Battery Issues

Old 12-22-2015, 06:59 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Lightbulb Battery Issues

My understanding is that the battery in the Acura RLX comes with a 4 year warranty & if it should die beforehand, they will prorate the cost of a new 1 for you. That being said, let me share my latest adventure:

When my car had been hit & runned, I was told not to drive it as it may damage my headlight further since there was no longer any coverage. Therefore, my car sat in my garage ~2 weeks before I tried to start it & it failed so I had to have it jumped thru the Acura RoadSide Assistance.

After that, my car would always stutter for a second before starting & then yesterday, it stuttered for like 5 seconds before starting. After work, I took it to the dealership to look at it and it would not even start so they replaced my battery. The great part is that they did it completely free under warranty without prorating the cost.

I do ponder why no battery warning ever lit up - is there no such thing? So everyone, please pay attention to your batteries. Hopefully this is just something specific to my RLX & not a common issue.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
My understanding is that the battery in the Acura RLX comes with a 4 year warranty & if it should die beforehand, they will prorate the cost of a new 1 for you. That being said, let me share my latest adventure:

When my car had been hit & runned, I was told not to drive it as it may damage my headlight further since there was no longer any coverage. Therefore, my car sat in my garage ~2 weeks before I tried to start it & it failed so I had to have it jumped thru the Acura RoadSide Assistance.

After that, my car would always stutter for a second before starting & then yesterday, it stuttered for like 5 seconds before starting. After work, I took it to the dealership to look at it and it would not even start so they replaced my battery. The great part is that they did it completely free under warranty without prorating the cost.

I do ponder why no battery warning ever lit up - is there no such thing? So everyone, please pay attention to your batteries. Hopefully this is just something specific to my RLX & not a common issue.
I am surprised there wasn't a warning on the MID also, because the RLX had a sensor on the battery that is suppose to let you know when something like this happens. The MID is suppose to give you a message:

Also this is where the sensor is on the battery:

In the end as every good Service Department should do, they replaced the battery free of charge and kept the customer happy!
The following users liked this post:
TSX69 (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 07:35 AM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
This is why Acura gave pgeorg a new car - because he is needed here on this obviously influential forum as the person with the detailed, researched, illustrated answers to every problem. Acura was wisely trying to keep all of us happy.
The following 2 users liked this post by fsmith:
Malibu Flyer (12-22-2015), pgeorg (12-22-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 10:17 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by fsmith
This is why Acura gave pgeorg a new car - because he is needed here on this obviously influential forum as the person with the detailed, researched, illustrated answers to every problem.
The problem is that he's going to get a life one of these days.

LOL.... :-)
Old 12-23-2015, 11:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by George Knighton
The problem is that he's going to get a life one of these days.

LOL.... :-)
Way too late for that, George:-)
Old 05-04-2016, 05:50 PM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I went away for 5 days, and when I came home my RLX wouldn't start. Accessories all worked but to actually start the car all I got was "click,click, click" and the 12v charging message. Under 15,000 miles on the car and I'm already on my second battery. I used a portable jumper to start the car and drove it to the dealer. 4 days later they are telling me the car started right away, no codes, checked alternator and starter, and tested battery. They want to let it sit one more night to see what happens. What should I do? This is ridiculous at this point. Can't wait for my lease to end.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:57 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Thoughts

I have to wonder if batteries in the RLX are dying so fast due to the fact that cars nowadays are always on - such as searching for the keyfob to be near ... ?

Also, the memory stick I use to play MP3s has a red light on it & it is always on, even when the car is off. Which makes me think that too is also being powered 24/7.

Seems like the price we have to pay for advanced technology in our cars is shorter battery life.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:39 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I have to wonder if batteries in the RLX are dying so fast due to the fact that cars nowadays are always on - such as searching for the keyfob to be near ... ?

Also, the memory stick I use to play MP3s has a red light on it & it is always on, even when the car is off. Which makes me think that too is also being powered 24/7.

Seems like the price we have to pay for advanced technology in our cars is shorter battery life.
Although I have yet to find it in the RLX manual, I remember a notation in the RL manual that advised turning off Auto Headlights if the car would not be started for several days. That passive sensor alone apparently could drain the battery in a few days.
Mark Buxton (07-17-2023)
Old 05-05-2016, 08:46 AM
Grandpa

Maybe.

I have noticed that when I open the driver door, the car assumes that I will need some devices, so it powers the iPod/iPhone connector and other things.

These items are powered up whether or not I touch the red button.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:48 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
Although I have yet to find it in the RLX manual, I remember a notation in the RL manual that advised turning off Auto Headlights if the car would not be started for several days. That passive sensor alone apparently could drain the battery in a few days.
I can't speak for the hybrid model but my RLX cannot stay in the off position. It's always on Auto, and when you turn it to "Off" it springs back. Odd design.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:59 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraguyrlx
I can't speak for the hybrid model but my RLX cannot stay in the off position. It's always on Auto, and when you turn it to "Off" it springs back. Odd design.

Interesting. I did not know that, so I will check. At least the LEDs consume less power than the RL's HIDs did, simply by tuning on and off. Perhaps the sensor design now has less power draw and drain to the battery.

Again, I have to wonder if the PAWS RLX was designed to be only in SH form, where the 12V is a secondary power source and the electronics of the car would not overburden the 12V battery. If not, I scratch my head that it seems yet to be offered / marketed a premium electrical system to meet the demands of today's tech laden vehicles. From my experience, Acura batteries are not durable and do not do the job well.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:42 AM
RLX Advanced #3606

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts
This is my tale of Woe for the battery and its related problems, currently I have 62K on the clock and this past December I attempted to start the car and got the same click click, so I connected a Jump Box and it still would not start. Left the car on a 4amp battery charger overnight and drove it to the dealership. After the service tech ran a diagnostic test, they informed me they battery needed to be replaced and the out of pocket cost would be $100.00, and a recommendation to keep the car on a Trickle Charger.
Looking at the replacement battery (which is also a Acura Battery) but a different smaller size, I queried the service adviser and asked Why a different battery and he replied the previous OEM was not holding up, due to the current draw of the cars electronics.

I was not aware of the 4yr Repl warranty but the new battery is warranted for 100, 000 miles.

No problems since...
Old 05-06-2016, 10:21 AM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I've never seen a battery warranted on miles - usually just years
100K miles is a good deal
Old 05-06-2016, 11:38 AM
8th Gear

My latest update from the dealer is that they ran a bunch of different tests on the alternator, starter and Battery and that they cannot find any issues and that the car starts without a problem every time. I'm going to let them hold it until Monday and see if there is any issues.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
My latest update from the dealer is that they ran a bunch of different tests on the alternator, starter and Battery and that they cannot find any issues and that the car starts without a problem every time. I'm going to let them hold it until Monday and see if there is any issues.
They should be checking for parasitic draw on the battery with the car off and locked after 15-30 minutes. Shouldn't be more than 50mA.

As far as batteries go, Highly suggest you invest in an AGM battery vs Lead Acid. Their lifespan is almost double and can handle being discharged and recharged multiple times unlike lead acid batteries.

You can buy them at most auto parts stores. Highly suggest you buy online, enter in some coupon codes that can be found though google (I like the 30% off pepboys ones) and pickup the battery in store for free!
Old 05-13-2016, 07:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Same way with my RLX and my wife's TLX.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:43 AM
Grandpa

Yup. You can adjust the sensitivity if you want, but it's going to spring back to AUTO.

I don't mind. I love having the headlights come on by themselves, and to me it's more or less a safety feature that they've made it harder to drive off in the dark, accidentally leaving your lights off.

Every once in a while, I have to remember to switch them off manually if I get stuck in the car with a phone call after I've shut down.

But even that's a very minor annoyance. :-)
Old 06-23-2016, 06:30 AM
Safety Car

Related News?

Owners of Honda Acura vehicles featuring the HandsFreeLink Bluetooth phone-pairing system are suing the automaker for a battery-draining defect that has plagued owners since at least 2005 despite Honda knowing about the issue, according to Hagens Berman.

The class-action lawsuit states that Honda’s HandsFreeLink feature will get stuck on even if not in use and even after the car is turned off. Once stuck, the unit creates a constant “parasitic” drain on the electric system, leading to drained and dead batteries, recurring battery replacement and premature failure of other essential electric components such as alternators.

The lawsuit cites complaints to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration detailing the defect’s safety hazard to drivers, including accounts of vehicles unexpectedly stalling during high speeds, and sudden, complete electrical failure.

If you own or lease a Honda Acura with the HandsFreeLink system, you may be entitled to compensation. Find out more about the lawsuit.

“Honda has chosen to turn its back on consumers and leave them with 2 losing options – either continue to use the HandsFreeLink system and risk being stranded with a dead battery or losing power while driving, or replace it and eat the $1000 expense of doing so with no guarantee that the replacement will function,” said Steve Berman, managing partner of Hagens Berman. “Honda would rather ignore the problem that has plagued Acura owners since 2005 than do the right thing and issue a remedy."

Acura owners are not only out the cost of potential replacement, the suit states. According to the lawsuit filed in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, owners find themselves with cars that are less valuable than comparable cars with properly functioning hands-free phone-pairing systems.

“Acura owners are faced with the choice of expensive replacement of the HandsFreeLink™ unit (in excess of $1000.00), with no promise that the replacement also will not get stuck ‘on,’ or disabling the HandsFreeLink™ system by disconnecting the HandsFreeLink™ unit from the car,” the complaint states. “Despite knowing about the issue with its HandsFreeLink™ since at least 2005, Honda has merely issued internal Service Bulletins to its dealers over the years, notifying only the dealers about the problem, but offering no meaningful solution, warranty coverage or recall.”

The complaint states that in its rush to become the 1st automaker to offer hands-free calling with its HandsFreeLink system starting with 2004 model year Acura vehicles, Honda failed to ensure the unit would reliably switch off, and also failed to adequately notify owners of the issue or remedy the problem.

“Hand-free phone calls in the car may be commonplace technology now, but when Honda 1st introduced this concept, it was novel and a luxury – something used to make its Acura model more appealing to consumers,” Berman said. “But for more than a decade, Honda has actively ignored this defect that has the potential to leave Acura owners shelling out hundreds of dollars for replacements or new batteries."

The lawsuit seeks reimbursement for vehicle owners related to the defect and an injunctive order to end Honda’s concealment of the defect and denial of warranty coverage for repairs related to the HandsFreeLink defect.

Learn more about the class-action lawsuit against Honda on behalf of Acura owners.
About Hagens Berman
Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP is a consumer-rights class-action law firm with offices in 10 cities. The firm has been named to the National Law Journal’s Plaintiffs’ Hot List 8 times. More about the law firm and its successes can be found at www.hbsslaw.com. Follow the firm for updates and news at @ClassActionLaw.

Contacts
Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP
Ashley Klann, 206-268-9363
ashleyk@hbsslaw.com
The following 3 users liked this post by TSX69:
Malibu Flyer (06-24-2016), pgeorg (06-23-2016), victorber (06-28-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 09:43 AM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts
Had my 2016 RLX, PAWS in for an oil change this week and the dealer called me to that they had replaced my battery after it failed a test. Didn't ask question so I really don't know the details.
The following 2 users liked this post by TBC787:
pgeorg (10-08-2016), victorber (10-10-2016)
Old 08-22-2017, 11:42 AM
Safety Car

Question In Related News

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-lawsuit.shtml
Acura HandsFreeLink Class-Action Lawsuit Moves Forward

Judge dismisses most of Acura HandsFreeLink lawsuit that says the systems drain car batteries.

By David A. Wood, CarComplaints.com
Posted in News
August 21, 2017 — An Acura HandsFreeLink class-action lawsuit will proceed after a federal judge allowed a few claims to continue while dismissing the majority of the class-action lawsuit.

The HandsFreeLink lawsuit has 12 named plaintiffs alleging they purchased new or used Acura vehicles equipped with defective Bluetooth and HandsFreeLink systems that caused a “parasitic drain” on their electrical systems.
Acura advertised the systems as a way for customers to connect their phones to the vehicles and enjoy hands-free phone calls and other advantages, all at a premium price.

Within a few years of purchase, the plaintiffs allegedly began to experience electronic issues with their vehicles, especially with premature dead batteries. The plaintiffs claim they were forced to purchase several new batteries at their own expense and make other costly repairs.

According to the lawsuit, the electronic systems were failing because the HandsFreeLink systems drained the batteries at unusually high rates and affected other electronic devices, such as the alternator.

The plaintiffs say Acura was aware of defects in the HandsFreeLink system because in June 2005, Honda issued a technical service bulletin (TSB) to dealers that allegedly said the HandsFreeLink system “does not work” and may cause a dead or low battery.

In addition, the problem “effectively elude[d] diagnosis" and “once the HandsFreeLink™ defect compromises the battery, the system can ‘reset,’ hiding the problem until the system gets stuck again.” More bulletins were sent to dealers in 2008 and 2012 telling dealers the only way to fix the problem was to replace the HandsFreeLink systems.

The plaintiffs also claim the problem is a safety hazard because vehicles can stop operating while on the road.

The original lawsuit was filed in 2016 and then an amended lawsuit was filed alleging 69 counts under 11 state laws related to the HandsFreeLinks problems. Acura filed its motion to dismiss all the claims because they are untimely or fail as a matter of law.

The court granted Acura's motion to dismiss implied warranty claims under Delaware, Kansas, New Hampshire, Ohio, Texas and Virginia law considering the statutes of limitations for claims arising from a contract for sale is 4 years starting from the time of sale. The judge ruled none of the claims were brought within 4 years of purchasing their vehicles and are therefore untimely.

Except for one plaintiff, the California Legal Remedies Act and Unfair Competition Law claims are dismissed without prejudice, and the Delaware, Kansas, New Hampshire, Virginia, Texas and Florida consumer protection claims are dismissed without prejudice. The consumer protection claim under Ohio is also dismissed, but with prejudice.

However, the judge did rule certain claims related to California consumer protection laws and fraudulent concealment can proceed.

The Acura HandsFreeLink lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California - Mark Gerstle, et al., v. American Honda Motor Company, Inc.

The plaintiffs are represented by Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP, Seeger Weiss, Carella, Byrne, Cecchi, Olstein, Brody & Agnello, P.C. and Baron & Budd, P.C.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:30 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
So I went away for 5 days, and when I came home my RLX wouldn't start. Accessories all worked but to actually start the car all I got was "click,click, click" and the 12v charging message. Under 15,000 miles on the car and I'm already on my second battery. I used a portable jumper to start the car and drove it to the dealer. 4 days later they are telling me the car started right away, no codes, checked alternator and starter, and tested battery. They want to let it sit one more night to see what happens. What should I do? This is ridiculous at this point. Can't wait for my lease to end.
i dont think you can leave these RLX's sitting around for too long without starting them up. Left me stranded twice at the airport while gone for a week. Dead battery, jump start got me home and all fine without replacing.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Interesting comments. Since I am traveling for business a little more that expected, I really only drive my car once a week these days. It goes Saturday to Saturday and sometimes Saturday to the following Sunday without being driven. No issues thus far with a battery failure.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:26 PM
Stealth Stylin'

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
They should be checking for parasitic draw on the battery with the car off and locked after 15-30 minutes. Shouldn't be more than 50mA.

As far as batteries go, Highly suggest you invest in an AGM battery vs Lead Acid. Their lifespan is almost double and can handle being discharged and recharged multiple times unlike lead acid batteries.

You can buy them at most auto parts stores. Highly suggest you buy online, enter in some coupon codes that can be found though google (I like the 30% off pepboys ones) and pickup the battery in store for free!
I was reading up on the AGM battery, and it says AGM batteries don't like heat & should be installed away from the engine. If that's the case, would that mean you shouldn't install this type of battery into the RLX?
Old 09-13-2017, 07:44 PM
Burning Brakes

^^
Yes I believe you should NOT use an AGM battery in the RLX. The MDX that uses the AGM battery, has a duct and a fan to cool the battery.....

HTH
Old 09-14-2017, 06:36 PM
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts
I have had an AGM battery in my RLX for about a year and a few months now with no issues - what's the risk? Premature discharge/ life? Or worse?
Old 09-15-2017, 08:38 PM
Stealth Stylin'

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AP8ESQ
I have had an AGM battery in my RLX for about a year and a few months now with no issues - what's the risk? Premature discharge/ life? Or worse?
I think all batteries pretty much don't like extreme heat or extreme cold. From what I could discern, AGM batteries do better in the cold, but heat seems to make them degrade faster. Some of the ones who have said they have "factory" AGM batteries usually have them away from the engine, like in the trunk. So my guess would be that it would limit its usable lifespan if installed next to a hot engine.
AP8ESQ (09-17-2017)
Old 01-12-2018, 06:43 PM
Cruisin'

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
My 2015 RLX battery died at 2.75 years (only 20K) in TX. It was replaced under original warranty.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:57 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
Our Paws 2016 with 34xxx miles started showing symptoms similar to TLX's in post 1. No warning on the MID. Drove for a couple of days and then took it to the dealer. They tested the battery and said it was not within normal range and replaced it without charge.
pgeorg (01-14-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 06:46 AM
Safety Car

Angry Sigh

So over the winter, I noticed there were some times that the RLX took a little longer to crank. I took it to Auto Zone & the dealership who told me that my battery was fine & they could not find anything draining it.

Last night, I was not able to start my Acura & needed a jump. Seems rather soon for a 2 year old battery. Not to mention that this is my 2nd battery on a car I have only had 3.5 years.

Anyhoo, is needing a jump normal? Other people told me it was but wanted to check. Should I still take it to the dealership even tho they just told me like a month ago it was fine? It did start normal today. I wonder if it can wait to Saturday or best to take it in right away ... ?

Thank you!
Old 03-08-2018, 09:52 AM
Burning Brakes

I would take it as soon as you can, and ask them to replace the battery again.

Its one thing for it not to start when you're home, its another when you are out and about.....

You know how long roadside assistance takes to show up.....
TSX69 (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 04:04 PM
7th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Took the 2016 RLX in for maintenance ( B13 ) at 38,000 miles. Did not have any symptoms of a battery problem, but they thought it cranked slow and checked. They replaced the battery for free. If I remember my 2008 TL had the battery replaced twice under warranty. Maybe this is a continual problem with Acura?
The following 2 users liked this post by jdrfive5:
pgeorg (03-09-2018), TSX69 (03-09-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 06:34 AM
Safety Car

Arrow Update

Took the RLX in to get checked out: they said that it was testing funky so they gave me a new battery. Great customer service bc they could have only prorated the 2 year old battery 50% off due to the 4 year warranty.

I am still a bit concerned about why I am having battery issues. They told me what I already suspected: the RLX has a lot of electronic gizmos that drain the battery. They also mentioned that people who do not drive a lot, like me, tend to have more battery issues. Not sure if that part is true.

On a side note: on the way back home, someone hit my car The police, as well as I, think that it is the other driver's fault but they are arguing it is mine so now we have to see what the insurance companies say. All of this in addition to an attempted break-in @ my home has made this a pretty bad week.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts

On a side note: on the way back home, someone hit my car The police, as well as I, think that it is the other driver's fault but they are arguing it is mine so now we have to see what the insurance companies say. All of this in addition to an attempted break-in @ my home has made this a pretty bad week.

[/font]
Double ouch. Hope things swing in your favor. Attempted break-in sounds bad, but could have been worse.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:47 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb LawSuit Update

https://www.law360.com/articles/1026...c-devices-suit

Honda Must Face Acura Drivers' 'Parasitic' Devices Suit

By Dorothy AtkinsLaw360 (March 26, 2018, 4:25 PM EDT) -- A California federal judge on Monday kept intact most of the claims in a consolidated putative class action alleging Acura cars have "parasitic" battery-draining devices for hands-free calling, declining American Honda Motor Co. Inc.’s bid to toss consumer protection and warranty claims.

In his order, U.S. District Judge Jon S. Tigar found that the drivers sufficiently alleged Honda fraudulently concealed the defect, since the company had exclusive information about the devices it withheld from drivers. Also, the judge found that the drivers sufficiently claimed the alleged...
To view the full article, register now.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:04 PM
Safety Car

Angry Ugh

My battery just died again and I needed a jump .... like a month after getting a new battery due to the same issue. This is the 3rd time in a little under 4 years.

I hope that the dealership can fix whatever is causing this issue .............

Old 05-08-2018, 05:06 AM
Too many cars

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
How long has it been since it was last started? I have an 08 Corvette and If it isn't started once every two weeks it is dead as well. It is just normal for them due to all of the electronics some which run even when the car is off. I put a battery tender on it if it isn't going to be driven for a while. What part of NC are you in?
Old 05-08-2018, 06:44 AM
Safety Car

Unhappy Daily Driver

I last used it that morning and pretty much everyday.

I am starting to wonder if it is tied to that lawsuit about the HandsFreeLink draining the battery even when the car is off. Altho it seems odd that the 1st 2 times it took about a year before it died but this time only 1 month.
My other big concern is that this time, I could not tell the battery was going bad. Previously, the car took a second or 2 longer to start and I knew something was off - this time had no hints. This concerns me even more with our MDX hybrid - as you start off in electric mode & cannot even really hear the engine when it starts.

I hope that the dealership can fix this especially since my 4 year warranty is up in 2 months.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:30 PM
Safety Car

Angry Update

So I took my RLX to the dealership and they put another new battery in there & asked that I bring it back another day for a parasitic drain test. Just had that done & they said that they could not find anything wrong so they put yet another new battery in.

This is all annoying enough as it is but my 4 year warranty is up this summer and I would hate to have this happen again and me be responsible for paying for the fix.

Not overly happy right now and I have been thinking of going Mercedes for my next ride so the GLE is starting to look better after all of this ...
Old 05-11-2018, 04:44 PM
Burning Brakes

I am so sorry TSX69 you are having this repeating problem with your car

This is not only annoying, but it can also be extremely inconvenient if it happens when you're out and about.

If it actually turns out to be the Telematics Unit that is causing the draw, then you MUST get it replaced before you warranty os over. The reason I say this, is because its extremely expensive!

Here is what it will cost you, if you are out of warranty:

The following 2 users liked this post by pgeorg:
jdrfive5 (05-15-2018), TSX69 (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 09:28 PM
yev
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
battery sensor

Can i remove the battery sensor and drive without it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery Issues