Looking at purchasing 2014 RLX tech package

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 01:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looking at purchasing 2014 RLX tech package

I have owned 3 Legend's & 3 RL's. I always buy them 4-5 years old and with 60k-90k miles on them. I put a 125K miles on them and restart the process. It is nice because you can pick up 5 year old legends for a third of what they were new. I am seeing 2014 & 2015 RLX's for under or around 20k.

The questions I have are.
Is there any known issues with the car, besides scheduled stuff, from the 130k-180k that could be costly. I know the 3.5v6 is bullet proof because I have owned several. Never had the 6 speed transmission.
I have never owned a vehicle with all wheel steering. I live in Wisconsin and we have a lot of snow. I am worried about losing the rear end around a corner because the rear wheels kick out. Has anyone drove these things in 3 or more inches of snow?
Do the rear wheel actuators last like motor and transmission. Can I get over 250k miles on them before they need to be replaced? If not how expensive are they to replace?
Are the rear wheel steering hydraulic, like in the old school Mitsubishi 3000gtVr4's, or are they fly by wire (electric)?
Can you disable the rear wheel steering? I've never seen a need for all wheel steering or drive for that matter. If I want performance I have 2 motorcycles I can use to rip up the pavement with.

Thank you everyone in advance.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:26 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
If you're buying a P-AWS car, you probably want to go to the TSB thread and look through it.

There's a long list of things you want to be sure you've taken care of, including a problem with the P-AWS actuators in the early cars (like your 2014).

No, you cannot turn off P-AWS. But the good news is that it really works and you can point the car very well, considering its size. The price you pay for that is a disconcerting, very short but still barely perceivable ⅛ s delay to when the car takes its final "set" in a corner. In ultimate performance situations in carousels and switchbacks, this makes the car a little slower than you'd think it ought to be, but it's still probably faster through these sections than other cars you're thinking about.

By the time you get to the version of the 6A that was used in the KC1, it's fairly bullet proof. You have the last version of the 6A before they went to the 10A in the KC1.
The following 2 users liked this post by George Knighton:
mrrobato (11-20-2018), ThatGuy2018 (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 05:42 PM
Cruisin'

Thank you George. One of the suggestions I have been told is buying a 2014 P-AWS car you want to make sure the vin# is north of 4000. That helps with the suspension issues because most of the issues were caught early in 2013. Does that make sense?

Has anyone had issues with the PAWS in snow? We get several inches (some times over a 100") of snow in Wisconsin and although I plan on keeping my RL as a winter car for occasions I will be using the RLX and there maybe snow on the road. I am just worried the rear steering will kick out the rear end on a corner and next thing you know I am skipping off curbs or parked cars.

Thanks for the input on the transmission.

Also where on here do I check the TSB's? Do you check them by vin#? Also is there a website where I can get a build sheet on a RLX if I have the vin#? I find a lot of these advertisements miss features or say the car has it but doesn't. I find mostly it comes to the stereo and amount of speakers.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:43 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by ThatGuy2018
One of the suggestions I have been told is buying a 2014 P-AWS car you want to make sure the vin# is north of 4000. That helps with the suspension issues because most of the issues were caught early in 2013. Does that make sense?
It does. The physical problem with the actuators was more or less fixed, but you would still want to be sure that you've looked at all recalls and TSB associated with the KC1.

Has anyone had issues with the PAWS in snow?
In the time that I had my KC1, I drove in snow, sometimes a few inches of slow. It was no particular problem as long as I drove remembering that I was in a FWD-only vehicle with no LSD, and a rear end that would steer.

Not so much as the KC2, the KC1 would still allow some drifting action before the computer took over. :-)

I am just worried the rear steering will kick out the rear end on a corner and next thing you know I am skipping off curbs or parked cars.
Except that I was delighted that the car allowed what could only be called four wheel drifting, it was nothing surprising. Just drive logically until you know the car.

Also where on here do I check the TSB's? Do you check them by vin#?
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...letins-971953/

It's a long list. :-)

Also is there a website where I can get a build sheet on a RLX if I have the vin#? I find a lot of these advertisements miss features or say the car has it but doesn't. I find mostly it comes to the stereo and amount of speakers.
I've never seen a build sheet for the RLX. I'm sorry, but I really don't know.

Speakers: You've either got Advance _ Krell, or you haven't. IMHO, Krell Audio is pretty good, even to the point that it seems to try to decompress satellite audio. Even so, satellite is never going to equal iPod or HD FM. But I was surprised that satellite was tolerable over Krell.

I really do not believe the KC1 is ever going to be regarded as Honda's finest hour. Especially because the clearly superior KC2 is around, and sold in that year for not that much more.

However, as the KC1 ages, I believe it will garner a good reputation for overall reliability. The 6A became basically bulletproof by then, and the J35 is still an old reliable J35. It should go a long ways.
The following users liked this post:
mrrobato (12-09-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 06:46 AM
Grandpa

You might also be interested in this Edmunds article about the KC1 suspension: https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...alkaround.html

Honda spent a hell of a lot of money on this suspension, and I don't know how they ever expected to make money on this car.
The following users liked this post:
mrrobato (12-09-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 11:04 AM
Cruisin'

Thank you George Knighton you have been a huge help!
Old 11-28-2018, 04:35 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Owned it for 2 years

I have owned RLX 2014 for 2 years now.
Big things you should look out for are:
-headlight (jewel light) recalls
-clunky suspension
-rear P-AWS actuator

I didnt have problem with first two luckily but I did have problem with the last one(rear Paws actuator).
it was covered under warranty, dealer has changed the whole actuator assembly with most uptodate 2017 parts.

Since then, sailed without any troubles.
Its okay on snow, the car is generally in the heavier side. Because of P AWS and its weight stopping and cornering is no problem even with the icy road(as long as you have winter tires). Somtimes the problem is the get up and go part in the winter icy road condition but this is every FWD car's problem.

I can explain more about how to check faulty PAWS rear actuator if you want.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:46 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Aiden
I have owned RLX 2014 for 2 years now.
Big things you should look out for are:
-headlight (jewel light) recalls
-clunky suspension
-rear P-AWS actuator

I didnt have problem with first two luckily but I did have problem with the last one(rear Paws actuator).
it was covered under warranty, dealer has changed the whole actuator assembly with most uptodate 2017 parts.

Since then, sailed without any troubles.
Its okay on snow, the car is generally in the heavier side. Because of P AWS and its weight stopping and cornering is no problem even with the icy road(as long as you have winter tires). Somtimes the problem is the get up and go part in the winter icy road condition but this is every FWD car's problem.

I can explain more about how to check faulty PAWS rear actuator if you want.
Please do! I would love to know the signs of faulty actuators. I keep looking up issues and the most of them are on vin#'s south of 4000. When I do plan on buying in the spring I will be looking for a vin# north of 4000. Any and all help will be much appreciated.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:05 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThatGuy2018
Please do! I would love to know the signs of faulty actuators. I keep looking up issues and the most of them are on vin#'s south of 4000. When I do plan on buying in the spring I will be looking for a vin# north of 4000. Any and all help will be much appreciated.
sorry about the delayed response here.
Take the car to super quite place turn slowly without applying any gas. You will hear this weird moaning sound from thr back time to time while turing right or left in empty parking lot. You have to put much power into trying to catch it cause you might not be sensible enough to the catch the sound.

It must be in slow speed with out applying any gas and slowly turn your steering wheel to right and left. Repeat to see if you can catch it
Old 12-19-2018, 04:31 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck w your purchase. I have been looking for an RLX for a few months and if all goes well I’ll buy grandpa’s 2014 advance this weekend for $18k. What I’ve learned is that there aren’t enough buyers for them and they sit or bounce around lots for months. And if that black 2016 tech on Carvana catches your eye....run. I “bought it” and refused delivery because it looked like it had been taped together. I’ve also noticed many dealers don’t know enough about em to differentiate tech from advance.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:08 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Chuckespinoza
Good luck w your purchase. I have been looking for an RLX for a few months and if all goes well I’ll buy grandpa’s 2014 advance this weekend for $18k. What I’ve learned is that there aren’t enough buyers for them and they sit or bounce around lots for months. And if that black 2016 tech on Carvana catches your eye....run. I “bought it” and refused delivery because it looked like it had been taped together. I’ve also noticed many dealers don’t know enough about em to differentiate tech from advance.
The 2016 RLX on Carvana did actually catch my eye so thanks for the heads up. I know with 2016 you have a lot less of the potential issues, suspension & actuators, but you can pick up 14's for under $17k. So is spending $6k more to solve a problem that may not be a problem a solution? If the actuators go bad I will have to spend the $5k but wonder if they don't? Then I saved $5k. There is no difference, body & interior wise, between the 14 & 16.

See one in Florida right now a 14 with 96k for $13k. A little high on the mileage side but if it was April I would inquire more about it. I also hate the fact that the vin on the that one is like number 217. I would like to find one with a vin north of 4000. Most of the issues with suspension and all are on vin's south of 4000. I'm just glad, like all RL's, sales suck so I can steal one. lol
Old 02-20-2020, 07:47 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Happy with my purchase

In May, 2017 I bought a 2014 RLX Technology package from Acura of Wappingers Falls for $23K. (46K miles)
ive been using the car for various Rideshare in NYC (Uber & others) since then, and just rolled over 148K miles.
No major repairs needed, apart from a new Starter, or other consumable items.
MPG is only about 18-20 around town, but can get to 30+ on the highway.
Due to the fact that they sell only around 3000/ Year, you won't see yourself coming and going.
Only major issue is the larger than usual # of flat tires due to the combination of 40 series tires and potholes. However if you live in a place without that problem, then you should be okay.
Overall, I'd recommend getting one.