Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 TL Maintenance Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Received 300 Likes on 142 Posts
2008 TL Maintenance Schedule

I have been searching for some time now about the maintenance schedule for the TL.

I read all the threads I found with the search option and read how the MID calculates depending on driving conditions the service it needs.

I was hesitating about starting a new thread unless needed. But after yesterdays service appointment I need to ask from all you who are more knowledgeable than me about this car.

My car is 08, bought new off the dealer and it has something called Platinum Package of Maintenance. I believe this means basic services like oil and filter changed have been paid for up front mainly because it's a lease and they want the unit to be properly taken care of. Please correct me if wrong.

I have so many questions on this because I really don't know what it would include or not and due to our cars in PR being serviced every 3k miles and not every 5k miles it's more difficult to keep up. But I am pretty sure it just includes oil and filter change maybe air filter at most.

Last service was yesterday. It's the 15K service. They indicate they will change oil and filter, rotate tires.

Now that's whats included in the Platinum I understand but they have the following recommendations not covered:

Tire Balancing for 29.95
Fuel Injectors Cleanse for 99.99
Engine Flush for 149.99

Service personal explains how I need to take care of these things as it's proper preventive maintenance scheduled for every 15K miles.

I said look just do the basic maintenance and call me when it's ready. I cannot beleive the car would need injector service and a full engine flush at a shy 15k miles. Previous Hondas with less technology in their motors would push 100k easily without getting such in depth maintenance.

The 12K mark was similar, they recommended brake system flush and power steering fluid change since it appeared to be of a different color showing usage signs. I agreed just because I just felt bad at every visit saying push it to the next service. They charged me about 70 for the both procedures.

9K mark was also funny at least to me.

They recommended:
Washing the motor for 29.95
Oiling the brake pad pins for 59.95
Cleaning the throttle body for 79.95

Service person went on explaining how the dust could build up in the throttle affecting my MPG etc etc..

I said again just do basic.. I'll clean the motor at home, I will take the filter box off and wipe the throttle just in case there is EXCESSIVE buildup at 9k miles! and finally how do the brake pads look? She said perfectly new.. so I said well if that's the case I'm pretty sure the pins are also fine and need no oiling..

So all in all, I want to know what has been your experience on this.

What is a real guide to what the car REALLY needs again i FULLY understand what you guys talk about the MID calculating the needed maintenance but I am being sent to Service every 3K miles for basic oil and filter change and I really want to go up front and know what to expect for example the Air Filter? What time millage should it be changed cause I would rather buy it off multiple online sellers and install myself that having the dealer sell me the element and charging at $80 an hour rate to install.

This is my first off the dealer Acura.. I've had 4 Honda's all modified some with swaps etc. and I have always performed the maintenance on them but this car has to be taken to the dealer due to the up front service paid which was part of the lease deals. I paid nothing extra for this, it is covered by the leasing company.

Sorry if I have ranted so long but I am just really interested in what all you have to say.

Next visit I will be asking them for a copy of a list they have stating what the basic maintenance is due at every 3K but they always head out to the PC to check out what is reccomended so I have no access to that.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
I'll cut it short, just go by the MID and factory authorized maintenance schedule, look in the owner's manual. Do not go by the dealer's schedule as they are there to make money with the added services. Naturally, if wheel balance needs to be done do so, but if not noticed while driving, forget about that service.

As far as what is covered by the Premium Package, you'll need to get that info from the dealer. IMHO it's just another way to get you in with the free oil changes, if that's included, and to sell more services that aren't needed, or required.

Last edited by Turbonut; 08-09-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

I also had found this:

Acura Maintenance Minder

The maintenance minder system shows engine oil life in the information display to let you know when it's time to have the engine oil replaced and regular maintenance done. There's no longer a maintenance schedule in the O/M. The system shows engine oil life as a percentage, which drops over time as the vehicle racks up miles. It starts out at 100% with fresh engine oil, and winds down to 0%, signaling the oil life is over. The system counts down oil life based on engine operating conditions (both normal and severe). If the engine runs at higher temperatures and rpm, or at low temperatures during short trips, the oil life will deplete faster than an engine running under more normal conditions.
Depending on the oil life percentage, the system shows three different messages when you turn the ignition switch to ON (II). Here's what you could see:
When the oil life reaches 15%, you'll also see a two-part maintenance item code. This code tells you what items need servicing when you have the engine oil replaced. The first part of the code is the main code. It's either A or B, never both. See below for details.
The second part of the code is the sub-code. It's numbered 1 thru 5 in vehicles without 4WD, and 1 thru 6 in vehicles with 4WD. These sub-codes can show up in any combination. Here's what they mean:
  • Oil Life Message What to Do
    • 15% SERVICE
      • DUE SOON - Plan to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance
    • 5% SERVICE
      • DUE NOW - Take your vehicle in now for scheduled maintenance
    • 0% SERVICE
      • PAST DUE (Mileage past due is also shown) Service is overdue. Take your vehicle in now for scheduled maintenance
  • Main Code What It Means
    • A Replace just the engine oil.
    • B Replace the engine oil and the oil filter, rotate the tires, inspect the front and rear brakes, check the parking brake adjustment, and inspect several other items listed in the O/M.
  • Sub-code What It Means
    • 1 Rotate the tires.
    • 2 Replace the air cleaner element, check the drive belt, and replace the dust and pollen filter.
    • 3 Replace the transmission fluid and transfer fluid (if equipped).
    • 4 Replace the spark plugs, replace the timing belt (if equipped), inspect the water pump, and inspect valve clearance.
    • 5 Replace the engine coolant.
    • 6 Replace the rear differential fluid (if equipped).
Thanks to B. Borkey of Piazza Acura, Westchester, PA, for this overview.

Taken from Maintenance Minder

But how can I know which service is due since I am taking the car every 3k miles.. oil % is always greater than 60%

I have never had the MID tell me I need maintenance.. plus I am also pampering this car when driving.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Originally Posted by Turbonut
I'll cut it short, just go by the MID and factory authorized maintenance schedule, look in the owner's manual. Do not go by the dealer's schedule as they are there to make money with the added services. Naturally, if wheel balance needs to be done do so, but if not noticed while driving, forget about that service.
Thanks for your reply. Problem is the MID never indicated anything since my Schedule per dealer request is every 3k miles.

I balance tires and align the car every 12 or 15 k miles.. some roads in PR are a bit harsh so I'd rather balance and align the car just in case for proper tire wear.

I will do it this next weekend and save the receipt in case the ask me about alignment, which I forgot to mention was recommended at the 12K mark.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Wait until the MID directs you to service the vehicle. The specific codes will appear and that code will dictate what needs to be done, and alignment every 12K is rediculos. Maybe the dealer is resetting the MID everytime it's in for service.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by EL BAN
Thanks for your reply. Problem is the MID never indicated anything since my Schedule per dealer request is every 3k miles.

I balance tires and align the car every 12 or 15 k miles.. some roads in PR are a bit harsh so I'd rather balance and align the car just in case for proper tire wear.
I'm with Turbo-- go with the MID, even with the "Platinum Package"-- everything else recommended by your dealer thus far is unnecessary and wasteful (both from a money and ecological standpoint) for you, but profitable for the dealer.

Your dealer is going with a service schedule applicable to a 1980 Honda-- I don't think any Honda/Acura produced since 1990 has required a 3,000 mile service.

Just let the Maintenance Minder catch up for the next service-- oil changes until @ 30K, then change of air filters and brake fluid.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Turbonut/Will thanks for the info..

I only saw the MID for the first Maintenance.

I took it in with 5200 miles on it. And it said A1 which I understand perfectly.

But they said you should have brought it it at 3K miles.. we will service you the 3K and 6K maintenance together.. which ended up being the same thing really.

I went in again at 9K, 12K and 15K yesterday.

MID never reaches the point where it indicates the service needed since I'm going in at 2K intervals before at dealer request.

Afraid if I do not take in every 3K they will get on me for not servicing the car as recommended.. I argued this at the first maintenance but they strongly affirm that since PR has more rough driving conditions due to roads and temperature they do maintenance every 3K instead of the 5K..

I would have to wait for the MID to go off and as I stated I am driving like a granny so it would comfortably go more than 5K before in indicates anything..

At the 5200 mark my oil was at 15% and got to 10% while heading to the dealer..

Thanks for your input..

Any way reading the MID before it calls out the service by itself?
Old 08-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Any of the services not listed in the MM schedule are not required. The other services you mentioned are helpful, but should not be required for proof of proper maintenance. I hope to keep my car a long time and trust the MM system. It sounds like the dealer is saying you need these extra services as a way to get more money. I would argue that I'm following what honda tells me to do. If those services are so vital why are they not included with the other ones?
Old 08-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Originally Posted by lowgrowl
Any of the services not listed in the MM schedule are not required. The other services you mentioned are helpful, but should not be required for proof of proper maintenance. I hope to keep my car a long time and trust the MM system. It sounds like the dealer is saying you need these extra services as a way to get more money. I would argue that I'm following what honda tells me to do. If those services are so vital why are they not included with the other ones?
Completely agree with you but I can't prove anything since I can't find a Maintenance Schedule written down to say to them look this is what is stated to be done and nothing else.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

I am going over the invoices and this is the break down:

First Service:
5000 miles
Oil and Filter was changed (this appears on the invoice)
They said they would rotate the tires.. dunno if they did since it does not appear on the invoice.

I paid $0.00

Second Service:
9000 miles
They said they would rotate the tires.. again it does not appear on the invoice.

I paid $0.00

Third Service:
12,000 miles
Element Air Cleaner also appears on invoice
3 units of ATF-Z1 so I understand they also did the tranny fluid.
They said they would rotate the tires.. again it does not appear on the invoice.

They recommended Power Steering and Brake fluid and system flush which I agreed to do since they strongly advised to do it since it appeared a different color tone denoting wear. I agreed.

I paid $71.68

Forth Service:
15,000 miles
Oil and Filter was changed

They recommended the things stated on the original post
Tire balance 30, injector flush 100 and Engine Flush 150, turned down all.

I paid $0.00
Old 08-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
... I can't find a Maintenance Schedule written down to say to them look this is what is stated to be done and nothing else.
The Maintenance Minder codes are in the owner's manual- pg. 208 or so.
...They said they would rotate the tires.. dunno if they did since it does not appear on the invoice.
The invoice should say it if they did it. However, I'd check the tires b/f and after to make sure they were rotated (it's pretty important to make sure the tires wear evenly).
If you know your individual wheels/tires by sight, look. If you don't know the wheels by sight, go to the dealer with dirty wheels (usually more brake dust up front) or mark the rear tire sidewalls with chalk to make sure the rears end up in the front.

Oh, and most fluids other than brake fluid & coolant change color after a couple thousand miles-- a slight color change is not an indicator of a need to change.

Last edited by Will Y.; 08-09-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Oh, and most fluids other than brake fluid & coolant change color after a couple thousand miles-- a slight color change is not an indicator of a need to change.
On the color of the fluid!

Maintenance codes:
2007 manual has it on pg 278.

or:
Start at 272 and hit the arrow to turn pages until you get to 278
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...707O00272A.pdf
Old 08-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

On the color of the fluid!

Maintenance codes:
2007 manual has it on pg 278.

or:
Start at 272 and hit the arrow to turn pages until you get to 278
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...707O00272A.pdf
Thanks all for your answers
Old 08-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

I wonder how they are calculating what is needed then since the Maintenance Minder isn't requesting any service?
Old 08-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Suzuka Master

I wonder how they are calculating what is needed then since the Maintenance Minder isn't requesting any service?
The service manager sees an owner and wonders what service they can sell so that his pay check is inflated by the sale.

They do it to everybody, welcome to the dealership sales.
On our 2008 knock around economy car, the 30K service at the dealer is $495, but all that needs to be replaced is air filter, cabin filter, and fuel tank air filter. I spent $52 on the items.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

The service manager sees an owner and wonders what service they can sell so that his pay check is inflated by the sale.

They do it to everybody, welcome to the dealership sales.
On our 2008 knock around economy car, the 30K service at the dealer is $495, but all that needs to be replaced is air filter, cabin filter, and fuel tank air filter. I spent $52 on the items.

I am definitely gonna keep turning down the recommended service from them.. stick with the basics and work myself all other things they recommend in case I understand it's needed..
Old 08-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Suzuka Master

I am definitely gonna keep turning down the recommended service from them.. stick with the basics and work myself all other things they recommend in case I understand it's needed..
Good for you.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Racer

My friend all you need to do is when a service code comes up, pull out the manual and see what it says to do. I would seriously suggest to take the time to read the maintenance section of the owners manual thoroughly You might actually find you know the facts more than the service advisers do. If they try to push other stuff, just say this is what you want done and that's it.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

My friend all you need to do is when a service code comes up, pull out the manual and see what it says to do. I would seriously suggest to take the time to read the maintenance section of the owners manual thoroughly You might actually find you know the facts more than the service advisers do. If they try to push other stuff, just say this is what you want done and that's it.
Thanks buddy.. but that is the main problem.. service code NEVER comes up cause the car gets serviced automatically way before it should due to the dealer request to pull in every 3K miles..

I understand all the Maintenance minder codes... problem is I never get to see them cause service is done before the car requests it..
Old 08-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys, I have searched, but to no avail, the MID today notifies me that B1 service is due. Anyone been through this yet, or anyone feel cool enough to post a thread that i could not find. TIA- i am at 23,500
Old 08-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Originally Posted by jeowen
Hey guys, I have searched, but to no avail, the MID today notifies me that B1 service is due. Anyone been through this yet, or anyone feel cool enough to post a thread that i could not find. TIA- i am at 23,500
Read this bro..

Acura Maintenance Minder

The maintenance minder system shows engine oil life in the information display to let you know when it's time to have the engine oil replaced and regular maintenance done. There's no longer a maintenance schedule in the O/M. The system shows engine oil life as a percentage, which drops over time as the vehicle racks up miles. It starts out at 100% with fresh engine oil, and winds down to 0%, signaling the oil life is over. The system counts down oil life based on engine operating conditions (both normal and severe). If the engine runs at higher temperatures and rpm, or at low temperatures during short trips, the oil life will deplete faster than an engine running under more normal conditions.
Depending on the oil life percentage, the system shows three different messages when you turn the ignition switch to ON (II). Here's what you could see:
When the oil life reaches 15%, you'll also see a two-part maintenance item code. This code tells you what items need servicing when you have the engine oil replaced. The first part of the code is the main code. It's either A or B, never both. See below for details.
The second part of the code is the sub-code. It's numbered 1 thru 5 in vehicles without 4WD, and 1 thru 6 in vehicles with 4WD. These sub-codes can show up in any combination. Here's what they mean:
  • Oil Life Message What to Do
    • 15% SERVICE
      • DUE SOON - Plan to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance
    • 5% SERVICE
      • DUE NOW - Take your vehicle in now for scheduled maintenance
    • 0% SERVICE
      • PAST DUE (Mileage past due is also shown) Service is overdue. Take your vehicle in now for scheduled maintenance
  • Main Code What It Means
    • A Replace just the engine oil.
    • B Replace the engine oil and the oil filter, rotate the tires, inspect the front and rear brakes, check the parking brake adjustment, and inspect several other items listed in the O/M.
  • Sub-code What It Means
    • 1 Rotate the tires.
    • 2 Replace the air cleaner element, check the drive belt, and replace the dust and pollen filter.
    • 3 Replace the transmission fluid and transfer fluid (if equipped).
    • 4 Replace the spark plugs, replace the timing belt (if equipped), inspect the water pump, and inspect valve clearance.
    • 5 Replace the engine coolant.
    • 6 Replace the rear differential fluid (if equipped).
Thanks to B. Borkey of Piazza Acura, Westchester, PA, for this overview.

B means:

B Replace the engine oil and the oil filter, rotate the tires, inspect the front and rear brakes, check the parking brake adjustment, and inspect several other items listed in the O/M.

1 means:

1 Rotate the tires.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
awesome, thank you
Old 08-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Originally Posted by jeowen
awesome, thank you
Old 08-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Racer

Boy oh boy. I can't believe it. I would go to another dealer and explain the problem. Find out if they can reset the system. You mean when they've been servicing it they never reset the MM!! That's crazy

Thanks buddy.. but that is the main problem.. service code NEVER comes up cause the car gets serviced automatically way before it should due to the dealer request to pull in every 3K miles..

I understand all the Maintenance minder codes... problem is I never get to see them cause service is done before the car requests it..
Old 08-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Boy oh boy. I can't believe it. I would go to another dealer and explain the problem. Find out if they can reset the system. You mean when they've been servicing it they never reset the MM!! That's crazy
No.. the total opposite.. MM never comes up cause we service early.. When it goes in I assume they reset again thus the car always get's maintenance earlier than needed. This is a positive thing I would say.. Whats not positive is all the recommended services they throw at me every time I go..

I will stick with all your recommendations and tell them to do what Acura specifies with no added service..

BTW we only had one service center in PR.. we now have two..