Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 SSM RSX Type-S vs Pontiac GTP

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Getting it Done

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 SSM RSX Type-S vs Pontiac GTP

So I'm driving home with my friend and we see this guy do maybe 50mph zoomed on by, I was going 40mph. So still in 6th gear I pick up some speed maybe to 60mph and go past him, then boom he's on my ass tailing close... her merges into the right lane and just in time, the light turns red.

So were standing side by side, my friend gives him the "lets pull" sign and the guy spins tires on the red light and just slams on brakes, almost half way into the intersection lmao. Anyways I'm like ok here my chance to show what my 4 banger is made of. First I turn off the heater and radio as well, idk music distracts me. I rev it to 3k rpm and watch as the turning arrow goes from yellow to red and 2 seconds later I dump it and I'm fucking OUT.

I took him from the start and as second came in at first he pulled up just a tad then I'm almost redlining second I pull a little away, I jam it into 3rd gear and he inches to my back bumper as the rpms climb I pulled a little more. Then I pound in 4th and it stayed the same we shut it down at around 85mph with me winning it by 1 car length.

I keep going down this long stretch of road and hit another red light (this time with traffic) he so happens to get pretty close to us and rolls down his window. My friend asked him what kind of model it was he said the Grand Prix GTP with a supercharged V6. I was like damn, a S/C V6, I did pretty good he said it was a clean race and I managed to pull away. I'm sure he'd get me in 4th no problems, no tq=no top end. It was a good race the guy was cool and maybe in 40's too lol fun night!

All of that done with my spare, with a 24pack of bottles water in the trunk and a 75% filled gas tank. I can't wait to put some mods, I'm bone stock.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good kill!
Thats cool he was a good sport about it.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:46 AM
Getting it Done

Yeah he was, but he gunned it and turned right from the 2nd red light, I had to go straight. He said maybe one day we can have a re-match on a less pothole/bump filled road lol.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:07 AM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
nice kill.. my buddy in high school had one. pretty quick. auto though :thumbsdow

be careful out there.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:14 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Suprinsingly he didn't get you from the get go, those things can launch even stock. Up top they don't shine as they have bad gearing and use most of there power on the low end, now add a pulley to it...another story.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice man, very nice
Old 03-05-2010, 08:32 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Nice kill.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:23 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Monte TLS,MAX
Suprinsingly he didn't get you from the get go, those things can launch even stock. Up top they don't shine as they have bad gearing and use most of there power on the low end, now add a pulley to it...another story.
+1, I though he would at least get the first couple of feet.

Either way, good kill
Old 03-08-2010, 09:49 AM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Nice run! Actually top end is where the GTP falls on its face in stock form due to its gearing like MonteMax said. Once the GTP shifts from 2nd to 3rd(which is right where you ended the race) the RSX-S should pull pretty good up top. That is where I do most of my pulling on the stock GTP's.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Got your mom in

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i find them to be slow for some reason...i've ran a few .i always run into them and the v6 monte carlo's... one kid tried me in a base model dodge charger
Old 03-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Getting it Done

Oh really? Well woot then lol, makes sense why even with my launch he sort of pulled up closer and closer but at the gears went higher and higher I increased the distance more.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Monte TLS,MAX
....now add a pulley to it...another story.
Yep, in stock form they're 14.8-15.2@92mph cars. Add a pulley, ECU flash, headers, and some exhaust work and you've got a low 14/high 13 second car. Add a cam and the final drive out of the non-SC car and you're looking at low 13 second car. These cars are much like the LS-series V8s. You could be racing against one that goes low 15s or one that goes mid 12s. Impressive motor for sure and they can 60' like a mother too. High 1.9s on radial tires is pretty common and is proof that if you've got solid low rpm torque, even FWD can launch pretty hard. It's not uncommon for a mildly modded GTP to be putting down 300fwtq. The OEM tranny is weak though in terms of reliability and gearing. With the stock gear, 1st is good for 50mph and 2nd to 90mph! That is some tall gearing.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Got your mom in

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave_B
Yep, in stock form they're 14.8-15.2@92mph cars. Add a pulley, ECU flash, headers, and some exhaust work and you've got a low 14/high 13 second car. Add a cam and the final drive out of the non-SC car and you're looking at low 13 second car. These cars are much like the LS-series V8s. You could be racing against one that goes low 15s or one that goes mid 12s. Impressive motor for sure and they can 60' like a mother too. High 1.9s on radial tires is pretty common and is proof that if you've got solid low rpm torque, even FWD can launch pretty hard. The OEM tranny is weak though in terms of reliability and gearing. With the stock gear, 1st is good for 50mph and 2nd to 90mph! That is some tall gearing.
interesting
Old 03-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Getting it Done

+1^ I had no idea lol. The car was auto I'm 99.999% sure. Either way I enjoyed it a lot and it was a black. Last night I sort of cut off a Tundra, I mean not really I did signal, he just didn't want to let me through and I had no choice. So he was riding my ass then he tried to pass me and I dropped it into 1st from 3rd ( was at like 25mph) and I was out, the dudes a dick, I had no other choice it's not like I intentionally did it.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Yep, in stock form they're 14.8-15.2@92mph cars. Add a pulley, ECU flash, headers, and some exhaust work and you've got a low 14/high 13 second car. Add a cam and the final drive out of the non-SC car and you're looking at low 13 second car. These cars are much like the LS-series V8s. You could be racing against one that goes low 15s or one that goes mid 12s. Impressive motor for sure and they can 60' like a mother too. High 1.9s on radial tires is pretty common and is proof that if you've got solid low rpm torque, even FWD can launch pretty hard. It's not uncommon for a mildly modded GTP to be putting down 300fwtq. The OEM tranny is weak though in terms of reliability and gearing. With the stock gear, 1st is good for 50mph and 2nd to 90mph! That is some tall gearing.
Some time spent on ClubGP can result in the development of some serious respect for the performance potential of the GTP and its Impala SS/Monte Carlo SS/Regal GS counterparts.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:20 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
High 1.9s on radial tires is pretty common and is proof that if you've got solid low rpm torque, even FWD can launch pretty hard. It's not uncommon for a mildly modded GTP to be putting down 300fwtq. The OEM tranny is weak though in terms of reliability and gearing. With the stock gear, 1st is good for 50mph and 2nd to 90mph! That is some tall gearing.
Yep you are right, thats why I said as well these things can launch. I would say that they are some of the best launching high torque FWD cars along with the Regal GS from 97-04 ish. I have seem some stock/near stock launch like hell but like you said after 50 ish or so they fall flat on there faces!
Old 03-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Getting it Done

Instead of making a whole new thread and wasting ban width I'll just continue on this one.

Anyways me and my friend were chillin yesterday looking for someone to maybe run. So after a while of no luck we come to a red light where from the left of the light was a Crystler C300 turning. I see he sort of opens up the taps a little and so when the light turned green I did the same, nothing to crazy just so I can catch up. I eventually get him by the next red light we turn both right and my friend gives him the "quick run" sign.

So he's like ok lets do it, I drop it into 1st at like 25mph and I gun (yes I got the jump) and I almost redline 1st lol I put it into second and I see he's creeping up toward me. I slam it into 3rd and I pull away just a little and by 4th gear I had a little more then a car length and shut it down. He rolled his window down and said good shit.

Not sure if he gave it all he had but it pulled hard in 2nd that's for sure.

Later as the night passes we pull up to a red long straight up by a Golf GL or something like that? I ask him if he wants to run he said it doesn't matter so I was like ok. I had to ease it off of first because my lane was covered in melted snow so I didn't need to spin tires. Then I floor it and of course out of all the times to mis shift, i mis second, so pathetic. So the dude took a huge lead, i took a deep breath and put it into second and went WOT I was closing the gap at an extremely quick rate and by top of 3rd I was passed him at like 85mph or so. Cool guys for sure.

Later as the night passes some more I see a pontiac tailing my ass so I move and and he comes to a red light next to me. Guess who it is? The guy with the C300 we raced was sitting in the passengers seat lmao. I don't know what kind of Pontiac this was but I'm pretty sure it was the supercharged one, he had from all of 1st and 2nd then as 3rd gear started I was closing the gap and he shut it off when we were almost neck and neck. Good night I'd say!

Oh also a funny store, i'm leaving a coffee shop we have here in Ohio called "Arabica" I usually hang there with a lot of German tuners. I was originally going home so I had to turn left then all of a sudden I see this SEXXXXXXXXXXXXYYYYYY ass blue RX-7 drive by with a kick ass exhaust, massive inter cooler, dropped low as hell and I also noticed the tow hook on the back. So instead of turning left I'm like f this I'm following it, maybe I can get spanked by it lol. So of course I follow it and pull up a long side of it with my jaw dropped. Guess who's the driver? SEXY ass girl, with another sexy girl sitting next to her. It was crazy shit I almost came pretty much. I bet they were lesbians but dude I'd pass on sex to drive her RX-7 lmao, it was that nice. I tried to get her to bite but it was a no go, her friend giggled at my attempts but whatever.

My friend has a video of us racing the Golf I'll post it up soon.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Getting it Done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVBgKG8f3Go

Here is the golf video. No that wasn't me talking that stuff it was my friend haha he gets really pumped when we race, but it's all in good fun the guys in the golf were cool. Yeah the video is pretty pathetic considering I missed second but umm yeah.