Apple Carplay and Android Auto into RLX

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 04:56 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Apple Carplay and Android Auto into RLX

Hey Guys,
Just got my 2014 RLX PAWS and wanted to add Android Auto. Had to dump by 2002 Acura TL after 350k Miles. Tranmission is whining and jumping out of gear.
Anyways, I saw this on youtube and I know Navtool is pretty reputable.
Posting to see if anyone else has done this.

Planning to add this and wireless charging to the car.

-Ken
The following users liked this post:
rwbentley777 (01-14-2019)
Old 12-04-2018, 12:51 PM
16’ RLX SH-AWD

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Finally Works

I did the install first Friday in November, but it didn’t work. After working with support (very responsive) through that weekend it was determined that the RLX controls are different than what they were used to. Yesterday they were able to publish a firmware update to officially get CarPlay working. HDMI screen mirroring isn’t working for me at the moment, but I’m more interested in CarPlay first anyways.

It is 100% plug and play, no wire splicing and the control are through the factory jog shuttle and directional pad. I’m still getting used to the controls, but Waze on the screen is fantastic.
GizmoPDX (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 01:20 PM
Advanced

Hey KRock,

I just tried to install it over the weekend and it didn't work. It wouldn't do carplay or android auto.

Can you take a screen shot of which software you used? I was talking them on Sunday and they said there was a software bug.

Let me know! Right now I have a $500 paper weight and the entire guts of my car laying in the cabin.

I took detailed pictures and also do a write up of the entire process.

Thanks in advance.

-Ken

Originally Posted by K.Rock

I did the install first Friday in November, but it didn’t work. After working with support (very responsive) through that weekend it was determined that the RLX controls are different than what they were used to. Yesterday they were able to publish a firmware update to officially get CarPlay working. HDMI screen mirroring isn’t working for me at the moment, but I’m more interested in CarPlay first anyways.

It is 100% plug and play, no wire splicing and the control are through the factory jog shuttle and directional pad. I’m still getting used to the controls, but Waze on the screen is fantastic.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:01 PM
16’ RLX SH-AWD

Try doing the update again. The told me yesterday that they had released an update that would work.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:14 PM
Advanced

Yeah I just pinged them and they fixed it they said.... Hopefully my paper weight is going to do something tonight.

Thanks!

Try doing the update again. The told me yesterday that they had released an update that would work.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:16 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by slider2828
Yeah I just pinged them and they fixed it they said.... Hopefully my paper weight is going to do something tonight.

Thanks!
Did this work out?

There's probably quite a few of us who'd be interested in this.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:16 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
...but Waze on the screen is fantastic.
And the Waze instructions and warnings play over the car's audio system, just as they ought to?

You have a 2016, so I assume we're talking Advance package and Krell Audio?
Old 12-05-2018, 05:47 PM
16’ RLX SH-AWD

Originally Posted by George Knighton
And the Waze instructions and warnings play over the car's audio system, just as they ought to?

You have a 2016, so I assume we're talking Advance package and Krell Audio?
Yes I am a 2016 Advanced and Krell.
The NavTool has a several T interface wires and one of them intercepts the AUX signal at the back of the screen. You run jumper RCAs from the NavTool to these RCAs. Then the sounds is all piped in through the Aux input.

Disclaimer: It’s highly recommended to not go this route and instead run cables to the 3.5mm Aux input at the console. I have quite a bit of ground loop interference. I’m going to eventually take my T Aux cable out and do this, but temporarily I put in a ground loop isolator and that has seemed to eliminate the noise. I ended up mounting my NavTool in the glovebox. I had to take the glovebox out to put in lighted door sills, so it has worked out great because it makes it really easy to update the firmware.

CarPlay sound input has a separate Mic input that you have to use. I haven’t hooked mine up yet to test. But even with CarPlay you can still make and receive calls over Bluetooth just fine. You cannot use Siri without the Mic hooked up.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:07 AM
Advanced

Hey Guys,

Sorry to go dark on this. Was just having a bunch of issues with Android.

I guess I will do a step by step tomorrow. I detailed my installation in hopes to help out fellow members here. I installed it the exact same way in the video by T-ing into RCAs and don't get any interference. I am also RLX Advance with Krell.

All audio is piped through the system. I installed mine deep into the throat of the console stack. Seems to work fine and to my surprise it there is enough room. All the wires pipe out into the driver side, so technically no one can see it unless you know where to pull up the wire.

HDMI to mini DVI tested out fine on my laptop, so that connection is fine.

But Android Auto keeps on crashing and freezing. They are claiming that you need to be on Android Pie and with the latest Android. (This pissed me off as most people other than Pixel phones don't have Pie yet.)

So Android auto right now is useless garbage at least on my Samsun S8+.

Will be back to add pictures soon!

-ken

Old 12-12-2018, 06:29 AM
16’ RLX SH-AWD

The reason I put my in the glovebox is that way I can get to it to apply updates or change cables, etc.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:00 AM
Advanced

Old 12-15-2018, 04:29 AM
Advanced

Previous Post, I can't delete.

So Here is a quick step by Step
K Rock Put up the install video. Watch it a few times to get familiar.

This video also helped me understand how to take all the trims apart.

At this moment in time, 12/15/2018, Android Auto DOES NOT work. It starts and crashes on my S8+. Navtool says its because the system requires Pie which is Android 9 and unless you have a Pixel 3, I can't get it work.
I will update this thread as I will downgrade from Oreo to Nougat to see if that fixes the problem, but YMMV.

Tools - Quarter inch ratchet with a 10mm on it and a short extension. Must have.
Screw Driver - Philips medium and Small spade screw driver. Must have.
Allen wrench set - Must have.
RCA Left and Right Cable. Must have.

Whats in the package

Initial Setup on the software which is required

Start by removing driver side right leg kick panel. Literally just yank

Pull the center joystick column out. Literally put your finger where the little end of each side of the joystick column and pull towards you. This thing is on tight and there is nothing to jimmy. Just pull as hard as you can.

Once done remove all the cables. They are all just little tabs that you push in to release the cable from the socket. There is one upside down as shown in the below picture

Once the cables are all out, I turned on the car and shift it into neutral to give me more room to remove the joystick column.

After joystick column is removed, use that 1/4" drive 10mm socket and look up at the center console. You will see darker screw with the philips in the middle. THAT is the screw you need to remove on both sides.

Once you have taken out two of those screws, its time to remove the passenger side heater grill. Its one piece and you pull on the end nearest to the passenger side door. It just comes out. BUT BECAREFUL, once you pop a few out, there is a little wire to the sensor.

This little wire. Unclip and move on

Pull out the other heater trim that surrounds the center screen by also tugging on the lower right hand side. Once again BECAREFUL! There is a little cable attached to the heater sensor.

This little bastard

Once those are removed and there are a few more philips screws visible in the front. Just remove them and ignore my finger in the picture. It just points to where you yank.

Once you yank the whole think will come out. I basically removed all the cabling to see what I am working with.

These are the 2 plugs you splice in with the new harness

This is the digial video feed cable. It replaces the current cable.

Once you follow the youtube video and connect everything. You need to remove the top screen. To do so there is a philips screw in the ceiling of the bezel. remove it. Then take a screw driver and remove the bezel as well

Now there is another screw that holds the top part of the screen in. Remove the screw.

Now this part is nerve racking because the screen is literally clipped in 4 spots. As you can see I used as BIG as an allen wrench I could fit in there. As close to the lower left and / or right hand corner of the screen, I pulled as HARD as I could. I used latex gloves to give me more grip for pulling.
It will eventually pop out a little. Once it does, just angle it to the right and remove the digital cable and stick in the new one and pass it down to the center screen section and connect to the Navtool hub.

Once that is done. Test the hub before putting everything back.

To test, you need to go to the Auxiliary Audio screen and hold the Back Button. The secret menu will now pop up. Test your android auto or car play.

I even tested the HDMI screen mirroring and it looks good.

Once all the testing is done. I stuck my hub way into the throat of the car. It literally will lay flat to the hump / psuedo tranny tunnel there. I pointed the cables for HDMI, Android Auto / Carplay USB-C or Lightning Cable, and the USB update cable towards the driver side.
This will allow me quick access to the cables.
The following 2 users liked this post by slider2828:
George Knighton (12-15-2018), kingofire (12-17-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 10:04 PM
16’ RLX SH-AWD

The agony of pulling out the top screen. I got stuck on that for like an hour. I was concerned with pulling thinking that there was a screw I was missing. Then I looked up the parts on a oem parts site and then my jaw dropped at how much that screen costs. That made me even more nervous about pulling it out.

Every other cable is a T cable, why couldn’t they just have a T cable for the screen or at least connect both at the cable you unplug from the back of the radio.

What is is interesting is your HDMI works and mine doesn’t. They are planning to post a second update after Christmas. I have inconsistencies with the reverse camera showing while in CarPlay and the front camera never shows when pressing the camera button.

Microphone: Where did you place the Mic at?
Firmware Updates: How are you going to unplug it to post a firmware update?
Old 12-19-2018, 01:38 AM
Advanced

Responded in Line.

The agony of pulling out the top screen. I got stuck on that for like an hour. I was concerned with pulling thinking that there was a screw I was missing. Then I looked up the parts on a oem parts site and then my jaw dropped at how much that screen costs. That made me even more nervous about pulling it out.

Every other cable is a T cable, why couldn’t they just have a T cable for the screen or at least connect both at the cable you unplug from the back of the radio.

This was definitely the toughest part, but I think with a strong allen wrench and right against the bottom corner, it should pull out.

What is is interesting is your HDMI works and mine doesn’t. They are planning to post a second update after Christmas. I have inconsistencies with the reverse camera showing while in CarPlay and the front camera never shows when pressing the camera button.

So I got it working by using a HDMI to MINI-DVI port on my laptop. I think its a resolution issue. Trying changing 1024x768 or better on your source. I think it will work

Is there a schedule? How did you know they are getting an update?

Microphone: Where did you place the Mic at?

I snaked it through to the left hand side of the steering column. In my experience its best mounted in line of your mouth. Never works well anywhere in the ceiling.

Firmware Updates: How are you going to unplug it to post a firmware update?

I have 3 cables that are permanently ran in between the center console and drivers chair. So I never need to pull out the unit or any covers.

lausy (05-07-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 02:05 AM
I can divide by zero

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Oooh, so glad I ran into this. Need to get this for the MDX and I see that they have an option for my Silverado too. Temping on the Silverado since I was planning on just replacing the head unit with the new Alpine mechless unit.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:28 AM
Advanced

They were having issues with Google Android Auto, so there is an RMA out for it. But if you have an iPhone, Carplay works fine!
Old 01-25-2019, 03:53 AM
I can divide by zero

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
They were having issues with Google Android Auto, so there is an RMA out for it. But if you have an iPhone, Carplay works fine!
Damn. Too good to be true. LOL
Old 01-25-2019, 09:54 AM
Cruisin'

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
I read a lot about navtool throughout these forums - they have a pretty terrible history on these boards. NAVIKS is the other company. That being said, it seems like both of you have had success with getting the navtool unit to legitimately work in your RLX. I have a 2014 RLX PAWS Advance /w Krell.

Two questions:
1. On their website I see a carplay system for ~$500 and an HDMI system on sale for ~ $330. Where is Android Auto listed?
2. I see varying success with HDMI mirroring. Can ya'll speak to that a bit? Is it working for you? Not working for you?

Thank you much.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:44 AM
16’ RLX SH-AWD

Originally Posted by amthar
I read a lot about navtool throughout these forums - they have a pretty terrible history on these boards. NAVIKS is the other company. That being said, it seems like both of you have had success with getting the navtool unit to legitimately work in your RLX. I have a 2014 RLX PAWS Advance /w Krell.

Two questions:
1. On their website I see a carplay system for ~$500 and an HDMI system on sale for ~ $330. Where is Android Auto listed?
2. I see varying success with HDMI mirroring. Can ya'll speak to that a bit? Is it working for you? Not working for you?

Thank you much.
I’m a Apple guy, but I believe that the CarPlay version is both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

I haven’t tried HDMI mirror since my initial install. With CarPlay the software 85% of the time will crash with 1 minute of your first connection. Then unplug, wait a minute, plug it back in, then it will re-engage the CarPlay and work for my entire drive.

I haven’t hooked up my mic yet to test Siri or in car phone through CarPlay, I’m still using built in hands free.

They are supposed to be releasing an update next week to resolve this. I’ve also asked them to fix that the Camera button switches to the screen for the camera. I have 16 Adv that has the 360 camera. There is a button on the dash opposite of NAV button to turn on front/side camera when below a certain speed.

I would buy again.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:24 PM
16’ RLX SH-AWD

HDMI Mirror Update:
Flashed to latest update and now HDMI mirror is working for me.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:11 AM
Cruisin'

Two additional questions.

1. You're using CarPlay, but you still have to interact with your iPhone, correct? The upper nav screen that navtool takes over isn't a touch screen.
2. Where/how are you mounting your iphone in the RLX? I'm struggling to find a good place to put my phone. I'm not comfortable using an air vent mount or a CD slot mount - I've seen them break air vents and CD slots all too often.

Thanks again for all your insight into this.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:21 AM
16’ RLX SH-AWD

Originally Posted by amthar
Two additional questions.

1. You're using CarPlay, but you still have to interact with your iPhone, correct? The upper nav screen that navtool takes over isn't a touch screen.
2. Where/how are you mounting your iphone in the RLX? I'm struggling to find a good place to put my phone. I'm not comfortable using an air vent mount or a CD slot mount - I've seen them break air vents and CD slots all too often.

Thanks again for all your insight into this.
CarPlay interaction is done with factory controls just like in the demo video.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by C25A1guy
Damn. Too good to be true. LOL
Hey Guys, just an update. They got a bad version of Android Auto. I RMAed and they Fedexed it back the next day. Guess what? It works great now!!! Even faster response on AA. Buy with confidence. Loving it all the way!
Old 03-17-2019, 02:30 AM
16’ RLX SH-AWD

That’s great news!!!
Old 03-17-2019, 02:35 AM
Advanced

That’s great news!!!
Yeah man thanks! I drove my car all day cause I was so ecstatic.

I am going to put a chromecast on the HDMI port to see if I can get streaming to work lol.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:17 AM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey there, I just installed this yesterday in my 2016 RLX Sport Hybird with advanced.. Everything seems to work pretty well with Carplay, but HDMI mirroring is spotty for sure.. Sometimes it works, sometimes it just dims the screen (fades to white) when I plug in the HDMI adapter (Official Apple one).. Also as someone posted earlier, my front camera does not come on when slowing down.. Does when I go in to reverse, but not automatically.. Is anyone's working.. I sent Navtool a pic and a vidoe of the HDMI issue, and they suggested I wait for the new firmware.. But did not get a reply about when that was going to be out.. Have to say overall happy, kind of a amazing that they got all this to work as well as they have.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jwadle22
Hey there, I just installed this yesterday in my 2016 RLX Sport Hybird with advanced.. Everything seems to work pretty well with Carplay, but HDMI mirroring is spotty for sure.. Sometimes it works, sometimes it just dims the screen (fades to white) when I plug in the HDMI adapter (Official Apple one).. Also as someone posted earlier, my front camera does not come on when slowing down.. Does when I go in to reverse, but not automatically.. Is anyone's working.. I sent Navtool a pic and a vidoe of the HDMI issue, and they suggested I wait for the new firmware.. But did not get a reply about when that was going to be out.. Have to say overall happy, kind of a amazing that they got all this to work as well as they have.
That's great! I am glad its working for you. I know carplay definitely worked well. The HDMI, I feel like maybe it needs time to boot up because the hand shake is weird? I feel like after 2-3 minutes after boot up of Navtool, it works perfectly. I wish they had a wait boot up screen.

Was my guide helpful at all? Let me know how I can improve it.

-Ken
Old 03-18-2019, 03:11 PM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's great! I am glad its working for you. I know carplay definitely worked well. The HDMI, I feel like maybe it needs time to boot up because the hand shake is weird? I feel like after 2-3 minutes after boot up of Navtool, it works perfectly. I wish they had a wait boot up screen.

Was my guide helpful at all? Let me know how I can improve it.

-Ken
That's a good point, I may have to just wait a bit longer... And yes your guide was VERY helpful... I actually pulled out the top of the center console to run the cables to the center counsel.. So much room under there since there is no longer a "real" shifter
slider2828 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 09:48 AM
Advanced

Check these out guys!!! Chromecast to HDMI. And the speakers are so awesome!!!!!

Nee HDMI Coupler and Chromemcast

Video in next post

Jobie (07-24-2022)
Old 03-23-2019, 09:54 AM
Advanced

Here is the video?

The base is amazing and sound is just like a 5.1

Jobie (07-24-2022)
Old 04-07-2019, 07:42 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm looking to install this in a 2014 Acura MDX for CarPlay and Android Auto. I will not be using the HDMI or camera functionalities.

I have a few questions for the people who've installed it already:

1) I'm assuming it will function exactly the same as the RLX, correct?

2) Does this cause any issues with the stock infotainment system?

3) Does it affect Bluetooth calling or streaming? (Does a call come in while using either system normally and answer via steering controls?)

4) My wife uses and iPhone and I use Android. How is the overall stability for CarPlay & Android Auto?

5) Have you noticed any issues with

Thanks
Old 04-08-2019, 03:37 PM
Advanced

Response in line

Originally Posted by rmjse
I'm looking to install this in a 2014 Acura MDX for CarPlay and Android Auto. I will not be using the HDMI or camera functionalities.

I have a few questions for the people who've installed it already:

1) I'm assuming it will function exactly the same as the RLX, correct?

There is an MDX version. So get the right version. On their youtube channel there is a 2014 MDX installation video

2) Does this cause any issues with the stock infotainment system?

Nope exact as stock. Basically its just a screen bypass with patched in knob / button functions

3) Does it affect Bluetooth calling or streaming? (Does a call come in while using either system normally and answer via steering controls?)

It shouldn't. I forget hahaha... But call out is seemless

4) My wife uses and iPhone and I use Android. How is the overall stability for CarPlay & Android Auto?

0 Problems. Rock solid now

5) Have you noticed any issues with

Nope.... Use it everyday for my 1.5 hour commute. Love it.

Thanks
Old 04-08-2019, 10:14 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the reply. From Navtools YouTube videos, it looks like you have keep the system in Aux mode, is this correct? If so, does that mean you cannot listen to the radio while using navigation or you won't hear the navigation prompts?
Old 04-08-2019, 10:32 PM
Advanced

Correct. I dont even listen to radio any more when you can stream tidal, pandora, or spotify, or podscasts at better quality than radio. But the nav screen is still google so its good enough

Ken
Old 04-30-2019, 01:46 PM
Cruisin'

Navtool nervousness

I've been closely following this thread, because I so desperately want this product/solution to work. But I remain nervous about NavTool. About a month or so ago I reached out to NavTool via Facebook messenger, asking them which of their products supported Android Auto (because on their website it only says Apple CarPlay). I also asked them about the compatibility issues their product was having with Android Oreo/Pie etc. They said they were not experiencing any issues, and wanted to know where I heard about such issues.

For those of you who don't know, there is a pretty large thread on these forums related to NavTool, and some pretty terrible experiences people on here previously had with them. I've even seen where NavTool was creating fake accounts to post glowing feedback about their product.

All that being said, it's obvious to me that Slider and K.Rock are not NavTool schills, but I remain nervous. I don't want to part with >$500+ and deal with an awful experience.

Ultimately, I want to be able to mirror my Samsung S9+ (running Pie) on the screen, mostly so I can easily see Waze.

So, ya'll would do this all again? In the classic words of Mulder, I want to believe!
slider2828 (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 04:16 PM
Advanced

Hey amthar,

Truthfully I hate the infotainment in the RLX. Gezzus.... I had basically a better infotainment in my 02 TL than this car hahaha....

All the bugs are basically worked out. It's how being a pioneer works hahaha...

Also there is no reason to screen mirror because Waze is an approved Android Auto app, so it will just default maps to Waze instead of Google Apps.

It is very stable until you close the door on your cable LOL....

Good luck and ask questions.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:39 PM
16’ RLX SH-AWD

When the device works, it’s great. As far as I’m aware, there isn’t an alternative option.

Buy knowing what to expect from a customer service. They can be responsive, but delay on results. I’d been chasing a firmware update since Christmas, then was told that the upgrade was complicated. It took another month for them to get me the instructions and send the image files through Dropbox. It didn’t work and ended up having to UPS it back to them. They couldn’t generate a shipping label for me, but promised to reimburse me.

I shall see how better this next version is.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:13 PM
Advanced

So its not working for you KRock? I got mine back from upgrade after a week. Mine been great!!!
Old 05-01-2019, 06:05 PM
16’ RLX SH-AWD

So its not working for you KRock? I got mine back from upgrade after a week. Mine been great!!!
Ordered first week October - took 3 weeks to ship. First package didn’t have correct T based cables. New order received within a week with correct cables.
Installed 11/02, then the fun got worse
First firmware - didn’t work at all. They had to get a RLX to understand how the back button worked to get it to work.
12/03- new firmware release
Second firmware V5, CarPlay rock solid, but HDMI Mirror doesn’t.
Third firmware V7, HDMI Mirror worked, CarPlay worked for 25 minutes
Forth firmware V8, USB Update HDMI Mirror worked, CarPlay didn’t work.

NavTool has had it for a week now.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:47 PM
Advanced

Ordered first week October - took 3 weeks to ship. First package didn’t have correct T based cables. New order received within a week with correct cables.
Installed 11/02, then the fun got worse
First firmware - didn’t work at all. They had to get a RLX to understand how the back button worked to get it to work.
12/03- new firmware release
Second firmware V5, CarPlay rock solid, but HDMI Mirror doesn’t.
Third firmware V7, HDMI Mirror worked, CarPlay worked for 25 minutes
Forth firmware V8, USB Update HDMI Mirror worked, CarPlay didn’t work.

NavTool has had it for a week now.
Weird hope you get it fixed. I haven't had any issues since my install. You saw the video for my Avengers screen mirror and Google's been so solid.....
Keep us updated!

Quick Reply: Apple Carplay and Android Auto into RLX