Sponsored by:

04 TL vs. 04 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 02:53 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 TL vs. 04 Maxima

Hi all,
What does everyone think about the 04 maxima vs the 04 TL. It seems like the cars are comparable besides the brand name.

Here are some options that the TL doesn't have:

Entry/Exit Feature
unlocking the doors signals the driver's seat to pull out to welcome you. Then the driver's seat steps aside the same way when it's time to get out

Heated Steering Wheel, Seats and outside mirrors

PPower rear sunshade with front and rear controls

Power folding outside mirrors with memory function

power tilt and power telescoping steering column with memory function

Digital compass in rearview mirror

Speed-sensitive audio volume

Rear windows with one-touch auto-up/down and anti-pinch feature

Rear 12-volt power outlet

cornering lights for changing lanes

here are the features similar to the TL:

3.5L V6 w/265 hp

Integrated Center Display
The data bank includes average speed, average fuel consumption, miles to empty, driving time, and even the outside temperature, and this is displayed on the LCD screen

Dual Zone Auto Temp. Control

8 speaker stereo system including 8in sub

Auto-dimming Rearview Mirror w/ homelink

sportshift

drive memory seats

dvd nav w/ 3d birdseye view

HID bi-xenon
Old 11-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
The TL has heated seats, mirrors STANDARD.

But you are correct overall.

The Maxima does have a few options that are not available on any Honda product.

The TL though, IMO looks far better (looks are subjective)

The TL has a far better interior (both fit/finish and materials)

The TL has virtually no torque steer, the Maxima has tons of it. I feel like I'm in a stagecoach holding onto the reins of the horses, holding on for dear life.

To me, the Maxima is about brute power, it seems less refined in terms of driving, though again, it offers many things that Acuras and Hondas simply don't have.
Old 11-09-2003, 03:03 PM
Instructor

if only honda/acura added a few extra features such as the nissan and the decision would be a lot easier.
Old 11-09-2003, 03:23 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
I owned a '97 Maxima before I bought my current '04 TL. I wanted to buy another Maxima since the '97 was SO damn reliable. However, the car looks and feels like a boat to me. I floored the gas pedal in the Max and the car wanted to take of in 8 different directions at once (torque steer). The interior had a certain cheapness feel to it. The felty cloth doors seemed odd. The dash didn't seem to go with the rest of the car as well. I liked the center console however. The exterior styling to me was all TL. I didn't like previous generation TL's for the same reason I don't really care for the Maxima's exterior : too bland or goofy. Especially with that buck tooth grill.
Old 11-09-2003, 03:39 PM
Intermediate

Agree about the quality - I was at a dealership selling my 99' Honda Accord Coupe in preparation to pick-up my '04 TL on Tuesday. While there I decided to check out the '04 Maxima - I have always been an admirer of the Maxima .... however, I was really disappointed. The interior, from the dash equippage to the
doors, was quite inferior in quality - the doors had a noticable 'tin' sound when closing and the dash design and quality was substantially below Acura/Honda. I started two different Maxima's and upon pressing the gas-pedal a few times, I was greeted with a non-energetic rev with a noticable vibration that sounded like a vibration against a heat-shield - sad thing was that the sam behavior was noticed on two separate vehicles.

All said and done, after leaving the dealership, I was even more satisfid about the decision to pursue a TL instead of the Maxima.
A lil' more money, but worth it.
Old 11-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
The new Maxima is a MEDIOCRE car in my book. I drove one 6 speed and a G35 M6 and it was night and day. Cheapness everywhere inside and this thing was big, not agile.

In a comparo in the Automobile magazine, it was ranked dead last on 14 cars, the TSX being 1st.

And leasing monthly, it was about the same as the G35! The Infiniti felt like a 40000$CAD car, not the Maxima. Tasteless and so ugly...

The 2004TL is at the other end of the spectrum.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:08 PM
Racer

Is this a driver's or an accessory appreciator's forum. For God's sake, drive the damn Maxima; it's an ill handling, understeering, torque steering, noisy turd.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Smile

Originally posted by partagas
Is this a driver's or an accessory appreciator's forum. For God's sake, drive the damn Maxima; it's an ill handling, understeering, torque steering, noisy turd.
Yeah, what he said!
Old 11-09-2003, 04:40 PM
Racer

The maxima does have understeer and torque steer as well. It's interior is cheaper. The middle cloumn is too much silver looks like the star ship enterprise. The sunroof is $900 and it doesn't have the stability controls like TL nor the Brembos (TL 6MT) for braking. The VTEC engine in the TL is better quality then the Nissan engine. 04' Maxima has rattle problems too per my friend that has one. Personally I don't like the style of the Maxima it seems like its too "lemon" shaped and looks way too much like an Altima. However I did consider it before I ordered the 6MT TL. I'm still waiting for my 6MT TL since I put the deposit down in August. I feel the TL is worth the wait and the price is fair and reasonable.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:03 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i would get the TL...i have the 02 Maxima GLE and it's a great car, but that smoothness is just not there...ya maxima seems as if it has lots of power, but trust me, the 04 TL IS GREAT TOO...as far as reliablity is concerned, i would go with the TL...i've had a few problems on my maxima in the first year that i bought it...it's a great car, i am glad i have both in my house but i would choose TL over the maxima...i mean there are other things to look at and i can go in more detail between the maxima and the TL but i drove both of them today and i really enjoyed the TL more...it's more comforting...and the maxima does not look as good as the TL either...imo...get the TL !!!!!
Old 11-09-2003, 10:33 PM
Racer

I couldn't buy a car if I wasn't sure about its looks. The maxima's styling doesn't impress me at all. Instead of saying, "wow, check out the lines on that car..." I say, " Hey that's the new Maxima..." And usually get an indifferent response.

So Nissan can have its stupid compass in its mirror, I'll take one TL with 6 gears and Navigation please.....

Chad
Old 11-09-2003, 11:19 PM
Intermediate

The maxima is nothing more than a overpriced dodge
Old 11-09-2003, 11:32 PM
Race Director

The new maximas aren't even close to the quality and smoothness and fun as the old maxima's..

the new ones drive like a boat
Old 11-09-2003, 11:39 PM
The Acura Tranny Killer

When i test drove the 04 Maxima .. i nearly planted the POS in a wall when i tried to accelerate lively onto the freeway here in LA .. MAN that thing goes EVERYWHERE _except_ for where you want it to go (read: FORWARD).. THAT was the killer for me right there.. followed by a lousy interior, noisy engine, a rattling mid console, etc .. a rattling mid console on a car with 24 miles on it is unacceptable!

Tracer
Old 11-09-2003, 11:59 PM
Comptech Freak

the new max looks ugly...period.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:15 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have to agree with all on the Maxima, I also looked at it before getting the TL, comming from a 96 maxima that was fun to drive and ultra reliable, I could not resist.

But if I did get it, I would have to replace that nasty gril, and figure something to do with that fake lower plastic grill, the 3/4 view was not bad. But then go inside, the thing is wierd and painted plastic silver console is just plain cheap.

Getting on the highway, the car almost pulled itself into a ditch with spirited acceleration.

The 96 maxima SE I had may have been a little skimpy in the sound deadening materials, and carpet plush, but, it had a great looking dash, fun to drive, quick (0-60 in the MT was 6.6 per R&T) and NO TORQUE STEER!

The 96 maxima has the new TL beat in regards to engine smoothness hands down (the TL is a little rough for me!)
Old 11-10-2003, 03:27 AM
Instructor

Yes, the Maxima offers some stuff that is normally reserved for flagship cars (heated steering wheel, rear window power sunshade, etc.).

But ask yourself: Do you really want a car that looks like a Russian attempt to design a modern Lada? It's a fcuking nightmare, for crissake! Then there's the equally nightmarish (and cheap) interior design and the out-of-control torque steer.

C'mon, it's an EASY decision, isn't it...?
Old 11-10-2003, 07:19 AM
Comptech Freak

Originally posted by Gundar
Yes, the Maxima offers some stuff that is normally reserved for flagship cars (heated steering wheel, rear window power sunshade, etc.).

But ask yourself: Do you really want a car that looks like a Russian attempt to design a modern Lada? It's a fcuking nightmare, for crissake! Then there's the equally nightmarish (and cheap) interior design and the out-of-control torque steer.

C'mon, it's an EASY decision, isn't it...?
i agree...the cheap plastic is annoying, even worse than a Buick~
Old 11-10-2003, 07:43 AM
Intermediate

I haven't test driven an '04 TL yet, but is it true that is doesn't have the "entry/exit" feature? That's a bummer if not.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:19 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by samkws
the new max looks ugly...period.
:lol2:
Old 11-10-2003, 12:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In medieval times suggesting this comparison would would have earned you a trip to the stake for some live broiling. If the G barely compares the Maxima simply isn't in the running. The only oustanding performing maxima was in the late 80's after which it went to solid rear axle. After that point it was a solid if unexceptional car.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Another topic that has been discussed ad nauseum. There's no comparison really save that they are both FWDs. Other than that, Nissan should hide it's head in shame 'cause the new Maxima is no improvement over the old one if that is the intention. It is an overstyled Altima with a cheap and confusing interior, ala G35.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:09 PM
1st Gear

You wont go wrong at all with the 04 TL, plus the 5.1 dvd-audio, hands free calling, and a sporty/luxury interior you cant get in the maxima and last but not least "its a fun car to drive"!!
Old 11-10-2003, 07:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
2004 Maxima? You might as well buy a mid-late 90's Max, they're a much better car. I'm a Maxima admirer (though never an owner) and am upset about the way the new Maxima turned out. It's ugly, drives like a boat, is cheap, and has torque steer. The previous two model incarnations were much better looking and fun to drive. Nissan really f-ed up this car.

Besides, the TL is simply on another planet compared to the Max--the Max is not a luxury car.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:13 PM
vtec, yo. lol

Originally posted by Nicki
The VTEC engine in the TL is better quality then the Nissan engine.
Proof? How did you come up with this conclusion? oh...I see you're a newbie never mind then

I would also get the 2004 TL over the 2004 Maxima but I don't get where all of you are saying the 04 Max is ugly, it really grew on me. Now the 2004 TL is def ugly on the outside with those tsx looking headlights but the itnerior is to die for.

Also, g35 vs. 04 Max has been discussed many times so if you want to know thre reasons why they shouldnt be compared just go to the maxima.org forums and click on 6th gen if you are interested

TL will be more pricier and Acura dealers won't really budge on their prices as Nissan dealers do -- thats why we get our cars way under msrp
Old 11-12-2003, 12:32 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Maxima02
Proof? How did you come up with this conclusion? oh...I see you're a newbie never mind then

I would also get the 2004 TL over the 2004 Maxima but I don't get where all of you are saying the 04 Max is ugly, it really grew on me. Now the 2004 TL is def ugly on the outside with those tsx looking headlights but the itnerior is to die for.

Also, g35 vs. 04 Max has been discussed many times so if you want to know thre reasons why they shouldnt be compared just go to the maxima.org forums and click on 6th gen if you are interested

TL will be more pricier and Acura dealers won't really budge on their prices as Nissan dealers do -- thats why we get our cars way under msrp
Also, Acura won't lease in NY, so that is also a problem for those of us here. Infiniti/Nissan still leases.