Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04TL Front Bumper painted 5 times!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 07:18 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04TL Front Bumper painted 5 times!

I posted earlier on here about the paint pealing off where my front bumper meets the quarter panel. Mind you this is on the side of the car and not the front.

2004 Acura TL White pearl

Bumper pealed. (Both sides)
The bumper was repainted. (paint matched perfect)

It pealed again. (2nd time Left side only)
Called Acura client services about paint concerns
Bumper repainted (paint didn't match)

It peeled again. (3rd time Left side only)
Called Acura client services to complain about pealing...their response - it's under warrantee isn't it? What am I supposed to do?... have my car painted every 2 months until the warrantee runs out?
Bumper repainted (paint didn't match - dealer agreed to repaint bumper)

Bumper was repainted for a 4th time.
Paint still does not match and they did not strip the bumper either!!!

Now the bumper must be repainted for the 5th time.

While all this painting was going on the headliner was fixed 3 times for clicks and squeeks... the rear deck lid was fixed twice for rattles... the subwoofer was replaced because it was blown out. All of this in 11 months of ownership and 10,000 miles.

I have contacted a Lemon Law lawyer reguarding the front bumper peeling and I have a solid case. I can receive a new TL or get my money back. Problem is... There isn't another car out there in the price range +/- $5k that I would want.

I love the car. It has clicks and squeaks that drive me nutts but I love the interior, the XM, the bluetooth, the power and everythign else...but damn the car is just not living up the the Acura standards I had hoped for.

I've owned 5 Honda/Acura vehicles and my 2000 Civic Si didn't have as many squeaks!

Looks like I'll try to get an 05 and start over...
Old 12-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the bumper original or a replacement part? Have you ever treated it with anything other than wax?

Is the worked being done by an Acura dealer, or do they sublet it to a local bodyshop?
Old 12-09-2004, 07:35 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

My front bumper doesn't match either, and I think it's gotten worse over the months. It certainly looks a lot lighter than the rest of the car... I'm thinking of having it repainted.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:54 PM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plastic surfaces on the bumpers, body side moldings & mirrors don't match exactly due to flex additive added to the paint. All manufacturers have this issue, some more than others.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:43 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by Lore
My front bumper doesn't match either, and I think it's gotten worse over the months. It certainly looks a lot lighter than the rest of the car... I'm thinking of having it repainted.
And maybe I wont get it repainted --I looked at some photos I took from the spring and noticed the same discoloration. I wonder why I'm paying more attention to it now!
Old 12-09-2004, 08:48 PM
Instructor

trade in for new tl? wiat for mazda speed 6; get a g35; a bmw? just some suggestions :P.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by goonrider
I have contacted a Lemon Law lawyer reguarding the front bumper peeling and I have a solid case. I can receive a new TL or get my money back. Problem is... There isn't another car out there in the price range +/- $5k that I would want.

I love the car. It has clicks and squeaks that drive me nutts but I love the interior, the XM, the bluetooth, the power and everythign else...but damn the car is just not living up the the Acura standards I had hoped for.

I've owned 5 Honda/Acura vehicles and my 2000 Civic Si didn't have as many squeaks!

Looks like I'll try to get an 05 and start over...
You might not find a car with all of the bells and whistles, but I am sure you find a car that is much higher quality.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:13 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you should ask for a independent body shop to repaint the bumper and have Acura pay for it. It is clear the people painting the bumper now are not getting it done!.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:34 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, but if you keep painting on top of bad paint it will keep pealing, or if the surface was contaminated prior to paint the first time, putting new paint on top will not help as it was the first paint job that was the problem and it's adheasion to the plastic bumper.

You may ask to start with a new bumper, so you can rule out the first layer of paint still pealing, or contamination of the bumper surface before paint was applied.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:48 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
My 05 is only 2 weeks old w/1300 miles but so-far 0 issues. Your car is an early 04 I think. Peeling paint is unacceptable. Why not go with an 05 and perhaps a different color (sorry)? The WDP cars that I've seen do not match the paint very well IMHO. Every mfg might indeed have matching issues but Acura's matching issues and that color do not seem to be a good fit.

If the new one seems to be like the old one, sell it this spring and get something else. Value seems to be holding well. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:45 AM
7th Gear

I can accept the paint not matching a little but when I tell you that the paint was not matching I mean it was a totally different color!

I won't have to sell my car because the Lemon Law requires Acura to replace or refund my car.

My delima is... Is an 05 TL any different than an 04 when it comes to quality issues? Have they fixed the headliner issues?...center console squeaks...etc...

OR

Do I go out and buy an IS300 or G35?

The TL is such a nice car I think I am willing to take my chances and pick up another one. Thanks for everyones input.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:55 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I saw a grey G35 and the rear bumper paint was 2-3 shades darker than the body paint. Peeling paint issues I can understand but bumper paint matching is a bit much IMO.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:17 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluenote
Plastic surfaces on the bumpers, body side moldings & mirrors don't match exactly due to flex additive added to the paint. All manufacturers have this issue, some more than others.
That's true since i bought my 2005 Tl, i notice it and chek every car specially the light colurs car;

aLL THIS CARS HAVE PROBLEMS WITH PAINT MATCHING WITH PLASTIC PARTS

g35
bmw
mercedes class C

Do the same exercise and you'll be surprise. Now i my look is catch up by this problem. Like the butt prints
Old 12-10-2004, 03:19 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can accept the paint not matching a little but when I tell you that the paint was not matching I mean it was a totally different color!

I won't have to sell my car because the Lemon Law requires Acura to replace or refund my car.

My delima is... Is an 05 TL any different than an 04 when it comes to quality issues? Have they fixed the headliner issues?...center console squeaks...etc...

OR

The TL is such a nice car I think I am willing to take my chances and pick up another one. Thanks for everyones input.
My 2005 has 6000 miles and no rattles, before i had a 2003 Accord coup and the rattlessss appeared since the first 200 miles and they didn't stop until i traded it.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:35 PM
Racer

Man, I'm glad I didn't buy white. I was seriously thinking about that instead of black.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:39 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

I was talking about taking an 05 TL, if no better, sell that and get someting else.

Many 05's including mine problem free so far but not many miles yet.

OR

By all means, take a nice long test drive before signing doc no matter what you decide on.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:46 PM
I'm Baaack!

I would say get yours replaced with an '05 TL. I have a later '04 (vin 66xxx) with no bumps, squeaks, grinds, pops or burps. I would bet you'll have better luck with your '05. (here's hoping)