General consensus of wet perf for OEM Mich Primacy MXM4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 01:19 PM
Stealth Stylin'

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
General consensus of wet perf for OEM Mich Primacy MXM4?

After reading a lot of tire posts here, I feel like there are enough comments about bad wet performance of the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 to say that the general consensus seems to be negative. There seem to be a number of anecdotes with SH cars that mention the rear moving or losing traction in wet conditions. I know I had this happen to me, and it gave me a little scare.

Am I reading this right? I've only seen one person comment that he thought these tires did well in wet & snow, but he had a RDX, so not exactly the same as the RLX. The rest of ones I've seen with RLX seem to indicate these particular OEM tires can cause some unexpected & not-good driving situations.

I'm already considering replacing them myself.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:29 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
I was happy to get rid of the MXM4s. The replacement DWS06 made the drive more enjoyable. Thought they would be a very good year round tire, but had to put the budget studable the snow tires on last winter. Should have went dedicated summer tires instead of all seasons. Loved the S02s on the RL.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:02 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I've been on the verge of getting rid of mine a few times.

The damned things just will not wear out!!
Old 11-08-2017, 12:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Down here in Houston we get some torrential rains. On my '14 RLX Adv the Michelin performed so well I replaced them with the same tire when I had a blowout two different time that resulted in two tires being replaced. On the second blowout (both were caused by debris) I decide to just replace all four tires so the wear would be even. Now that I have a '17 SH-AWD I will most likely replace with another Michelin model when the time comes but at 10000/yr that could be a few years down the road.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:19 PM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by miner
Down here in Houston we get some torrential rains. On my '14 RLX Adv the Michelin performed so well I replaced them with the same tire when I had a blowout two different time that resulted in two tires being replaced. On the second blowout (both were caused by debris) I decide to just replace all four tires so the wear would be even. Now that I have a '17 SH-AWD I will most likely replace with another Michelin model when the time comes but at 10000/yr that could be a few years down the road.
I may have this wrong, but I believe you just obtained a RLXSH after having a '14 RLX p-aws, correct?

If so, the problem you may have with the OEM Michelins on the SH is due to the powered electric driven wheels in the rear when taking corners or turns. The tires are ok going straight, but lose grip when the active vectoring does its thing on wet surfaces when turning/cornering. This even happened at slow cornering with the foot off the accelerator! This is due to the computer accelerating the outside wheel and braking the inside wheel. Not everyone has had this SH experience, but enough of us have, so you should know it could happen. No more occurrences of this since I changed to the Michelin AS3+. I replaced at 10,000 miles and wish I had done it sooner.
It's odd that not all SH members on here had the same experience....Maybe a bad run of rubber compound on a series of OEM Michelins????? I hope your OEMs don't have whatever flaw that caused this, but if it does happen, I wouldn't automatically chalk it up to an oil slick in the middle of an intersection or leaves on the wet road when cautiously taking a gentle curve.
Enjoy the new ride!
The following users liked this post:
cidvanski (05-23-2020)
Old 11-09-2017, 01:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Thank you for the insight - I will be replacing with the AS3+ when that time comes. I actually tried right after picking up the car but could only garnish $50/tire towards the AS3+s. I figured for that price I would drive them until I felt they needed to be replaced. Net to me would have been $869.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Has anyone already swapped out the tires? I know when I got my TLX in 2015 the first rain storm I drive in the next week I ordered new tires, Conti DSW 06 and put a second pair on last year. I have test driven the 2018 RLX Hybrid 3 times now trying to decide and I am thinking if I swap the tires out it will get the ride closer to what I want, still nothing to make up for the wallowing it does at times, but the handling should have a marked improvement.