Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18" OEM center cap red film removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
18" OEM center cap red film removal

i tried to do a search, but no luck.....just had the OEM 18s installed....i know the center caps on the OEM 18's have a red plastic film...I guess my question is, can the center caps be removed without removing the entire wheel.....i have tried to pop out the center cap with a small screwdriver, but i don't want to break it!
Old 04-12-2004, 05:36 PM
Racer

I think it is safer to remove the cap by taking the wheel out, you don't want to scratch the finish on that nice 18" OEM wheel.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fides7
i tried to do a search, but no luck.....just had the OEM 18s installed....i know the center caps on the OEM 18's have a red plastic film...I guess my question is, can the center caps be removed without removing the entire wheel.....i have tried to pop out the center cap with a small screwdriver, but i don't want to break it!
I don't understand what you're saying: the red plastic film is simply to cover the adhesive surface of the emblem. Another member chose to leave the film on for aesthetic purposes (I was not in support of that) and therefore chose to leave it on. Did you installer LEAVE the red film on?? And if so, how did he adhere the emblem onto the center cap?

The center caps CANNOT and SHOULD NOT be removed w/ a flat head screwdriver, etc. You can just take about 1.5 hours and jack up each of the four corners of your car individually and remove each wheels and accomplish whatever it is that you want to accomplish. This will save you the $80.00 re-install fee. The tast is perfectly doable in your garage with the stock jack and hardware included in the trunk.

Raj
Old 04-12-2004, 06:00 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I don't understand what you're saying: the red plastic film is simply to cover the adhesive surface of the emblem. Another member chose to leave the film on for aesthetic purposes (I was not in support of that) and therefore chose to leave it on. Did you installer LEAVE the red film on?? And if so, how did he adhere the emblem onto the center cap?

The center caps CANNOT and SHOULD NOT be removed w/ a flat head screwdriver, etc. You can just take about 1.5 hours and jack up each of the four corners of your car individually and remove each wheels and accomplish whatever it is that you want to accomplish. This will save you the $80.00 re-install fee. The tast is perfectly doable in your garage with the stock jack and hardware included in the trunk.

Raj
Not only that, but you will be the one unscrewing the lug nuts from each of the wheels, taking care not to scratch the wheel like the freaking incompetent techs at Firestone scratched mine.

Okay, now that I'm through ranting, you'll have to remove the wheel in order to move/take off the center cap.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:08 PM
Intermediate

the red plastic film doesn't cover any adhesive on the emblem as it has 2 short posts that go into the center cap. when i recieved my replacement wheel i peeled off the film and pushed the emblem on the center cap. i tried to push the posts of the emblem from behind to remove emblem and couldn't. so it is secure. my installer had left the film on and i had to use an exacto knife to remove film. not fun. will probably order 3 new center caps as some areas are too narrow to do. stupid installer tech was at certified tire rack dealer. you must remove wheel to push out center cap
Old 04-12-2004, 06:15 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by phil
the red plastic film doesn't cover any adhesive on the emblem as it has 2 short posts that go into the center cap. when i recieved my replacement wheel i peeled off the film and pushed the emblem on the center cap. i tried to push the posts of the emblem from behind to remove emblem and couldn't. so it is secure. my installer had left the film on and i had to use an exacto knife to remove film. not fun. will probably order 3 new center caps as some areas are too narrow to do. stupid installer tech was at certified tire rack dealer. you must remove wheel to push out center cap
Actually, the emblem does cover the adhesive behind the outline of the Acura logo. Even if you don't put the little clips on the back of the cap, the logo will stick.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:40 PM
Cruisin'

yep...that's what happened....the Firestone tech left the red plastic film on the center cap and put the Acura logo over the film...guess i'll be removing the wheels tomorrow so that i can remove the center cap and peel the red plastic film off of the center caps..how fun
Old 04-12-2004, 07:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
you'll need new emblems for sure .. or some nice crazy glue b/c the adhesive is a one time deal...
Old 04-12-2004, 07:57 PM
Burning Brakes

That was me who decided to leave the film on after my dealer had installed it. I have NBP and I think it looks great. I have gotten a lot of comments on it as well. But everyone has there own taste. My buddy kept it on as well. He is doesnt really like it because he has Silver and it really does not go along with silver. He had it installed wiith it on becuase he liked mine. The only problem is that sometime it is difficult to clean. I am keeping it on. Maybe I will get bored of it and take it off when I have the summer rims removed. Good luck!! :toothless
Old 04-12-2004, 09:24 PM
Intermediate

Exclamation emblem center caps

i'm confused! i'm looking at one right now. there is no adhesive on mine just the 2 plastic posts that are part of the acura symbol that one pushes through the 2 holes in the center cap i cannot pop the acura symbol off of the center cap. if one left the film on over the adhesive, how would the emblem stay on the center cap ?
Old 04-12-2004, 09:37 PM
Intermediate

Exclamation emblem center caps

i'm confused! i'm looking at one right now. there is no adhesive on mine just the 2 plastic posts that are part of the acura symbol that one pushes through the 2 holes in the center cap i cannot pop the acura symbol off of the center cap. wait i just checked another one and there is a small amount of adhesive in a couple of places.