Old 04-03-2005, 08:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 05ACURATL
i just looked at the trip screen and mine said:

avg mpg 20

avg mph 26

what extacly these mean?
Since your last reset on MID trip computer, your car averages 20 miles per gallon, as well as your car's speed is around 26 per hour.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:12 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the posts. Some follow up comments to my original post.

Of course I have reset the trip computer as I always do at every fill up. I have not had the luxury of a good "highway" drive yet and am still milling about in traffic so I am eager to see what happens on the open road. The mileage for me is the same since my original post. I am only getting about 15-16 miles to the gallon in city. Right now after a top off I get about 220 miles before my fill light comes on.

I also don't think the car needs to "break in" any further as one poster mentioned. The book says break in is 600 miles and I am almost 3 times that. Not knocking that poster (or concept) but I can't believe that suddenly my car is going to jump from 15 mpg to 19-20 mpg because another 1000 miles have been driven on it. At the start I was only getting 14 mpg so I think now that I am getting my readings at 15 consistently that my car is done "breaking in."

My understanding is that if you reset the trip computer it doesn't matter how often or how full the tank is. That is irrelevant. The computer is going to calculate mph and mpg from the point the computer is reset and base it on your driving conditions from that point forward until you are out of gas. The only thing effected by the amount of fuel in the tank is the estimated remaining miles shown in the MID and the fuel gauge. In any event, I always fill my tank up completely and then reset the trip computer before I leave the gas station so I know that my readings are as accurate as the computer in the car is. I also reset my trip A or B and calculate mpg based on miles divided by the gallons it took to completely fill the tank. So far MY trip computer is matching pretty close to my "old" style mileage calculations.

Lastly, it may simply be my conditions but I didn't (and still don't) think I should be getting less mileage then some of the people posting from the big cities. According to a recent newspaper article, my county (Lee) in Florida ranks third in length of commute times and traffic, only behind Dade and Broward (Miami - Ft. Lauderdale). That's pretty amazing that we are worse than St. Pete / Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, etc... I guess I have become numb to sitting in traffic but at least I look good in my TL with an awesome audio system to boot. So, now that the tourist are leaving and the traffic will thin to our low point for the upcoming summer months, I will be eager to see if my mileage changes.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:31 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
I posted earlier about my poor mileage. The only thing additional I can add is that the TL is very sensitive to stop and go driving. Around town my mileage is similar to yours. If I make a couple of 20+ mile freeway runs per tank, my mileage is up in the low 20's. All freeway yields high 20's to low 30's. Therefore I think it's driving conditions as well as driving style.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:45 AM
Advanced

On flat highways with cruise control on I've gotten this:

50 MPH = 35 MPG
55 MPH = 34 MPG
60 MPH = 33 MPG
65 MPH = 32 MPG

The 50 & 55 speeds are putting me in everyone's way as speed limits are mostly 65 in NJ. Below 50 the MPG starts to drop off again. Seems 50-55 is the most fuel efficient range with crusie control on.

City driving is hard to see a pattern. It just depends on how many red lights you hit, traffic, how fast you accelerate, etc but generaly see between 19-22 during my daily commute.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:13 PM
Team WDP Surgeon General

I have 29,000 miles on my 2004 TL and I have consistently averaged 25mpg in mixed driving. Very consistently avgs. this.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by onalake
On flat highways with cruise control on I've gotten this:

50 MPH = 35 MPG
55 MPH = 34 MPG
60 MPH = 33 MPG
65 MPH = 32 MPG

The 50 & 55 speeds are putting me in everyone's way as speed limits are mostly 65 in NJ. Below 50 the MPG starts to drop off again. Seems 50-55 is the most fuel efficient range with crusie control on.

City driving is hard to see a pattern. It just depends on how many red lights you hit, traffic, how fast you accelerate, etc but generaly see between 19-22 during my daily commute.
Mine may be similar to your testing results. However, I hesitate to stay at that infamous 50~55 MPH zone, it's killing me. So, I never got 33+ MPG...
Old 04-05-2005, 03:14 PM
Advanced

I'm averaging 8mpg! Of course, since I just got the car 3 weeks ago, all I do is sit in the car with the engine running, showing off the stereo , HFL & NAVI system to friends. I also sit there for hours with the motor running, entering stuff into the address book!
Old 04-05-2005, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

This is the only aspect of the car that has disappointed me. I've got around 1,500 miles on my '05. I live in the D.C. area and I'm averaging only around 14 mpg for my stop-and-go 35-minute commute. When I get on the highway on the weekends, the mileage is great (>25 mpg). I'd appreciate it if someone could assure me that the city mileage is going to get better because I'm having to fill up every 210 miles or so.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:26 PM
I Want CD Text for 35k

the computer displays MPG?

i have had the car since october and had no idea. how do i display that?

please dont say RTFM!!!!
Old 04-05-2005, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Okay, I won't say it.

But you can press the Select/Reset button.

Write back if you can't find it.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:36 PM
Instructor

How do you have a 16 Gallon Tank...mine only has a 13.x gallon tank???

Originally Posted by JATTerbot 0.9
well yesterday i put 5 gallons and drove 121 miles and today i refilled up to 16gallons, this car gives me good mileage.
18-20 in city
28-30 hwy.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:05 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
with my 6MT in 6th gear...

34 mph on the highway, (@ 75 mph)
letting go the gas downhill, and not pushing it too much...

worst:
24 in the city, driving through traffic with a lot of stop lights...
Old 04-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by ThaShef
If you go to the gas station when the yellow indicator is ON (Low fuel warning), you prolly get that number...

If you wait further and try to drive more until "Miles to Empty"=0 or beyond that point, you could fill more... just be careful.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:24 AM
Instructor

mpg

I have 12 up to 17 in city, but outside never had more than 22,
my normal cruising speed is 80-120mph,
my 5AT has 15k miles
Old 04-07-2005, 06:21 AM
04TL/SSM/Quartz/AT/Navi

I just went on another 700 mile trip (600 on the highay at 70 mph) and got 33 mpg overall. Fairly flat trip from Columbus to Buffalo and back. I'm at 7,800 miles and had Service A1 (oil change and tire rotation) done at 7,000 miles. I did not run the A/C and kept the windows up. On the highway I was getting 34 mpg.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DarthVader
Don't know if this is the proper forum, but I did a search of the site and didn't find much in the way of fuel mileage talk for the new TL. However, I am curious how other are fairing in the mileage department. I live in a fairly congested area and it is a lot of stop and go during the winter months (SW Florida) due to tourist. Not enough space to "rev" the engine or race to the next light by any means so that isn't the reason for my poor results. All in all it is pretty tame city driving. According to my trip computer I am avg. 18 mph and only 15 mpg around town since I bought the car. I have 1500 on the OD now. This is certainly a lot less than the 19 posted on the window for city driving and I don't live someplace like Chicago, L.A., or NY. Heck my wifes SUV is getting better mileage. Are others getting the same results?
Something is wrong. Dead wrong. Either's its yer driving or the car isnt' set up correctly. Went on a trip to NC (from CT) drove through the Virgina mountains and got average 29 mpg on the trip including city driving in NC. I'm getting consistent 24-26 mpg running around here in CT. My trip to Ottawa gave me approximately the same mileage 29mpg.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:43 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ThaShef
Huh? TL gas tank is 17.0 gallons. What happened to the other 4 on yours?
Old 04-26-2005, 08:26 AM
VTEC HoooA

Originally Posted by Doubtit
Huh? TL gas tank is 17.0 gallons. What happened to the other 4 on yours?
Well since Acura was well aware of the fantastic gas mileage before release, they decided it would be wise to provide a nice buffer for those that like to test the limits of the 'low fuel' indicator. In this case the indicator lights up when the car still has a 4 gallon reserve. The capacity is in fact 17 gallons, but as many will note during fill up you are putting in < 13 at the pump.

In my case I average 16mpg (and have since the car was new) on my 6MT. Some of this is related to my right foot, some is related to the rate at which this car free bases fossil fuels. I have been idle in traffic and have watched the mid drop the MPG from 18 to 16. Kind of funny actually!!
Old 04-26-2005, 08:43 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Nodoze2004
Well since Acura was well aware of the fantastic gas mileage before release, they decided it would be wise to provide a nice buffer for those that like to test the limits of the 'low fuel' indicator. In this case the indicator lights up when the car still has a 4 gallon reserve. The capacity is in fact 17 gallons, but as many will note during fill up you are putting in < 13 at the pump.

In my case I average 16mpg (and have since the car was new) on my 6MT. Some of this is related to my right foot, some is related to the rate at which this car free bases fossil fuels. I have been idle in traffic and have watched the mid drop the MPG from 18 to 16. Kind of funny actually!!
The term 'free base' is entirely correct !

My city MPG is around 14. Best I've done on a highway only trip is around 28.
MPG is one of my few true dissappointments with this car. And that also goes for that idiotic MPG indicator in the trip computer that only gives avg for the tank rather than instantaneous as you drive.....unlike the trip computer that comes with the navagation system in the Accord that not only displays on the Nav screen where it belongs with more trip info than we have, but has an instantaneous MPG guage as well! We pay thousands more for this car, we have the right to expect at least the same features or better.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:27 AM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Nodoze2004

I would like to add that every Honda Ive owned, a 90 and 92 Accord, 91 Prelude, 94 Civic, and 96 TL as well as my 04 TL all have low fuel light indicators set at '5 gallons' left in the tank. I think its a 'Honda' thing. I was not suprized when the car took 13 gallons at my first fill up.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DMZ
We pay thousands more for this car, we have the right to expect at least the same features or better.
Sounds good to me. Although even today trip computers are found on much cheaper cars like the Nissan Sentra. Seems that this kind of thing should come on more expensive cars, provided they are accurate enough.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you guys are getting crappy gas mileage. The tl should have a 20 gallon tank 17 is too small for the car. But then you would be bitching about the 37.00 fills..
Old 04-26-2005, 12:28 PM