AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RLX Tires, Wheels & Suspension (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-tires-wheels-suspension-433/)
-   -   Losing tire pressure (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-tires-wheels-suspension-433/losing-tire-pressure-960560/)

Kgb2016 07-17-2017 11:46 PM

Losing tire pressure

my wife's 2014 RLX loosing tire pressure... There is no damage to the tires or any nails. It happens often when the temp drops outside. I understand that the low profile tires don't hold as much air as the regular ones but the pressure drops from 240 psi to 190 and the low pressure alarm goes off...
Have anybody else expirienced this problem?

moose66 07-18-2017 08:05 AM

No issue on the my '16. Tire damage is sometimes hard to see with the naked eye. It doesn't take much for a slow leak to occur. You may have run over something you are not aware of. Could also be a loose/worn valve stem. Might want to have it looked at.

justnspace 07-18-2017 08:08 AM

It's a common occurrence, when temperatures drop, air pressure drops.

Also might be leaking from valve stem or something punctured tire

thoiboi 07-18-2017 08:12 AM

Ideal gas law states when temp drops, so can pressure

Tire pressure should always be tested/filled up when cold. 240 refers to kPa (because canada) which is a tad under 35 PSI for us American folks. 190 kPa = 27.5 PSI. Fill up to 240 kPa when cold and keep watch.

That being said though, , but 20% drop is pretty steep so it may be a loose valve stem as mentioned above.. Take it to a tire place so they can check the entire tire.

hondamore 07-18-2017 10:37 AM

I often see a similar drop in tire pressures during the winter months. We have a heated garage (which we keep at around 15C (59F) and outside temperatures below minus 30C (minus 22 F) are not unusual around here and that big a temperature drop will lead to a substantial drop in tire pressure. In the winter months, we add at least two or three psi (13 - 21 kPa) extra tire pressure so that the pressure does NOT drop too low if the car is outside in the cold for a few hours.

The key to discovering if you have a leak or not is to monitor if the tire pressure returns to normal when the car is in a warmer environment (garage for example). If it does, you are experiencing normal temperature related pressure fluctuations and simply keep your pressures higher than the door sticker recommendation during the winter months so the TPMS alarm is not triggered. If the pressure does not return to normal, get thee to an Acura dealer or tire shop and have it checked out - you have a slow leak.

Just my two cents.

Kgb2016 07-18-2017 02:41 PM

Thank you guys, that's all makes sense. The drop of the temperature happened in a summer and not in a winter. I'm talking about from +30C to +17C. So most likely I have an issue with a slow leak - may be a valve. Off to go to the tire shop....

wilspainar 07-18-2017 05:00 PM

I have the same issue. When it gets hot and cold I lose about 5 psi of tire pressure on two of my wheels. I have cracks on the side wall so I think that would be my issue.

miner 07-19-2017 07:35 AM

I was consistently using 1 lb per week; fill back up and still lose 1 lb/week, during the heat of spring/summer. I had a faulty TPMS that needed to be replaced.

justnspace 07-19-2017 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by wilspainar (Post 16060372)
I have the same issue. When it gets hot and cold I lose about 5 psi of tire pressure on two of my wheels. I have cracks on the side wall so I think that would be my issue.

yikes, dry rot is a whole separate issue

moose66 07-19-2017 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16060608)
yikes, dry rot is a whole separate issue

Yeah, driving around on dry/cracking tires is a no-no, especially at high speeds. That is a blowout waiting to happen!

Kgb2016 07-19-2017 11:00 PM

Ok so I took the car to the shop. No problems with tires or valves at all.... They pumped up the pressure and told me to keep an eye on it. Will see what's gonna happen.

Kgb2016 07-19-2017 11:00 PM

Ok so I took the car to the shop. No problems with tires or valves at all.... They pumped up the pressure and told me to keep an eye on it. Will see what's gonna happen.

justnspace 07-20-2017 06:17 AM

let us know!

moose66 07-20-2017 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Kgb2016 (Post 16061193)

Scratching my head on this one. Seems to me if the tire is repeatedly suffering a pressure loss, something is amiss. You have already put air in the tire and it seeped back out. To me, that is a problem. Maybe you just needed Acura air. Hopefully that was free!

Kgb2016 07-20-2017 12:06 PM

My other option is to feel the tires with nitrogen. It doesn't expand/contract as much as regular air. That would be my next step.

justnspace 07-20-2017 12:21 PM

^the atmosphere is 78% nitrogen. in essence, it wont do anything

Kgb2016 07-20-2017 12:22 PM

I can't win...���� lol...

justnspace 07-20-2017 12:37 PM

are all 4 tires, losing air?
or is it just one?

I would go to a different tire shop to have them inspect and figure it out.

Kgb2016 07-20-2017 12:41 PM

Yes all 4. That's what makes it weird. If it's only one - then it's definitely a nail or some other thing.

hondamore 07-20-2017 05:25 PM

If all four tires are inflated to the recommended pressures and a drop from 30 degrees to 17 degrees causes the TMPS to be triggered, then there is a problem with the TPMS system. My guess is that your wife's tires were a "bit low" to begin with (but not low enough to trigger the TPMS) and then the drop in temperature was enough to drop the pressure below the threshold for the TPMS warning. Fortunately the TPMS system did its job and warned your wife to top up the pressures before they were low enough to do damage to the tires or become dangerous to drive on.

My old man advice is to click over to the TMPS in the MID at least once a month and check the pressures in your tires. If they are even a bit below the recommended level, top them up. That way you are always at the optimum inflation for the best handling and safest driving.

Just my two cents.

pcloadletter 07-06-2019 08:50 PM

I had one tire going low, it was the tpms sensor. Sprayed some soapy water and could see bubbles.

At the BMW UDE, the instructor had the tire pressure screen up, probably the most useful screen of all of the options. He even aired down some tires during the session. Now I check the pressures daily.

EE4Life 07-11-2019 11:06 PM

Acura is currently investigating this issue.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...b0f45d7400.jpg

pcloadletter 07-14-2019 12:37 PM

I was adding air weekly on the 14, but it was out of warranty, one of the reasons for the trade. Now with the 16, I can go a few weeks, but one tire is losing air.

RLX-Sport Hybrid 07-14-2019 07:57 PM

I have had to replace all 4 TPMS sensors and valves when I replaced my latest set of tires. Unexpected $1000 cost.

kcinac 10-07-2019 08:55 AM

I have a 2013 TL. I have been experiencing the same problem. All 4 tires are losing all. One tire in particular was at a faster rate than the other three.

I drive far from my home base frequently so I have a full size spare in addition to my donut spare.

So I swapped the most leaky tire with the spare and gave the wheel a good inspection. Tire was fine.

I then sprayed a soap solution on both beads. Didn't see a leak.

Then I sprayed the valve stem. Bubbles galore. I did over inflate the tire for the test.

The leak was from the base of the stem.

I then deflated the tire and popped the tire bead.

I then proceeded to unscrew the TPMS nut to remove the sensor.

There was a lot of white dusk. Thought it was just road dirt stuck in the crevice around the stem.

After I pulled the TPMS from the inside and inspected it.

The white dust was embedded in TPMS threads and also worked it way onto the rubber grommet.

From this I concluded that the aluminum corroded from the road salts and I need to replace the entire sensor and clean the wheel as best I can.

Questions -

1.) Has anyone else seen this on their wheels?

2.) I am concerned that the grommet contact surface will not be completely smooth, Should I apply a sealer of some sort to the grommet when I install the new TPMS?

Thank you in advance for thoughts/recommendations.