RLX Phonebook Import

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 03:30 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RLX Phonebook Import

I have a 2014 RLX. I have my iphone linked via bluetooth. It correctly links and asks to load the phonebook, however it dosen't.
I have tried removing and relinking several times, with the same result.
All phone functions work, just can't get the contacts/phone book to transfer to the car making it difficult to make a call.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:24 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
iPhones starting with iOS 11 have had problems with the Bluetooth system in the RLX. I solved my problems (phonebook not transferring to car and history showing only numbers and not contact names) by removing all contact photos from my iPhone. It appears to have something to do with the car choking on the photos while loading the phonebook under iOS 11. If you can stand the trouble of doing it, it could very well solve your problem. There are threads about this in the RLX and other Honda and Acura forums. It's a pretty widespread problem.
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (02-16-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 09:08 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by AR-Chuck
I have a 2014 RLX. I have my iphone linked via bluetooth. It correctly links and asks to load the phonebook, however it dosen't.
I have tried removing and relinking several times, with the same result.
All phone functions work, just can't get the contacts/phone book to transfer to the car making it difficult to make a call.
When I had that problem, I deleted my phone from the car’s phone list and deleted the handsfree link from my phone. I then turned off my phone and my car. I then turned my car and phone back on and restarted the link process and it worked. But the key was shutting both down and restarting.
pgeorg (02-16-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 08:58 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by fsmith
...by removing all contact photos from my iPhone.
This solves the problem for most of us.

Be wary of linking your Facebook contacts with your iPhone. That'll really screw it up.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:03 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Removing all contact photos is a workaround that seems to work for many. It, however, is not a solution to the problem. We all own fairly expensive iphones and cars and a new operating system should increase functionality, not curtail it!
Unfortunately, Apple could care less about this. I wonder if Acura salespeople are warning new customers that their contacts won't sync?
Old 02-24-2018, 11:54 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by johndt
Unfortunately, Apple could care less about this.
It's debatable whether it's Apple's fault or Honda's fault.

Apple publishes guidelines for how things should be designed to work, and warns people that if they do not do it Apple's way, it mightn't work in the future.

Unfortunately, people find workarounds and they ignore the guidelines and, sure enough, we very often find that applications and manufacturer firmware no longer works with future versions of iOS when Apple insists on doing exactly what they warned people they would be doing.
The following 2 users liked this post by George Knighton:
fsmith (02-24-2018), pgeorg (02-25-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 03:39 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by George Knighton
It's debatable whether it's Apple's fault or Honda's fault.
I think that the fact that this has not yet been fixed by Apple, despite them clearly knowing about it, through multiple iOS revisions, suggests that it is exactly as George suggests - Honda's (actually their OEM manufacturer's) fault for breaking an Apple programming rule that came into play with iOS 11. If we're lucky, Apple will find a way around it. Otherwise we're stuck with a non-upgradable BT module. I don't think we should be too quick to blame Apple for this one.
pgeorg (02-25-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 03:51 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the insight. However, I still wouldn’t be too quick to blame Honda. If ios11 was so great, it wouldn’t have required the numerous updates we have already had to install.
I understand there are two Acura technical bulletins on the matter. Hopefully, they’ll work with Apple to come up with a software fix. If not, I have a great work around - ditch my iPhone and join the Android crew!
Old 02-24-2018, 04:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Limelight

When I had that problem, I deleted my phone from the car’s phone list and deleted the handsfree link from my phone. I then turned off my phone and my car. I then turned my car and phone back on and restarted the link process and it worked. But the key was shutting both down and restarting.
When I try this, the contacts initially populate perfectly. However, they all disappear within a few minutes.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Just checking to see if the 11.3 iOS update fixed the bluetooth problems for you guys......
Old 04-03-2018, 07:21 AM
Advanced

Not Yet! A-D contacts are fine with contact photos appearing when a call is made. After that - nothing. Deleted, renamed, and re-synced phone to no avail.
pgeorg (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 08:33 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by pgeorg
Just checking to see if the 11.3 iOS update fixed the bluetooth problems for you guys......
With 11.3.6 beta, 11.4 beta and 11.3 GM, import of Contacts is perfect; however, you must continue to disable Contacts images and make sure they never show up. The main culprit across a range of users is a synchronization feature with Facebook Contacts being imported to iOS Contacts with images enabled by default.

Call quality is fine.

Pandora and Amazon Music work fine and in high quality mode over the iOS port. I stopped using Bluetooth for music, so I can't swear to that. But the cable is harder to get to work than Bluetooth so if the cable works, I'm betting that Bluetooth is fine.

I ran across some communication in an Apple Dev board where Apple continues to blame Honda and other manufacturers for taking unauthorized shortcuts that would not be supported in future versions of iOS. In this case Honda has left open a poll for Contacts images, but does not route the poll to a place that has the memory or processing power to perform the function.
pgeorg (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 12:59 PM
Pro

BTW, it's not just images being imported from Facebook. It's having images in your iPhone contacts at all, even just a few. And it's beginning to sound as though it will never be fixed. So we iPhone users will have to do wihtout contact pictures.

I'm wondering if there are any 2018 owners who have iPhones running any flavor of iOS 11 who have pictures in their contacts and have tried to sync their addressbook with the car's HandsFreeLink. Get names instead of numbers in recent calls? Get your full addressbook? One would hope that Acura's Bluetooth unit supplier would have upgraded their hardware.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:00 AM
Grandpa

Owners of the newest generation MDX are telling me that as of 11.3, their systems correctly import Contacts with images, and that the image shows up on the screen when somebody calls.

0_o
fsmith (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 05:00 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by George Knighton
Owners of the newest generation MDX are telling me that as of 11.3, their systems correctly import Contacts with images, and that the image shows up on the screen when somebody calls.
yeah
Old 05-21-2018, 06:18 PM
4th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I’m having the same issue. I disconnect the device from the car and phone then pair everything with no luck. The prompts all say the phone was successfully paired and even shows it paired on the screen. My phone book is not being downloaded to the car and my Bluetooth audio is not connecting. I’ve tried everything I can think of, but Amazon Music will not play through Bluetooth.