Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3G-TL auto-trans fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3G-TL auto-trans fluid change

I'm going to tackle the automatic transmission fluid change (when the weather warms up a bit - 24 degrees now). Does anyone have photos of the plastic (or whatever) cover that needs to be moved that's in the way of the drain bolt? I've read the D.I.Y. on the process and am trying to get all my ducks in a row. Also when you change out the first batch of fluid and go on the road test, do you have to replace that plastic piece or can the car be driven without breaking anything? Any other words of wisdom from experienced trans-fluid changers? I have all the tools and am not afraid to tackle these projects as long as I've done my homework in advance. This is a great forum for support for "semi-mechanics" like myself.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by cristphoto
I'm going to tackle the automatic transmission fluid change (when the weather warms up a bit - 24 degrees now). Does anyone have photos of the plastic (or whatever) cover that needs to be moved that's in the way of the drain bolt? I've read the D.I.Y. on the process and am trying to get all my ducks in a row. Also when you change out the first batch of fluid and go on the road test, do you have to replace that plastic piece or can the car be driven without breaking anything? Any other words of wisdom from experienced trans-fluid changers? I have all the tools and am not afraid to tackle these projects as long as I've done my homework in advance. This is a great forum for support for "semi-mechanics" like myself.
The panel is long and narrow and you don't take it off. You leave one of the bolts attached, but loosened and just swing the panel to the side to expose the drain plug. This plastic panel is reinforced with a metal strap as you can see in the picture below.

I didn't drive the car between drains. I just ran the engine and shifted through the gears with the emergency brake on for several minutes at idle.

If the panel is not touching the tire (even when cornering), it probably would not hurt anything to leave it on while driving around the block as long as the one bolt is snug.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks a lot. So the panel is the black ribbed piece that appears to have small perferations.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by cristphoto
Thanks a lot. So the panel is the black ribbed piece that appears to have small perferations.
Yes. They're indents, actually.

I'm trying to remember if you leave the back fastener in and take the right one out to swing it away... I'm pretty sure that's it. You will be able to tell once you get under there. Refer to the detailed thread in the 3G Garage section.