Sponsored by:

3G TL carbon fiber trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 01:38 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3G TL carbon fiber trunk?

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
It would require a batch of 10 units ordered from VIS racing in order to get a carbon fiber trunk manufactured for the TL.
any one else intrested ?

c'mon we need 8 more ppl that wanna shed some pounds of their TL.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:41 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Will I still be able to use my Reverse Camera from a 2007 TYPE S?
Old 03-06-2007, 01:52 AM
B A N N E D

I am definitely interested. How about CF fenders, hoods, and door panels?
Old 03-06-2007, 01:54 AM
Down for a photoshoot?

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
what about the cf hoods? I think i searched a while ago that only michaelbenz fabbed a few of those and then stopped?
Old 03-06-2007, 01:55 AM
13.19@105.48MPH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
depends how much it will cost and what about the hood can VIS make them too, because i have a VIS hood on my prelude and they are good quality, if they can make both and have a deal, im in for sure
Old 03-06-2007, 01:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Interested! How much is it going to cost, and will they have a matching cf hood available?
Old 03-06-2007, 02:00 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by mr.almeida
Will I still be able to use my Reverse Camera from a 2007 TYPE S?
im not too sure but if ther is no diffrence in trunks i dont see why not.

chances are you might have to drill a hole for the camera to peek through.

Originally Posted by lookinco
I am definitely interested. How about CF fenders, hoods, and door panels?

well im sure if we can get around 10+ ppl to show intrest in a hood they would be up for it.

once i get enought ppl to show intrest in the carbon trunk or hood and possibly drop a deposit to show that they are serious i will send VIS another e-mail and im sure they will then start mass producing more producs for the 3G TL
Old 03-06-2007, 02:02 AM
Safety Car

Well, count me in for a package type deal. Hood plus trunk.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:06 AM
13.19@105.48MPH

and another thing is that on Honda-tech they had a company doing carbon fiber roof caps, cant remember the name but i emailed them before they need a number of ppl willing to pay then they will start making them, if anyone want to look into this, if this happens i will buy this too
Old 03-06-2007, 02:07 AM
Safety Car

ditto for roof caps!
Old 03-06-2007, 02:13 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by OMP Prelude
and another thing is that on Honda-tech they had a company doing carbon fiber roof caps, cant remember the name but i emailed them before they need a number of ppl willing to pay then they will start making them, if anyone want to look into this, if this happens i will buy this too

yeah i was looking into a roof cap for my integra but they told me they were never going to be available to cars w/ sunroofs because of the tight fit around the edge

if vis ends up making the hood and trunk i will more than likely paint my roof black.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:15 AM
Down for a photoshoot?

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
+1 for the cf hood perhaps
Old 03-06-2007, 02:28 AM
9th Gear

add to show intrest....

1. ACCURATEin
2. balleur
3. crzygosu87
4. aznbo187
5. OMP Prelude
6. lookinco
7. mr.almeida

lets keep this goin...
Old 03-06-2007, 02:47 AM
B A N N E D

come on people, we need to save some weight and add some cool factor!
Old 03-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
do yourselves a favor and contact someone else to produce these for you.

VIS has the worst customer service, fitment, and quality that I have seen.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Advanced

I'd be interested.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
interested in hood+trunk, but as always a vague guess at a price would be needed. I'm not gonna spend 1k on both. If we can get out at $600 ish I'm game
Old 03-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by lembowski
interested in hood+trunk, but as always a vague guess at a price would be needed. I'm not gonna spend 1k on both. If we can get out at $600 ish I'm game
Diddo! Count me in also for a trunk lid and hood.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:00 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
Cheap might not be an option as this will be a one off batch or special order.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is something that would be great. I love CF!!! I have been wanting to do a hood, and the trunk would just be icing!!
Old 03-06-2007, 12:44 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by lembowski
$600 on both? c'mon now i spent right around $600 shipped for the carbon fiber trunk on my civic and around $400 shipped for the hood there is no way that we will be able to get both for $600..... you gotta pay to play

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Cheap might not be an option as this will be a one off batch or special order.
+1
Old 03-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Burning Brakes

It would be cool, but it depends on the price and the quality... because i've called around before and found some company willing to do it, but it's at a pretty steep price
Old 03-06-2007, 02:12 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
damnit another mod?!

i'm interested...
Old 03-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Im interested in both but I want to see the finished trunk and how it looks like on a TL. I want to see if it will sit flush with the body lines or will it be out of place. I also want to see how will it react in water? Will the water penetrate in the hood or trunk and make it seem foggy?

But if everything checks out, Im game
Old 03-06-2007, 08:11 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
Someone will need to buy a trunk off a wrecked TL and send it to the venue. VIS is the best bet, maybe seibon.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Suzuka Master

god help you all if you go to vis...
Old 03-06-2007, 11:54 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by CleanCL

you seem to be the only one that has had a bad experience w/ VIS i bought two hoods and a trunk for my civic and integra and have never had any complaints as far as fit and finish and quality please do us all a favor and keep your negative comments to yourself
Old 03-07-2007, 01:10 AM
Safety Car

I think this is a great idea as a whole. Everyone is going to chime in with their personal experiences that they have had in the past. The truth is that we really don't have much of a choice to begin with. The after-market support for the TL is minimal. So if you do have the patience or connections with more established companies, then by all means chime in, but if you don't then all you can do is take it or leave it.

I'll take a set. =)
Old 03-07-2007, 04:18 AM
I (don't) whine.

LOL, that bad huh? my friend had a vis hood on his prelude which seemed pretty nice and looked awesome... whats so bad about vis anyways? i don't think you should keep your negative comments to yourself..i'd like to know your bad experience..it doesn't hurt to know you know!
Old 03-07-2007, 06:34 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by ussi
LOL, that bad huh? my friend had a vis hood on his prelude which seemed pretty nice and looked awesome... whats so bad about vis anyways? i don't think you should keep your negative comments to yourself..i'd like to know your bad experience..it doesn't hurt to know you know!
I agree. Tell us if there has been a bad experience. I know everyone wants this mod, but we still need to know good and bad and then make an informative decision.

But don't keep chiming in with the voice of doom. That doesn't help.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:07 AM
Suzuka Master

purchased 2 hoods and 3 trunks through a VIS dealer (thank god).

2 trunks were VIS and 1 trunk was SEIBON, apparently they deal with each other.

the VIS trunk bolted up fine no problems, but has NO holes for the stock locations, just dimples on where to drill. the SEIBON trunk looked like OEM underneath, all the places for clips/wire harness were there and predrilled. the third trunk, VIS, did not fit AT ALL, needed to drill new holes in my trunk mounting brackets and source out different hardware to get it to work.

the VIS hood for the CL and the whole grill area was totalled cracked/broken. took about 4 months to get a replacement. it came in, and had to drill my own holes for the grill and anything else.

the VIS hood for the other car DID NOT FIT. it would NOT CLOSE. i had to drill holes in the fiberglass to get it to close. on the same day of installation the clearcoated began cracking and chipping in multiple locations. also after a week, the entire hood looked like someone walked all over it. it was entirely wavy and looked like shit. i have pictures if anyone is really interested. sent it back to VIS and they AGREED that it was a defect in the hood, but blamed the clearcoat cracking on ME when it happend the DAY i installed, not like i had be slamming the hood shut for months. sent it back, took about a month for them to say they would onyl give me half my money back because the cracking apparently caused by me could have resulted in the wavvyness of the hood. my dealer agreed this was unacceptable but this was all VIS would offer.

honestly, if you guys think VIS and SEIBON are top of the line in CF you are sadly mistaken. there are companies out there that far outweigh VIS. VIS is a crapshoot, you have a 50/50 chance of getting it in good condition. if you have to send it back to them, good luck, you are going to eat shipping costs, usually 100+ one way, and the chance of getting a replacement or your money back is slim to none.

and i know i'm not the only one. don't tell me you bought a hood for a civic, because buying a hood for a civic, and buying a hood for a $30,000 TL is 2 different things. i know personally i only put quality stuff on my cars. and i made the mistake of ordering through VIS. and before you say, why did you order so many parts from VIS if they are so bad, i made the order at once, for multiple cars, for multiple people. i only got the trunk/hood for my CL and thank god it worked out for me, but everyone else got screwed.

go contact carbon creations or someone with a better reputation than VIS.

btw custom service at VIS - if you keep calling trying to get your money back for a faulty product, they will just hang up on you.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:07 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
purchased 2 hoods and 3 trunks through a VIS dealer (thank god).

2 trunks were VIS and 1 trunk was SEIBON, apparently they deal with each other.

the VIS trunk bolted up fine no problems, but has NO holes for the stock locations, just dimples on where to drill. the SEIBON trunk looked like OEM underneath, all the places for clips/wire harness were there and predrilled. the third trunk, VIS, did not fit AT ALL, needed to drill new holes in my trunk mounting brackets and source out different hardware to get it to work.

the VIS hood for the CL and the whole grill area was totalled cracked/broken. took about 4 months to get a replacement. it came in, and had to drill my own holes for the grill and anything else.

the VIS hood for the other car DID NOT FIT. it would NOT CLOSE. i had to drill holes in the fiberglass to get it to close. on the same day of installation the clearcoated began cracking and chipping in multiple locations. also after a week, the entire hood looked like someone walked all over it. it was entirely wavy and looked like shit. i have pictures if anyone is really interested. sent it back to VIS and they AGREED that it was a defect in the hood, but blamed the clearcoat cracking on ME when it happend the DAY i installed, not like i had be slamming the hood shut for months. sent it back, took about a month for them to say they would onyl give me half my money back because the cracking apparently caused by me could have resulted in the wavvyness of the hood. my dealer agreed this was unacceptable but this was all VIS would offer.

honestly, if you guys think VIS and SEIBON are top of the line in CF you are sadly mistaken. there are companies out there that far outweigh VIS. VIS is a crapshoot, you have a 50/50 chance of getting it in good condition. if you have to send it back to them, good luck, you are going to eat shipping costs, usually 100+ one way, and the chance of getting a replacement or your money back is slim to none.

and i know i'm not the only one. don't tell me you bought a hood for a civic, because buying a hood for a civic, and buying a hood for a $30,000 TL is 2 different things. i know personally i only put quality stuff on my cars. and i made the mistake of ordering through VIS. and before you say, why did you order so many parts from VIS if they are so bad, i made the order at once, for multiple cars, for multiple people. i only got the trunk/hood for my CL and thank god it worked out for me, but everyone else got screwed.

go contact carbon creations or someone with a better reputation than VIS.

btw custom service at VIS - if you keep calling trying to get your money back for a faulty product, they will just hang up on you.
Correct in just about everything he says folks. Trust me. I have seen Seibon hoods that are supposed to be top of the line that are so impregnated with water that it doesnt look good at all.....as mentioned...foggy. VIS stuff is a gamble at best fitment wise and quality. Sometimes its ok...many times its not. And the customer service issues are definately something to be concerned with. To me...its one of those..well...I am gonna dump a boatload of cash here...and if I end up with poop....I will have nothing but experience left. So dont go spending big cash on CF products and expect a major rager guarantee behind it....cause most companies experience problems in their products at some time. Basically what you guys are purchasing is wet layout product...which is basically a cosmetic thing only and frankly NOT a strength product...and most people do not understand that. To make a proper product using pre-preg materials that would have a fit and finish like you wouldnt believe, be made from 100% carbon fiber and resin, a hood would probably cost you about $5000 if that tells you anything. That would have a fit and finish like OEM product...be durable and have unbelievable strengh...and basically be made to CART or Grand Prix standards....tollerances/thickness thoughout product are all controlled - really sweet product. BUT...what you guys want is poop made to look like that. You gotta understand that right off before you get into it....otherwise...you are going to be sadly let down with what you will get. And this $300 stuff....ya.....basically.....you get what you pay for. To me...it would be like going out and installing a Chevette grill on your TL and calling it cool or and upgrade. It would stand out like a sore thumb. Trust me.

Oh...sorry. To explain the difference I am talking about...its in Wet Layout product and Pre-Preg Product. Wet layout product is cheap, usually always backed with fiber glass or similar product for the strength it gets...otherwise you would have so much CF material in it...it would drive the cost through the roof. Basically wet layout would be like hand making a boat hull...but in the bottom layer...you placed a few layers of carbon fiber product to give it that carbon fiber look. Molds are cheap to make...dont last long...so the consistency of product gets hard for companies to control at times. THEN....you compare that to a Pre-Preg process....where as they use rolls of carbon fiber that are pre-impregnated with resins - much more exact - much easier to control consistency....molds last a LONG time but cost WAY more for the startup as ususally they are made on CAD equipment and expensive molds are produced EXACTLY - a male and female.....you layer your product....press it in the mold....press the mold layers together....vaccuum it up to remove air..and bake it off. They basically make CART parts this way...bottoms of cars...frames....things that have to have exact tollerances. Very pretty part in its raw state for gods sake, much less finished. And with the strength that you could make a valve cover in this process for an engine...ok? Get what I am saying? Night and day difference.

Basically...what I see people wanting....is the quality and finish of a pre-preg process product...out of a wet layout design process...and at garage sale prices. Folks....it aint happening! As he says...you gotta pay to play. And play is what it is too...cause in that...you also gotta be willing to take a loss eventually because most ALL of that wet layout product will not last over time. Its just a fact. How long it lasts is usually in the care by the user or lack of use of it. And by care...I would mean...oh...its snowing out...I am not gonna drive that car, ect. to the point to where it would get burdensome. So most understand that...put it on....and let errrr rip and when it goes...they toss it. But be ready for that game...cause thats the way it works. Wet layout CF in most applications.....will not last out in the elements....more than about three years before it starts to show...and may times before that.

I guess what I am saying...is if you are gonna get into the CF game and install major parts....know what you are doing and know what you are getting yourself into BEFORE you get off the ground. It is bound to make you a happier person in the end as you expectations would at least be set at the proper level.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:33 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
^---- very well said and very informative.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Correct in just about everything he says folks. Trust me. I have seen Seibon hoods that are supposed to be top of the line that are so impregnated with water that it doesnt look good at all.....as mentioned...foggy. VIS stuff is a gamble at best fitment wise and quality. Sometimes its ok...many times its not. And the customer service issues are definately something to be concerned with. To me...its one of those..well...I am gonna dump a boatload of cash here...and if I end up with poop....I will have nothing but experience left. So dont go spending big cash on CF products and expect a major rager guarantee behind it....cause most companies experience problems in their products at some time. Basically what you guys are purchasing is wet layout product...which is basically a cosmetic thing only and frankly NOT a strength product...and most people do not understand that. To make a proper product using pre-preg materials that would have a fit and finish like you wouldnt believe, be made from 100% carbon fiber and resin, a hood would probably cost you about $5000 if that tells you anything. That would have a fit and finish like OEM product...be durable and have unbelievable strengh...and basically be made to CART or Grand Prix standards....tollerances/thickness thoughout product are all controlled - really sweet product. BUT...what you guys want is poop made to look like that. You gotta understand that right off before you get into it....otherwise...you are going to be sadly let down with what you will get. And this $300 stuff....ya.....basically.....you get what you pay for. To me...it would be like going out and installing a Chevette grill on your TL and calling it cool or and upgrade. It would stand out like a sore thumb. Trust me.

Oh...sorry. To explain the difference I am talking about...its in Wet Layout product and Pre-Preg Product. Wet layout product is cheap, usually always backed with fiber glass or similar product for the strength it gets...otherwise you would have so much CF material in it...it would drive the cost through the roof. Basically wet layout would be like hand making a boat hull...but in the bottom layer...you placed a few layers of carbon fiber product to give it that carbon fiber look. Molds are cheap to make...dont last long...so the consistency of product gets hard for companies to control at times. THEN....you compare that to a Pre-Preg process....where as they use rolls of carbon fiber that are pre-impregnated with resins - much more exact - much easier to control consistency....molds last a LONG time but cost WAY more for the startup as ususally they are made on CAD equipment and expensive molds are produced EXACTLY - a male and female.....you layer your product....press it in the mold....press the mold layers together....vaccuum it up to remove air..and bake it off. They basically make CART parts this way...bottoms of cars...frames....things that have to have exact tollerances. Very pretty part in its raw state for gods sake, much less finished. And with the strength that you could make a valve cover in this process for an engine...ok? Get what I am saying? Night and day difference.

Basically...what I see people wanting....is the quality and finish of a pre-preg process product...out of a wet layout design process...and at garage sale prices. Folks....it aint happening! As he says...you gotta pay to play. And play is what it is too...cause in that...you also gotta be willing to take a loss eventually because most ALL of that wet layout product will not last over time. Its just a fact. How long it lasts is usually in the care by the user or lack of use of it. And by care...I would mean...oh...its snowing out...I am not gonna drive that car, ect. to the point to where it would get burdensome. So most understand that...put it on....and let errrr rip and when it goes...they toss it. But be ready for that game...cause thats the way it works. Wet layout CF in most applications.....will not last out in the elements....more than about three years before it starts to show...and may times before that.

I guess what I am saying...is if you are gonna get into the CF game and install major parts....know what you are doing and know what you are getting yourself into BEFORE you get off the ground. It is bound to make you a happier person in the end as you expectations would at least be set at the proper level.
this guy knows what he's talking about. i didn't get into the different quality hoods because i think they are way out of the league of what people are wanting. the toyota/lexus scene make hoods exactly what you are talking about, and the guys that buy those dont play any games. and yea, their basically like $3,000-5,000 AND they need to be exported from japan. like he said, i'm just letting you guys in on a glimpse of things to come. if you take my advice, go with someone with better quality stuff, better service, pay a little more, but get 10 solid made trunks that fit, rather than 5 that do and 5 that dont.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mikey, use more paragraphs!! But he is correct, the CF hoods and parts we put on cars are just fiberglass pieces with CF over them, they are not 100% CF.

I myself had good luck with a VIS hood for my Prelude. It held up well, but the car was babied.

Its hard for manufactures to maintain a consitant mix on materials and the molds break down with each use. Having worked with CF, I really understand how much difference there can be in the items.

As for producing a hood and trunk for $600, you must be CRAZY!!!!
Old 03-07-2007, 11:00 AM
I like to whistle in my

..good stuff..got my lesson for the day
Old 03-07-2007, 11:43 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
Mikey, use more paragraphs!! But he is correct, the CF hoods and parts we put on cars are just fiberglass pieces with CF over them, they are not 100% CF.

I myself had good luck with a VIS hood for my Prelude. It held up well, but the car was babied.

Its hard for manufactures to maintain a consitant mix on materials and the molds break down with each use. Having worked with CF, I really understand how much difference there can be in the items.

As for producing a hood and trunk for $600, you must be CRAZY!!!!
lol....I actually started out trying to condense it down a bit...then kept going anyway....lol.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Safety Car

lol....I actually started out trying to condense it down a bit...then kept going anyway....lol.
Wow, very informative post, thank you. Just out of curiosity, I remember you had a CF hood. What kind was it? Would you be able to get those produced again?
Old 03-07-2007, 12:58 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Meek32v6
..good stuff..got my lesson for the day
by the way... awesome avatar!
Old 03-07-2007, 01:29 PM
I (don't) whine.

Originally Posted by aznbo187
Wow, very informative post, thank you. Just out of curiosity, I remember you had a CF hood. What kind was it? Would you be able to get those produced again?
Mike and I both have the versus double sided CF hood.

Quick Reply: 3G TL carbon fiber trunk?