3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 ABP/6spd/Nav in the house!! (w/ Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 11:50 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 ABP/6spd/Nav in the house!! (w/ Pics)

So after a very sleepless night (knowing that my TL had come into the dealership on Wed afternoon), I made it over to the dealer this morning (9/30) as their doors were opening.
Luckily all the paperwork had been completed a couple of days ago, so I was just there to test drive it and approve everything for them to begin the detailing process.

Being the anal person that I am when it comes to my toys, I had specifically asked them to a) not take the plastic off the car till I saw it in person b) ensure that the front license plate bracket was not screwed on. Luckily both these things were in effect (especially since I had been harassing my salesman about them for a week).

After an extensive but spirited test drive, we sent the car over to get detailed. Now after waiting for nearly an hour, I started getting restless and wanted to see how my new baby was coming along - so I walked over to the detailing bay to find the psuedo-detailer about to take a dirty cloth to the surface of my brand-new paint (in order to dry it from the wash)! I freaked out and asked him to pull out the high-pressure air nozzle instead. A couple of minutes later I was drying my own car and nothing felt better at that time. Finally, they had to pry me away from the work area and I left knowing that I atleast wont have swirl marks courtesy of the dealership.

I then wandered over to the parts counter and was pleasantly surprised to run into an Acura rep who was visiting the dealer. He and I struck a good conversation about changes for the '05 and he himself mentioned that Acura had corrected the driveline vibration problem from the '04 year. Additional fixes were improvements to the rattles and squeaks. He was not aware of any changes to the leather-wrinkling issue. I made sure I got his contact information incase we ever need to find out some inside-scoop. Oh, he did mention that an AWD version would probably make its way to the TL but Honda is very secretive and it may not happen for a few years. Take that for whatever its worth..

At that time my ABP/Camel/6spd/NAV was all set to go and I was on my way.

The car has been great to drive and no problems seem to be apparent at this time. The only issue that I have had so far is with slipping the car into 1st gear. It does not move into the gate as easily as it should. This has happened maybe half a dozen times and I'll keep track as to how long this continues.

Even though the book says to take it easy for the first 600 miles, I have been running the car throughout the RPM range and the gears. Not too much pampering going on here
Here is what I follow: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I got the car for $1000 under MSRP from Radley Acura in Northern VA. Had a deposit in NJ as well for $1500 under but they couldnt get the car till later.

Here are some pictures of the car in its stock form. Tomorrow, it will be wearing the 18" Sparkle Silver A-Spec wheels with Toyo Proxes 4 tires (245/40/18). I am hoping that these tires would stick better than the stock Michelins...

Old 10-01-2004, 12:25 AM
Instructor

I was pretty sure that Acura was going to address the minimal rattle and quality issues with the '05 even though it wasn't disclosed in any press releases. Thanks for the confirmation.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:27 AM
Advanced

Even though the book says to take it easy for the first 600 miles, I have been running the car throughout the RPM range and the gears. Not too much pampering going on here
Here is what I follow: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Good luck. Mine is in house too. waiting for a spec to be put on. couldn't agree more. I have done the above to all my cars, from BMW to Acura. Break in fast, stays fast.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Congrats! Keep us posted!
Old 10-01-2004, 08:05 AM
Advanced

Congrats! Just took delivery of an 05 6MT navi myself. Silver/quartz. I paid $34700. You seem like you're concerned about the paint as I am. How long are you waiting on the first wax? What are you planning to use?
Old 10-01-2004, 11:57 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Congratulations.

3rd 05TL here??

Help!?

1. Could you feel if there is felt inside the inner wiper of the windows? (lower down your 4 windows and touch the inner wipers by your fingers)

2. Navi Verision? (Check the setup or remove Navi DVD)
Old 10-01-2004, 01:13 PM
Instructor

the envyness....thats exactly the specs i want.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Feels good doesn't it???
Old 10-01-2004, 02:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TheDude_RENAMED
Congrats! Just took delivery of an 05 6MT navi myself. Silver/quartz. I paid $34700. You seem like you're concerned about the paint as I am. How long are you waiting on the first wax? What are you planning to use?
Congrats to the new 6MT NAVI owners!
I have had mine since December and it is an unbelievable car.

I recommend Zaino. I used it the first time on my first wax after about 4 months. It gives an awesome mirror like shine.

Lakeman
Old 10-01-2004, 02:22 PM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats!
Old 10-01-2004, 11:16 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Basing your brerak-in on that Mototune's guy is really asking for it - he looks goofy, an more to the point, he has superior knowledge to the Honda engineers, some of whom design F1 engines? Puh-leez. i read that article last year, and the scientific discipline is weak and anecdotal. Not for me.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:13 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Road Rage
Basing your brerak-in on that Mototune's guy is really asking for it - he looks goofy, an more to the point, he has superior knowledge to the Honda engineers, some of whom design F1 engines? Puh-leez. i read that article last year, and the scientific discipline is weak and anecdotal. Not for me.
Agreed...sounds fishy to me. Not totally convinced because if the first 1k miles were meant to be run hard, then all the car manufacturers would be writing that in their manuals.
Old 10-02-2004, 05:44 AM
Advanced

Congratulations on the new ride. Keep us posted on how it handles with the new wheel/tire set-up. Any plans on what to do with the stock tires/wheels?