Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 TL vs 05 maxima(6th Gen)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 12:27 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 TL vs 05 maxima(6th Gen)

So this is the second time i have had this situation but i never raced my buddy because he his moms car broke down so he had to go back to his pickup.
but anyway the scenario has now changed a little
my setup is
base 04 tl
-UR pulley
-CAI
-ATLP HFC
-ATLP V2 J-pipe

his maxima is a 05 Base as well but bone stock

We both have auto trannys

I went to the track for my first time about 5 months back when my car was bone stock and was running high 15s
which is like a second or two slower then it should have been

i did many things wrong though because my tires were off balance, my traction control was on, i didnt use tiptronic, and i was using 7-11 gas. and i was nervous as hell... fail yes i know haha
well anyways how do you all think i will fare?
we will be doing it this weekend for 20$ becaue this guy thinks my tl is slow as a turtle and his maxima is the shit

also jw does his maxima have the 350z engine in it?

and i know to use shell v power when i am to do this
Old 02-04-2010, 02:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
In all honesty, although it may be biased, I truly, honestly and sincerely feel that Chevron (92 octane) yields a better bump in performance; I know, I know...probably just in my head, but I SWEAR! Just try it... lol

Anyways, as for your 'scenario' with your friends Maxima...eh
Not sure how well the Autos hold their ground, but their counter part 6MT brothers kill our cars, in every which way. I think ib18cl (is that his username?) went up again a bone stock 6MT Max back in the day and got pulled on each time. From what I remember, I think we had a match against one of the Maxima guys that lingers around our forums and another one our TL-S guys. Said the Max pulled on him each time as well. Not sure what mods ib18cl had...but I want to say that he almost fully bolted on.

Had the chance to drive a loaner 08 TL last week, while my car was in the shop getting a new front axle; that things incredibly slow. I couldn't BELIEVE the difference in my car (fully bolted on) and the stock 08. Crazy...! I think I'm even (maybe a tad slower) than the 09 fwd TL (sadly). Not sure though - measuring my how well I do against jl03cl. The fwd 09 TL, he pulled on me (not sure what gear he was in though). In my TL, we're even - unfortunately, only when he takes off in 3rd and I take off in 2nd LOL. Dunno how hard he'll pull when he's in 2nd, along side me.

Outcome? Assuming the same power loss between the 6MT and Auto Max...I'd say driver's race; but I'm leaning towards the Max. Do yourself a favor, give due where it's needed - save your 20 bucks. See what happens after . It's better than handing over $20 bucks (likely). Sorry man!!! . If you get desperate, just slash his tires prior, or even better...slam into him. Make sure you get the edge though - hooray for $20! lol
Old 02-04-2010, 08:18 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 842 Likes on 524 Posts
Theoretically, it should be a close race, and with your mods, I think you should have the advantage. But since you ran high 15's before........well..just make sure nothing is wrong with your car this time...relax....and put in some good fuel...lol. Just do it for shxt and giggles.

Even if you lose, you shouldn't lose by much (unless you screw up badly....). And since he's calling your car a turtle, and you won't lose by much, when you lose, you can say his car is barely faster than a turtle
Old 02-04-2010, 09:43 AM
eat, sleep, NGC

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by iforyou
And since he's calling your car a turtle, and you won't lose by much, when you lose, you can say his car is barely faster than a turtle
Old 02-04-2010, 09:54 AM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
If the 05 maxima is a SE with the 5AT then it would be a great drivers race since you have all the mods. I have seen mid 14's for a 6th gen Maxima 5AT. Now the SL has the 4AT and your TL with your mods should pull out the victory. I saw a 4AT SL 3.5L Maxima lose to a 5spd 5th gen 3.0L 00-01 Maxima haha!
Old 02-04-2010, 10:58 AM
philly flickin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you ever raced an 03 TL-S? I raced a stock 6th gen maxima 5AT when my TL-S was stock and we were right beside eachother the whole way. Hopefully that helps you out!! Your mods should help you pull out the victory. Make sure if you are racing from a dig, have traction control off and put ur foot on the brake and have ur foot on the gas so you launch at 1200RPM and then you just make sure you shift gears right before the redline. Also put the highest octane available in ur area.

Originally Posted by erick3
In all honesty, although it may be biased, I truly, honestly and sincerely feel that Chevron (92 octane) yields a better bump in performance; I know, I know...probably just in my head, but I SWEAR! Just try it... lol
Lol its not just you, we have shell that sells v-power and sunoco that sells ultra 94 here in canada. All my car has ever seen is 94 and once I had to put v-power in from shell and the car ran different. I could tell the difference for suree!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:17 AM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Originally Posted by jaMezBOI
Have you ever raced an 03 TL-S? I raced a stock 6th gen maxima 5AT when my TL-S was stock and we were right beside eachother the whole way. Hopefully that helps you out!! Your mods should help you pull out the victory. Make sure if you are racing from a dig, have traction control off and put ur foot on the brake and have ur foot on the gas so you launch at 1200RPM and then you just make sure you shift gears right before the redline. Also put the highest octane available in ur area.
!
Do not brake torque like you suggest. With the 04-08 TL it bogs off the line with a brake torque. Just floor it from a stop. The torque converter doesn't respond well to load.

BTW the 03 TL-S is faster than a bone stock 04-08 TL.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Instructor

whats a dig?
if i keep have the gas pedal and break padle down together it automatically starts in second gear.
before i couldnt get any spin but now i have crazy spinouts..

hes a noob hes only been driving his maxima for like 3 weeks. but yeah i migght have avideo and will let you know! thanks for the support everyone
Old 02-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I say bet him $500.00 dollars!

1st: go spend $500.00 on a used NoZ setup.(100-25shot)

2nd: beat him and get ur $500.00 back!
Just like getting free NoZ... lol
Old 02-04-2010, 03:39 PM
J35 _ 5 Speed A/T

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by johnjohn1206
whats a dig?
DIG = racing from a dead stop.

** Take out some weight from your car for a lil bit more advantage:

Put in as little gas in your tank as possible

Remove the spare tire and any junk you got in the trunk

..if you get froggy, take out the rear seats as well

maybe even drop the tire pressure some up front if you got too much wheel spin?

Good Luck!!
Old 02-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Racer

Put your car in nuetral, then push ur foot brake down to the floor. Then put it in 1st while ur pushing the brake down and give it some gas while still pushing down the foot brake! Then release the brakes and you will launch like you have never launched before! Trans brake baby! Try this a few times until you get it down good!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
for the sake of the op, ^ he's kidding lol
Old 02-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Instructor

yeah isnt that called break torqueing or something idk
sounds retarded though
stil havent had the chance to race that cocky bastard.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:29 PM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
You should take him....the max and TL are very close acceleration wise with similar trannys. Your mods should put you over the top...
Old 02-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
yeah isnt that called break torqueing or something idk
sounds retarded though
stil havent had the chance to race that cocky bastard.
Actually it is called transbrake -

A transbrake is a device which allows a car to remain stationary even when the motor is under power. It works by placing the transmission in 1st gear and Reverse at the same time. Since both gears have the same ratio, but it opposite directions, the car cannot move. The transbrake can be released with a button, which releases the Reverse gear. Although they make for powerful launches, transbrakes can be hard on transmissions.

for more drag racing terms:
http://www.staginglight.com/guide/defns.html

Ruf
Old 02-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RUF87
Actually it is called transbrake -

A transbrake is a device which allows a car to remain stationary even when the motor is under power. It works by placing the transmission in 1st gear and Reverse at the same time. Since both gears have the same ratio, but it opposite directions, the car cannot move. The transbrake can be released with a button, which releases the Reverse gear. Although they make for powerful launches, transbrakes can be hard on transmissions.

for more drag racing terms:
http://www.staginglight.com/guide/defns.html

Ruf
Or... you can press the brake down to the floor as hard as you can and hold it down. Then place the car in Neutral and Rev it for about 3 or 4 seconds.! You will then feel the brake sink in about another half inch to 1 inch as you Rev the engine a few times.Remember to release the gas (dont take your foot off the brake.) Then slide the shifter into 1st gear while you are still pressing the brake down and push the gas peddle down... AGAIN, this does work but you will need to decide how much gas is to much gas...

disclaimer: all steps mentioned above are to be tried at your own risk and I can not be held accountable if this causes any bodily injury or damage to you, your car, someone else, someone elses car,pets,livestock,little red headed brats crossing the street,landscape,or buildings. hehe

p.s. This used to burn the shiat outa my clutch..

Last edited by FastLS6speed; 02-10-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:50 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SatinSilverAV6
If the 05 maxima is a SE with the 5AT then it would be a great drivers race since you have all the mods. I have seen mid 14's for a 6th gen Maxima 5AT. Now the SL has the 4AT and your TL with your mods should pull out the victory. I saw a 4AT SL 3.5L Maxima lose to a 5spd 5th gen 3.0L 00-01 Maxima haha!
Here is the breakdown of Maxima auto's since th e3.5 appeared in 02.

02-03 SE/GLE/GXE 4spd auto--light, fastest of the autos until the 09 appeared and thats debatable.

early 04 Maxima SE and SL both had 4spd auto's---slowest of the 3.5's due to extra few hundred pounds.

late 04-06 SE/SL--- Had 5spd auto quicker than earlier 04's, slower than 02/03's. Problematic tranny.

07-08 SE/SL----Cvt tranny, good down low to mid, sucks up top and that drone is annoying.

09 S/SV/SV Sport-----Improved CVT tranny, good mid to top end, sorta sluggish of the line. Still has that horrible drone.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:04 PM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Originally Posted by Monte TLS,MAX
Here is the breakdown of Maxima auto's since th e3.5 appeared in 02.

02-03 SE/GLE/GXE 4spd auto--light, fastest of the autos until the 09 appeared and thats debatable.

early 04 Maxima SE and SL both had 4spd auto's---slowest of the 3.5's due to extra few hundred pounds.

late 04-06 SE/SL--- Had 5spd auto quicker than earlier 04's, slower than 02/03's. Problematic tranny.

07-08 SE/SL----Cvt tranny, good down low to mid, sucks up top and that drone is annoying.

09 S/SV/SV Sport-----Improved CVT tranny, good mid to top end, sorta sluggish of the line. Still has that horrible drone.
I have seen an 04-06 maxima SE 5AT run 14.4x@97+MPH stock on Maxima. o r g. I think they are a touch quicker than the 02-03 Maxima 4AT. Your 14.6@96MPH is about the fastest auto 5.5 gen I have seen for stock(especially your trap speed). I have also seen a stock 7th gen Maxima CVT run 14.1@97xxMPH.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:49 PM

I have seen an 04-06 maxima SE 5AT run 14.4x@97+MPH stock on Maxima. o r g. I think they are a touch quicker than the 02-03 Maxima 4AT. Your 14.6@96MPH is about the fastest auto 5.5 gen I have seen for stock(especially your trap speed). I have also seen a stock 7th gen Maxima CVT run 14.1@97xxMPH.
Its a few guys actually quicker than me stock with 5.5 gen auto's, those are fast times for 6th gen autos stock as they tend to be down slower times than 5.5 gen auto's in general. At my track they tend to go down to us stock, but who knows. I wonder who that was that ran that with that 04-06 as I know most of the 5th to 7th gen guys over there. CVT's just bore me, they just lack up top so much. Have you driven a CVT Max!
Old 02-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Its a few guys actually quicker than me stock with 5.5 gen auto's, those are fast times for 6th gen autos stock as they tend to be down slower times than 5.5 gen auto's in general. At my track they tend to go down to us stock, but who knows. I wonder who that was that ran that with that 04-06 as I know most of the 5th to 7th gen guys over there. CVT's just bore me, they just lack up top so much. Have you driven a CVT Max!
My son has driven his boss' 09 Maxima on several occassions. According to him, it didn't feel particularly quick when it was brand new. But when it was "broken in" (after several thousand miles), he claims that it feels almost as quick/fast as his car (05 Altima 3.5SE 5MT which -- just to recap -- has run as quick as 14.1 sec and trapped as high as 100mph, and probably runs upper 13s now.).

Needless to say, I'm fairly impressed. That said ; I'm not too big on CVTs as well.

Back on topic, there have been a couple of freak 6G Maximas that have run as quick as lower 14s even when saddled with an AT. And IIRC, one was a rental car.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by F23A4
My son has driven his boss' 09 Maxima on several occassions. According to him, it didn't feel particularly quick when it was brand new. But when it was "broken in" (after several thousand miles), he claims that it feels almost as quick/fast as his car (05 Altima 3.5SE 5MT which -- just to recap -- has run as quick as 14.1 sec and trapped as high as 100mph, and probably runs upper 13s now.).

Needless to say, I'm fairly impressed. That said ; I'm not too big on CVTs as well.

Back on topic, there have been a couple of freak 6G Maximas that have run as quick as lower 14s even when saddled with an AT. And IIRC, one was a rental car.
Gotcha, keyword is "FREAK" although hehe.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:51 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
With your mods you should be able to take him.

Your stats without mods:
270 HP
238 lb-FT Torque
Curb Weight = 3,585 lbs

2005 Maxima SE
265 HP
255 lb-Ft torque
Curb Weight = 3,467

Even the 2003 Maxima with 255 hp was faster than the 6th Gen Maxma.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So this is the second time i have had this situation but i never raced my buddy because he his moms car broke down so he had to go back to his pickup.
but anyway the scenario has now changed a little
my setup is
base 04 tl
-UR pulley
-CAI
-ATLP HFC
-ATLP V2 J-pipe

his maxima is a 05 Base as well but bone stock

We both have auto trannys

I went to the track for my first time about 5 months back when my car was bone stock and was running high 15s
which is like a second or two slower then it should have been

i did many things wrong though because my tires were off balance, my traction control was on, i didnt use tiptronic, and i was using 7-11 gas. and i was nervous as hell... fail yes i know haha
well anyways how do you all think i will fare?
we will be doing it this weekend for 20$ becaue this guy thinks my tl is slow as a turtle and his maxima is the shit

also jw does his maxima have the 350z engine in it?

and i know to use shell v power when i am to do this
i'd put money on the tl
im pretty much stock and i raced a 6th gen max
it got me by half a car
with your mods i'd think you'd be able to take it
Old 02-15-2010, 05:22 PM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

I do like the 5.5 gen much better than the 6th gen. I would love to pick up a 6MT 02-03 SE HLSD!

I forgot the guys name on max. o r g but I will do some research and see if I can find it for you. There were a couple of 6th gen autos running low-mid 14's stock but true that it isn't the normal for that car. Most are in the high 14's and low 15's just like the 5.5 Gen Auto. The better drivers that can get down to a 2.1 60ft should easily get a mid to high 14 out of both gens in perfect conditions. IMO
Old 02-16-2010, 06:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
I do like the 5.5 gen much better than the 6th gen. I would love to pick up a 6MT 02-03 SE HLSD!

I forgot the guys name on max. o r g but I will do some research and see if I can find it for you. There were a couple of 6th gen autos running low-mid 14's stock but true that it isn't the normal for that car. Most are in the high 14's and low 15's just like the 5.5 Gen Auto. The better drivers that can get down to a 2.1 60ft should easily get a mid to high 14 out of both gens in perfect conditions. IMO
I did manage to get my 60' down to 2.169 sec in my old 02 SE 4AT.....that's probably the only area of drag racing where I still have my son beat.

That said, I'm mulling over a 6MT as we 'speak', currently for sale at the same dealership where my son picked up his Alti. The only caveat being highishmileage (which I'll use as leverage to get the price down further) and the 6MT, where my wife really does not like driving a manual transmission (although she's fairly good at it).
Old 02-16-2010, 12:04 PM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Originally Posted by F23A4
I did manage to get my 60' down to 2.169 sec in my old 02 SE 4AT.....that's probably the only area of drag racing where I still have my son beat.

That said, I'm mulling over a 6MT as we 'speak', currently for sale at the same dealership where my son picked up his Alti. The only caveat being highishmileage (which I'll use as leverage to get the price down further) and the 6MT, where my wife really does not like driving a manual transmission (although she's fairly good at it).
that is a great 60ft.

Would love to see you pick up a 6MT SE. Maybe the more your wife drives the 6MT the more she will appreciate the immediate torque in just about every gear!