Infotainment RLX and MDX

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 06:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Infotainment RLX and MDX

The 2014 MDX forums are heavy on slamming the infotainment system as unusable, poor software, bad integration, digression in features etc.
Does anyone know if the RLX has the same interface, hardware, features and software as the 2014 MDX?
Old 11-27-2013, 10:44 AM
RLX Advanced #3606

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts
I wonder if the Dissing is coming from MDX Owners or others? You would think that owners would have taken the time to get familiar with the systems prior to purchasing...
Old 11-27-2013, 03:23 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
There is no way that a 30-60 mins of test driving is sufficient for anyone to get familiar with the complicated Dual-screen system (and also with the one-calibration ride quality of the vehicle that doesn't have adjustable damping suspension).

Even with my experience with the 4G TL system, the 3G MDX Dual-screen system is nothing similar.

Presumably the RLX has the same system as the 3G MDX. Correct me if I was wrong.

It is a whole new learning curve, and will take days, if not weeks, especially for new Acura owners to fully familiar and to discover bugs with the new Dual-screen system.

However, if a dealership is willing to let potential buyers to test drive a new vehicle for a whole week, that's a different story. But I wonder if any Acura dealership is willing to do this ?
Old 11-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
the system is the same between both vehicles. For the most part I'm happy with it but there are some major issues that I wish would be resolved. Mainly the overall poor performance and responsiveness of the UI and input controls. It feels like its running on Windows 3.1 with a 33MHz processor...:| Shameful for a car of this price.

My other major issues revolve around the "safety mechanisms" that practically cripple the system from being used when the car is moving. Again they went way overboard on "safety" on these new gen models.

I posted a pretty thorough list of improvements I'd like to see to the Nav / Entertainment system on a separate thread.
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (12-09-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 07:49 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

Even better is to create a new "Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics & Navigation" sub-forum, just like other vehicle models in AZ.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

I think that would be a great idea. At the very least it would certainly help provide a more focused discussion around what's good and bad about the current direction of their navigation systems.

As much as I love my RLX, I have to agree this is one area for me that the competition is definitely surpassing Acura. And as much as Acura likes to use "technology" as a key differentiator to separate themselves in the market space, they need to step up their game big time. From my perspective, it's ridiculous that a $400-$500 smartphone can run circles around a $3000-$5000 navigation system in a car. There simply is no excuse for this other than poor product management, lack of vision, lack of R&D or a combination of all of these. The race to get something out quickly is evident in the new gen navigation systems and frankly they feel "dated". What frustrates me even more is that the navigation system in the lower end models (ILX, TL) performs better and far more functional, useable and organized well. My wife's ILX navigation system performs better than my RLX. Shameful, again, no excuse. Period.
jhr3uva90 (11-29-2013)
Old 11-28-2013, 06:22 PM
RLX Advanced #3606

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

Even better is to create a new "Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics & Navigation" sub-forum, just like other vehicle models in AZ.

How bout it Neuronbob^^^

Last edited by victorber; 11-28-2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: editing
Old 11-29-2013, 10:52 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
These systems require more user readiness training than a 30 minute pre delivery overview. Just ask Ford (Sync & MyFordTouch) and Cadillac (CUE). Cadillac even anticipated this and gave away iPads with training software and had dealers dedicate advisors specifically to train buyers and to provide direct technical support for customers.

Yet with all that, the systems are still getting slammed.

Most people, especially people who buy cars at these prices (who are typically more mature) are not techno savvy.
victorber (11-29-2013)
Old 11-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
To me, it makes sense that a smartphone is more advanced than a car's navigation system. A smartphone gets replaced every couple of years, so smartphone manufacturers don't have to really support old stuff. Also, it takes years for a car's system to complete its process of development, testing, and implementation -- much longer than a smartphone.

Personally, I don't see where the infotainment systems on the Lexus GS or the "car formerly known as Infiniti M37" are substantially better or easier to use than Acura's

Originally Posted by holografique
I think that would be a great idea. At the very least it would certainly help provide a more focused discussion around what's good and bad about the current direction of their navigation systems.

As much as I love my RLX, I have to agree this is one area for me that the competition is definitely surpassing Acura. And as much as Acura likes to use "technology" as a key differentiator to separate themselves in the market space, they need to step up their game big time. From my perspective, it's ridiculous that a $400-$500 smartphone can run circles around a $3000-$5000 navigation system in a car. There simply is no excuse for this other than poor product management, lack of vision, lack of R&D or a combination of all of these. The race to get something out quickly is evident in the new gen navigation systems and frankly they feel "dated". What frustrates me even more is that the navigation system in the lower end models (ILX, TL) performs better and far more functional, useable and organized well. My wife's ILX navigation system performs better than my RLX. Shameful, again, no excuse. Period.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:59 PM
RLX Advanced #3606

I agree with what is being said but I would tend to believe, at least in my case that I was so overwhelmed with the amount of technology that I had to read the manuals twice, and that was before I took possession.... and again, while setting in the car and going thru the multiple operations just to become "system familiar". I suppose If I had came from a RL the learning curve would not have been so steep.

I still find myself in awe each time I get behind the wheel...

My 09TL Tech didn't have anywhere near what is available in the RLX-A. I can't complain much about the speed at which the systems operate, any faster I would probably forget what I was doing! I'm in awe that I can find my way around the car and operate it without asking for help.

Love this car!!!
a35tl (11-29-2013)
Old 11-29-2013, 08:49 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
This is a pretty good article that explains the gap in technology between your phone and other consumer electronics and your car.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...rs_out_of_date
2011TL (11-29-2013)
Old 11-29-2013, 11:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

you guys are all misreading what I said when
comparing the Nav system to a smartphone.

I am talking about the "speed" and how fast the
system responds to user input. I am NOT talking
about the features and/or what you can actually
do with it. Of course I expect my smartphone to do
more than a car system. But again I am talking
about the "responsiveness" of the system. It is VERY
sluggish and simply sitting down and comparing it
to how quick and snappy the Nav system responds in
my wife's 2013 ILX is clear proof that something
is wrong! I dont even have to go to another brand and
compare it. The ILX at half the price of my RLX has
faster more responsiveness and snappier interface that
feels much more "realtime", where as on the RLX
you are constantly waiting for the system to think
about responding to a push of a button or turning the
data wheel. it's just very sluggish and feels like an old
computer being overworked. again poor design for a
car of this price.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ HAve you tried another RLX and confirmed that all RLX are like this? I agree that the RLX and ILX should have the same responsiveness...unacceptable that their entry level sedan has a more effective interface than their flagship?

Or does Acura engineers feel that only VERY OLD PEOPLE with arthritis will buy this sedan and since their joint discomfort will required more input time anyway, might as well the system react slower (J/k)

Holografique....Please don't think I am making fun of you, au contraire, I am poking fun at Acura as I agree with you 150%!!
victorber (11-30-2013)
Old 11-30-2013, 12:54 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^

Or does Acura engineers feel that only VERY OLD PEOPLE with arthritis will buy this sedan and since their joint discomfort will required more input time anyway, might as well the system react slower (J/k)
I resemble that comment!
victorber (11-30-2013)
Old 11-30-2013, 10:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by weather
^^ HAve you tried another RLX and confirmed that all RLX are like this? I agree that the RLX and ILX should have the same responsiveness...unacceptable that their entry level sedan has a more effective interface than their flagship?

Holografique....Please don't think I am making fun of you, au contraire, I am poking fun at Acura as I agree with you 150%!!
I test drove an Advanced a couple months prior to purchasing mine, and unfortunately I don't remember at the time whether it felt as sluggish as mine or not. I agree that I need to go back to a dealer in the area and try it out, because man it's just ridiculous. There is literally close to a 1-second delay in response to any user input. whether it's using the jog wheel, moving the jog wheel in any direction, and especially when typing using the qwerty touch-keyboard on the 2nd LCD screen. Sometimes waiting upto 2-3 seconds for it to respond when switching between the various modes (Nav, Phone, Info, Audio)

I'm going to see if I can stop by a a dealer that is just up the street to see how it compares.

Last edited by holografique; 11-30-2013 at 10:28 PM.