3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 TL owners...would you buy another TL if you only had 30-34k to spend?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 07:56 AM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
04 TL owners...would you buy another TL if you only had 30-34k to spend?

I recently had some bodywork done on my TL. I got a 2005 maxima se as a rental car.
I have to say the interior on the maxima is not even in the same league as the tl. I would put it below the tsx as well. The orange lighting and 50 buttons in the middle of the dash just looks like a dated mess. Driving this car has just made me appreciate my TL that much more. I also had a look at the G35 interior recently. Just doesnt do it for me, looks kind of plasticky and cheap in comparison to the tl.
After 1.5 years of owning my TL I just love it even more now. (Getting some toyo proxes 4 has made my love stronger !)
I have yet to find a car on he road that has the same impact on me exterior/interior/performance wise. I am waiting to see what the 06 brings...If there are soem good upgrades I would totally buy another one. This is the best car Ive ever owned by far.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
I recently had some bodywork done on my TL. I got a 2005 maxima se as a rental car.
I have to say the interior on the maxima is not even in the same league as the tl. I would put it below the tsx as well. The orange lighting and 50 buttons in the middle of the dash just looks like a dated mess. Driving this car has just made me appreciate my TL that much more. I also had a look at the G35 interior recently. Just doesnt do it for me, looks kind of plasticky and cheap in comparison to the tl.
After 1.5 years of owning my TL I just love it even more now. (Getting some toyo proxes 4 has made my love stronger !)
I have yet to find a car on he road that has the same impact on me exterior/interior/performance wise. I am waiting to see what the 06 brings...If there are soem good upgrades I would totally buy another one. This is the best car Ive ever owned by far.
coming from an 04 Maxima SE, with you. You also forgot to mention that the Maxima has this ugly carpet running along the doors and dash board. The Maxima has nice rims, but thats about it. It drives like a boat and it feels a lot heavier than it actually is. The G35 interior is a little bit better but still not up to par with the TL's.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
I agree it is very boat like. And its definitely longer than the tl...it barely fit in my garage.
The ONLY hing it has going for it is the low end torque and the sunroof in the backseat...pretty cool. So I am guessing you would buy another TL ?
Old 07-25-2005, 04:03 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would buy another TL without any reservations. I think it is the finest car I've ever owned. Believe me I've had plenty of cars.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:04 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
If someone took my TL and gave my $34k, would I get another TL? Yes...it's still the best looking car you can get for that price.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah looking... that's about it... I cannot say it was the finest car I ever had... I would say a toyota was the best. The TL has too many issues with it.

Looks are part of the car for sure.. but I prefer reliability and driveability more so. The handling of the car is most important. Some of the toys are nice and of course acura always loads up their cars. To those that never had a car like this, I can see where you are taken back by the feature packed offering the TL has. It does offer some refinements that many other cars do not offer for the price.

A 325 is a better car, but has less power. The ES330 is clearly superior to both, but you have to be happy with what that model does and does well. Same goes for the avalon which is a 6 second 0-60 performer.

The C class stands for cheap and even those can get pricey very quickly when optioned up.
The maxima.. well that's old school near luxury the 2g TL took that spot fairly quickly. Of couse you can always get a buick lacrosse lol...

The area I live in has one TL, several BMWs and MBs, lexus, a couple of caddys and one infiniti. Most people will say you cannot beat the value for the money... but those are the people that only have so much to spend for a car. If money is less of an issue they seem to go BMW.. maybe an image thing.... who knows.

Next time maybe a RX-8...
Old 07-25-2005, 04:52 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After reacquainting myself with the frustrating parts of owning a 'nice' car, I think I would buy the best Civic on the lot I could find, put some rims on it, and put the other 17 grand in the bank. Or get a SeaDoo Sportster to pull behind the Civic.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:03 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have only 3000 miles, but so far except for a few rattles (I have had them on every new car, I have ever had), I give it a glowing review and I would still put down the $32000 again! Still the best bang for buck in the class!
Old 07-25-2005, 05:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MichiganRich
After reacquainting myself with the frustrating parts of owning a 'nice' car, I think I would buy the best Civic on the lot I could find, put some rims on it, and put the other 17 grand in the bank. Or get a SeaDoo Sportster to pull behind the Civic.
I am inclined to agree. I love my TL, but cars just aren't worth the money. Worst investment one can ever make. Given the money to buy another TL, I would go out an buy something significantly cheaper, or at the very least more versatile than the TL. Why waste the money on luxury. Hell, I may even go so far as to say I will not buy new... but that is likely pushing it... don't get me wrong though, the TL is an amazing car...
Old 07-25-2005, 05:22 PM
Acuraized User

Another TL ....... nahhhh ..... I'd hafta go for the RL next.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:42 PM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Absolutely.

It's still a treat to drive after a year.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MichiganRich
LOL, you have a good point. I just had a rental Camry for about 4 days and 500 miles. I have to say, that is a decent car. Comfortable, soft riding, quiet, no rattles, and insane mileage, got 34+ (4 banger). Actually not bad power too. You can buy a new LE Camry like the one I rented for $15,600. That is a hell of a deal, and you get a 5yr/60k warranty to boot.

I'm kind thinking I should have bought that and then get a S2000 or 350z with the extra cash. The TL is nice, but you do have to question it sometimes.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:14 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Sure I would. But knowing what I know now, I'd wait for the '06 in the hopes they woke up from all the complaints about rattles and assorted cabin noises from plastic parts rubbing together and finally fixed all that crap on the assembly line.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:18 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Uh - 35k TL - 15k Camry ain't gonna leave you much towards a 350Z

Originally Posted by elsensei
LOL, you have a good point. I just had a rental Camry for about 4 days and 500 miles. I have to say, that is a decent car. Comfortable, soft riding, quiet, no rattles, and insane mileage, got 34+ (4 banger). Actually not bad power too. You can buy a new LE Camry like the one I rented for $15,600. That is a hell of a deal, and you get a 5yr/60k warranty to boot.

I'm kind thinking I should have bought that and then get a S2000 or 350z with the extra cash. The TL is nice, but you do have to question it sometimes.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:32 AM
Instructor

There is nothing out there that can come close to the superb overall package that the TL is for $30K. Definitely stands head and shoulders above all in the styling and design dept. Then with above average performance, reliability and handling it just rules! Yes, still would have picked a TL, even 2 years later. Balance is key here since you have to use it in the real world, commuting with it 90% of the time.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:49 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In that price range, nothing fit my needs, taste and expectations as much as the TL. If I was dead set for a coupe, the G35 Coupe would have been my selection, but I wanted a 4 door.

We have added an '05 Avalon LTD and and just 2 weeks ago, a new GS300 to our family car pool. Neither inspire me to drive the way the TL does. The GS is very nice, but not worth 15K more. The Avalon is also very nice, but more a touring sedan and it was 36K!

That said I believe Toyota has much better build / assembly quality than Honda, particularly on interior assembly. All 3 have some interior ticks and an occaisional rattle (yes, even the Lexus), but the Toyotas 'sound' more solid inside (or lack of sound). It seems like the plastics and materials they use make less noise when rubbing / vibrating / flexing next to each other. Also, the interior joints and seams are tighter on the Toyotas (no misaligned glove box doors!).

If Honda could accomplish interior assembly and build quality more like Toyota we'd be driving what Acura claims to be building.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:04 AM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Les C.

Ditto....
Old 07-26-2005, 10:00 AM
Banned

I might consider the new Avalon, but I doubt it would be as much fun to drive as my A-spec
Old 07-26-2005, 10:03 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey3c
yeah looking... that's about it... I cannot say it was the finest car I ever had... I would say a toyota was the best. The TL has too many issues with it.

Looks are part of the car for sure.. but I prefer reliability and driveability more so. The handling of the car is most important. Some of the toys are nice and of course acura always loads up their cars. To those that never had a car like this, I can see where you are taken back by the feature packed offering the TL has. It does offer some refinements that many other cars do not offer for the price.

A 325 is a better car, but has less power. The ES330 is clearly superior to both, but you have to be happy with what that model does and does well. Same goes for the avalon which is a 6 second 0-60 performer.

The C class stands for cheap and even those can get pricey very quickly when optioned up.
The maxima.. well that's old school near luxury the 2g TL took that spot fairly quickly. Of couse you can always get a buick lacrosse lol...

The area I live in has one TL, several BMWs and MBs, lexus, a couple of caddys and one infiniti. Most people will say you cannot beat the value for the money... but those are the people that only have so much to spend for a car. If money is less of an issue they seem to go BMW.. maybe an image thing.... who knows.

Next time maybe a RX-8...
I'll grant you the rattles are getting to be a bit much, but I've had no SERIOUS problems...therefore, I'd have to say it's pretty reliable...it always starts, it always goes when I hit the gas, it stops when I hit the brakes, etc. I don't even use/care about half of the features I have. I've upgraded the suspension and find it to be very fun to drive... that being said, the stock set up was ok - the average person would have no problems with it.

For me, the first thing I look at is looks...the new BMW's are ugly, as is the Maxima, ES330, and most other 4 door sport sedans (hell, most cars of any kind these days). I fully agree with you that the C class is crap...but I find it quite amusing that you speak about reliability and then mention a BMW...I've yet to know one person with a reliable one of those...and money is just as much an issue with those folks, as well...that's why they lease the Bimmer...

Personally, I plan on keeping this car a while...good chance I'll even keep it when I get a new car...yeah, I like it that much
Old 07-26-2005, 10:21 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,231 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Yeah I would buy again. A couple small rattles have come and gone and occasionally the temp flatlines, but other than that the car is a alot of fun to drive and very confortable.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:31 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Les C.
Let me know where you can get an RL for 34k and I'll be right there with you.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, I would buy another for the $$$. Wish it was as well made as the old Legends or even the TLs. Tire wear is not good but we'll see when I choose the rubber. Fun car to drive.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:54 PM
100k miles club

i'd definitely buy another TL

this time though, i'd get the 6MT and probably a lighter interior. also would make sure they replace the EL42s before i leave the lot instead of one of them blowing up on me
Old 07-27-2005, 05:19 AM
Drifting

I'd buy another TL in a flash. My '04TL only has 6300 miles, but so far I haven't had one single problem with the car except the buttprint issue which was fixed with '05 style covers. This is the biggest bang for the buck in the automobile industry.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:41 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SilverJ
I agree it is very boat like. And its definitely longer than the tl...it barely fit in my garage.
The ONLY hing it has going for it is the low end torque and the sunroof in the backseat...pretty cool. So I am guessing you would buy another TL ?
If you mean if I could do it all over again would I still go with the TL, then yesI definetely would.

If you mean I have another 30 - 34 K to spend on a new car while keeping my TL, then I will probably get a coupe, like a G35, or Mustang. (Stick shift of course)
Old 07-27-2005, 07:42 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by trevelle
Let me know where you can get an RL for 34k and I'll be right there with you.
My dad got a brand new RL for $36,000 out the door last year.............................It was an 04 though.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Burning Brakes

No question in my mind......I'd go for it again without a second thought. It's smooth, powerful, luxurious, sharp-looking, and I am hooked on the HFL. The only changes I'd make would be to allow the back seat to fold, maybe include the mirror turn signals.....and this time, I think I'd spring for the nav.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:17 AM
Banned

I had an '04 TL. That's it to the left. It was in the shop for over four months so I had plenty of time to think about what kind of car I would get next. I considered everything on the market and for the money and my requirements I couldn't find anything I wanted more. So when they finally finished with my car, I picked it up and drove right over to the Acura dealer and traded it in on an '05. This one rattles more than the last one and doesn't feel as fast but I still enjoy it.