Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 TL vs. Nissan Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 12:15 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 TL vs. Nissan Maxima

Neither car is very exciting. The Maxima might actually better looking (never thought I'd say that). The better competitor for the TL might be the G35, but that car has the interior from hell, and can get expensive with options. Come to think of it, the interior of the Maxima is even worse than the G35, if that is possible. On the dashboard are what seems like thousands of buttons of EXACTLY the same shape and size. But the Maxima is front wheel drive, like the TL and a fully loaded Maxima easily tops 30Gs. So are they worthy competitors?
Old 09-12-2003, 12:23 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Define excitement.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
What cars do excite you?
Old 09-12-2003, 12:55 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Well, since this is a comparison, I will comment on the Maxima. I'll have to reserve judgment on the TL until I test drive it and purchase mine next month (barring any delay).

The Maxima is like a large dog. It's big, unorthodox, and wants to knock over anything in its way. It's a very unrefined car. If you like straight line and punching the engine every change you get, this is the car for you. Then again, you might not get straight line that often with the amount of torque steer under acceleration.

As far as handling, the Maxima feels big. I never felt confident taking a curve, or making a fast sharp turn. The interior is very poor quality and poorly laid out. The Amber lighting is a turnoff as well. Although, it doesn't seem to be as bad on the Altima.

While little is known about the TL in regards to driving characteristics, my understanding is that it does not suffer from any noticeable torque steer. We can be pretty certain that there will be no comparison in regards to interior layout and quality.

Also, be mindful that the Maxima is ~7 inches longer than the TL, so they will have completely different handling characteristics. As a matter of fact, I don't even think a Maxima vs. TL is a legitimate comparison because of this. I think a more appropriate comparison are the target competitors, BMW 330, Infiniti G35 and Lexus ES. While the TL certainly won't best these cars in all categories, it will probably blur the lines between sport and luxury so well that it will be hard to not consider it.

The Maxima is a very unique offering. It offers luxury amenities, but seems to shy away from outright competing with BMW, Lexus and Infiniti. Yet, it's not the every day family sedan like Accord and Camry. It's right in between, so there are few cars to directly compare it against. The Pontiac Grand Prix might be a good comparison, but most people probably don't view the Maxima and Grand Prix equally.

Based on that summary, the Maxima simply does not compete with the TL, not even from a value standpoint. The Maxima would have to offer as much, or more than the TL, at a lower price to be considered a value competitor. It doesn't.

If Acura benchmarked the Maxima, that would immediately marginalize the TL's position as a near-luxury sport sedan. Both cars having front-drive layouts does not make them similar by default.

As always, appearance is entirely subjective
Old 09-12-2003, 01:18 PM
Pro

Originally posted by VTECMW

Good Post. I almost cried after reading it.:bowdown:
Old 09-12-2003, 02:02 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't Maximia more of a Toyota Avalon competitor? Honda doesn't make a car for that 'segment' that I know of..
Old 09-12-2003, 02:16 PM
Senior Moderator

The Maxima is totally unlike the Avalon. The Avalon has more body roll than Noa's Ark, has a soft (but VERY comfortable ride), has high quality interior materials and its QUIET. Basically the Avalon is a Lexus but much cheaper. Think of a Japanese Buick and you get the Avalon.

The Maxima is basically a Japanese Pontiac Grand Prix, it thinks its sporty and I suppose it is for such a bulbously huge car. Its not a sports sedan, too much torque steer and the handling/driving communication just isn't there. Basically its fast in the straightline. This is all quite unfortunate because there was a time when the Maxima was the Japanese sports sedan to get. It had excellent handling, good acceleration and was fun to drive. Now its just bloated with a cheap interior. Nissan figures you'll like it because of all the gadgets and doodads (and cheap faux aluminum splayed about).
Old 09-12-2003, 03:15 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, since this is a comparison, I will comment on the Maxima. I'll have to reserve judgment on the TL until I test drive it and purchase mine next month (barring any de

The Maxima is a very unique offering. It offers luxury amenities, but seems to shy away from outright competing with BMW, Lexus and Infiniti. Yet, it's not the every day family sedan like Accord and Camry. It's right in between, so there are few cars to directly compare it against. The Pontiac Grand Prix might be a good comparison, but most people probably don't view the Maxima and Grand Prix equally.

Based on that summary, the Maxima simply does not compete with the TL, not even from a value standpoint. The Maxima would have to offer as much, or more than the TL, at a lower price to be considered a value competitor. It doesn't.

As always, appearance is entirely subjective
The Maxima has always been a tweener car since 85 and in 85-88, It along with the Cressida and Legend were really the only cars from Japan that offered lots of Luxury features at that time. Legend has moved upmarket to RL and the Cressida is now known as the Avalon and neither anymore are direct competitors to the Maxima. The Maxima GLE/SE especially the 02/03 compete quite well with the TL/TLS 02-03 only advantage to TLS is the nameplate now the 04 to 04 we will see. IMO the Maxima and TL are competitors along with the sorry Diamante. The Garnd Prix is nothing like the Maxima (in GTP) form its ok it competes with the Taurus/Impala neither are which are Maxima competitors. What I am trying to say companies can say one thing in marketing and no the truth behind closed doors, Acura knows and have known for years that Maxima competes with the TL bu tin comparisons they will use the Infiniti because of the name.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:54 PM
Suzuka Master

The Maxima may not be in the TL's class, but it has quite a few features I'd really love to see in the TL. Power tilt wheel, power folding mirrors, rear heated seats, cornering lamps, to name a few.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:50 PM
Instructor

I am not the original poster but WRX STi EXCITES me..
:wow: :wow:

Originally posted by Ken1997TL
What cars do excite you?
Old 09-13-2003, 10:37 AM
Instructor

Define excitement.
I mean visually appealing. For instance, the Audi A4 is visually appealing but don't get me started on that car. You need to be on good terms with your dealership 'cause you are going to be there a lot, and keep the cell phone handy for all those calls to Roadside Assistance. But it is a pretty car. As is the BMW 3 series (pre-Kris Bangle) and the Infiniti G35 coupe.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:59 AM
Instructor

Also, be mindful that the Maxima is ~7 inches longer than the TL, so they will have completely different handling characteristics. As a matter of fact, I don't even think a Maxima vs. TL is a legitimate comparison because of this. I think a more appropriate comparison are the target competitors, BMW 330, Infiniti G35 and Lexus ES. While the TL certainly won't best these cars in all categories, it will probably blur the lines between sport and luxury so well that it will be hard to not consider it.

[/B]
Also remember, though that the 2003 TL was more than six inches longer than the present one, which would be closer to today's Maxima. Had Honda not lopped off those inches you couldn't say that. Plus, two or three years ago either R&D or C&D made precisely the same comparison, that is between the TL and Maxima. The conclusion was that they both performed well with the luxury edge going to the TL.
Old 09-13-2003, 01:08 PM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by amdmaxx
I am not the original poster but WRX STi EXCITES me..
:wow: :wow:

If it wasnt so ugly, I would go for an STI right now.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Ugly, maybe. Amazing performance.... Definitely!
Old 09-13-2003, 09:56 PM
10th Gear

I don't think these cars can be considered on the same level. But if the comparison is just between these two cars. I'd definately have to say the TL is a level above the Maxima. I actually prefer the looks of it over the Maxima as well.

Side note; The TL doesn't have a Telescopic/Tilt wheel??? I'm very suprised by this, did the RL keep this feature after the Legend? Considering the grand interior of the TL, I'm shocked it does not.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by FutureX 2001
I don't think these cars can be considered on the same level. But if the comparison is just between these two cars. I'd definately have to say the TL is a level above the Maxima. I actually prefer the looks of it over the Maxima as well.

Side note; The TL doesn't have a Telescopic/Tilt wheel??? I'm very suprised by this, did the RL keep this feature after the Legend? Considering the grand interior of the TL, I'm shocked it does not.
It has it, but it is manual. The Maxima has POWER tilt/telescopic wheel.

IMO, it is long overdue. Lexus has been using it in their LS series since 1989.

Acura, get with the times! Give me Power tilt/tele instead of DVD-A.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:56 PM

It is a freaking shame what they have done to the Maxima. The comments here are correct, it is now a fat, bloated pig that likes to sprint straight ahead. And the interior is 10 steps backwards.

The new AND old Tl own the new Maxima.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Perhaps, but it seems the market is shifting towards bloated cars. The new TL is a little bloated too. Very nice, but still a little bloated.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally posted by EmuMessenger

Remember....the TL is a VALUE sport luxury vehicle. So even though it comes packed with a lot of tech, some things have to be left out. I frankly don't need a power tilt wheel. Rear heated seats would've been nice for those times when I take my in-laws out to dinner during the winter, though!

1SickLex, you're absolutely correct about the Maxima. It's a damned shame that Nissan has completely ruined the car with bulk and poor ergonomics. I'd never consider a new Maxima. I don't see many on the road, so I think that others feel the same way. The Maxima's peak was in the mid-late 90's, when I was still in training and couldn't afford one , but lusted after it.
Old 09-14-2003, 04:11 PM
Instructor

The present Maxima would have been nicer if it came before the Altima. Otherwise, it looks just like the Altima with a different grille and rear lights. It is the interior that is a mystery. Not only are the materials very poor quality, but the ergonomics are haphazard. Straight line performance is good, handling not so.
Old 09-14-2003, 05:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by neuronbob
The Maxima's peak was in the mid-late 90's, when I was still in training and couldn't afford one , but lusted after it.
I had a 96 SE-5MT and it was one of the best cars I ever owned!
Old 09-14-2003, 09:08 PM
Race Director

You would give up the wonderful sound system in the TL and would rather take a power tilt/tele steering wheel
Old 09-15-2003, 12:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by 2004TL
You would give up the wonderful sound system in the TL and would rather take a power tilt/tele steering wheel
I don't get it either but to each his own. I'll take a class-leading sound system that no one else has (yet) over a tilt/telescopic wheel anyday.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:57 AM
Suzuka Master

To both of you, I am really excited about the DVD-A system, since I have one at home, but when it comes to options, I'd rather get something from the factory that I cannot have installed somewhere locally.

I can get an award winning audio system at any stereo shop, not power tilt/telescoping wheel or ventilated seats.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:28 PM

1SickLex, you're absolutely correct about the Maxima. It's a damned shame that Nissan has completely ruined the car with bulk and poor ergonomics. I'd never consider a new Maxima. I don't see many on the road, so I think that others feel the same way. The Maxima's peak was in the mid-late 90's, when I was still in training and couldn't afford one , but lusted after it.
Hell yeah, it was the poor man's BMW, damn I wanted one so bad. But I could not get with the styling of the 95-99 version. It's not ugly but it just wasn't me. I always thought the Maxima had some of the best interiors on the market.

This new one is based off the Altima, built in Tennessee and though Nissan markets it as a sports sedan, it is now a Buick.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:29 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I had a 96 SE-5MT and it was one of the best cars I ever owned!
That was one of the last good looking Maxs. The next 2 versions were god aweful incuding this generation.