2014 P-AWS w/ KRELL

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 05:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 103 Posts
Came home from a 10 day trip and the car is dead. Out of habit, I always lock the car. Neither of the keys in the fob are working. Looks like Carmax fucked me.

Any ideas or hacks as to how I can open the car? Or do I have to wait until the morning and have Acura cut me new keys?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:49 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by I are LEGEND
Came home from a 10 day trip and the car is dead. Out of habit, I always lock the car. Neither of the keys in the fob are working. Looks like Carmax fucked me.

Any ideas or hacks as to how I can open the car? Or do I have to wait until the morning and have Acura cut me new keys?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like your car battery is dead. Cold weather and inactivity eats the RLX battery unlike any other car I’ve owned. I’ve been having to make sure I drive my car every day or my battery will act up in this cold snap. I know I need to replace it in the very near future.There is a little black toggle on the key fob. Press that while pulling and you will get the physical key to your car. This will open the doors for you to get in. Then you can pop the hood and hopefully you can either get a boost or hook up a trickle charger to get the car started. I’m surprised the fob won’t open the car if the battery is completely dead but I guess that’s the case. No way both fob batteries died in sync with the car battery... But don’t worry - there is most likely nothing wrong with your car other than it needs a new battery.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:17 PM
Burning Brakes

It's definitely a dead battery and I'm not shocked that it died. I'm an idiot for not leaving the doors unlocked or the hood up.

Both actual keys are not working. One of them doesn't even go in the whole way.

At least I learned about this issue with the car in the garage, instead of an airport parking lot or what not.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:32 PM
Pro

It's definitely a dead battery and I'm not shocked that it died. I'm an idiot for not leaving the doors unlocked or the hood up.

Both actual keys are not working. One of them doesn't even go in the whole way.

At least I learned about this issue with the car in the garage, instead of an airport parking lot or what not.
I’m glad at least your car is at home - I wondered if you were stuck somewhere. I’m sorry I misread your post - it’s your physical keys that aren’t allowing you in... Too bad they aren’t the original fobs which came with your car. I never would have thought to check that at the time of purchase...I would wait to touch base with your dealer and see what options they suggest. But it will certainly be helpful to get keys cut for your fobs - I suspect it won’t be cheap. You should get Carmax to foot the bill!
The following users liked this post:
ValdezQ26 (12-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2018, 07:46 PM
Burning Brakes

No need to apologize and yes, will have Carmax take care of this.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:33 AM
Pro

No need to apologize and yes, will have Carmax take care of this.
Were you able to get into your car? Just curious what the sequence of events and outcome was to your little adventure.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for checking in! Went to Acura and had a key cut. It was different than the one that came with the car. However, it still did not work. Called a locksmith on Tuesday afternoon but, he never shower up. The one that did yesterday didn't have the correct pick tool. His boss is scheduled to come by today and will cut a new key that is correct for the vehicle. Will let you know how it all shakes out.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:29 PM
Burning Brakes

It seems the cylinder is messed up. Someone may have tried to break into this car at some point. Had to bag the drivers side door to get in the car.
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (01-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 08:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Haven't priced out new cylinders from Acura yet but, will be doing that in the near future.

Will be upgrading a few components in the near future. Let me know what y'all think. Open to suggestions.

Suspension = BC coilovers with the Swift spring upgrade.

Brakes = Stoptech slotted cryo front rotors, Centric plain cryo rear rotors, Akebono proact pads, Goodridge ss lines and Motul fluid.

Battery = Optima yellow top.

Legend = Illuminated door sills, front lips and adjustable front headrests.
The following 2 users liked this post by I are LEGEND:
MuGen7Modulo (05-07-2018), socal3 (05-03-2023)
Old 06-06-2018, 10:01 AM
Burning Brakes

FYI, the yellow too won't work. However, the red top will.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Turns out, these cars have sensors in the battery cables and they don't read gel batteries very well. Have to take the red top back and put an OEM battery. Good news is, I'm having the dealership replace the door lock, do a valve adjustment and replace the spark plugs. Took it to them because the car cut off while driving.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Turns out, these cars have sensors in the battery cables and they don't read gel batteries very well. Have to take the red top back and put an OEM battery. Good news is, I'm having the dealership replace the door lock, do a valve adjustment and replace the spark plugs. Took it to them because the car cut off while driving.
That sounds a bit scary the car just died?? Any error codes or warning light warnings before it quit?? I have a trip from San Diego coming up in a few months for my daughters wedding in Vail and I also have a 2014 Advance and don't need to have a "unplanned" problem during my trip, although I just replaced my battery with conventional replacement and only have 39K miles ( this is my third battery BTW).
TIA and regards, Demosan
Old 06-08-2018, 06:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, it wasn't a fun experience. It cut off earlier that day as well when I shifted into R to park at work after lunch.

I'd have to imagine you'll be fine. I failed to do enough research to know that I should not have chosen a gel battery. Should have just replaced it with an OEM, which is more my style anyway.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:39 PM
Burning Brakes

On a positive note, while the car was at Acura, had them do a few things. Replaced the door cylinder, replaced the spark plugs, replaced the battery, adjusted the valves and replace the valve cover gaskets.

Just received the brake setup and hope to get that on soon.

Next up will be the coilovers!
Old 11-13-2020, 04:14 PM
Burning Brakes

I upgraded the brakes and was truly enjoying this car, but sadly a deer totaled it.

If anyone would like any of the parts I had for it, please let me know (a few are in the marketplace and the rest are on eBay).
Old 11-13-2020, 04:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Old 11-13-2020, 06:13 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I hope you and the family was unhurt in the accident. Came very close in my MDX hitting a deer north of San Antonio last summer on a 2 lane hwy. Only dodging the deer by slamming on the brakes and turning into the opposite lane (lucky no cars coming the other direction).

Any plans to replace with another RLX?