Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

** The Traffic/Parking Ticket Thread ** Advice, Rants & Raves

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 02:49 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I have no idea IS

I'm currently waiting to hear from the court regarding a trial by written declaration for a ticket I got in Feb. The speedometer stopped working while I was on the freeway. I had no idea what to do so I started following two cars that seemed to be going the speed limit. Turns out they werent. Fucking sucks.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:26 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by subinf
I have no idea IS

I'm currently waiting to hear from the court regarding a trial by written declaration for a ticket I got in Feb. The speedometer stopped working while I was on the freeway. I had no idea what to do so I started following two cars that seemed to be going the speed limit. Turns out they werent. Fucking sucks.
damn, that sucks. I think I'm just going to pay for the ticket and go to traffic school... (and be REAL good the next 18 months, I don't get tickets that often anyway).
Old 10-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Question: My insurance slip expires in 2 weeks, and I haven't gotten a new one in the mail yet. If I get pulled over or in an accident, am I still okay? I know I have to carry valid proof of insurance at all times, but couldn't I just go to court and show the judge my new slip?

Another question: If I'm pulled over driving another person's car, am I required to have MY insurance slip?
Old 10-28-2009, 11:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater
the one I just got a little over a month ago is over $250

thats insane....$250 for court fee?!!! How fast were you going and how much was your fine? I wonder if they check your record for the past 2-3 years before slapping a fine and court fee...and if you have a violation then they'll eat you up even if that violation was more than 18 months ago.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by AMAN1
Question: My insurance slip expires in 2 weeks, and I haven't gotten a new one in the mail yet. If I get pulled over or in an accident, am I still okay? I know I have to carry valid proof of insurance at all times, but couldn't I just go to court and show the judge my new slip?

Another question: If I'm pulled over driving another person's car, am I required to have MY insurance slip?

What insurance company do you have? I get mine instantly from the internet and just print them out as soon as I renew my policies...Check with your insurance company.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:09 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by coykiam
thats insane....$250 for court fee?!!! How fast were you going and how much was your fine? I wonder if they check your record for the past 2-3 years before slapping a fine and court fee...and if you have a violation then they'll eat you up even if that violation was more than 18 months ago.
supposedly he clocked me at 46mph in a 35.... My record's clean... My last ticket was about 5 years ago, and I went to traffic school for it... so it shouldn't even be on my record.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:22 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 990 Likes on 532 Posts
Angry Parking Ticket

Guys and gals, I'll make it short:

Went out with some friends two weeks ago. I hadn't been to that part of the island in over 20 years, so I parked where I could, next to a meter (valid space). Paid my 100 Yen and off I went.

I come back and I have a warning that I parked in a no parking zone. Then the ticket is at the police station, about $165. For the love of

There was a sign before the meter, in an area with striped lines, but it said no parking from 2000 - 0800. Feck.

Has anyone else had an absolutely astronomical parking ticket? I'm never going back there and parking, that's for sure.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:59 AM
One on the right for me

There might be some others with similar experiences listen in the parking ticket rant thread
Old 10-29-2009, 04:42 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 990 Likes on 532 Posts
My bad. I didn't realize there was a separate area for this....the first sticky in car talk.....

EDIT: I'm
Old 10-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by coykiam
What insurance company do you have? I get mine instantly from the internet and just print them out as soon as I renew my policies...Check with your insurance company.
I'm with State Farm, worst ever. I'm listed as a secondary driver under my mom to make it cheaper, and they're still screwing us over.

For some reason, I'm paying for coverage, yet my mom's name is the only one on the slip. Found out today that they don't plan on sending me a slip with my name on it. I'm just "insured". If I get pulled over, I'll be screwed.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speeding ticket question

State patrol clocked me at 81 in a 70. I had cruise control set to just a hair over 75 (like I always do going down this freeway). The police officer was driving on the opposite side of the freeway when he clocked me.

My question is, does anyone know if the speedometer is 100% accurate? I know some cars tend to be slightly off, but I wasn't sure about the TL. I also have aftermarket wheels/tires (245/35/19).

I'm not sure how I should respond to this one. I don't even know if it's legal in this state (Mississippi) to be 5mph over the posted limit. I know in my home state (Washington), it was legal. The freeway was completely dead, like it always is in this shitty city called Columbus, Mississippi. I've heard trying to fight tickets in a small county is pointless because they're itchin' for every penny they can scrounge up.

Last edited by eluzion; 11-29-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
With stock wheels and tires, my '04 TL's speedometer is dead-on with my GPS.

With different wheels and tires.... all bets are off. With a longer circumference, you are traveling a longer distance per revolution of the tire so your actual speed would be a touch more than indicated on the speedometer. How much? I dunno. You can do the math; I'm too tired.

Originally Posted by eluzion
State patrol clocked me at 81 in a 70. I had cruise control set to just a hair over 75 (like I always do going down this freeway). The police officer was driving on the opposite side of the freeway when he clocked me.

My question is, does anyone know if the speedometer is 100% accurate? I know some cars tend to be slightly off, but I wasn't sure about the TL. I also have aftermarket wheels/tires (245/35/19).

I'm not sure how I should respond to this one. I don't even know if it's legal in this state (Mississippi) to be 5mph over the posted limit. I know in my home state (Washington), it was legal. The freeway was completely dead, like it always is in this shitty city called Columbus, Mississippi. I've heard trying to fight tickets in a small county is pointless because they're itchin' for every penny they can scrounge up.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:41 PM
One on the right for me

Glad this thread was bumped. Reminds me that I need to appeal my ticket. God damn speedo stopped working and the three cars (or two, can't remember) I paced were all speeding. Sucks.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:04 PM
One on the right for me

Sweet, found not guilty. Getting my 350 back from the state will take some time though
Old 01-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Havent posted for a while and notice there a tread on this stuff. Let me add my ticket here.

1/7/2010 - Was drivng back to DE from NJ and was following this G35 coupe on the NJTP and notice he press his brakes and i started to slow down also. Next thing i see the trooper and pass and can see he pulling out to get someone. I assume it was the G35 since he was going faster then me. But i got pull over, i even as did are you sure you pull over the right car..the G35 was driving faster then me. He said your the only one going 84mph on a 65. He said im going to give you a break and knock it down..(famous line). He wrote down 74 in a 65 on my ticket.

So he give me a ticket and said i can pay online.

1/19/2010 - Still waiting today for it to show up so i can pay it off. Also got 2 letters from differnt lawyer office saying they know about my tickets and want me to contact them. After notice it basically wanting me to hire them to represent me. I was like WTF this is bullshit...how did they know about my ticket. Its like a scam.

Also in a couple on months my other ticket was about to go off my insurance. Last. my V1 did shit...cant do much with a laser gun. Thinking about a laser jammer now.

I guess you can't help it when you drive a nice car.

Last edited by Tonywp75; 01-19-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:39 PM
One on the right for me

How would a laser jammer help if you blame it on driving a nice car?
Old 01-20-2010, 07:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Well, I was heading back from Norfolk, VA to Jacksonville, FL. on HWY 58. HWY 58 is a long stretch over to I-95 along the VA/NC border. It's speckled with a few small towns with small town cops that love to sit and hit anyone above the speed limit, or anything else they can get you on.

Anyway, when we hit VA on the way up I knew radar detectors were illegal and I even noticed the sign when I entered the state. So, just before crossing the state line from NC I take my detector down and place in on the floor but I didn't turn it off.

It's 5:30 in the morning, I'm on HWY 58 on my way home and I know the cops are anal about the speed, so I put the speed limit on cruise control to be safe. I pass a couple of cop cars and no issues. Then when I pass another he turns his headlights on and pulls out. Comes up behind me and turns the blue lights on. I pull over.

He comes up and ask for my license and type of vehicle I'm driving, then returns to his car. A few minutes later he returns with a ticket and asked me if I knew having a radar detector in VA was illegal and hands me the ticket. I guess he had a radar detector detector. I unplugged it and off I went.

Geez, I thought I was okay as long as I didn't have the detector up on the windshield. This bites. Lesson learned.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by tnl_tsx
Next time you should take a pic with ticket since the camera show what time you took the pic and bring it to court. What worst is that people who got ticket before you is not even at 8am.
I realize the post quoted above, regarding a ticket written as the legal parking hours expired, is several months old, but in case anyone else sees it and thinks it's good advice, think again. It's about the dumbest advice I've ever seen anyone give. "The camera show[s] what time you took the pic"? How are you going to prove to the court that the time on your camera was correct? (Consider how easy it is to forget to change the time on your camera for daylight saving time, or when you travel to a city in a different time zone.) How are you going to prove that you didn't change the time on the camera just to have it stamp the picture with a legal time? Any judge would laugh at you for trying this method of fighting a ticket.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:27 PM
6th Gear

the cops and the ticket system is all a ploy to generate $$$ - the lawyers are notified by cops as a means to help you save points on ur license --

the cop also pulled over the guy behind (you) because he was too stupid to pull u both over lol -

I was in ny and same thing happen, except that he got on his loud speaker and called over both cars (Me and the guy infront)-

sometimes its just the luck of the draw - even if you had video of the other guy going faster, the court will always rule on the situation YOUR car was in -

pretty wack -
Old 01-21-2010, 08:32 PM
One on the right for me

Actually I think that most attorneys just send a law clerk to browse the files to generate a potential client list. I know for a fact that is done with DUI and other, more serious offenses
Old 01-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sting2006
the cops and the ticket system is all a ploy to generate $$$ - the lawyers are notified by cops as a means to help you save points on ur license --

the cop also pulled over the guy behind (you) because he was too stupid to pull u both over lol -

I was in ny and same thing happen, except that he got on his loud speaker and called over both cars (Me and the guy infront)-

sometimes its just the luck of the draw - even if you had video of the other guy going faster, the court will always rule on the situation YOUR car was in -

pretty wack -
I figured it was a way to generate $ for the debt NJ is in. You think it worth hiring a lawyer? If so do they throw out the ticket or just lessen the points, i believe it just 2 points.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Unregistered User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Tint Tax

I got pulled over last night (yes, at NIGHT ) and was handed a $110 citation for my 30% tint . I have 10 days to plea guilty/not guilty and go to court or pay the ticket. I plan on keeping my tint, going to court, and seeing what happens. I pretty much expect to pay the fine.

On the other hand, I could also take it off and have the ticket removed, and then put on 20% tint (what I should have gotten) later this summer.

Interestingly of note. Recently, a popular local radio morning show talked about one of its' hosts getting a ticket recently. They had callers including cops chime in on the subject. My friend said that in the recent days he's known about more and more friends getting pulled over for this... go figure.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Take them off and go darker!

Most cops around here don't have tint meters, but I got pulled over last week for my tint (15%) and lack of front plate. First time in almost a year. $165 for both violations. Payment sent, fuck you very much!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
$165 for both violations.

Too rich for my blood! I'll risk the plate violation (knock on wood; it's been almost twenty years of luck on this one), but the tint is just too difficult to manage, especially since I have heard stories of some LEO requiring the film to be removed before the vehicle is allowed to leave the spot.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Iv got family members with the state police, I know where your coming from and I wish the tint could be darker but you gotta see their side to. In a traffic stop the officer needs to be able to see what the driver is doing while they approach the vehicle, with heavy tint the driver could be getting a gun or hiding evidence. The state police lost Trooper Miller not long ago in a situation resembling this. (No tint involved, just an example of what could happen during an approach to a vehicle). And the New Jersey State police have lost 2 officers this year due to tint while approaching a car during a traffic stop.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by chairguru22
I got pulled over last night (yes, at NIGHT ) and was handed a $110 citation for my 30% tint . I have 10 days to plea guilty/not guilty and go to court or pay the ticket. I plan on keeping my tint, going to court, and seeing what happens. I pretty much expect to pay the fine.

On the other hand, I could also take it off and have the ticket removed, and then put on 20% tint (what I should have gotten) later this summer.

Interestingly of note. Recently, a popular local radio morning show talked about one of its' hosts getting a ticket recently. They had callers including cops chime in on the subject. My friend said that in the recent days he's known about more and more friends getting pulled over for this... go figure.
What part of Philly are you in? I'm all over the city and don't really have any problems. However, the State Troopers on I-95 are a different story I'd take it off and use that $110 towards going darker. I have have 20% on my WDP and love it!

Originally Posted by Crestwood1001
Iv got family members with the state police, I know where your coming from and I wish the tint could be darker but you gotta see their side to. In a traffic stop the officer needs to be able to see what the driver is doing while they approach the vehicle, with heavy tint the driver could be getting a gun or hiding evidence. The state police lost Trooper Miller not long ago in a situation resembling this. (No tint involved, just an example of what could happen during an approach to a vehicle). And the New Jersey State police have lost 2 officers this year due to tint while approaching a car during a traffic stop.
Out of respect for the cops, I always roll down all my windows and turn off the car as soon as I get pulled over. I don't have anything to hide and I'd like the cop to be at ease (hopefully get out of a ticket).

Last edited by BlueAc; 02-22-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:55 PM
Hello Officer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
just get a note from a doctor. Say you have 'photophobia'.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:04 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by II LeGeNDz II
just get a note from a doctor. Say you have 'photophobia'.

Is it really easy to get a note from a doctor? Has anyone got one?

I just put on my tints (30%) and i'm from NYC, so i'm still hoping to get away with it
Old 02-22-2010, 11:41 PM
Unregistered User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueAc
What part of Philly are you in? I'm all over the city and don't really have any problems. However, the State Troopers on I-95 are a different story I'd take it off and use that $110 towards going darker. I have have 20% on my WDP and love it!

Out of respect for the cops, I always roll down all my windows and turn off the car as soon as I get pulled over. I don't have anything to hide and I'd like the cop to be at ease (hopefully get out of a ticket).
I live in Center City for about 6 months now and I've had no issues. It's not there that I'm worried about or got pulled over for. I was on my way to work in the suburbs when I got this ticket... They are bored around here I guess.

I also had my windows rolled down. I guess it's for safety but at the same time, being pulled over just for tint is putting themselves at risk. Also, if a criminal had a weapon and was willing to use it, driving around worried about a tint citation is of no concern to them.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:43 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm almost thinking we should get a thread of good lawyers who are cost effictive who have been good at fighting off tickets. The state police have been cracking down bigtime since the recession.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueAc

Out of respect for the cops, I always roll down all my windows and turn off the car as soon as I get pulled over.
I've heard of others doing this too. Usually saves the day and prevents a tint violation, unless they're really out to get you (like say when the gov't coffers are depleted). :shakehead
Old 02-26-2010, 11:14 AM
One on the right for me

Got a parking ticket but the time on the ticket was wrong. Annoying because at the time the ticket says it was written I was already at home. I can't say for sure whether the meter was expired because I don't know when the ticket was actually written. This will be interesting.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Ok, so I'm looking for advice more than anything.

I went to the SF Bay Area for Spring Break this past week. From here in Logan, UT, that's about a 13-hour drive. The drive there on Saturday, March 13th turned into an 18-hour ordeal since we hit a blizzard up in Donner Pass. That was great.

Coming back, no problems. Except I got stopped by an officer on the freeway outside of Elko, Nevada for doing 90 in a 75. The road conditions were perfect, traffic was very light, road was straight and we were nowhere near a city so everyone is doing the same speed. I get stopped, and sure, I knew I was going 90 (I didn't admit to anything, of course, but I know for myself that my cruise control was set to that), but then the citation is what gets me- on the ticket, it says "Actual Speed: 90, Cited Speed: 85".

Ok, so it seems like the officer is being lenient.

And then I see the fine amount- $192! Are you kidding me? I've never gotten any ticket of any kind, no speeding, points on my license or anything, and I get slapped with this monster.

What kills me is that I wasn't going that much over, I was driving safely, and the officer says I slowed down when I passed him but went even faster when I went a little farther down the road. That would be impossible, as I had been on cruise control the whole time since way before we even entered the county. And there was no uphill or downhill to explain that kind of change in speed on cruise control either.

I know in about 20 states it's ok to go over the posted speed limit if you can prove that conditions were safe to do so. The information on the citation is proof enough, not to mention the plethora of pictures I took while I was driving that stretch. I'm trying to find out if Nevada is one of those states, and I would think it is- it's a god-forsaken desert, you would think the cop would recognize the barrenness of the state and how one would want to get out of there ASAP.

I'm hoping to get the ticket reduced, especially since I know a guy in my apartment complex on the same drive that was hit with a $500 fine for going 101 in a 70...and then the court reduced his fine to $160. My ticket costing more than his seems utterly ridiculous.

Any ideas on what I can do? I'm determined to not pay $192, especially as a poor college student with a perfect driving record. Court date is a full month from now so I've got time. OH and I had a passenger with me, if that helps.

Last edited by DuoDSG; 03-22-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I am not giving any legal advice: if you were not on a highway you might be able to argue the "safe speed rule" (road conditions, time of day, weather, etc.) but highways are different because the speeds are set so high that anything over the posted limit is usually a violation regardless of conditions. 85 in a 75 is not too bad and the fine is actually pretty common. If you decide to fight the fine better assume the worst, that the cop had you on video with radar…tough to argue in court. For what it’s worth the magic number for most cops is 15mph over the posted limit (assuming normal driving conditions, of course, no fog, etc.) so 90 in a 75 is not a good speed to set your cruise.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:56 PM
One on the right for me

Good luck. It isn't that expensive of a ticket. Is it worth going back to NV to deal with it?
Old 03-24-2010, 12:51 AM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

No way am I going all the way to Nevada to show up in person. If anything I was planning on calling up the court just to see what they say, not being hostile about it or anything. Logan is about 4 1/2 hours away from Elko, no way am I spending all the money to just go there and back. Driving through Nevada twice for spring break was enough for me.

More than anything I'm looking to see if they can lower the fine amount, but I'm not pushing my luck since it's my first ticket ever and I know perfectly well that I was over the speed limit so I'm not going to pretend I didn't do it. I'm curious to see what effect this will have on my insurance, though...
Old 03-24-2010, 12:59 AM
One on the right for me

I think most states have reciprocity now with speeding tickets, so if your insurance digs it will come up.

Do you have any type of traffic school system where you can have the point (or whatever your ticket system is based on) removed? Although I'm not sure how that works with out of state tickets.

Good luck either way.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Advanced

So last week i got pulled over on nj turnpike by an undercover for doing 90 on a 55 mph zone. although he never got my speed on a radar but assumed it by following me and i guess comparing it with his speedometer. he also gave me a ticket for improper passing. i have no idea what that was for becuase i did not do anything unsafe. i was speeding but only when the road was clear. whenever i wud hit traffic i would come back to 55-60. the cop told me he has been following me for a while and he himself said that i did slowed down for traffic but would speed up when the road got clear. So now i look up at njmcdirect.com and see that all these tickets come out to $345 fine and 9 points!! and this is first time i ever got pulled over and got ticketed since i got my licence (about 3 years).
So now im just looking for some advice. I know i'm screwed pretty bad. should i go to the court and plea guilty and hope for the judge to be lenient. or should i hire a lawyer? if anyone has ever been to elizabeth court and know if the judges there and lenient on this matter or not.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:17 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
9 points.. you're fucked. If I were you I'd contest it.. but it sounds like your actions are inexplicable. I would get a lawyer or at least seek counsel on the situation.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:05 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so i got a street cleaning ticket recently and it says i have a BMW on it. when my car is acura o.O would i still have to pay this. or can i fight it off

Quick Reply: ** The Traffic/Parking Ticket Thread ** Advice, Rants & Raves