Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 TL trans fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 02:05 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 TL trans fluid change

Well after reading on here on and off for quite some time I figured I would change the ATF on my 2008 TL. Holy cow! The fluid was brown and looked like motor oil versus pink ATF. The trans pan plug was caked with particles on the magnet. All of this at 52,000 miles with a vast majority of them from open road and highway driving. I rarely even floor this car with the exception of once and a while just to make sure all is good. The car is really driven easily, does not get beat on at all. I did the 3x3 to Redline ATF D4 and hope it wasn't a waste of money to step it up to synthetic. The last change it actually took 4 quarts to fill completely when warm, it is just slightly above the top hole in the dipstick marked hot. I have not driven the car really since changing due to being on vacation and no need to leave the house but if it shifts any differently than previously I will post up a follow up.

I just ordered another $200 worth of fluid and filters to do my fiances MDX which is at the same mileage. I will be changing out her ATF, transfer case, and rear differential with all synthetic (Redline D4 in the trans and rear diff, valvoline in the transfer case). Both cars will be getting new cabin and engine filters.

I don't even want to know what the dealership would have charged for all of this fluid, belts & filter changing????
I am guessing it would not have been pretty. I will probably do the brake fluid in the next few weeks and hopefully this will keep both vehicles on track to 100k miles since they both look like new, as long as they keep running I am in no rush to start car payments since both are paid off.

Last edited by Red89gt; 12-29-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts
What are your driving impressions since the 3 x 3 change?

Still debating whether to switch to the new Honda DW1 or Redline.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottwax
What are your driving impressions since the 3 x 3 change?

Still debating whether to switch to the new Honda DW1 or Redline.
Me too... I've read so much on trans fluid on acurazine that my head is about to explode. My trans seems to shift fine... Not too hard and not too soft. I was thinking about DW-1 also but some people say Redline type F and some say Redline D4 or light weight or some say a mixture of Redline with DW-1 aghhhhhhhhh....
Old 12-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You want to use a mixture of redline Type F + redline D4. That should give you the best results
Old 12-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,434 Posts
Originally Posted by Red89gt
Well after reading on here on and off for quite some time I figured I would change the ATF on my 2008 TL. Holy cow! The fluid was brown and looked like motor oil versus pink ATF. The trans pan plug was caked with particles on the magnet. All of this at 52,000 miles with a vast majority of them from open road and highway driving. I rarely even floor this car with the exception of once and a while just to make sure all is good. The car is really driven easily, does not get beat on at all. I did the 3x3 to Redline ATF D4 and hope it wasn't a waste of money to step it up to synthetic. The last change it actually took 4 quarts to fill completely when warm, it is just slightly above the top hole in the dipstick marked hot. I have not driven the car really since changing due to being on vacation and no need to leave the house but if it shifts any differently than previously I will post up a follow up.

I just ordered another $200 worth of fluid and filters to do my fiances MDX which is at the same mileage. I will be changing out her ATF, transfer case, and rear differential with all synthetic (Redline D4 in the trans and rear diff, valvoline in the transfer case). Both cars will be getting new cabin and engine filters.

I don't even want to know what the dealership would have charged for all of this fluid, belts & filter changing????
I am guessing it would not have been pretty. I will probably do the brake fluid in the next few weeks and hopefully this will keep both vehicles on track to 100k miles since they both look like new, as long as they keep running I am in no rush to start car payments since both are paid off.
In the MDX the rear differential uses SH-AWD fluid now vs. traditional transmission fluid (Honda Z-1) because of the new Honda DW1 transmission formulation. It wasn't suited to the stresses of the differential and thus a new fluid.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 181 Posts
^ I have a Pilot that uses the same rear differential fluid as the MDX- you want VTM-4. The differential fluid comes out pink and I wouldn't mess with aftermarket fluids for that at all- you are asking for trouble.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by csmeance
In the MDX the rear differential uses SH-AWD fluid now vs. traditional transmission fluid (Honda Z-1) because of the new Honda DW1 transmission formulation. It wasn't suited to the stresses of the differential and thus a new fluid.
Grrr. Ordered extra d4 to do rear diff.
Based on it took z1 before, should be good with d4 since d4 meets z1 specs?
Old 12-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Instructor

Tl drives fine with new fluid. Z1 from factory looked terrible brown. Synthetic should be an improvement vs z1 Dino oil especially with Chicago temp swings from winter to summer.

Going to synth both cars front to back.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
^ I have a Pilot that uses the same rear differential fluid as the MDX- you want VTM-4. The differential fluid comes out pink and I wouldn't mess with aftermarket fluids for that at all- you are asking for trouble.
Ok, thank you.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lilusadude
Me too... I've read so much on trans fluid on acurazine that my head is about to explode. My trans seems to shift fine... Not too hard and not too soft. I was thinking about DW-1 also but some people say Redline type F and some say Redline D4 or light weight or some say a mixture of Redline with DW-1 aghhhhhhhhh....
I'm in this same boat. Just got mine and it shifts fine, just a little paranoid after reading on here though.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Loid
I'm in this same boat. Just got mine and it shifts fine, just a little paranoid after reading on here though.
acura and/or ATF makers should pay this forum LOL

same thing happened to me when i got my TL from 1st owner in september, ended up doing tranny, coolant, pressure switches, spark plugs and numerous DIYs to eliminate damn rattles.

would i have been fine if i didn't do any of those? probably.

am i glad i did? yes. i was bored and spending money on my car makes me happy.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:22 PM
Instructor

For 2007 up awd DPSF from Acura is the replacement to z1 for the rear differential fluid only. DW1 replaces the Z1 for the front trans/diff or transaxle.

Making assumption for now redline ATF d4 is alternate for z1 it can be used in the rear diff since the diff originally called for z1 before being phased out. I will have to verify somehow before I change out factory fill.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 181 Posts
As a side note, I just changed my Pilot's ATF today at 70K with the Redline Type-F. I last changed the ATF at 50K (Z1) and swapped out the 3/4 sensors then. There was much less wear on the plug than last time, so I'm hoping the sensors really did help. The fluid came out pinkish but looked a little dirty as well. I think the every 20K interval is a good compromise over the 3x3.

My shifts with the Type-F are 'crisp' now just like my TL too.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Red- have you considered changing out the 3rd & 4th sensors since you are doing all this maintenance?
Old 12-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Instructor

Are the sensors preventative maint on a 2008?
I only ever see people doing that on model years up to 2006 when I was looking around.

Yeah spent about $300 in fluid and filters for both cars. Most owners do nothing but oil (jiffy lube coupons)and the cars run forever. I will be pissed if I have trouble after doing all this work and all the maint I keep up on. If $300 the dealer prob would have been $900 and 50/50 they do it right. Not looking forward to timing belts that will need to be done at same time since both cars are running same pace of mileage. Not sure if fiancé will keep her mdx until 100k, there has been talk of an escalade lol.

Last edited by Red89gt; 12-30-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,434 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
The Pilot's 4WD system is the VTM-4 system which requires VTM-4 fluid. 2007+ MDX's have SH-AWD which require the special differential oil and NOT VTM-4.

Grrr. Ordered extra d4 to do rear diff.
Based on it took z1 before, should be good with d4 since d4 meets z1 specs?
I think it should be fine as Redline D4 is a substitute for Z-1 which originally came in the axle.

For 2007 up awd DPSF from Acura is the replacement to z1 for the rear differential fluid only. DW1 replaces the Z1 for the front trans/diff or transaxle.

Making assumption for now redline ATF d4 is alternate for z1 it can be used in the rear diff since the diff originally called for z1 before being phased out. I will have to verify somehow before I change out factory fill.
^agree
Old 12-30-2011, 08:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
The fact that the new thinner DW-1 fluid is not up to the stresses (assuming sheer stress) of the transfer case should tell you something.

DW-1 falls under the new fuel saving thinner ATFs. You might see a .5mpg improvement with it if you live in a cold area, no measurable improvement in normal areas.

A DexIII fluid like D4 should be fine for the transfer case.

D4 is also a very safe fluid for the trans. It's non controversial, better than stock in that it's synthetic so you get the better cold flow and high temp breakdown resistance plus it has less FM than factory fluid meaning less clutch wear.

In the transfer case it should be ok but again, you're changing the frictional characteristics. I would have no problem using it in my own car. If there's no shudder and the vehicle turns and handles normally, you're probably ok.

I personally will only use Type F in the trans but I'm beyond sick of that discussion.

Using Type F in the transfer case is probably not a good idea. I've never looked at one to see how the Honda unit manages slip. This is one area where too little FM could give problems. I would not recommend it to anyone. If it uses a clutch system I definitely would stay away from it.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:47 AM
Instructor

Transfer case gets 80w90 and The rear diff was factory fill was z1 ATF.
IHC I am following you I just didn't want to confuse someone else silently reading.
I will be servicing the rear with redline d4 and the transfer case with valvoline synthetic 80w90 I had from another project.

I don't doubt your type f and lol don't want to touch that on this thread.
Do you have any input on the pressure switches being changed on 2008 TL or was that no longer an issue with the new transmission?
Old 12-31-2011, 09:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Transfer case gets 80w90 and The rear diff was factory fill was z1 ATF.
IHC I am following you I just didn't want to confuse someone else silently reading.
I will be servicing the rear with redline d4 and the transfer case with valvoline synthetic 80w90 I had from another project.

I don't doubt your type f and lol don't want to touch that on this thread.
Do you have any input on the pressure switches being changed on 2008 TL or was that no longer an issue with the new transmission?
Pressure switches on the newer transmissions are hard to say. I have no first hand experience with them so I can only assume based on the track record from '98 to '06. The most likely will need the same 2-3yr replacement as the others.

So the transfer case specs 80w-90? That's like a 40wt engine oil, I can see why they say not to use DW-1 in it. I've been sick with pneumonia for the past few days and going back and reading some of my posts I'm like WTF was I thinking lol.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:52 AM
Instructor

I had pluracy a few years ago, it sucked a$$, take care.

Few hours of changing fluid on mdx in que today, not looking forward to laying on cold garage floor.

I will see on the pressure switches not sure if I am going to mess with them. Glad I Changed out the ATF though. It was shot!
Old 01-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just changed the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches on my '04 TL with 123k miles. The job went very smoothly. Drained the fluid and it was light brown with a pink tint. I believe it was DW-1. Refilled it with DW-1. The plug had no large metal shavings, only a little black film (or "grahdue" as we say in Louisiana) on it. I filled the transmission with 4 quarts and it was about a 1/2"-3/4" above the top hole on the dipstick while warm. Do you think I'll be okay or should I drain some?
Old 01-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Instructor

You should be okay.
Same here, just filled and 3.5 qrt wasn't enough but 4 qrt just put the level over the full line.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:37 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
04 TL and have been using Redline D4 for over a year and couldn't be happier. Tranny shifts smooth and fluid still has a nice sweet smell and pinkish color.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Instructor

All right all maintenance done for this week:
TL
-3x3 Redline D4 ATF (took 4 quarts on last fill)
-cabin filter
-serpentine belt
-air filter
-oil change
MDX
-3x3 redline d4 atf (took just shy 4 quarts last fill)
-air filter
-cabin filter
-transfer case 80W90 (took half a quart)
-rear differential redline d4 atf
-serpentine belt
-oil change

I am tired, long day in the garage hopefully I don't have to touch either car for awhile or at least until spring when the engine oil changes will go to synthetic as well. I will take a guess I saved an a$$ load of money from what the dealer would have charged for all that maintenance. Both vehicles were just over 52k miles. My girlfriend is the primary driver on the mdx and I am on the TL. Spring I will change out brake fluid on both and that should be it until the timing belts are on deck at 100k. Sneaking suspicion I will be attacking those versus paying dealer $1,000 for each car. I think that is when the coolant needs to be changed as well, not sure on that one, will have to check the maintenance schedule in the book.

The TL's trans fluid looked like motor oil at 52k and the MDX actually wasn't that bad, at least it had some red hue to it yet.
The MDX's transfer case and the rear differential both looked really good for not being changed since factory fill.

Glad it is done and done by me so I know it was performed correctly. Just have to keep up on the oil changes and tire rotations now. Neither one of us have any intentions on buying a new daily driver at this point. More toy cars, now that is a different story. Everything in the garage is paid for so it is time to put in the first lift and start stacking on the side load Oh and the 72" roller tool box

Last edited by Red89gt; 01-07-2012 at 06:24 PM.