Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Acura TL VS 07/08 BIMMER 3-series 328I

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 12:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 Acura TL VS 07/08 BIMMER 3-series 328I

Guys, I just got my 07 WDP TL few months ago, I like the car very much. But I have a question you guys might help me w/ that. Basically as we all know 07 TL horse power being cut to 258 from yr04/05 270 since its not that big difference. Today I test drove my friend's 08 BMW 3 series 328I w/ 230 horse power on it, then I felt like a huge difference I mainly talking about the horse power when I felt that I step hard on its gas comparing to my car. Any one could kindly explain to me why was that since TL gets more horse power than bmw but feels like BMW 3 series has much much more power then TL even the sporty shift? I am thinking stupid that would be any problem of my used car or its normal if comparing to bmw? I am appreciated for any of your guys help with that problem.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
Yeah, we know about the 270hp to 258hp but that was because of how they rated it. They never changed the engine.

What your feeling is probably torque (that throw you back to the seat feeling) not hp but the TL has more torque so I don't know. They should be about the same performance wise.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:06 AM
NBP is a pain...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hrm...i thought the TL lacks torque in the lower rpm band range but im not too sure...
Old 06-23-2010, 07:02 AM
Veni, vidi, vici

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
maybe there something wrong with your TL?? I have raced a couple of soem 3 series, and performance wise (base against base) my TL out performed them, and when facing a 5 series, it's quick at the start, but my TL was able to pass withen seconds. maybe being in a different car after being in a TL would give the illusion that its faster.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:09 AM
Chapter Leader (Central Florida)

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
the 3 series is RWD! thats why it feels 'faster' from a dig with less horse power, because it probably is! the TL is a FANTASTIC car, dont get me wrong, but it will always be handicapped against cars in its class by the fact that its FWD.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:45 AM
Veni, vidi, vici

Originally Posted by LostSol_FoundTL
the 3 series is RWD! thats why it feels 'faster' from a dig with less horse power, because it probably is! the TL is a FANTASTIC car, dont get me wrong, but it will always be handicapped against cars in its class by the fact that its FWD.
I would like to see how those cars hold up in the snow

but the man gots a very valid point, its RWD.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:57 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
BMW/Benz/Audi have excellent lower gear torque..e x c e l l e n t.... TLs do not..FWD.

But once 3rd gear hits in a TL - BMW begins to die a little.. so above 40mph... bmw 328i really has no chance to keep up. (I owned one before, so I know)
Old 06-23-2010, 08:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bayam0n
I would like to see how those cars hold up in the snow
RWD does fine in the snow....it's all about the tires.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
I'm thinking that the 3er is lighter, RWD (less hp lost at the wheels), BMW understates their HP & lack of low end torque on the TL may explain your feelings.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:07 AM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
<Waits for IHC to chime in....>
Old 06-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ggesq
I'm thinking that the 3er is lighter, RWD (less hp lost at the wheels), BMW understates their HP & lack of low end torque on the TL may explain your feelings.

But shouldn't be a big difference of feeling it b/w TL and 3-series? wouldn't be any specific problem of my TL casue it feel less power?
Old 06-23-2010, 11:40 AM

the difference youre feeling comes from the different powertrain layout. RWD cars launch better so will give you a better feeling of acceleration. FWD cars tend not to bite as well off the line and are usually more sluggish until higher speed.

Also remember, that BMW has a 6 speed transmission, so a higher gear ratio in first helps with that extra oomph as well.

Finally the torque curve on the BMW straight sixes is very fat, ive driven a 09 328i and it made my car feel slow as hell off the line.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
BMW: Low end torque, RWD, and N**(N54 I think?) engine

At the end of the day, the TL would win, but not by long.

Just add the RV6 J-pipe too your TL and you would feel a comfortable increase in Low End Torque.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Intermediate

Smile

Originally Posted by LostSol_FoundTL
the difference youre feeling comes from the different powertrain layout. RWD cars launch better so will give you a better feeling of acceleration. FWD cars tend not to bite as well off the line and are usually more sluggish until higher speed.

Also remember, that BMW has a 6 speed transmission, so a higher gear ratio in first helps with that extra oomph as well.

Finally the torque curve on the BMW straight sixes is very fat, ive driven a 09 328i and it made my car feel slow as hell off the line.

appreciated with your explaination. I drove my friend 328i yesterday accelerated to 4th gear it was mad fast and felt like very powerful. no offense that I feel my TL was real slow as hell like 4 cyl car. so my TL is normal rite?
Old 06-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Race Director

if your TL-S feels really slow, you are doing it wrong.

a) honda engines respond to weather conditions - hot weather it will adjust to compensate for air density, bmw does not, thus their engines do not last as long.

b) tires? spin? planting more hp on the ground will result in excellent acceleration for a FWD

c) 328i may feel faster as it is a smaller & lighter car, and let's not forget, it's like sitting on the bench with a steering wheel...you do feel the sensation of speed.

I will murder a 328i...
Old 06-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Veni, vidi, vici

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
BMW: Low end torque, RWD, and N**(N54 I think?) engine

At the end of the day, the TL would win, but not by long.

Just add the RV6 J-pipe to your TL and you would feel a comfortable increase in Low End Torque.

+1... also wait another month and you'll see Richie unviel a new exhaust system for the TL base and type-s, I've heard that it's gonna be badazzz and totally outperform other exhaust systems for the TL...
Old 06-23-2010, 01:47 PM
Racer

Bayam0n: any info on this?
Old 06-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Veni, vidi, vici

Originally Posted by newfrito11
Bayam0n: any info on this?
Rich even told me himself, that he is working on a exhaust design, and that was a month ago, then today someone told me his car was actually on the dyno for this exhaust, and it was kicking ASS... the other exhausts dont have a chance
Old 06-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Ricer Killer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ky5totan
appreciated with your explaination. I drove my friend 328i yesterday accelerated to 4th gear it was mad fast and felt like very powerful. no offense that I feel my TL was real slow as hell like 4 cyl car. so my TL is normal rite?
Um....I smoke 328i's all the time. It might seem like its fast cuz of the sound (TL's arent very loud...) or something. I guarantee you, your TL is faster 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc. But if you are driving AT, just dont floor it RIGHT OFF THE LINE. you dont want that wheel spin. but once you are moving, pedal to the metal.

"real slow as hell like 4 cyl car" idk about that. TSX is a BIG 4 cylinder car (free breather), and it takes more than 7 sec to get to 60. your TL can do it under 6.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
I beat a current gen BMW 328i with my 07 5AT. Not by much, but not too bad either.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by ky5totan
Guys, I just got my 07 WDP TL few months ago, I like the car very much. But I have a question you guys might help me w/ that. Basically as we all know 07 TL horse power being cut to 258 from yr04/05 270 since its not that big difference. Today I test drove my friend's 08 BMW 3 series 328I w/ 230 horse power on it, then I felt like a huge difference I mainly talking about the horse power when I felt that I step hard on its gas comparing to my car. Any one could kindly explain to me why was that since TL gets more horse power than bmw but feels like BMW 3 series has much much more power then TL even the sporty shift? I am thinking stupid that would be any problem of my used car or its normal if comparing to bmw? I am appreciated for any of your guys help with that problem.
The 328i has a few differences vs the TL that make it seem faster. The first of these is the way BMW makes it's transmissions. First gear is VERY short in the 6sp transmissions so the motor can get into the powerband a lot faster. This gives you that feeling of instant torque and power versus the TL which needs a little longer to spin up. The second advantage of the BMW is it's size and weight, it's a lot lighter and smaller than the TL and will require less torque to get it moving.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bayam0n
Rich even told me himself, that he is working on a exhaust design, and that was a month ago, then today someone told me his car was actually on the dyno for this exhaust, and it was kicking ASS... the other exhausts dont have a chance
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...
Old 06-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 3 series BMW is between 200 and 300 pounds lighter than the TL. As others have stated the BMW's have a higher low end torque that helps to give that quickness off the line.

I had an older 528i that only had 170 hp and 169 fptq. It felt very strong low end, but still took 8 seconds+ to get to 60 mph. It was only 3,300 pounds in 1980
Old 06-23-2010, 06:47 PM
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by TeknoKing
if your TL-S feels really slow, you are doing it wrong.

a) honda engines respond to weather conditions - hot weather it will adjust to compensate for air density, bmw does not, thus their engines do not last as long.

Really? Can you elaborate on this?
Old 06-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by csmeance
The 328i has a few differences vs the TL that make it seem faster. The first of these is the way BMW makes it's transmissions. First gear is VERY short in the 6sp transmissions so the motor can get into the powerband a lot faster. This gives you that feeling of instant torque and power versus the TL which needs a little longer to spin up. The second advantage of the BMW is it's size and weight, it's a lot lighter and smaller than the TL and will require less torque to get it moving.
Thanks for your info. really helpful a lot!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:39 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by ajt123
Really? Can you elaborate on this?
Ever noticed in hot weather, you press on the gas, and the TL feels like is a v4...the air is full of humidity, so the combustion aren't as good, ECU compensates it for it by regulating the air/fuel mixture = combustion. It is all about air density... You can take yourself as an example, do you breathe easier during hot or cold days? During hot days how do you compensate? by slowing down, adjusting to the temp... hondas have some brilliant engineers, their cars truly are built to drive to 200K without a hitch.

In a bmw, no matter when you press the gas, it will always drives the same..which is a fun thing, I must admit. There is a slow down for them too, but not as great, they seem to be built better to fight heat soaking, they are more performances geared and not really for longevity. After all, it is a bmw, "a driving machine", not a honda.

I honestly dont have the technical info, but I heard this before from people that built engines. Sorry for my vagueness.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:40 PM
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
Ever noticed in hot weather, you press on the gas, and the TL feels like is a v4...the air is full of humidity, so the combustion aren't as good, ECU compensates it for it by regulating the air/fuel mixture = combustion. It is all about air density... You can take yourself as an example, do you breathe easier during hot or cold days? During hot days how do you compensate? by slowing down, adjusting to the temp... hondas have some brilliant engineers, their cars truly are built to drive to 200K without a hitch.

In a bmw, no matter when you press the gas, it will always drives the same..which is a fun thing, I must admit. There is a slow down for them too, but not as great, they seem to be built better to fight heat soaking, they are more performances geared and not really for longevity. After all, it is a bmw, "a driving machine", not a honda.

I honestly dont have the technical info, but I heard this before from people that built engines. Sorry for my vagueness.
No it's cool man. I know exactly what you mean about the power sap, but on my car specifically it's no worse than on any other cars I've experienced. I wouldn't be a happy camper if it totally bogged it down, however.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

Cars have IATs for temperature and V4?
The PCM will always keep changing the AF mixture. MAP or MAF, doesn't matter.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:27 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by SpiderX1016
Of course, but on German cars, the throttle response is not as dumbified as on hondas. I punched my 328, regardless of the weather, normal driving would always feel fine except with a/c on, lol, it felt like i had a parachute deployed in back holding me down...
Old 06-24-2010, 09:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
last night a 4 door 328 with exhaust (sounded different than a normal 328) wanted to race me. there was no traffic on the road but I still didn't wanna do it. He kept pulling up to me, reving his engine, having small pulls then backing off, being a douche bag.

he followed me to the empty road leading out of the city (that's the way I go to my house anyways) and we did 2 pulls, from a complete stop and from a roll. From the stop I couldn't get traction but I caught up in 3rd gear. And from a roll we went from about 50km/h, in the 2nd gear (2500-3000rpm) and I pulled on him in every gear. I shut it down at about 140-150km/h and he just flew past me.
I have no performance mods on my car what so ever.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by SpiderX1016
Well, the goal is to keep the AF the same regardless of conditions.

MAP vs MAF does matter somewhat and especially when the mods start but that's not the topic. Speed Density (MAP) calculates the amount of air entering the engine via rpm, temperature, throttle position, manifold vacuum and several other parameters. MAF actually measures air entering the engine. I prefer the system that measures air rather than calculates it. Both check the end result via 02 sensors. MAP is fine for a stock car but it's always possible for weather extremes to slightly "confuse" it.