Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 TL with Rear Entertainment System

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 11:08 AM
JDM FREAK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 TL with Rear Entertainment System

Well, you might have read my threads back in November of 2003, about installing rear entertainment system in a 04 TL.
Finally, its on, i have two 7 inch screens in the head rest, and the picture quality is PERFECT, in fact it matches my home TV picture quality.
The DVD player is placed in DASH right underneath the radio, and it replaced my top tray (storage compartment), and looking at it, you think its stock (factory).
I got two wireless head set with the TV, which enables me to listen to my music wihle my passengers watch movies in the rear and in addition to that i got a FM modulator that is hooked up to my radio, so i can play in surround sound.
Underneath the driver seat is a power inverter and a game station hook up (X-box, playstation ...), and whats even better is that the monitors have two different setups, so i can watch a movie in one, and play x-box in the other.
I'll attach pictures later, and hope for comments.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:12 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't tease us with this stuff without pics. come one already.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:13 AM
Renaissance Man

this thread is useless without pics
Old 05-13-2004, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Oh wait...I'm trying to visualize it. Hmmm..... nope not gonna happen. PICS!!!!!!!
Old 05-13-2004, 11:54 AM
Pro

pics?
Old 05-13-2004, 11:58 AM
You touch my tra la la...

Don't really care until I see some pics and some numbers
Old 05-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Team Nighthawk President

I think we should ban people from posting any mods like that without posting pics AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-13-2004, 12:53 PM
JDM FREAK

Hold your horses poeple, i am on duty, and dont have my digital cam on me, i'll do later when i go home
Old 05-13-2004, 12:59 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Moderator, please delete this post due to it's highly suspenseful nature

Looking forward to seeing the pics.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:26 PM
Intermediate

Awesome Qatar, I've been doing some research on this the past few weeks. I didn't know if that compartment was wide enough to fit a dvd player, but I guess it fit for you. I'd really like to put a small flip out monitor in there, either 5.5" or 6". Did you do this install yourself? Which Dvd player do you have.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:23 PM
the Budman

Red face Just the facts, ma'am ...

Originally Posted by Qatar
Well, you might have read my threads back in November of 2003, about installing rear entertainment system in a 04 TL.
Finally, its on, i have two 7 inch screens in the head rest, and the picture quality is PERFECT, in fact it matches my home TV picture quality.
The DVD player is placed in DASH right underneath the radio, and it replaced my top tray (storage compartment), and looking at it, you think its stock (factory).
I got two wireless head set with the TV, which enables me to listen to my music wihle my passengers watch movies in the rear and in addition to that i got a FM modulator that is hooked up to my radio, so i can play in surround sound.
Underneath the driver seat is a power inverter and a game station hook up (X-box, playstation ...), and whats even better is that the monitors have two different setups, so i can watch a movie in one, and play x-box in the other.
I'll attach pictures later, and hope for comments.
Can you post the specifics ... makes, models for the DVD player, LCDs, FM modulator, power inverter.... did you install yourself? How much did it cost you? Of course, the pictures may help!

Sorry, did not see your November post if this info was there...
Old 05-13-2004, 02:43 PM
Team Anth. Audio Engineer

I'd like to know if you installed the LCDs into the headrests or bought ones that attach another way. Also, I'd like to know where you plan to mount the PS2. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:03 PM
Advanced

Old 05-13-2004, 03:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was going to go that route but was told that the stock headrests were inclined too far forward to do an acceptable install.....I ended up doing a ceiling-mounted 9.5" screen with it's own built-in DVD player:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287218527

....worked out very well and also liked the fact that when not in use, it folds away to prevent possible theft.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:52 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Looks good...

Hey that looks really nice, I was looking into getting one of those put in when we get our TL...to occupy the little one on long distance trips. How much was that and where did you get that installed. I'm kinda leaning towards the portable DVD players that hook onto the headrest so we can switch them b/w cars. Let me know...
Old 05-13-2004, 05:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PetesTL
I was going to go that route but was told that the stock headrests were inclined too far forward to do an acceptable install.....I ended up doing a ceiling-mounted 9.5" screen with it's own built-in DVD player:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287218527

....worked out very well and also liked the fact that when not in use, it folds away to prevent possible theft.
that looks great, but does it affect your view in the rear view mirror when open?
Old 05-13-2004, 05:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Qatar, it's been a while not seeing you on this forum. Hope we could see pictures ASAP.

Please list all the model info and price if possible. This would be the great help for ppl.

BTW, you didn't modify your Navi LCD into Movie or Rear-view camera, right?
Old 05-13-2004, 05:43 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

I'm in the process of installing this, but am having trouble locating the ceiling mount:

http://www.realdoll.com

Should I go trunk mount? Might be better in the rear.

BJ
Old 05-13-2004, 05:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by boltjames
I'm in the process of installing this, but am having trouble locating the ceiling mount:

http://www.realdoll.com

Should I go trunk mount? Might be better in the rear.

BJ
ceiling mount? are you that flexible?
Old 05-13-2004, 06:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sepatel
Hey that looks really nice, I was looking into getting one of those put in when we get our TL...to occupy the little one on long distance trips. How much was that and where did you get that installed. I'm kinda leaning towards the portable DVD players that hook onto the headrest so we can switch them b/w cars. Let me know...

The total cost with install (which took 9 hours BTW) was about $1600. The place was ABT electronics in Glenview, IL.---they do outstanding work (they installed custom stereos and videos for many Chicago Bears/Bulls players in the area). When the screen is down, it does obstruct the view out the back but only in the center portion--not too bad. (When the screen is up, you don't even know that it's there).
Old 05-13-2004, 07:57 PM
the Budman

Boltjames -

Let's see... three real dolls at 6K a piece, hmmm... pretty expensive mod! Be interesting to trade your TL in then! Also, does that qualify you to drive in the HOV lanes or will the car get ever out of park?
Old 05-13-2004, 08:17 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Might be better in the rear.
BJ
I'll just take your word on that one. And you can take it however you want
Old 05-13-2004, 08:40 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by budman
Boltjames -

Let's see... three real dolls at 6K a piece, hmmm... pretty expensive mod! Be interesting to trade your TL in then! Also, does that qualify you to drive in the HOV lanes or will the car get ever out of park?
I'm putting each doll in her own seat and I'm going to go cruisin' where the rice boys go and just watch 'em drool.

Best of all, I don't need to play "Tipsy" or "Hotel" on XM-20 to get 'em all ready fo me.

BJ
Old 05-13-2004, 09:23 PM
Instructor

Best of all, I don't need to play "Tipsy" or "Hotel" on XM-20 to get 'em all ready fo me.

BJ
Dude...XM-20 is my favorite station

although i'm 17 so that could be why
Old 05-14-2004, 01:23 AM
JDM FREAK

I'm so sorry guys for the long wait, my damn computer caught a damn virus from no where.
anyhow, i tried to take clean pic's, but my digital cam was so complicated that i just went with the pic's that i took.
Here is a link
http://www.acurainspired.com/gallery...=1145&uuid=956
Hope its enough, and the total cost was around $2500 - 2700, i'm not sure cause i didnt pay much attention, i was happy and flying
Old 05-14-2004, 01:37 AM
JDM FREAK

I'm so sorry guys for the long wait, my damn computer caught a damn virus.
anyhow, i tried to take some clean pic's, but my digital cam was so complicated that i just gave up and went with whatever looked clean to me.
Here is a link
Hope the pic's are enough, and the total cost was around $2500 - 2700.
My head rests were replaced because of the way they are built, they are at an angle that will only make the flat screen stick out (more like the A-SPEC rims with yokohama tires).
My tray looks like its scratched, but its only a reflection of the gear top grip, i couldn't get around it.
I wish you guys were around to see how great the movie display quality is, but i couldnt get the camera to do that, but honestly the display is more than wonderful, and everyone who got to see and watch in the back commented on the display.
i'm not trying to exaggerate, but i'm just happy and satisfied with my ride. hope you all do
Old 05-14-2004, 05:33 AM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

anyhow, i tried to take some clean pic's, but my digital cam was so complicated that i just gave up and went with whatever looked clean to me.
Here is a link
My head rests were replaced because of the way they are built, they are at an angle that will only make the flat screen stick out (more like the A-SPEC rims with yokohama tires).
My tray looks like its scratched, but its only a reflection of the gear top grip, i couldn't get around it.
I wish you guys were around to see how great the movie display quality is, but i couldnt get the camera to do that, but honestly the display is more than wonderful, and everyone who got to see and watch in the back commented on the display.
i'm not trying to exaggerate, but i'm just happy and satisfied with my ride. hope you all do
nice dude. i wish i had some $$.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:34 AM
AM MT Navi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Really nice looking. I love the dvd player in the dash for easy access. For the price, just over $100, you really can't beat that.
http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/AVXMMDV2?ref=frog
It looks like it would be a great combo with the avelectronics unit. The only problem I see now is having to use the FM Modulator. Has anyone come up with a better solution to this yet?
Old 05-14-2004, 10:01 AM
Banned

its nice and everything... but those screens look ugly as hell.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:05 AM
100k miles club

Here is a link
looks good . can you display the movie on the navi screen or just the LCD in the head rest? also are the head rest the same color are the seats or maybe just the angle of the pics. where'd you get it done?
Old 05-14-2004, 10:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
you changed the headrests!? they dont match man...
Old 05-14-2004, 10:54 AM
Intermediate

I saw that the DVD player is 6.3" wide. It looks like its a pretty tight fit. Do you know if they had to shave the sides, or did it fit in there nicely?
Old 05-14-2004, 11:27 AM
JDM FREAK

Well, i didn't know that the DVD player was that cheap.
I just took my car to the shop, and i told the owner that i wanted a clean great quality product and the price don't matter, but never thought that its that cheap.
My invoice listed the DVD player for $320!!!
And the screens don't look ugly, you gotta see in person, not because its my car, but i've seen the screens before installation.
The headrest is the same color as the seat, or maybe a little lighter in color, but its Ebony and desiagned for the TL and like i said before, they are new headrest, so mine wasnt cut or shaved.
The work was done at CARTUNES in Sterling, VA
Old 05-14-2004, 11:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Nice job, Qatar! You're going to have some really happy passengers.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:38 PM
9th Gear

Qatar ! I really like the wheels you put on your TL. Can you provide us with the wheel name/model, what you paid, 17 or 18 inch ???

Thanks,

Jester
Old 05-14-2004, 12:39 PM
Intermediate

Oh wow, I work in Sterling, literally 1 mile away from Kartunes. I'll have to go in there and see what kind of options they'd give me. I wonder if they'd let me buy some equipment online or if they'd get pissed about that.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:12 PM
10th Gear

Those aftermarket headrest are fugly as hell!!!!!! Not only is the color different, but the shape of them doesn't even go with the nicely contoured, bolstered seats. The in dash dvd player is nice. You over payed though. You can get a dual screen ceiling mounted module that would look alot nicer. To each his own though. Too much of a compromise though for me. Those headrests are ridicoulously huge and bulky!
Old 05-14-2004, 02:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Nice job, Qatar! I agree with some comments about the headrest color and shape not matching the rest of the seats, but if you want headrest screens, aftermarket is the only way to go....maybe somebody will come out with better matching headrests. Anyways, I would do a much darker tint on the side and rear windows to prevent possible theft.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:04 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Qatar - Nice job. Looks like some pretty big screens for the rear seat passengers. I also don't like the "look" of the headrest themselves but the flat screens inside them are "off the hook". What are the multi-colored packets under your seat?
Old 05-14-2004, 03:36 PM
Intermediate

That's nice dude... I live in NoVA also and have a black TL also. I'm gonna chase you down if I ever see you on the road so u can show me your interior... LOL

Quick Reply: 04 TL with Rear Entertainment System