Stock 19" wheel weight

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019 | 11:31 AM
Intermediate

Stock 19" wheel weight

Has anyone weighed the stock wheels? I know the 19" Michelins Primacy weight 28 lbs per Tire Rack. Curious if anyone has weighed the original 19" wheels with or without tires.
Old 12-23-2019 | 05:45 PM
mrgold35

I weighed my 18 RLX Sport Hybrid rim without the tire or TPMS hardware and it came out to about 31.4 lbs. Did it with the digital bathroom scale with and without holding the rim. I swapped out the OEM rims for Petrol P4B 19X8 gloss black at 24lbs per rim. Planning to swap out the OEM Michelins down the road for Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 in OEM size at 24lbs per tire for about 45 lbs of weight savings from all four corners.

The following users liked this post:
kareshi (04-03-2024)
Old 12-24-2019 | 03:54 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I weighed my 18 RLX Sport Hybrid rim without the tire or TPMS hardware and it came out to about 31.4 lbs. Did it with the digital bathroom scale with and without holding the rim. I swapped out the OEM rims for Petrol P4B 19X8 gloss black at 24lbs per rim. Planning to swap out the OEM Michelins down the road for Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 in OEM size at 24lbs per tire for about 45 lbs of weight savings from all four corners.
Thank you for the info. I was curious, if you notice any kind of difference in since getting the lighter wheels? Right now you should have about 30 lbs of weight savings from the lighter wheels alone. Also curious what are your impressions with the suspension, does yours make any kind of noise? I ask because I am having my front struts replaced 3rd time now, and there is a subtle but noticeable rattle coming from my car at low 15-25 mph speeds on uneven surfaces. I know 2018s have a different part number, but visually appear to be identical shocks. Wondering if that may be the remedy.
Old 12-24-2019 | 04:33 AM
mrgold35

I just got the replacement rims on a few days before X-Mas. I probably won't get a chance to test out and feel the difference until next week because the weather is suppose to turn bad until New Years.

Just got the RLX the first week of Dec/19. I haven't noticed any kind of noise at hwy speeds or low speed maneuvers from turns, bumps, or dips. The RLX suspension is tuned for a softer/comfy ride with a little more bounce over bumps, lean on the curves, dive when braking, and squat on acceleration compared to my 19 MDX with active dampers.

I had a similar noise with my 08 RDX when I replaced my OEM struts/shocks that died at 100k with Eibach lowering springs. I replaced with KYB struts/shocks+Eibach; but, heard creaking, groaning, and sometimes popping noise with low speed maneuvers from the front. Tried going back to OEM springs with normal ride height and still had the same noise. The only thing that worked was just going with the entire OEM strut assembly up front, dumping KYB struts, and retire the Eibach springs. Noise free for +65,000 miles and counting. You might just have normal wear/tear within the strut assembly showing up as a rattle. Checking the alignment might also show if any suspension parts are starting to get worn.
Old 12-24-2019 | 07:35 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I just got the replacement rims on a few days before X-Mas. I probably won't get a chance to test out and feel the difference until next week because the weather is suppose to turn bad until New Years.

Just got the RLX the first week of Dec/19. I haven't noticed any kind of noise at hwy speeds or low speed maneuvers from turns, bumps, or dips. The RLX suspension is tuned for a softer/comfy ride with a little more bounce over bumps, lean on the curves, dive when braking, and squat on acceleration compared to my 19 MDX with active dampers.

I had a similar noise with my 08 RDX when I replaced my OEM struts/shocks that died at 100k with Eibach lowering springs. I replaced with KYB struts/shocks+Eibach; but, heard creaking, groaning, and sometimes popping noise with low speed maneuvers from the front. Tried going back to OEM springs with normal ride height and still had the same noise. The only thing that worked was just going with the entire OEM strut assembly up front, dumping KYB struts, and retire the Eibach springs. Noise free for +65,000 miles and counting. You might just have normal wear/tear within the strut assembly showing up as a rattle. Checking the alignment might also show if any suspension parts are starting to get worn.
That's the thing, I bought my 2016 RLX FWD in August 2019 with31.5k on it, and shortly after I noticed the subtle rattle. Dealership replaced the passanger side shock. Noise went away for a few days. Less than a week later, rattling started again. Dealership replaced the shock again, and less than a week later rattling returned again. I had the dealership look the car and they are saying again it's the shock making the rattle. They They didn't want to replace the shock seeing how the issue keeps coming back and asked me to drop the car off once an Acura field engineer would visit the dealership. I did so last Wednesday. My car has been at the dealership since then. The shop foreman mentioned that they had a 2018 RLX there and it didn't make the same rattling sound, and that the shocks appear very similar, though the part number is slightly different. I'm starting to suspect a general issue with 2016 shock design, and wondering if the shocks from 2018 RLX might fix my issue. Otherwise, I like the car a lot.
Old 12-25-2019 | 08:07 AM
mrgold35

My Acura dealership is really bad at throwing parts at a problems to see what works. A lot of times they are fixing symptoms instead of solving the root of the problem and they are surprised the same symptom pops up again. It looks like the +18 RLX changes are cosmetic (mostly body panels, tail lights, seats, rims, and that resulted in lower mpgs for some reason). I wonder if replacing the whole strut assembly with the +18 RLX version would be easier/cheaper labor wise compared to just the +18 RLX struts?

Any chance the rattle might be from the brake or the metal shield protecting the front brake? You might have a worn bushing somewhere with the strut assembly that isn't muting normal vibration/rattle with the suspension? The RLX is a very quiet vehicle, it must be a pretty loud rattle if you can hear it in the cabin.
Old 12-25-2019 | 04:47 PM
Intermediate

I wondered the same about bushings and shield and some other components. The shop foreman told me they placed "electronic ear" and listened at 6 different locations in the suspension and the loudest noise is coming from the strut each time. He insisted it's the strut, and that each time they replaced it, the noise was gone, but when I return 3-4 weeks later the same strut is the source of noise again. During one of my prior visits they did replace a few bushings along with the strut, and the noise was gone for a couple of days maybe. As far as the loudness, I would rate it about 3 or 4 out of 10. If you know what to look for and when, it is observable. It is most obvious at about 15-20 mph when the car rides over a concavity in the road (opposite of a bump), and the wheel drops. This is when the shock would have to do the most work, which it doesn't seem like it is doing. Hitting the same patch in the road at higher speeds causes the rattle to be mostly drowned out by wheel and wind noise. Also the rattle itself becomes more muted largely because I assume the wheel drops smaller distance since the car is exposed to the unevenness for shorter amount of time. The noise is definitely observable, my wife noticed it, and the shop foreman agrees it's present. However outside of the specific scenario I described, it is easy to not notice it at all for a while depending on how smooth the roads are and how much attention you pay to car noises. On my 10 mile commute to work, there are about 5-6 places where I've come to expect hearing the rattle. I live in Boston area, where roads are not great. I can imagine in Florida one might not hear the sound at all on the same car.