Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Info - Price - Michelin Tires - Updates

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 01:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cTLgo
You think we 04 Navi owners could get Pilots as a replacement if our Turanzas are flatspotting?

Haha, if so, my friends who save their EL42s in the garage would love to put them back and drive to the dealer to swap the new tires.

IMHO, I don't think so... but maybe some dealers could work out that for ppl. It's worth of a try/ask. The overwhelming requests will fly into dealership soon if this tire update is true...

Originally Posted by johng
I don't think it's gonna be Pilot Sport A/S, because it's a very different tire compare to the Turanza. If you go on the Michelin Website :
-http://michelinman.com/ then rollover the Performance Luxury section and you'll see they added the Acura TL in the list. So it'll probably be the MXM4 (or MXV4)... like the TSX and the RSX.

It's about the same as the Turanza...
I was just following that news from Pro Street. We all know we have to see the real one in order to truly believe the whole story...

If "Pilot Sport" is the option for HPT, it's reasonable. But if it's the standard tires for 05TL Navi, it's the dead tire for us living in North-East snowland.

Originally Posted by Pro Street
I just recieved this info from a Dealer in Pittsburgh:

"We received two '05 TLs today. They are both anthrocite. The base model has the Bridgestones, and the navi car has Michelin Pilots. Give me a holler if you have any questions. Thanks."

This confirms that Navi Models come with the Michelin Pilots and non-navis get the BS tires.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:26 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For sure it would be a very good thing if they become standard...
Old 09-22-2004, 02:52 PM
Instructor

Are these changes for '05?

I have an '04 6MT. I just took a look at the Acura website and checked out the '05 and here are my questions:

1. What is the "Wide Angle Clutch Torsion Mechanism" that is in the '05, and is it in the '04?

2. Is the 2 way lumbar support in the '05 the same as the '04?

3. Are the front and rear stabilizer bars on the 6MT thicker on the '05?

Any thoughts are apprciated!

MOD edit by rets: your thread is merged into 05TL sticky thread
Old 09-22-2004, 07:44 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
have 04 6 speed all of these are in features are in the O4 ..sorry nothing new
Old 09-22-2004, 09:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by zexi
have 04 6 speed all of these are in features are in the O4 ..sorry nothing new
Hey, I'm glad. I have an '04 6mt also!.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:45 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
correct me if im wrong

maybe you guys know this or maybe you dont. but if you just look in the manual, theres directions for auto-off lights in the '04 TL.

you can set it so that it goes off a certain number of seconds after you open the door and get our of the car after you shut the engine off. i think the intervals are somehwere around 15, 30 and 60 sec. i currently have mine set at 15 sec. kinda nice when you get out of the car. lets you see at night and the HID just looks darn good hehe.

if you just shut the car off and not open the door, the headlights stay on for 10 min. also, if you lock the car by pushing the lock button twice within 5 sec to make the beep sound, the headlights turn off automatically.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:07 AM
Moderator Alumnus

ayethetiense,

Welcome to the forum

Yes, you're right, it's part of 04TL's features. It's Auto-Off headlight.

But, we're not sure if 05TL would add "Auto-on/off headlight" as its website says. Someone has to see that real car.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:16 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
ok for teh last night... www.acura.com doesn't say AUTO ON/OFF, it only says AUTO OFF

Old 09-23-2004, 12:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AcuraTLjatt559
ok for teh last night... www.acura.com doesn't say AUTO ON/OFF, it only says AUTO OFF

no, the website still says auto-on/off, but it's a typo
Old 09-23-2004, 12:34 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by frebay
no, the website still says auto-on/off, but it's a typo
maybe 05s do have auto on/off and they forgot to update SPECS section.

and for the last time, i can careless about auto on/off headlights
Old 09-23-2004, 12:43 AM
10th Gear

Went to see an 04 model today (antracite w/ camel and navi.)and I asked the dealer why the TLs had the BS ELs and the TSX had Michelins? He replied by telling me that the ELs were specifically engineered for the TL and that they have not seen any customers complain about the BS tires. Opinions? From everything I've read here and from the Tirerack surveys a lot of people don't like this tire. Should I insist on seeing if they could change tires? Or is it a battle I'm not going to win.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:10 AM
Moderator Alumnus

TSX comes with Michelin. Michelin Pilot HX MXM4?? I don't remember, maybe it's much better than EL42s, but I'm not sure if Michelin is always the best of tires. 3G TL apparently needs to have special tires to support this damn vehicle. Someone said Michelin neither want to set up the speicifcly new tires for 3G TL nor lower price of their Pilot Sport A/S. Bridgestone easily won the bid.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:40 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mindcrime
Think I like the regular ones better.
I agree - the 5-spoke was Ferrari's choice for many years for a reason - it has a wonderfully balanced look. 6 spokers stink. Too many styling details make the wheels look girly, although some of the BBS (the RK?) look nice with the "coarser" mesh.

I had 5-spoke SSR's on my 2nd gen TL Type S.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:37 PM
Drives in Harmony!

TL Michelin Tires

Originally Posted by rets
TSX comes with Michelin. Michelin Pilot HX MXM4?? I don't remember, maybe it's much better than EL42s, but I'm not sure if Michelin is always the best of tires. 3G TL apparently needs to have special tires to support this damn vehicle. Someone said Michelin neither want to set up the speicifcly new tires for 3G TL nor lower price of their Pilot Sport A/S. Bridgestone easily won the bid.
The 05 TL w/navigation comes with Michelin tires, so obviously they're fitted for the car!
As for the "infamous" EL42s, just go to www.tirerack.com and see the evaluation: in their class of about 36 different tires, they registered next to last!!!
Old 09-23-2004, 10:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by 1violinist
The 05 TL w/navigation comes with Michelin tires, so obviously they're fitted for the car!
As for the "infamous" EL42s, just go to www.tirerack.com and see the evaluation: in their class of about 36 different tires, they registered next to last!!!

Yes, we all know this... and are waiting for someone to figure this out. What tires come with 05 models? And, we expect Acura dealers may get overwhelming requests and phone calls from 04TLers and 05TL non-Navi owners. Some dealers may be able to work out newly free swap deal, some may turn them down.

Sidenote: Tirerack's report has been shown and known since last Sept before we got 04TL.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by ayethetiense
maybe you guys know this or maybe you dont. but if you just look in the manual, theres directions for auto-off lights in the '04 TL.

you can set it so that it goes off a certain number of seconds after you open the door and get our of the car after you shut the engine off. i think the intervals are somehwere around 15, 30 and 60 sec. i currently have mine set at 15 sec. kinda nice when you get out of the car. lets you see at night and the HID just looks darn good hehe.

if you just shut the car off and not open the door, the headlights stay on for 10 min. also, if you lock the car by pushing the lock button twice within 5 sec to make the beep sound, the headlights turn off automatically.
I think most of us are aware of this. They are not auto on. The only way these could be construed as auto-on, auto-off is if you don't mind driving with your lights on all the time. I personally don't want to be replacing bulbs as a result of this (don't forget that ALL of your lights would be on all the time - including rears, license plate, side markers etc).
Old 09-24-2004, 11:54 AM
Instructor

Yes, we all know this... and are waiting for someone to figure this out. What tires come with 05 models? And, we expect Acura dealers may get overwhelming requests and phone calls from 04TLers and 05TL non-Navi owners. Some dealers may be able to work out newly free swap deal, some may turn them down.

Sidenote: Tirerack's report has been shown and known since last Sept before we got 04TL.

OK - I spoke with my Dealer today - he had on 05 TL w/nav out on the lot so he walked over for me and told e the tires on the 05 Navi were Michelin Pilot HXMXM4. Not such good news as these tires scored last in their category on Tire Rack.

Well, Acura listned with only one ear - switched from BS to Michelin but chose a tire that is only marginally better at best. At least the flat spotting problem will probably go away but as far as performance goes looks like we got the shaft! :wtf:

Great car, shitty wheels!!
Old 09-24-2004, 12:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

OK - I spoke with my Dealer today - he had on 05 TL w/nav out on the lot so he walked over for me and told e the tires on the 05 Navi were Michelin Pilot HXMXM4. Not such good news as these tires scored last in their category on Tire Rack.

Well, Acura listned with only one ear - switched from BS to Michelin but chose a tire that is only marginally better at best. At least the flat spotting problem will probably go away but as far as performance goes looks like we got the shaft! :wtf:

Ok, this seems to be the same tires as TSX has but with different SPEC of course.

Pro Street, thanks so much for your update.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:00 PM
Racer

I'll take those shitty wheels over the Bridgestone wheels anytime. At least their shouldn't be any Vibration with those.

So althought I agree they could be much better tires, I'll take the Michelin's.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by seamg
2. Is the 2 way lumbar support in the '05 the same as the '04?[/b]

Is this similar to having a 2 way windshield wipers, back and forth???
Old 09-24-2004, 10:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by marioman
I'll take those shitty wheels over the Bridgestone wheels anytime. At least their shouldn't be any Vibration with those.

So althought I agree they could be much better tires, I'll take the Michelin's.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:53 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
These were also the tires for the 2nd Gen TL Type S.

Honda. err Acura has history with them, so they stuck with them.

Remember, Acura's priorities are not the same as ours, they are low noise, high milage, and good fuel economy, the complete oposite of what we want. Every drop of gas counts in the EPA stats per car maker!
Old 09-24-2004, 11:59 PM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These are the same tires I had on my 03 Accord Coupe 6mt. They aren't any better than the Bridgestones but I would rather have Michelins than Bridgestones.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:13 AM
Advanced

Ok, here is what I don't understand. Tire Rack has the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S for $142 each, while the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 is listed at $197 each. From the reviews on Tire Rack, it doesn't look like there is any contest between the two tires. Why would Acura put a more expensive tire on a car that is inferior to a cheaper tire?
Old 09-25-2004, 11:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by markj
Ok, here is what I don't understand. Tire Rack has the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S for $142 each, while the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 is listed at $197 each. From the reviews on Tire Rack, it doesn't look like there is any contest between the two tires. Why would Acura put a more expensive tire on a car that is inferior to a cheaper tire?
Honda/Acura probably has an agreement with Michelin that makes their cost much less than the $197/tire we would pay...
Old 09-25-2004, 12:22 PM
Instructor

well the el42s cost 200+

but i agree with qwalls
Old 09-25-2004, 03:11 PM
Drives in Harmony!

Tire agreement

Originally Posted by qwalls
Honda/Acura probably has an agreement with Michelin that makes their cost much less than the $197/tire we would pay...
In this case, I guess Acura got the EL42 form Bridgestone for $5 a piece!!!
Old 09-25-2004, 03:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by markj
Maybe the Michelin is a more balanced type of tire, meaning that its more neutral for the average TL driver. Don't get me wrong...I forced Acura to give me pilot sports for free because the turanzas were so lousy. I'd rather have a performance tire on this car any day.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:15 AM
Blue is so so

I know I had one of these models on my '01 Accord Coupe. Great tires. But which ones are the Pilot sports, the MXM4 or the MXV4??
Old 09-27-2004, 01:58 AM
Cruisin'

The Michelins Pilots HX MXM4 are on the RSX, the RSX type-S (they should of put some performance tires on that one, weird...), the TSX, the '05 TL w/navi and the '05 RL too... For sure there's an agreement btw Acura & Michelin.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:16 PM
AT1
2004 TL 5AT

I agree with acuraddict. I think it's just that WE want an ultra high performance tire, but Acura is going with a touring tire for the average TL driver. I think any of US would take a P-Zero Nero or Pilot Sport A/S over what they're offering, even though those performance tires are cheaper.

Speaking of tires, does anybody have any opinion about P-Zero Nero vs. Pilot Sport A/s? They seem to be neck and neck in all the stats, though the P-Zeros are a little cheaper.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:58 PM
Intermediate

Anyone seen '05 invoice prices yet?
Old 09-28-2004, 02:59 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Michelin Pilot MXM4 are crappy tires, they come on the VW Jettas. I actually had the Pirelli PZero Nero m+s(mud and snow) on my last car, and thought they were pretty good, especially for the price. But we all shouldn't lose sight of the big picture; even though the switch is lateral, at least the flatspotting is gone!
Old 09-28-2004, 03:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by AT1
I agree with acuraddict. I think it's just that WE want an ultra high performance tire, but Acura is going with a touring tire for the average TL driver. I think any of US would take a P-Zero Nero or Pilot Sport A/S over what they're offering, even though those performance tires are cheaper.

Speaking of tires, does anybody have any opinion about P-Zero Nero vs. Pilot Sport A/s? They seem to be neck and neck in all the stats, though the P-Zeros are a little cheaper.
At NTB there is a mileage warranty with the Mich Pilot A/S!
Old 09-28-2004, 03:59 PM
AT1
2004 TL 5AT

Good call, captain. That's good to know.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:09 PM
Blue is so so

Acuraaddict, how did you FORCE acura to give you these new tires? Just curious, thanks.

Edit by MOD rets: Hijack!? The search could help you find his story http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68701
Old 09-28-2004, 09:22 PM
Suzuka Master

2005 Question - Mods Merge as Necessary

Would one of the 2005 owners please confirm the presence or absence of a tire pressure monitor.

I thought all 2004 cars were supposed to have it, then I thought the new cut-off was supposed to be October, 2004.

Anyone, anyone, Bueller.....
Old 09-28-2004, 09:35 PM
Racer

i think all cars are suposed to have a tire pressure monitor system by 2006.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
It doesn't show up in the list of safety features at the Acura web site http://acura.com/models/model_safety....asp?module=tl
Old 09-29-2004, 05:31 AM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
crap, all these changes..... i should hav waited!!!

Quick Reply: 2005 Info - Price - Michelin Tires - Updates