AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RLX Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-problems-fixes-432/)
-   -   LKAS problem (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-problems-fixes-432/lkas-problem-972071/)

Kgb2016 08-01-2018 11:33 PM

LKAS problem

My 2014 RLX is giving me an intermittent problem with the LKAS system. When I am using the cruise control and trying to engage the the lane departure steering - nothing happens. When I drive back - it works fine. Then next time again - dead. Then works ok after the car restarted...
any idea what it may be? Thanks in advance!

George Knighton 08-06-2018 07:36 AM

Any number of things can affect how LKAS works, although the latest systems are better at it than yours (mine).

Weather, dirt on the wind screen, all kinds of things.

In the 2018 cars, the same basic system works much better than it does in our 2014 cars, a result of more aggressive programming and slightly better camera.

Kgb2016 08-06-2018 12:50 PM

I cleaned all sensors, screens etc, by myself and at the dealer where I took my car. They couldn’t find anything wrong with the car, charged me $140 and kicked out. The problem is intermittent. The car is not under warranty anymore and I’m not about to pay $140 every time I see the dealer. I’m trying to see if anybody else had the similar issue or any idea on what it could be.
Thanks for the input, appreciate it.

hondamore 08-07-2018 11:47 AM

KGB2016, do the lines just not show up in the MID at all or do the lines show up but are not filled in or do the lines show up filled in but the LKAS system doesn't work when you get close to the line on the road? Maybe the switch on the steering wheel has an intermittent glitch??

Kgb2016 08-07-2018 12:00 PM

The lines don’t show at all.

Kgb2016 08-16-2018 11:22 AM

After leaving the car for almost two days at the dealership, I just got a call fro them. Saying that they could not duplicate the problem but there is a new service bulletin coming up with a software update for the ACC. They think that because the ACC Problem comes up on display and all my messages are connected to ACC the update might solve the problems. Nothing else could be found wrong with the vehicle. Was told to keep an eye on it come back if anything....

Fiona 07-03-2019 06:49 AM

#metooacura

[QUOTE=Kgb2016;16281633]
Two days ago, I began having the exact same intermittent problem with the LKAS with my 2015 TLX that you had described. It’s frustrating as it tends to happen earlier on during my driving of the car, and I have to somehow pull over to restart the car for the problem to disappear. It’s now becoming more frequent with its appearance and it is concerning because I completely rely on the LKAS when I drive. The screen screams that there’s a failure with the system and there are no lane lines displayed either. The car does not assist in staying in its lane, all in all, a complete failure of the system. If you had stated that the dealership could not reproduce the problem in order to fix it, I’ll not even bother taking my car in then, or even calling them about it. I wonder if there’s a trend, since yours is a 2014 car and have trouble with the LKAS in 2018, and mine is a 2015 car which gives trouble in 2019. LKAS’ life span of 4 years in some, perhaps?

Kgb2016 07-03-2019 11:32 AM

The dealership did figure out by fluke what was wrong. They said they had to reconnect the main cable that connects the steering column electronic controls with the rest. I don’t remember exactly what was the name of this cable.

Fiona 07-03-2019 04:01 PM

Gratitude

Originally Posted by Kgb2016 (Post 16447961)
The dealership did figure out by fluke what was wrong. They said they had to reconnect the main cable that connects the steering column electronic controls with the rest. I don’t remember exactly what was the name of this cable.

Thank you for responding! I’ll be sure to mention it to the dealership when I take her in.

blaser 07-04-2019 03:38 PM

I have problems with the LKAS, while driving on the highway the lines of the LKAS will turn from solid to dotted, and the car moves out of the lane in self driving mode.
I will take it to the dealer soon and see what he says.

pcloadletter 07-06-2019 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kgb2016 (Post 16274093)
My 2014 RLX is giving me an intermittent problem with the LKAS system. When I am using the cruise control and trying to engage the the lane departure steering - nothing happens. When I drive back - it works fine. Then next time again - dead. Then works ok after the car restarted...
any idea what it may be? Thanks in advance!

I had a similar issue when my radar detector was alerting. I think there was too much radar interference to allow it to engage for the driving cycle. Always worked after a restart.

pcloadletter 07-06-2019 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by blaser (Post 16448470)
I have problems with the LKAS, while driving on the highway the lines of the LKAS will turn from solid to dotted, and the car moves out of the lane in self driving mode.
I will take it to the dealer soon and see what he says.

Pretty normal if the curve is too sharp, lack of steering input for 15 seconds, going above 92 or below 45.

blaser 07-07-2019 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by pcloadletter (Post 16449236)
Pretty normal if the curve is too sharp, lack of steering input for 15 seconds, going above 92 or below 45.

It happens even on straight road, going 60.

George Knighton 07-07-2019 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by blaser (Post 16449356)
It happens even on straight road, going 60.

Later models are better than earlier models (like my 2014). But the newer models are better mostly because the programing slows for greater discretion. The cameras will allow for a lane where the earlier systems would have said there is no visible lane marker. Even with the newer systems, a dirty windscreen can mess up everything. :-)

So many things can affect the camera's ability to see the lines on the road. You'll also get odd problems like the car trying to center itself when a road widens to two lanes but the new lanes aren't marked very well. You'll end up with the car trying to straddle a position where a lane marking would be if they'd finished everything and marked the road correctly.

The KC1 and KC2 have an early form of semi-autonomous driving systems, and even though the newer cars are better, they're still not as good as the latest Cadillac and Tesla.

These systems are not intended for you not to be paying attention. They're more aides than autonomous.

I'm afraid that the dealer is just as likely to tell you that this is not a fault in the system and there isn't much he can do about it.

blaser 07-13-2019 04:40 PM

I took the car to the dealer today to analyze the LKAS problem.
They noticed that my ez-pass transponder is mounted below the camera and they mentioned that it might interfere with the camera due to reflection.
The moved the transponder to the right of the camera.
I drove the car today and didn't have any more problems.
I will keep monitoring and update.
Strange

2016_MDX 01-23-2020 10:44 PM

Does your steering wheel lock as well? My steering wheel locks and I have to turn the MDX off and then back on to reset.

MegaManFun 12-05-2021 09:20 AM

Thanks. Able to find the name of that cable and its location?

Originally Posted by Kgb2016 (Post 16447961)

Thanks. Able to find the name of that cable and its location?