2007 Acura TL Oil Change/ Washing

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Acura TL Oil Change/ Washing

Hi Folks,

New TL guy here.....

any body have information on oil changes on the TL? Coming from a vehicle that had to have its oil changed every "3000 miles" , i am interested to know about the oil change intervals and maintenance intervals on a 2007 TL.

Do I just go by the oil life indicator on the MID and the other Maintenance messages that come up on the MID ( A, B, C messages , etc....)?? Dealer said oil change intervals are around 7500 miles and is pretty accurate with the percentages remaining on oil life on the MID. Any info/experience? Other than oil changes, is there really any major scheduled services not noted that i should be aware of?

Also, since I am now going to become a car cleaning fanatic---is Turtle Wax Wheel Cleaner safe on TL wheels?? I know they are alloy but they look painted, so I wasn't sure if they could possibly damage the paint on the wheel.

In addition, anybody use armor all wipes rather than the spray bottle? Any pro's or con's? Anything you rather recommend?

Sorry for the long post, but Any info would be great!

drive safe.

-afo
Old 01-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Follow the MID, it will start reminding you to change your oil when you have less that 15% oil life left.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
haha i'd like to get some information slash answers on his questions also
Old 01-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
read thru the main thread titles for tips on what goes wrong
read the Off Topic section -Wash and Wax, all the detailing info you could ever want- stay away from armorall-

call acura and register as new owner=ask if any recalls open= need doing
1-800-382-2238x5
everyone should register- thats also who sends out recall notices and needs an address for you
Old 01-19-2010, 02:57 PM
私を知らない

I follow the MID and change the oil around 10-15%.

I can't speak for Turtle wax products since I dont use them, but I do use P21S Wheel Cleaner for my TL-S wheels and let it soak. The brake dust melts right off.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Cruisin'

thanks for the heads up on the MID/Oil life info guys. And the wax/wash section of the forums.

going to give acura a call tomorrow and register my car.

on a side note, good call on the armorall. did a small section of the dash with it, and it could be almost as greasy under the hood. Disgusting.

Switched to Meguiars natural shine protectant, looking forward to using it this weekend.

-AFO
Old 01-19-2010, 05:05 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
find a good local mechanic to do your maintenance stuff. dealers usually charge an arm and a leg for silly things like oil changes disguised as big service packages.

research in the wash and wax and google reviews for anything/everything.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Oil change takes < 20 mins on the TL.. buy a jack, some stands, a pan, some kitchen size ziploc bags & your set. Real easy access to the filter..

More important question is what type of oil & filter to use.. Good thing it's been asked & answered a million times on this board so search!! My preference - RP Filters & decent group IV or V synthetic.. I'm running RP right now and it feels like it runs well but the jury is out.. some say it doesn't matter, but I run an extended OCI so to me it does.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
The MID is calibrated for a dino oil. I don't follow it but I'm very OCD about maintenence. Mine has taken me to nearly 10,000 miles when I was doing 95% freeway at 55mph all the time and as little as 3,500 when it was 1.5 mile short trips.

10,000 is pushing the limits of dino oil even with it being mostly freeway miles. It likely won't hurt anything but that safety cushion is reduced. If it were mine and I were normal I would say run a good synthetic and follow the MID.

The TL will live a long life on whatever you put in it assuming it's SL or SM rated but I choose to run Redline because I believe it provides the best protection with no compromises. I'm sure I could get 15,000 miles out of it but I change it at 5,000 to remove the contaminate load.

I would let your climate and driving habits dictate the viscosity.

And before it get asked, Amsoil, RP, and Donaldson are the best oil filters out there. I change my RP filter every other oil change. 10,000 miles is nowhere near it's limit.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:47 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
303 is a vinyl plastic cleaner and polish that does not dry out or get greasy like armor does
Parts stores, tap plastic etc all carry it

for wheels- clean rims and apply 2-3 coats synthetic car wax to all painted surfaces
That cuts down on brake dust adhesion and keeps them cleaner, washes right off
Old 01-20-2010, 06:52 AM
2008 Acura TL Type-S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Armor All wipes FTL. My wife bought a canister of these before I could educate her otherwise. If you squeeze out the excess from the wipe, use it, then follow up with a dry microfiber, it actually gives a nice result that's not overly shiny/greasy.

Otherwise +1 to all the other suggestions.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Armorall tends to dry out your plastic parts. 303 Aerospace cleaner is what you want. You can find it at most boating stores. It has a SPF of 40, so protects like no other. Plus it's not greasy or glossy.

Welcome to AZ!!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:04 PM
1st Gear

just bought a 2007 TL what's the best oil can i use
Old 08-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Devjohn5
just bought a 2007 TL what's the best oil can i use
Many, many oil threads.

Redline 5w-30.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
how often should the 303 be applied?
Old 08-18-2010, 12:49 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
I'd say once a week depending on the use of your vehicle.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:41 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
For washing:

NEVER use a normal towel to dry...only microfiber
NEVER use dawn/dish soap b/c it will dry your paint
NEVER wash in direct sun

It depends on what you'd like to spend on cleaning but you can range from a microfiber mit, wash, microfiber dry, and be done. That'd be on the cheap and you paint will hate you

If you want to keep your car looking nice...

(In shade) Wash w/ 2 bucket method
Dry
Clay Bar
Polish
Wax/Sealant
Tires
Tire Shine

You can do this by hand but the best method is to use a PC/orbital. Here is a few good sites used over at other forums I'm on...

http://www.autogeek.net/
http://www.topoftheline.com/

Move on to interior...btw...Armor All FTMFL!
Old 08-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
Armorall tends to dry out your plastic parts.
I know I'm dredging up your old post here. My neighbor has a mint, stock '84 Corvette that he bought new and it has seen nothing but Armorall Original as a plastic and rubber weatherstrip protector for all those years - 26. He wins prizes at judged Corvette shows with it. It doesn't have a cracked dash, dried out plastic parts, greasy parts or whatever else Armorall gets accused of. He go me onto it for my 2004 Vette. It too has only had Armorall applied - and it hasn't suffered one bit. I just came in from working on it. I don't have dried out or greasy plastic or rubber.

I had a 2002 TL until last week and it had nothing on it but Armorall.

Don't you think, if a big company like Armorall (that's probably bigger than all the other car care companies and probably bigger than all of them added together) had problems caused by their product that they wouldn't have changed something by now? What would be their reasoning for doing that? It's just silly to think that they would just ignore issues. That's not a good business practice is it?

But don't worry, I read the same Armorall fear-mongering on every car site that I go to. I'll bet Armorall reads the stuff too and just sits back laughing, while raking in the millions.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:43 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Originally Posted by Zozzle
I know I'm dredging up your old post here. My neighbor has a mint, stock '84 Corvette that he bought new and it has seen nothing but Armorall Original as a plastic and rubber weatherstrip protector for all those years - 26. He wins prizes at judged Corvette shows with it. It doesn't have a cracked dash, dried out plastic parts, greasy parts or whatever else Armorall gets accused of. He go me onto it for my 2004 Vette. It too has only had Armorall applied - and it hasn't suffered one bit. I just came in from working on it. I don't have dried out or greasy plastic or rubber.

Don't you think, if a big company like Armorall (that's probably bigger than all the other car care companies and probably bigger than all of them added together) had problems caused by their product that they wouldn't have changed something by now? What would be their reasoning for doing that? It's just silly to think that they would just ignore issues. That's not a good business practice is it?

But don't worry, I read the same Armorall fear-mongering on every car site that I go to. I'll bet Armorall reads the stuff too and just sits back laughing, while raking in the millions.

It's been proven by countless users/professional detailers that its not the best for your car. If it was and was as big as you state...wouldn't all the high end detailers use it?? Does this mean Meguirs or Mothers is better than Optimum, Klasse, Zaino, etc just because they rake in the millions?

Mainstream does NOT equal Quality

The logic and reasoning with your second paragraph is horribly wrong also. For example, look at a company like BOSE and Monster. Their speakers/equiptment/wires/etc are WAAY sub-par and that has been proven a ridiculous amount of times from various people. If you walked into any Best Buy, etc and asked for their "best" they'd probably point you to BOSE/Monster. People think that these little speakers sound good but don't understand the technology, or lack thereof, behind them. If you want further proof go over to avsforum.com (one of/if not the largest audio/videophile forums). I'm just trying to point out to you that just because its mainstream and that company has a shit ton of $$...doesn't mean they have quality stuff.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 08-18-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
Armorall tends to dry out your plastic parts. 303 Aerospace cleaner is what you want. You can find it at most boating stores. It has a SPF of 40, so protects like no other. Plus it's not greasy or glossy.

Welcome to AZ!!

+1 on all accounts.....
Old 08-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Intermediate

Before you edited your post it said "If you like the extremely wet and greasy look that Armorall gives, then yes its for you."

If you came to see our cars, two Vettes, one Camry, one TL, you would have to admit that there is no greasiness. We wouldn't accept the stuff if there was. We go with our findings. We're not willing to accept old wive's tales; maybe you are.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Originally Posted by Zozzle
Before you edited your post it said "If you like the extremely wet and greasy look that Armorall gives, then yes its for you."

If you came to see our cars, two Vettes, one Camry, one TL, you would have to admit that there is no greasiness. We wouldn't accept the stuff if there was. We go with our findings. We're not willing to accept old wive's tales; maybe you are.

I wouldn't call the facts/opinions of countless amounts of detailers and enthusiast that say Armor-All is a huge joke a "wive's tale". Like I said but removed b/c I knew you'd throw a fit, if you want to use Armor-All, by all means, USE IT! but don't say that its ok for interior pieces, isn't greasy (99% of the time it is), etc because that was proven a long time ago to be the case. Once again, where is all the armor all with the high end detailers? Stuff's good right?

I'm not trying to piss anyone off here but if you think armor all holds a place in detailing....wow
Old 08-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
No need for a pissing match.. I side with TL-Noob although I adore my QC3's.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by TL-Noob
For washing:

NEVER use a normal towel to dry...only microfiber...
Jury's still out on Micro fiber, according to Zaino Bros. Use at you own risk. High quality 100% cotton towels may be your best bet right now:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...=Z#anchormicro

....NEVER use dawn/dish soap b/c it will dry your paint
Huh? I guess Zaino Bros don't know what they're talking about? They specifically recommend Dawn for prepping before application.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...=Z#anchor14536

It's been proven by countless users/professional detailers that its [Armorall] not the best for your car....
Oh boy, here we go again. Would love to see you post one non-anecdotal study proving this statement. Tick, tick, tick.....

Last edited by nfnsquared; 08-18-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:04 PM
Intermediate

I wouldn't call the facts/opinions of countless amounts of detailers and enthusiast that say Armor-All is a huge joke a "wive's tale". Like I said but removed b/c I knew you'd throw a fit, if you want to use Armor-All, by all means, USE IT! but don't say that its ok for interior pieces, isn't greasy (99% of the time it is), etc because that was proven a long time ago to be the case. Once again, where is all the armor all with the high end detailers? Stuff's good right?

I'm not trying to piss anyone off here but if you think armor all holds a place in detailing....wow
Just because these "high end detailers" don't use it means nothing. Maybe they listened to the old tales that have been around, as I'm aware, since the '60s. If they saw my neighbor's mint Vette (mine's mint too; it's just 20 years newer than his) they would have to swallow their opinion. And those who haven't seen our cars don't have an opinion on them. Try it; you might be a convert. Don't believe everything you hear and regurgitate it, parrot fashion.

Last edited by Zozzle; 08-18-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Race Director

...but don't say that its ok for interior pieces, isn't greasy (99% of the time it is), etc because that was proven a long time ago to be the case.....
Proven a long time ago? Can you post the link to this proof? It should clear up this thread once and for all. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Jury's still out on Micro fiber, according to Zaino Bros. Use at you own risk. High quality 100% cotton towels may be your best bet right now:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...=Z#anchormicro

Huh? I guess Zaino Bros don't know what they're talking about? They specifically recommend Dawn.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...=Z#anchor14536

Oh boy, here we go again. Would love to see you post one non-anecdotal study proving this statement. Tick, tick, tick.....

1. There are MANY different thread/weave types you can go with, I just suggested microfiber b/c its easy to find and usually pretty cheap.

2. They specifically recommend Dawn b/c it removes the previous wax...but I guess you already knew that....right? Jesus..not trying to get into a dick measuring contest but know it before you post it!

If you want to remove the shitty vatozone wax you put on 1 week ago b/c its already crappy...use Dawn. When you use a quality wash, polish, wax/seal, glaze, etc...then you don't need to use dawn every time.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Race Director

1. There are MANY different thread/weave types you can go with, I just suggested microfiber b/c its easy to find and usually pretty cheap.

2. They specifically recommend Dawn b/c it removes the previous wax...but I guess you already knew that....right? Jesus..not trying to get into a dick measuring contest but know it before you post it!

If you want to remove the shitty vatozone wax you put on 1 week ago b/c its already crappy...use Dawn. When you use a quality wash, polish, wax/seal, glaze, etc...then you don't need to use dawn every time.
You're the one coming on this forum with less than 30 posts handing out absolute advice. Your advice was to NEVER use Dawn. As I've simply pointed out, this advice is incorrect.

Same with microfiber advice. Unfortunately, microfiber is not a panacea. User beware / be sure of microfiber quality before purchasing.

Last edited by nfnsquared; 08-18-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Proven a long time ago? Can you post the link to this proof? It should clear up this thread once and for all. Thanks.

Whew...got me there! Not quite sure if you see the irony here but you'd like me to post up my findings on why armor-all isn't god's gift to interior detailing while you post up zaino's findings on dawn lol and say that microfiber isn't proven yet.

Like I said....again...for the 3rd time...you can use your armor-all all you'd like but I'll stick with the shit that is used by high end detailers and proven in their work every single day over a big company's claims anyday of the year!! Hate to tell ya but "most" car cleaning supplies at stores are total garbage.

All I'm going to say is read up become aware of detailing info other than the bs you find in stores. Maybe pick up a PC while your at it....
Old 08-18-2010, 04:27 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

You're the one coming on this forum with less than 30 posts handing out absolute advice. Your advice was to NEVER use Dawn. As I've simply pointed out, this advice is incorrect.

Same with microfiber advice. Unfortunately, microfiber is not a panacea. User beware / be sure of microfiber quality before purchasing.

So because I have less than 30 post means I don't know anything about cars and I'm not on countless others forums with waaay more posts than you? Uh...ok?

Secondly, the guy is asking if Turtle Wax wheel cleaner is ok hahaha....I highly doubt he's ever had a coat of wax on there!! Didn't know I was writing a handbook for the whole detailing community...I thought I was replying to a post...woops

And again....b/c you found something on the internet about microfiber doesn't mean its not good. Look on any of the detailing forums, shops, etc and you will find they recommend microfiber. Like I said, yes there are different patterns, weaves, but if you aren't a cheap ass and clean your car with quality cleaners from Walmart then you'd know this!! Jesus christ
Old 08-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Race Director

I guess you can't. I'm open to hear anything non-anecdotal / non- internet rumor that will back up your claims.

I'm not for or against Armorall. Personally, I don't use it. But that doesn't mean I or anyone else should accept claims made by an "unknown quantity" such as yourself. You're not the first one to come on here and make a blanket statement without being able to back up that statement. This is exactly how internet rumors are perpetuated.

Again, if you have anything concrete to back up you statement/s about Armorall, I'd genuinely love to see it. Like most other folks here on this forum, I'm here to learn. Educate us with proven facts. Thanks.

Last edited by nfnsquared; 08-18-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

I guess you can't. I'm open to hear anything non-anecdotal / non- internet rumor that will back up your claims.

I'm not for or against Armorall. Personally, I don't use it. But that doesn't mean I or anyone else should accept claims made by an "unknown quantity" such as yourself. You're not the first one to come on here and make a blanket statement without being able to back up that statement. This is exactly how internet rumors are perpetuated.

Again, if you have anything concrete to back up you statement/s about Armorall, I'd genuinely love to see it. Thanks.
Not quite sure how something that is known throughout a detailing community and on countless amounts of forums is a "blanket statement". You just keep on keepin on with whatever your doing and I'll take the guy who's actually using the products word for it. Like hell I'm going to waste my time finding threads, blogs, etc from detailers just to prove to you that armor-all isn't good haha. Sorry..just not worth it

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 08-18-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know I know...way way late...just joined today and thought id instigate a little bit...but TL Noob(Trunk Monkey) has a point...use armor all you want...you might have had good luck with it but, it can be greasy and its been know by many users to dry out and crack more than most other cleaners(interior wise thats ive seen), and armor all has fallen behind the past oh 10 years...there is better stuff out there...microfiber is better than cotton (yes different varieties and quality of it)(use at your own risk? ok go ahead and use cotton and see what happens)...perfect comparison to monster and Bose...I work at an electronic store, its the most over hyped and over priced stuff period...what car detail enthusiast uses armor all anyway. Its the cheapest stuff out there to buy(thanks to walmart for sales). Personally I use meguiars and mothers...(those 2 are probably the best in the business period)(meguiars has been around the longest by far...fact)...Turtle wax has some good stuff (go with their "ice" series its their best if you choose that brand...i use it for interior cleaning too)...also they will be the worlds biggest care care company...Its a fact...but as we mentioned before the biggest sometimes isnt the best....yea use dawn if you want to strip your wax and kill layers of paint :thumbsdow...and to you nfnsquared where is your proof? what Zainos? haha...bottom line good shit cost more...armor all is cheap...way better stuff out there.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Instructor

By the way...Pennzoil ultra, royal purple, mobil 1, castrol edge, all full synthetic oil and are great...royal purple and mobil 1 filters are the better ones...k and n is ok but its a lot of hype and over priced...thats my .
Old 01-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Instructor

Or if you have the hook up(like me) get the genuine honda oil filters...cost me round $5. almost a 3 for 1 compared to others.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:44 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sir Drake
By the way...Pennzoil ultra, royal purple, mobil 1, castrol edge, all full synthetic oil and are great...royal purple and mobil 1 filters are the better ones...k and n is ok but its a lot of hype and over priced...thats my .
Of those listed, only RP and a couple of the M1 oils are a true grpIV PAO synthetic. The rest are a highly refined dino grpIII oil which legally can carry the "synthetic" label even though they're not. Great oil none the less. Don't forget Redline which is a grpV ester synthetic.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Team Owner

Or if you have the hook up(like me) get the genuine honda oil filters...cost me round $5. almost a 3 for 1 compared to others.
Honda oil filters are fine but there's nothing special about them over your average Fram.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:10 PM
Instructor

Ahh someone of wisdom...yes red line too sorry(dont really use it ever)(i'm waiting for an amsoil fanatic to chime in)...my girlfriend has an 07 audi a4 quattro (talk about a meticulous motor) and our audi dealer swears by pennzoil ultra and thats all they use...are you sure pennzoil ultra isnt? RP, Mobil 1 and Pennzoil ultra i use religiously in my cars/trucks...castrol is good not a huge fan though. Filter wise honda is better than fram(maybe not by a whole lot) but my buddy is a master technician for honda thats why i threw it in...but i prefer rp or mobil 1 period....by the way love the 84 Buick GN
Old 01-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Team Owner

Ahh someone of wisdom...yes red line too sorry(dont really use it ever)(i'm waiting for an amsoil fanatic to chime in)...my girlfriend has an 07 audi a4 quattro (talk about a meticulous motor) and our audi dealer swears by pennzoil ultra and thats all they use...are you sure pennzoil ultra isnt? RP, Mobil 1 and Pennzoil ultra i use religiously in my cars/trucks...castrol is good not a huge fan though. Filter wise honda is better than fram(maybe not by a whole lot) but my buddy is a master technician for honda thats why i threw it in...but i prefer rp or mobil 1 period....by the way love the 84 Buick GN
Thanks. They're all great oils. It's pretty hard to buy a bad oil these days. I did run Amsoil ACD, their straight 30wt diesel oil since the car was new up to about 70,000 miles. Pretty unusual to use it in a TL but it fit my usage type perfectly and I just wanted to try something different. I used the TL in the Vegas and Phoenix summers to commute 4 hours each way so I didn't have to worry about cold starts too much.