AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/)
-   -   08 TL Type S(AT) vs 05 Bmw 330i sedan (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/08-tl-type-s-vs-05-bmw-330i-sedan-839120/)

Bread-A Spec 11-18-2011 01:53 AM

08 TL Type S(AT) vs 05 Bmw 330i sedan

Hey guys,

Just got home with like 3km race with a 05 bmw 330i sedan with M-Sport pkg(not sure AT or MT)

The weather is little rain,but the road was really really wet,was snow rain before an hour.

First i was at the traffic light,waiting for green light and i saw my right side mirror,there's a bimmer was coming fast with aftermarket angel eyes on the right side,we both fully stop at the traffic light,when the lights goes green,he push hard,i did push hard too after i hit 30 to 40km/h,i definitely kill the bimmer(like after 50km/h),i keep look at my mirror,the bimmer did not give up even we were at about 110km/h,and after i shifted to the 3rd gear,the bimmer is give up,lucky there were not many cars on the road,cuz the road is like "S",not staright at all,and my tire was like 70% gone,i was scared "will i lose or win",i know i shouldn't try when the weather was like that,it was just becuz the bimmer driver was so cocky.

Please comment guys:thumbsup:

ohsixMTee 11-18-2011 02:05 AM

It sounds to me like you're lucky you didn't injure yourself or someone else.

rush 11-18-2011 02:32 AM

Hope it was like this look below

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljYPM...e_gdata_player

Sent from my iPhone

vhtran 11-18-2011 07:30 AM

LOL ... since when launching hard at the stop light is being cocky?

BEAR-AvHistory 11-18-2011 09:20 AM

I am guilty of a little traffic light Grand Prix on occasion but running in the rain is pure stupidity. More so if at that temperature, snow to come, either car had summer tires.

Whacking yourself or somebody else is a real bad plan.

Bread-A Spec 11-20-2011 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by vhtran (Post 13371406)
LOL ... since when launching hard at the stop light is being cocky?

not only that,cuz he is the one wanted to play first lol

Bread-A Spec 11-20-2011 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by ohsixMTee (Post 13371289)
It sounds to me like you're lucky you didn't injure yourself or someone else.

cuz the road was really really wet lol,and i know bimmer handling is better than my S for sure

BEAR-AvHistory 11-21-2011 07:45 AM

^^^^^

First off I am not criticizing your running out of a traffic lite, enjoy doing it myself when its safe.

Just two things, agree the 330 will out handle the TL, my 330 is a better corner turner then my TL was. Problem is if the 330 had summer tires, all sport options come stock with summer rubber, they really really suck when its cold, (sudden break away) more so when its cold & wet. With a little snow on the ground I can’t get up the slight hill to get out of the subdivision.

As far as the other guy wanting to go, why be a follower, just pass on the bad ones? If I went with every challenge my tire bill would quickly get out of control.

RUF87 11-21-2011 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory (Post 13371564)
I am guilty of a little traffic light Grand Prix on occasion but running in the rain is pure stupidity. More so if at that temperature, snow to come, either car had summer tires.

Whacking yourself or somebody else is a real bad plan.

It's in out blood . . I thought I might out grow it, but it's almost as bad as ever. Traffic is so much heavier than whan I was young and itching for a run, but it's almost impossible to do a full run without too much risk. That's the reason the run with the Hemi didn't get above 80.

Ruf

BEAR-AvHistory 11-21-2011 11:32 AM

Some people are risk takers but as I got older I think I make better choices on the risk. My wife is not happy with me pulling G’s doing aerobatics in a 68 year old plane but I tell her only flybys at low level . I always have altitude & wear a chute when doing anything“risky”.

I'm also good to go up about 80mph, if you hit a radar gun the ticket will be lighter & you can lawyer-up to plea bargain down to no points just pay the $200.

For me the other nice thing is a 2nd gear start keeps the tires in contact with the street instead of making incense for the Tire Gods. I only have to make one shift into 3rd @ just over 60mph. 3rd will run to 83mph. The 1st gear multiplication & 370ftlbs of torque is not a good plan street tires in a light car. My normal shift point is 6250rpm on a 7000rpm red line so the engine is not getting all strung out either.

Bread-A Spec 11-22-2011 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory (Post 13376792)
Some people are risk takers but as I got older I think I make better choices on the risk. My wife is not happy with me pulling G’s doing aerobatics in a 68 year old plane but I tell her only flybys at low level . I always have altitude & wear a chute when doing anything“risky”.

I'm also good to go up about 80mph, if you hit a radar gun the ticket will be lighter & you can lawyer-up to plea bargain down to no points just pay the $200.

For me the other nice thing is a 2nd gear start keeps the tires in contact with the street instead of making incense for the Tire Gods. I only have to make one shift into 3rd @ just over 60mph. 3rd will run to 83mph. The 1st gear multiplication & 370ftlbs of torque is not a good plan street tires in a light car. My normal shift point is 6250rpm on a 7000rpm red line so the engine is not getting all strung out either.

true:thumbsup:....i agree with you somtimes keep in 2nd gear to start is better lol....if i really need or have to gas up hard from a dig,i will keep the shift in Auto mode,not SS...haha...better contact u said!

anx1300c 11-22-2011 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bread-A Spec (Post 13378349)
true:thumbsup:....i agree with you somtimes keep in 2nd gear to start is better lol....if i really need or have to gas up hard from a dig,i will keep the shift in Auto mode,not SS...haha...better contact u said!

No Honda will ever benefit from starting out in any gear but first. HUGE difference between a 5AT TL and a 335is when you're comparing available torque off idle.

Bread-A Spec 11-23-2011 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by anx1300c (Post 13379360)
No Honda will ever benefit from starting out in any gear but first. HUGE difference between a 5AT TL and a 335is when you're comparing available torque off idle.

we were talking about the control at the first gear,not the power:whyme:

anx1300c 11-23-2011 09:34 PM

You're right. Stock TL's make so much power off idle, especially automatics, you want to be careful you don't gas it too hard and wrap it around the nearest tree. Is it possible to start off in third?

Bread-A Spec 11-24-2011 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by anx1300c (Post 13382551)
You're right. Stock TL's make so much power off idle, especially automatics, you want to be careful you don't gas it too hard and wrap it around the nearest tree. Is it possible to start off in third?

will love to race your 6MT bro:toocool:

BEAR-AvHistory 11-24-2011 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bread-A Spec (Post 13382793)

He has performance mods you have dress up mods. I think his tires would seal the deal & I would put my bet on the TL 6MT

Bread-A Spec 11-24-2011 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory (Post 13383180)
He has performance mods you have dress up mods. I think his tires would seal the deal & I would put my bet on the TL 6MT

If he is in my city,I would like to try...but I will always not try or play with a 6MT type s

mazdaspeed3God 03-25-2012 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bread-A Spec (Post 13375930)
cuz the road was really really wet lol,and i know bimmer handling is better than my S for sure

Uhh... sir you got that backwards. Not the handling part, but *taking off* in the wet. If it was cold out and wet the 330 will have to take easy on the gas to keep from spinning. Two things: Summer tires and RWD will not do any favor in this kind of weather condition.

On a nice sunny day the 330i should be able to take out the TL-S Auto. And really beat hard after 110 mph.

Next

:yum:

BostonSilverTypeS 03-25-2012 12:14 PM

I ran E46 330i coupe back when I only had PCD/Jpipe/T.Pipe and SRI we did highway pulls and needless to say it was very embarassing for the 330i :toocool:....By the time I reached 130mph from a 60mph roll he was Bus lenghts behind me.... Must have been so bad for him that when I slowed down to try to talk to him when he caught up, he just flies by me and never looks back:whyme:

Originally Posted by Bread-A Spec (Post 13382793)

You may love the chance to race one but with no serious mods, you will not love the outcome!!!:toocool:

Originally Posted by Bread-A Spec (Post 13383873)
If he is in my city,I would like to try...but I will always not try or play with a 6MT type s

Only chance we stand with the TL-S 6mt is from a dig with at least the mods I have done, other than that 4th gear and on we are toast!!..but traffic light to traffic light is a different story or 1/4mile:yum:...more proof to come in the coming months on some solid 1/4 mile times!!! 13.9x or BUST!!:tomato: