is placed on the car, how do you wax the car?? Do you wax the plastic? How does that look?

I want to protect the paint, but am also interested in how you care for the car??

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-23-2004, 08:05 PM
Banned

Can someone clarify something for me in regards to the "clear bra"? If this is placed on the car, how do you wax the car?? Do you wax the plastic? How does that look?
Yes you do place it on the car. Once it is installed you do not remove it later like a regular bra. You wash and wax the clear bra just like you would the rest of your car. The product will stay as nice as the rest of your car, so if you wax often then it will look good.

Here are some pics of SSH's car that I installed a few weeks ago

If you have any other questions let me know.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:06 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by rockblocker
I assume you are referring to dealer installed spoiler? If so I got it. Same price as the regular one. Let me know if you want one.
The A-spec "kit" is the $5,200 (plus installation) suspension/wheel/tire/steering wheel/"aero" package....

That plus the clear bra package would total up to ~ $7,000....

Might as well just buy a winter car for that and let the TL sleep out the winter in the garage.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:25 PM
VTEC HoooA

Rockblocker,

Having previously owned my own detail business I guess I am just trying to understand the waxing of plastic and how this would work.

more specifically when you are detailing a "dull" car, you can feed the paint, remove the oxidation etc, and the shine returns. With the plastic on the surface, you are never really touching the paint.....so how does this work
Old 03-23-2004, 09:10 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Nodoze2004
Rockblocker,

Having previously owned my own detail business I guess I am just trying to understand the waxing of plastic and how this would work.

more specifically when you are detailing a "dull" car, you can feed the paint, remove the oxidation etc, and the shine returns. With the plastic on the surface, you are never really touching the paint.....so how does this work
You answered your own question...You never touch the paint.

In fact, there's nothing to be gained (or lost) by "waxing" the clear plastic "bra" at all.

The paint is protected by the plastic.

You'll end up with a very thin "wax line" where the plastic meets the painted surfaces that were just waxed; that line can be removed with a toothbrush.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:24 PM
Cruisin'

Llumar Professional Urethane

3M isn't the only player in clear bra anymore. CP Films, the maker of FormulaOne and Llumar window film, has just released a new clear bra product called 'Professional Urethane'.

I'm actually a dealer in Vegas, and this new urethane is so much clearer than the 3M product. The 3M isn't even in the same ball park.

Try and find a dealer in your area and take a look.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:30 PM
Drifting

Re: Llumar Professional Urethane

Originally posted by MORTOYZ
3M isn't the only player in clear bra anymore. CP Films, the maker of FormulaOne and Llumar window film, has just released a new clear bra product called 'Professional Urethane'.

I'm actually a dealer in Vegas, and this new urethane is so much clearer than the 3M product. The 3M isn't even in the same ball park.

Most of the chipping problem can be eliminated merely by keeping a safe distance (1 car length for every 10 MPH as a minimum) from the car in front of you....

Most drivers tend to glue their own car to the car in front of them; therein lies the source of the problem.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:31 PM
Drifting

Most of the chipping problem can be eliminated merely by keeping a safe distance (1 car length for every 10 MPH as a minimum) from the car in front of you....

Most drivers tend to glue their own car to rear bumper of the car they're following; therein lies the source of the problem.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:32 PM
Drifting

Most drivers tend to glue their own car to the rear bumper of the car they're following; therein lies the source of the problem.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:35 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
While I agree this in theory works, I think you'll be hard pressed to keep the font end clean in good ole New England with all the sand and NaCl.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:08 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Nodoze2004
Rockblocker,

The clear bra has a clear coat on top that you can wax just like the rest of your paint. You cannot use abrasive waxes or cleaners, but polishes yes. You can even use a low speed buffer and hi polish to it on the larger areas and fix minor wash mitt type scratches. (ex-detailer myself)

Yes there are also other companies out there like LLumar, Avery and Venture. We only recommend using the 3M material since they have been doing this for a longtime and provide a great product. While others look to be clearer such as LLumar right out of the gate whose to say after time it will stay that way.

We are currently testing LLumar right now and after three months on one of the toughest colors to make clear ('04 Cadillac Escalade Pearl white) it is already showing signs of changing colors more than 3M. Can you make the film invisible and completely clear on alll colors the answer is "no at this time", but hopefully someone will make it happen. The next generation 3M will be out anyday now. I would love to use the LLumar film if the testing through with flying colors. Always been a big fan of their products. Just an FYI on LLumar from our eyes.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:14 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by NBP04TL4ME
While I agree this in theory works, I think you'll be hard pressed to keep the font end clean in good ole New England with all the sand and NaCl.
I line in New England...MA/RI border area...

I did 5 winters in my Z28 and the (unprotected) nose of that car is still pretty clean.

There is one spot that took a pretty good hit (which I touched up); I seriously doubt that a thin piece of clear plastic would have protected the paint in that case.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:35 AM
5th Gear

Nodoze,

If you wax the plastic it will not hurt it. You can actually polish the plastic with a fine compound as well. The only thing I would recommend you not do is take a high speed wheel to it as it will generate heat which will cause damage.

If you wax it, it will be a pain to remove wax from the edge of the plastic. Best bet is to remove it before it dries with the tip of your finger behind a microfibre towel so as not to scratch the paint at the edge.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:03 PM
VTEC HoooA

Thanks for all the replys on this topic! The clear bra is new to me so I wanted to be sure I understood the care aspect....

In regards to driving at the appropriate distance, I don't know how the drivers in New England are but down here in Florida the space you leave in front of you is quickly taken by passing motorists so you have the option to set the pace, or be cut off (I prefer the former).
Old 04-12-2004, 09:17 PM
Racer

bump