Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 TL Type S vs 2006 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 11:24 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 842 Likes on 524 Posts
2002 TL Type S vs 2006 WRX

So I was going to work this morning and I saw this new WRX (not sure how new, but it has the new subaru corporate grille). I live in Vancouver and I go to work at Surrey (anyone here who lives in the lower mainland of BC canada?) So I was driving on the Alex Fraser Bridge heading south. I already saw this WRX from far behind driving like a mad man, swerving in and out of traffic without signaling. By the time I passed the bridge and was about to exit the freeway, it was already beside me. Actually, it flew past me. Now I really dislike this kind of drivers, they show no respect to other road users and are very dangerous. So I decided to teach him a lesson. This freeway off ramp is pretty long, and after a long straight, there's a 270 degree right turn (may be I should call it a super long hairpin?) So after it passed me, I changed to his lane and followed him. That WRX was going pretty fast down the straight and I thought he would go insanely fast through that super long hairpin. But to my surprise, it slowed down quite a bit and I managed to be right behind its tail after the turn. It wasn't raining but the road was very wet due to the rain last night. So I was quite happy then I got so close to him by cornering. After the hairpin, there is a short straight followed by a slight left turn. The WRX tried to lose me on that short straight and I could see it really tried, but then he braked again because of that slight left turn. I once again closed in the gap even though I was understeering heavily (my tires are Falken Ziex ZE512 and I have them for more than 2 years and they suck in wet condition). I guess that guy didn't want to push its new WRX too much in the rain. Anyways there's a slight uphill section and I passed him finally. I know it's dangerous doing this in the rain but I seriously hate this kind of drivers who think they own the road and I get pissed seeing people not signaling when turning or changing lanes.

Anyways, what do you guys think? I believe that was an automatic WRX. Or could it be a WRX wannabe (like a normal Impreza with some WRX bodykit, rims, etc)?
Old 11-23-2006, 12:29 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like it may have been an automatic, b/c i have a Type S and i can't hang with the manual sti's. Also, i hate to state the obvious, but you were being just as blatantly disrespectful to others on the road as he was by trying to play "get back" games with this tool. Think if he would have brake checked you hard enough and sent you flyin off the road, or worse both of you crashing. Idiots like this turd aren't worth our time trying to prove a point not worth proving.

Chris
Old 11-23-2006, 12:51 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Eh, whether it's an Automatic or a manual, wouldn't matter.

The 2nd Gen TL-S can easily take a WRX from a roll.

Funny story on the side about the WRX:

I used to own an 06 STI and always rolled out to the STI meets in So. Cal. On occassion, I'd let my little cousin take my 03 TL-S out to the meets. At every STI meet, there's always a few Impreza and WRX owners (some who buy the STI OEM kit and spoiler... )

Anyway, one time one of the WRX owners commented on how lame it was for my TL-S and my friends G35 coupe to be there at the STI meet. He didn't know the TL-S was mine so I asked him what car he drove. He pointed to a stock 05 WRX. I asked him what kind of mods he had: he said he had intake and exhaust. I then asked him how much horsepower he thought the TL-S had. He said: "Probably around 200 at the crank..."

So naturally I asked if he'd like to do three runs from a 20 mph roll. He shook his head: "You have a STI with every bolt on and reflashed ecu. Forget it."

Me: "Well I wasn't asking about racing against my STI. I was asking if you wanted to race my TL-S?"

Him: "Wait, thats yours?"

Me: "Yup. I mean it only has around 200 horsepower and I'd like to see how it'd do against a WRX with exhaust and intake."

Him: "You kidding? Why would I waste my time racing that POS?"

My friend Dan: "You can take on my POS G35. You obviously think it doesn't belong here right? Well I don't think a wimpy WRX belongs at an STI meet, so why don't the cars that 'don't belong here' have a little run?"

Him: Dude. I don't want to race the G35. I know it's fast, I was just saying it doesn't belong here at a Subaru meet.

Dan: It's supposed to be an STI meet. What about that Cobra over there? It shouldn't be here then?

Him: Nope.

Dan: Ok what about my buddy's TL-S?

Him: That's the worst of them all, it's FWD and it's here.

Dan: Then why not race him from a roll?

Him: Man. I don't want to waste my time. Acura are sh*tty cars. I hate them people who drive integras and think they're fast. Why would I waste my time on that thing?

Me: "Oh I don't know. I mean you can't take my STI, or any of the other cars here, so why not?"

Him: "Fine. You're gonna be embarrassed driving that FWD POS against my WRX."

Me: "I know.."

I rolled my Eyes as he walked away to his car and I walked to my TL-S. Now, alot of the Subaru owners were thinking I'd get killed; but one of my close friends who had a WRX knew otherwise. (The same friend who was with me that night the Turbo H22A Del Sol killed us. ) And other STI owners who also owned the 3rd Gen TL knew how quick the J32a engine was and grinned at me as a I got into my car.

We pulled up onto PCH and lined up. He had a guy in an 06 Evo tail behind us to honk and signal us when to start.

1st run: Evo honks: I killed him. Easily put a cars length on him.

2nd run same thing.

3rd run: Evo honks: I let him go first and when I see his rear tire pass my window, I gun it. I was half a car ahead by the end before he shut down.

We all drive back to the meet and the guy is obviously mad. Everyone at the meet is laughing at him. He walks over.

Him: What the hell man?! I thought you said it only had 200hp!

Me: Wait, what? Did I say it had 200hp???

Him: Yes you did! You said it so I raced you!

Me: No no no. You said it probably had 200hp. I only repeated what you said.

Him: WTF. Ok how much horsepower does it have.

Me: From the dealer? 260 at the crank. With all the mods I have in it... oh probably a little over 285 at the crank.

Him: WTF. You're a jackass.

Me: Huh. Ok. You go around trashing a car for no reason, when you obviously don't know a thing about it, and then when you get proven wrong... I'm the jackass?

Him: F*** you. I hate you old bastards thinking that you're the shit just cause you own a few nice cars.

Me: Dude. I'm only 22.

Him: I don't give a s***. You're older than me. Picking on an 18 year old... And you probably had your rich mommy or daddy buy those cars for you.

Me: You little piece of... (I was about to go off on him, when I decided to just let it go. Besides, he was already feeling bad so telling him I graduated from Berkeley, that I work full time and get paid salary, and that I'm going to Law school in the fall probably would've made him feel like even bigger of a dumbass)

Me: Sigh. Whatever kid. Fine sorry. Go grab a hotdog and a coke and cool off.

At this point I walked away and went back to my normal group of friends. My friends Dan and Mike were pretty happy that I embarrassed the kid.

Now the story would normally just end there, but it goes on....

That following tuesday I went to work in the morning. After I graduated from undergrad I deferred from starting Law school right away so that I could work for a year. I worked as a manager for the media department at a very very big and well known Retail store. I walked into work at 9 AM and greeted my usual employees who were dressed in their blue polos and khakis.

I got handed a file of a job applicant. I looked it over and told them to send the kid into the meeting room in five minutes. I sat down in the meeting room and looked over his resume and sipped on my energy drink. Someone knocks on the door... and low and behold.. it's the same kid.

That kid went pale when he saw it was me. I smiled (actually grinned evily). My phone went off and I looked down and saw it was a call from my GM. I stood up and walked towards the door.

Me: Please excuse me. It's mommy and daddy. They're gonna ask me what car I want today.

Lesson of the Day: Karma is a bitch.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:00 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

P.S. Won't let me edit the post. Becareful of WRX's that are reflashed to Cobb Stage 1. Those will actually begin to pull away from the 03 TL-S. My buddy Mike has a WRX with a Cobb reflash.. and it pulls on me all the time.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:24 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
^^

Cobb specializes in Subarus. The Stage 1 reflash for the WRX is good for +20-something HP/TQ at the crank.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 219 Likes on 168 Posts
AHAHA That was great. Owned. Stupid kid.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:30 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by TophsTLs
Sounds like it may have been an automatic, b/c i have a Type S and i can't hang with the manual sti's. Also, i hate to state the obvious, but you were being just as blatantly disrespectful to others on the road as he was by trying to play "get back" games with this tool. Think if he would have brake checked you hard enough and sent you flyin off the road, or worse both of you crashing. Idiots like this turd aren't worth our time trying to prove a point not worth proving.

Chris
I was talking about the WRX, not the Sti version. By the way, you are very right, it's not a very smart thing to teach those people a lesson, especially in wet condition. So far, I have done this twice. What I am trying to say is, I don't often do this, but then i wasn't in a good mood...oh well...I won't do this again for a long time.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:42 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

BraveDemon, that was a really great story, I really enjoyed reading it. It's hilarious, especially the part where he thought the TL-S only has 200hp. He seriously knows nothing about cars does he....

So in the end, did you hire that kid?

And I also like this sentence,

"Please excuse me. It's mommy and daddy. They're gonna ask me what car I want today."

So how did the interview go?

btw, my car has the same color as your car but mine is bone stock...
Old 11-23-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Well, I was only the first interview and I did give him a rather favorable review. He apologized for the incident at the STI meet and I'm not one to hold grudges so I just told him it wasn't a big deal. He did say that he went home that night and did some homework on the TL-S and realized he didn't have a shot without more than just bolt ons. I just laughed it off and told him to never underestimate any car on the street. Hell.. even a del sol can give you a run for your money.

So in the end, he was hired, but not to my department. He wanted to be in Car Audio. Sadly... 3 weeks into his employment, we caught him stealing headunits and speakers and had to fire him and have him arrested.

And nice choice on the color. White diamond pearl is beautiful.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:53 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yea I read your story between you, your friends' WRX and G35, and that del sol driven by a ...lady...and you are right, del sols, when modified, are insanely fast. My gf also wants one but unfortunately she doesn't have her driver's license yet...

That kid...you gave him a chance and he stole stuff from your company....speechless....

And yea, pearl white (that's what I like to call it) is awesome on the 2G TL and here in Vancouver, it's pretty rare (I've seen too many gray, black, silver TLs already). But sadly....due to the poor weather (our water has this brownish color due to the continuous heavy rainfall), I haven't had the car to wash my car for more than a month, it's so dirty now.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:00 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BraveDemon
Well, I was only the first interview and I did give him a rather favorable review. He apologized for the incident at the STI meet and I'm not one to hold grudges so I just told him it wasn't a big deal. He did say that he went home that night and did some homework on the TL-S and realized he didn't have a shot without more than just bolt ons. I just laughed it off and told him to never underestimate any car on the street. Hell.. even a del sol can give you a run for your money.

So in the end, he was hired, but not to my department. He wanted to be in Car Audio. Sadly... 3 weeks into his employment, we caught him stealing headunits and speakers and had to fire him and have him arrested.

And nice choice on the color. White diamond pearl is beautiful.

Great story, but......................Dark Emerald Pearl is by far the best color.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:21 PM
06 TL

I had a 2002 WRX for 4 years and just recently switched to a 2006 TL. They are both great cars and I love my TL, but the WRX would definitely win in a race with the TL. The WRX is a great car also.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:20 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yeah definitely, I respect the WRX for what it is, fast off the line and has amazing handling. I guess the one I met today was an automatic one, that's why it was not that fast. But even if it's manual, I believe the TL can keep up if not beat it from a rolling start. If I remember correctly, the 0-60mph time for the WRX is like 5.4 seconds, but its 1/4 mile time is close to the 2G TL type S. That, from my interpretation, means that the WRX gets off the line fast due to its 4WD but then the TL eventually catches up due to more hp and less energy loss (4WD vs 2WD).
Old 11-24-2006, 01:09 AM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Originally Posted by abhi101cru
I had a 2002 WRX for 4 years and just recently switched to a 2006 TL. They are both great cars and I love my TL, but the WRX would definitely win in a race with the TL. The WRX is a great car also.
From a dead stop yes, the WRX will win. But from a roll, no.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:16 AM
Burning Brakes

first person over 30 to post on this thread. BTW, IFORYOU, you'll be teaching a lot of lessons to a lot of bad drivers before you hit 30. I recommend you just grin and deal with the fact that the only lessons that will teach any of them anything are jail time, heavy fines, ER time or death.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:17 AM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
^^^^^^^^what is up this your post? Really no reason to preach to anyone that posts on this section of the board, why you should not race and have fun. A safe little run now and then is no big deal. You just need to be safe and smart about it, not reckless.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:54 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

stiletto, that's exactly what my dad tells me all the time. Whenever he sees someone flying pass us, or just swerving in and out of traffic, he would say, "man, they are so desperate in going to the underworld." And I totally agree with you to just ignore to those people, and once again, I must state that I do not race people all the time. I mean, it's more like once or twice a year. Come on, I'm only 20 and sometimes, it's tough to control. I know that's not an excuse, but eventually as I grow older and become more mature, I can control the temptation better.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:15 PM
06 TL

Originally Posted by BraveDemon
From a dead stop yes, the WRX will win. But from a roll, no.
Agreed, it sucks from a roll, unless its modded like mine was
Old 12-05-2006, 11:54 PM
Banned

!!!!!!!!!!!!! That... was THE BEST story.. EVER!