Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 TL Clean Engine Bay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 08:38 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 TL Clean Engine Bay?

I've got a 2004 TL with 247,000 miles. With those 247,000 comes years of dirt and various other liquids that have gotten all over the engine and it's parts. I was wondering if there's an easy way to clean the engine bay yourself to make it look a little nicer. Im sure there are electrical components that would need to be covered up. Just trying to keep it looking clean as best as I can for it's age and mileage.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:31 AM
Drifting

Received 599 Likes on 447 Posts
I blast my engine bay at the local car wash from time to time. Usually hit it with pre-soak when I first roll in, wash the car, then come back to the engine bay with the brush, followed by rinse. Never had any issues with anything being wet. Now I am not sitting there blasting the bay with high pressure up close. I never have the wand closer than 24" to anything.

There is plenty of oily gunk that doesn't come off around my power steering pump since I don't jam the wand in there...but overall the engine bay is mostly clean.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:05 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
I think the general procedure is to cover certain components that you don't want to get wet, then spray everything else with degreaser, then spray it with water. I have never washed my engine as I'm afraid it can cause problems and there's no harm in letting it stay dirty. I'll wipe parts of it with a rag sometimes but I'm too scared to just spray it with water.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The most important thing is to make sure the engine is cool to the touch before washing the engine bay, and cover the alternator with a plastic bag. Other than that, I usually wash the engine bay 2-3 times a year. I'll use a garden hose to spray down the engine bay following with Adam's All Purpose Cleaner and scrub with a fine bristle brush. Rinse and dry with a microfibre towel. Done.