3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Acura TL-S Needs Rad Support Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 12:22 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 08 Acura TL-S Needs Rad Support Help Needed!

Hi Everyone, I am a new member, I will be properly introducing myself in a new thread but for now i need help with making a decision.

My friend crashed my TL that i just recently purchased and i need a new front end. Question is Should i purchase an OEM radiator support or AN Aftermarket one from the local Shops. Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Old 06-22-2017, 01:57 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
well, how much do you or your friend want to spend?

if $$$$$$$$ go for the OEM.
but if only $$ go for the Aftermarket
Old 06-22-2017, 02:44 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
I'd imagine if the aftermarket one doesnt need to be custom fit that would be the better (cheaper) choice. Obviously the OEM one bent with a wreck so you can't expect the aftermarket one to be less durable, but I haven't actually replaced mine so thats just my thoughts. Harder to mess up a bracket than say a water pump.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (06-22-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 02:13 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
OEM only if you want all the parts to fit and line up properly. Just like pre accident condition.

Use aftermarket if you don't care and have time to waste.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:37 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by 01acls
OEM only if you want all the parts to fit and line up properly. Just like pre accident condition.

sounds like their trying to fix it themselves. for first timers, it wont line up any way.

when i bent my rad support, i beat that motherfucker down with a hammer
Old 06-23-2017, 06:43 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by justnspace
sounds like their trying to fix it themselves. for first timers, it wont line up any way.

LOL, I don't doubt it. Radiator Supports are not exactly a DIY project... Especially on Acuras.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:08 AM
7th Gear

Its more about looking at the parts function and seeing if its cost effective to go and shell out 450 as opposed to 200 bucks for a rad support but I purchased an aftermarket one already. The shop that is completing the job said they will line everything up the way it should be.Thank you for the input
Old 06-23-2017, 09:14 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace

That isn't always true but i can understand that factory parts are usually going to fit more properly. I guess ill have to stay tuned for the end result.Thanks for your input.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:16 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by GreenSpades
I'd imagine if the aftermarket one doesnt need to be custom fit that would be the better (cheaper) choice. Obviously the OEM one bent with a wreck so you can't expect the aftermarket one to be less durable, but I haven't actually replaced mine so thats just my thoughts. Harder to mess up a bracket than say a water pump.
True i feel you, When examining the oem one i noticed that it wasn't very durable. Ill compare and share my thoughts on the durability of the parts.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:17 AM
7th Gear

Very true, Im just trying to get it back on the road i just purchased it last week and didn't really get to drive it yet
Old 06-23-2017, 03:42 PM
Drifting

If you must use aftermarket autobody parts you should look for a "CAPA Certified" part. It's arguably the best aftermarket autobody parts.

It's suppositly been through some form of independent tests/certification for "parts that will fit, perform, last and be every bit as safe as the originals. CAPA Certification is even recognized by government regulators as an assurance of quality".

Probably the next best thing to OEM.

​​​​
Old 06-23-2017, 03:50 PM
7th Gear

If you must use aftermarket autobody parts you should look for a "CAPA Certified" part. It's arguably the best aftermarket autobody parts.

It's suppositly been through some form of independent tests/certification for "parts that will fit, perform, last and be every bit as safe as the originals. CAPA Certification is even recognized by government regulators as an assurance of quality".

Probably the next best thing to OEM.

​​​​
Yes I always use capa when OEM is not available
Old 06-23-2017, 03:53 PM
7th Gear

Hello Everyone,

so I cancelled the Order for the Aftermarket rad Support and was able to find a OEM one of this vehicle in Florida, I feel a bit more better about going that route, Thank you all for your responses and input on the post. Much Appreciated