Where Are They Now?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 08:56 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Where Are They Now?

New Acura RLX Sport Hybrid - in 30311 - on Cars.com

I don't know if (url) works the way that I think it should be working, but there's still a hundred Sport Hybrid still available!

:-)
The following users liked this post:
Tonyware (12-09-2014)
Old 12-07-2014, 02:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,005 Likes on 534 Posts
Many potential buyers may be waiting for news on the rumored 2016 model year changes or full MMC before pulling the trigger on a 2014, which explains why the available Sport Hybrids haven't all been scooped up by now.

I'm planning to wait and see what the 2016 brings to the table before pulling the trigger although the sales rep that I deal with at my local Acura dealership has been in contact a few times trying to lure me in for a test drive (they have one Sport Hybrid in stock). So far, I've managed to avoid the temptation by insisting that he agree to offer me $10K off MSRP on the 2014 Sport Hybrid before I'll take it for a drive. So far, the best he will do is $3k off (which is interesting because he has earlier told me that the PAWS RLX's in stock can be had for $8K+ off before any negotiation). The wait is killing me, but so far the logical side of my brain is winning out over the emotional desire I have to run down and buy a Sport Hybrid tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts
I'm not surprised at all, since Acura is in stealth mode on the Sport Hybrid, so only people like us on Acurazine are even aware the car has been released, coupled with greedy dealers looking to cash in on a scarce commodity by trying to hold the line on discounts. As covered on other discussions on Acurazine, the whole lack of RLX marketing is a debacle. I can't believe it every time I see the holiday ad on TV that does not have Acura's flagship vehicle - a real joke.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:09 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
The wait is killing me, but so far the logical side of my brain is winning out over the emotional desire I have to run down and buy a Sport Hybrid tomorrow.
I vote "emotional" (not that you asked for my vote). I understand that I am not in your shoes, but for me, looking back at all the car-buying opportunities I looked at and passed up over the past two years, I am absolutely certain that for me the Sport Hybrid was and is the best car in its class. And it lives up to the bar set by my '06 RL. And besides, the six of us want more company. C'mon, be crazy.

Last edited by fsmith; 12-07-2014 at 07:12 PM.
hondamore (12-07-2014)
Old 12-07-2014, 07:11 PM
Grandpa

Ten grand off MSRP might be a pipe dream for a while.

I don't think they have the holdback and incentives to play with.

The Sport Hybrid Advance MSRP is only five grand more than the FWD Advance.

You can tell the beans weren't counted.

When the dealers have to start paying interest on them, that's when they'll come down some. But 10K off...I'm not sure about that.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:20 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by George Knighton
In addition to the dealers not being given any money to play with by Acura, as far as we know there were only 250 of these in North America. It is hard to imagine that another 100 buyers won't find the 100 remaining cars.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Pro

It's just amazing to me that this car is a secret.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

When the dealers have to start paying interest on them, that's when they'll come down some. But 10K off...I'm not sure about that.
Thanks George.
The unobtainable pricing demands are more a function of my wanting to wait until news of the 2016 model year Sport Hybrid RLX specs start to leak out than it is a realistic negotiation.

I've always held on to my vehicles for 8 to 10 years and that is the primary reason that I want to wait for any or all 2016 model year information. I am 100% convinced that the RLX Sport Hybrid is an amazing car and will be my next drive, I just don't want to regret waiting a few more months to POSSIBLY get a few more features/goodies added to an already great car.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:02 PM
Grandpa

... a few more months to POSSIBLY get a few more features/goodies added to an already great car.
Oh, I think that 2016 might very well see more features. :-)

Electronics are taking another turn with the New Legend's "Honda Sensing" technology, with is a step beyond Advance. I don't know what North America's version would be, but it sounds pretty good.

Ironing out some of the odd infotainment and voice command silliness would be welcome, too, I have to say.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:03 PM
Grandpa

Maybe IDS suspension in 2016? 0_0
holografique (12-08-2014)
Old 12-07-2014, 08:32 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts

FYI, You can get the 2015 RLX Advance for $52 to $56k now, which put the SH AWD $13 to $9k higher.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Looks like about half the RLX hybrids are still available if it is true that 250 were built. I counted 101 yesterday, 21 of them Advance, on cars.com. If you want an Advance, better act quick.

What a stealth "marketing" effort Acura has here. Because there is no marketing effort, Acura is effectively using current owners the same way Apple did back in the late 90's, when Guy Kawasaki was an "Apple Evangelist", and Mac User Groups all over the country were trying to get people to buy Mac instead of PC.
hondamore (12-08-2014)
Old 12-08-2014, 12:57 PM
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
I also believe it is a combination of factors that have led to the 100 cars still sitting in dealers inventory. This car is a tour de force but the dealers thought they had a hot commodity on their hands and some were asking above sticker in some instances, restricting test drives, and combined with the fact there is no lease support and these cars are almost one year old has left myself and a few others on the board taking the rational approach and waiting for the 2016 improvements, better availability, fresh newly built car, and a reasonable lease. I appreciate that all but Bob have purchased this car but the reality is most cars in this price range are leased, even by those who can afford to purchase-they just choose to lease for many reasons.

I was close to emotionally obtaining one but I am now happy to wait.
hondamore (12-08-2014)
Old 12-08-2014, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

That is a logical and rational approach, Pens Fan.

I was disappointed by the lack of lease support but at least my dealer didn't do the "market value charge" thing. In fact, I did get a *small* discount in deference to my long customer relationship with that dealership. Well, I guess I made up for paying over 12% off for my 2G RL back in the day.

My consolation is that perhaps by the time my lease is over, perhaps there will be new, more enticing sheet metal for the RLX with more features?

Last edited by neuronbob; 12-08-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by neuronbob
What a stealth "marketing" effort Acura has here. Because there is no marketing effort, Acura is effectively using current owners the same way Apple did back in the late 90's, when Guy Kawasaki was an "Apple Evangelist", and Mac User Groups all over the country were trying to get people to buy Mac instead of PC.
Guy Kawasaki seeded me a Mac in Cupertino just before the 1984 release. My then-5-year old daughter had her first computer experience using MacPaint. This of course has nothing to do with RLXs, and so has no place on this forum. Sorry, but you brought it up!
neuronbob (12-27-2014)
Old 12-08-2014, 06:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Looks like about half the RLX hybrids are still available if it is true that 250 were built. I counted 101 yesterday, 21 of them Advance, on cars.com. If you want an Advance, better act quick.

I assume that any marketing campaign that Acura has planned for the RLX and/or RLX Sport Hybrid will wait until the 2016 model year units are almost ready to hit dealer lots. It appears they wish to sweep the 2014 Sport Hybrids under the rug so they don't have to explain why they are selling a year later than they should have and to that end, they want the public to just forget they exist until the new 2016 units are ready to "relaunch". Hopefully the 2nd launch will have a little more support than the first launch which got cut off at the knees by whatever issue caused the sales delay.
The following 2 users liked this post by hondamore:
acuranj18 (12-08-2014), neuronbob (12-08-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 04:48 AM
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts
I am worried about all the compromises of the Hybrid:

1. Non-passionate feel, as described by most critics
2. Worry of gremlins, based on the delay to market. (too few batteries?)
3. Small trunk, and relatively poor highway mileage compared to, say, a big diesel.
4. Lack of quality ride of the P-AWS version, (and poor take up even before that came to light, meaning that "something" is missing in the driving experience of that car.)

Acura may be at a make or break point, now. I feel the pressure building, despite my fever to try the technology for myself. But for now, this car remains a choice for those with eclectic tastes, and the ability to think for themselves. And that ain't most people.

Last edited by sooththetruth; 12-09-2014 at 04:55 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:07 AM
Grandpa

It appears they wish to sweep the 2014 Sport Hybrids under the rug....
Judging from the attention that some of us have been getting, I'd guess that it is less wanting to sweep it under the rug and more wanting to get the opinions of the people who've bought them so far.

This is just a guess based on psychological, anecdotal observation, but I think there's a real chance that this technology is going to be rolled out to a wide array of vehicles.

30 mpg in a 4400# luxury sedan with sporting pretensions is nothing to sneeze at, either. So I'll object to the premise that the economy of the system is any question. Remember...this is less an economy hybrid and more a 5G Legend, Honda's top of the line car. It might pale in comparison to a Lexus LS460 or a Mercedes S550 4Matic, but it's an entirely different market and entirely different segment of buyers.

Moreover, it's clear that the Sport Hybrid system could be re-tuned in another application to provide greater economy if that is what it is viewed the potential buyers of the vehicle would want. If you put this system into an MDX or a Pilot, then it would be retuned to give 38-40 mpg instead of 30 mpg. But you'd have other questions to answer at that point, too. (Does a Pilot need torque vectoring and is it even something that those purchasers are interested in?)

The RLX is a strange car altogether...in many ways it's a compromise, experimental car both the original low production FWD car and even more so the extremely low production RLX Sport Hybrid.

Damned if I can figure it out.

I've said this in another venue, but if you look at Saiyama's capabilities when the North American RLX started production there, it never looked to any of us like they were prepared to build any but a very few RLX at all. Now that they're 100% JDM market production of the 5G New Legend, it still looks like they're capable of only a small number of vehicles/month.

So most of us just don't know what they're up to.

They're not idiots, so they must be up to something. But I don't know what it is.

Anyway, the North American RLX Sport Hybrid is not for everybody. Most of the trepidation you expressed over your own possible purchase is justified or a matter of opinion that we couldn't effectively argue about.

You almost have to be willing to accept some compromises in one or two areas in order to be able to enjoy the parts of the car that are a leap ahead.

Don't get me started on voice commands...one of these days I'm going to give somebody a piece of my mind about those.

Don't get me started on door seals and wind noise, either. :-)

About the suspension: I don't think any of us will ever be able to explain why they put such a complicated, multi-composition, multi-ball joint suspension on the car and then put regular reactive dampers on it. (We'd probably have done better if they'd used their own Showa design, by the way, if you don't mind my saying so.)

I doubt that I'll ever have the [....]. But I've had a FWD RLX on the track, and whatever else you want to yell at them about, harshness, noise, whatever...the fact is that the thing takes bounces over gaters and track vagaries much better than cars costing quite a bit more. I have no idea why that would've been any kind of focus for them, and it is likely just an accident, a side effect of having to put what it basically the new NSX Hybrid's suspension parts onto a big sedan.

It's also hardly a selling point for the typical buyer. But for whatever good that information's worth, there it is.

:-)

Last edited by George Knighton; 12-09-2014 at 07:11 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by George Knighton:
hondamore (12-09-2014), wstr75 (12-09-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 09:06 AM
Senior Moderator

So what George is saying is that the Hybrid is for people who like unusual cars? *raises hand* jk.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sooththetruth

3. Small trunk, and relatively poor highway mileage compared to, say, a big diesel.
4. Lack of quality ride of the P-AWS version, (and poor take up even before that came to light, meaning that "something" is missing in the driving experience of that car.)

Acura may be at a make or break point, now. I feel the pressure building, despite my fever to try the technology for myself. But for now, this car remains a choice for those with eclectic tastes, and the ability to think for themselves. And that ain't most people.
1. The "non-passionate" feel described by some testers is actually a plus to me. What they are sensing is the car feeling in control at all times. When you steer at higher speeds, the car just goes where you want it to go without any drama. The Sport Hybrid RLX is NOT a race car and isn't designed to be driven as one. If you start to really push the car, the safety features will make sure you don't go too far and keep you safe going right where you want to go. This doesn't mean that it is a boring drive, far from it, but the "on the edge", "could lose it at any second" feeling when pushed just isn't there because the car is doing it's job. Track racers will see this as boring, I see this as outstanding engineering and exactly what I want in a car.

2. The 2014 RLX Sport Hybrid owners appear to have been thoroughly questioned about the car and have been kind enough to help Honda work through any deficiencies. I am expecting the 2016 to be back to traditional solid Acura reliability.

3. The few pictures that the lucky few who are driving the Sport Hybrid have provided show the trunk to be more than adequate. Golf clubs, plenty of luggage etc haven't been a problem. The "missing" part of the trunk is the hard to get to part at the very back, up against the back seat - the least used part of the trunk anyway. Remember, you are giving up that small area of trunk space to gain substantially better city gas mileage.

4. The jittery ride of the PAWS version is the most "scary" of the complaints so far regarding the RLX. The Sport Hybrid version, however, seems to have been completely cured of that problem and all of the lucky few driving one have described it as one of the smoothest, quietest cars they've driven. Again, the early adopters were the victims of a bad batch of dampers and Acura has identified the problem. It is also possible/likely that the suspension was originally designed for the Sport Hybrid and thus the problems with the PAWS version.

Your fears are understandable, but, by waiting a year or two into the RLX launch, you've allowed the issues to be corrected thanks to the excellent feedback from the current owners and you should be nothing but excited about driving the Sport Hybrid RLX.

Just my two cents.
The following 4 users liked this post by hondamore:
2011TL (12-09-2014), fsmith (12-09-2014), sooththetruth (12-09-2014), wstr75 (12-09-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 12:10 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
^^^
I agree 100% with all of your points.

Regarding #4, Jittery Ride, I drove two PAWS cars at the dealership and another at the Passion Tour. All three had the jittery ride problem. It felt as if the tires were losing contact with the road over bumpy surfaces.

At the Passion Tour I drove the PAWS version first, then the AWD Hybrid on the same roads. It was a night and day difference. The AWD Hybrid handling and ride were excellent. The only problem I noticed was the infotainment system appeared to be as slow as in the PAWS version.

I'm waiting for the 2016/17 model.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:42 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Compromises outweight Advantages

I would respectfully disagree with your comment. I see the Sports Hybrid as a dual personality car. Yes, a smooth highway cruiser when you want it to be but put it into Sports mode, take it on a curvy twisty road and you can have a fun, spirited drive..

Yes this is a worry and why I purchased an extended Acura warranty, even though many of the hybrid portions of the car carry a 100,000 factory warranty. While I recognize that Acura has had more problems recently than in the past, I still have faith in their commitment to "make things right". So far the initial experience for those few of us on Acurazine with the car have not had much in the way of the issues the PAWS cars have had. It is still early and we all agree that the infotainment system needs works but overall it is not much different than the '05 RL that I bought also as an early adapter. It was a great car even though the first model year had a number of recalls and replacement parts done for free under warranty. What Acura should do, and I plan to let them know this, is to provide software upgrades for free to fix some of the issues with the infotainment system.

You have me here, the trunk is smaller than I would like, particularly when the PAWS first came out I viewed the large trunk as a big plus. Having a bigger car than my '05 RL with a smaller trunk is a negative but one that I have overlooked it due to the excellent driving characteristics of the car.

So far all of us with the Sports Hybrid would tell you this issue doesn't exist on our cars. My guess is that as future models of the RLX non-hybrid come out that Acura will trend towards making more RLXs with mechanical AWD since they apparently have annoyed much of their target market of long time Acura drivers with the current PAWS. The market response to the AWD TLX is likely to encourage them to move in that direction.

I saw a Wall Street Journal last week discussing the air bag replacement problems at Honda. There was also an extended discussion about the Honda CEOs announced policy to grow Honda [jealously over Toyota's size and continued growth] by having the Company move to quicker model changes and lower costs to appeal to the emerging market. However, they news story cited the multiple problems with the Japanese FIT which has had 5 major recalls, as the reason the CEO has now reduced their expansion targets so they can get back to their quality core values which have been compromised by the growth strategy. I think the PAWS RLX is a casualty of what is now an old strategic direction. Just a guess on my part but I wonder if the FIT experience is what caused the unexplained delay in getting the Sports Hybrid to market -- they did not want to have all of the issues that the PAWS had and were willing to delay things to fix any issues before releasing the car. If that was the case then I think they got it right. It seems that Honda is going to be trying to go back to their strengths which I think is good for the future.
The following 3 users liked this post by Malibu Flyer:
hondamore (12-09-2014), sooththetruth (12-09-2014), wstr75 (12-09-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 12:45 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
"Advantages outweigh Compromises"

Sorry about the typo in the header of my last post.

It should read:

"Advantages outweigh Compromises"
Old 12-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011TL
^^^
I agree 100% with all of your points.

Regarding #4, Jittery Ride, I drove two PAWS cars at the dealership and another at the Passion Tour. All three had the jittery ride problem. It felt as if the tires were losing contact with the road over bumpy surfaces.

At the Passion Tour I drove the PAWS version first, then the AWD Hybrid on the same roads. It was a night and day difference. The AWD Hybrid handling and ride were excellent. The only problem I noticed was the infotainment system appeared to be as slow as in the PAWS version.

I'm waiting for the 2016/17 model.
This jittery ride I keep reading about in this foum, are we just talking about the 2014 RLX PAWS, I am not experience it with my 2015. I wonder if this was a 1st yr re-design issue that was fixed for the 2015. In fact all the problems I been reading on this forum, I have yet to experience with my RLX 2015. I have 3300 miles on it. I wonder what other 2015 owners have to says, since it appears that most of the issues that appear with this forum are from 2014 RLX owners. Also, looking at the TSBs, so far there are none for the 2015.
hondamore (12-09-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
^^^
My test drives were all 2014 models.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:47 PM
Pro

I do not feel this way about my Hybrid. It drives like a 4400 pound highway cruiser when you are on a straightaway - very powerful when passing, incredibly quiet, and stable while holding the road perfectly - but take it fast onto a highway on- or off-ramp and it feels (almost) like a sports car. It drives better than my '06 RL, and yet gets better mileage, has more advanced driving features, and is more fun. I think the smooth and quiet feel of the car is really amazing, and the six owners who report in here do seem to be pretty awed by the car.

No gremilns at all after 1500 miles. There was clearly an imperfect front window seal, and that is being fixed. Yes, the NAV/Entertainment system UI is pretty slow, but that's not so much a gremlin as a poor or sub-optimized hardware choice, in my opinion. (BTW, I do think the many reported re-booting and shutting-down type gremlins in the NAV system from the early PAWS release are mostly gone.)

The trunk turned out to be bigger than I expected for a car with a hybrid battery behind the rear seat. I can get three maximum-permitted length airline rollaboards in the trunk. The trade-off seems inherent in the choice of the size of the back seat. And of course this is a trade-off for a hybrid that needs space for the battery. But I would personally take less space in the huge back seat to get a bit more trunk space.

I can't speak to the ride of the PAWS, and I certainly believe the compaints on this forum about the PAWS suspension issues are true - clearly for at least some of the production run. But there is no ride-quality issue in my hybrid. No noises, no harsh rebounds. So they fixed whatever the issue was in the PAWS for the hybrids.

I agree that at the moment, given the short production run and the lack of marketing, this car is for only the Acura loyalists who were looking for a large highway sedan to replace a last-generation RL. I hope that changes. But I don't find too many compromises in this car (except perhaps the trunk space vs. enormous back-seat issue). It's a great car and I urge anyone near a dealer with one available to go test-drive it.

Zoommer (12-29-2014)
Old 12-27-2014, 12:19 PM
Senior Moderator

My dealer has their third Sport Hybrid coming, a BWP Tech. I get the feeling that they'd be a high volume Sport Hybrid dealer with wider release. Maybe they aren't as hard to sell as we thought?

97 Sport Hybrids on cars.com, 19 of them Advance. Number slowly going down...
Old 12-29-2014, 11:16 AM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts
1. The "non-passionate" feel described by some testers is actually a plus to me. What they are sensing is the car feeling in control at all times. When you steer at higher speeds, the car just goes where you want it to go without any drama. The Sport Hybrid RLX is NOT a race car and isn't designed to be driven as one. If you start to really push the car, the safety features will make sure you don't go too far and keep you safe going right where you want to go. This doesn't mean that it is a boring drive, far from it, but the "on the edge", "could lose it at any second" feeling when pushed just isn't there because the car is doing it's job. Track racers will see this as boring, I see this as outstanding engineering and exactly what I want in a car.

2. The 2014 RLX Sport Hybrid owners appear to have been thoroughly questioned about the car and have been kind enough to help Honda work through any deficiencies. I am expecting the 2016 to be back to traditional solid Acura reliability.

3. The few pictures that the lucky few who are driving the Sport Hybrid have provided show the trunk to be more than adequate. Golf clubs, plenty of luggage etc haven't been a problem. The "missing" part of the trunk is the hard to get to part at the very back, up against the back seat - the least used part of the trunk anyway. Remember, you are giving up that small area of trunk space to gain substantially better city gas mileage.

4. The jittery ride of the PAWS version is the most "scary" of the complaints so far regarding the RLX. The Sport Hybrid version, however, seems to have been completely cured of that problem and all of the lucky few driving one have described it as one of the smoothest, quietest cars they've driven. Again, the early adopters were the victims of a bad batch of dampers and Acura has identified the problem. It is also possible/likely that the suspension was originally designed for the Sport Hybrid and thus the problems with the PAWS version.

Your fears are understandable, but, by waiting a year or two into the RLX launch, you've allowed the issues to be corrected thanks to the excellent feedback from the current owners and you should be nothing but excited about driving the Sport Hybrid RLX.

Just my two cents.
I agree with everything you have stated:

1. IF you want more feel: go in Sport mode and make sure the pedal is set to low rather than high force feedback. Also, the steering feeling feedback should not be confused with precision. The steering is very precise but does not give the type of R/P feeling...I guess you can get the feeling from the firm ride :-)

2. SPOT ON=ASK EVERYONE...seems that there are several very highly educated (all fields), passionate, knowledgeable persons who have bought the Sport Hybrid/

3. Agree. I have been able to fit enough luggage to overlook the size when compared to the other benefits... (was not able to do that with the Q50Hybrid)

4. I have not experienced the damper issue (KOW) and the jittery ride is, in my opinion and experience, is a firm ride. The only way to fix it w/o changing dampers (unless they ARE defective) is to get taller/softer sidewall tires.

5. We should be getting free MUGEN parts for our beta status!!!
Old 12-29-2014, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Zoommer
5. We should be getting free MUGEN parts for our beta status!!!
This. I'll take the spoiler.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:10 PM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts
Adjustable dampers...and front lip spoiler. The adjustable dampers is the one thing this car could really benefit from...IMHO...

Another idea is to make the existing cellular modem tied to Acuralink a WIFI spot you can subscribe to.