System issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 01:11 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
System issues

Okay, I know the haters will rejoice, but that's not my objective. What I'm trying to do is twofold:

1. It's useful for owners and potential buyers to know about quirks of a given car, so they can make informed decisions and/or consider repairs as needed

2. I'm interested in knowing if others have seen these quirks, and what they've done about them.

None of these is a deal-breaker or serious issue, just oddities.

AUDIO:

About once every 3 or 4 months, I'll start the car and the sound system is off (I always keep it on). In those cases, the lower screen is usually blank:

Pressing the I/O switch usually does nothing, although it will sometimes come on after several tries. The only way to get it back to normal is to restart the car and reboot the whole system.

On at least one occasion, the lower screen came on, but the little rectangles where station presets show up were "empty":

I couldn't get the audio system to respond at all, and it took three restarts of the car to get things back to normal.

I posted awhile back about an episode where I picked up my car at the dealer after an oil change, and neither the audio system nor the navigation would work at all, and both screens were blank. I turned around and took it back to the dealer and they performed some kind of update, after which it worked. That was awhile back, and these other tings have happened since then.

STEERING WHEEL/SEAT POSITION MEMORY:

Every now and then, my steering wheel and seat will not return to their memorized positions when I start the car. I'm the only driver of the car, and I have my preferences memorized to button "1".

In these cases, the memory button on the door is not lighted, so I can push the "1" button and the wheel and seat move to their assigned positions. For some reason, though, the system just doesn't go through the step where it tells the wheel and seat to do that.

The second oddity is that even though the wheel moves into position when I start the car, it has crept upwards a notch. I can move it down one click, then re-memorize the position, but in a few months it will often creep back up again.

Again, these are not huge deals, and they don't make me hate the car at all. I just wonder if they are unique to my car, or if they are known issues that may have fixes.

I welcome comments, but please don't tell me how problem-ridden and awful the RLX is, or how Acura needs to get their act together, etc., etc. We've done that and don't need to go there again. :wink:

Old 01-19-2015, 01:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
Seems like the audio issue could be a connection problem.

Regarding the telescoping wheel - remember this was a tell tale sign of weakening battery in the RL
Old 01-19-2015, 01:24 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
I personally with all the electronic gadgets on the RLX/MDX etc....I would DUMP that OEM battery that just barely does its job and get a new Sears ROBUST top of line Battery..... Like 850 cold crank battery as opposed to the barely adequate oem battery....
Old 01-19-2015, 01:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,003 Likes on 533 Posts
+1 on the battery as the first suspect in the cause of the issues.

Also to state the obvious, make sure you are using the same key all the time - the driver 2 key will change the presets to a different position. I only mention it because my wife drove my car once and put her key in beside my regular key and I grabbed the wrong one by mistake and I was argghhin and fargghin for a while until I realized my mistake.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:43 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by hondamore
+1 on the battery as the first suspect in the cause of the issues.

Also to state the obvious, make sure you are using the same key all the time - the driver 2 key will change the presets to a different position. I only mention it because my wife drove my car once and put her key in beside my regular key and I grabbed the wrong one by mistake and I was argghhin and fargghin for a while until I realized my mistake.
Thanks, Hondamore. Yeah, I'm the only driver of this car, and the fob lives in my pocket, so it's always the right one.

You guys seem to all be pointing to the battery as the culprit, but I've seen no other signs it could be weak. My car is one year old and has 15,000 miles, so I wouldn't normally think the battery would be bad.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I have had issues previously when listening to XM and I hit the audio button - the current song and artist are listed but the other 6 presets are blank, yet when I toggle to them via the wheel apparatus he station comes in so I know it is in memory. Just some times they do not show up on the radio menu list.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
the previous RL ate batteries.
1 yr is soon, but on the RL many could only keep a battery 2 yrs. I think I went through 4 batteries in 9 yrs

you migh have got a bad battery to begin with
Old 01-19-2015, 01:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by getakey
the previous RL ate batteries.
1 yr is soon, but on the RL many could only keep a battery 2 yrs. I think I went through 4 batteries in 9 yrs

you migh have got a bad battery to begin with
THIS and oh I remember SO well how the RL ate batteries. Funny electrical glitches? Go have your battery checked first off, then proceed from there.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It is the software in the RLX and not just your vehicle. My screen would freeze or lock up and restarting the car multiple times wouldn't even fix it (dealer had to disconnect the battery). The power button for the radio would become completely unresponsive. I believe this usually happened after a Bluetooth call. I've also had the climate controls remain blank until I've restarted the car and I've had my radio presets disappear only to reappear again after a restart/reboot of the car. My second key is not used and was nowhere near the vehicle when this occurred.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:22 PM
AcurAdmirer

Yeah, I think the software is a little buggy, but I'll be taking the car in for an oil change in the next week or so and I'll have them check the battery while I'm in.

I'll also check to see that I have the latest and greatest updates.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:56 PM
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 96 Posts
My active cruise control once did not boot up in two successive restarts. No cruise control on those trip sections. Everything else worked as usual. The third start-up active cruise control ran fine and has done so on all start-ups since. This is another case of the software having a start-up related bug where pieces of the operating software are not loading properly.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:09 PM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts
Once on NAV the VOICE stopped working. After the car being parked for a few hours I got the welcome screen (visual, krell graphic, etc..) and voice was back. Not sure what happened.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:25 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
After I recieved a couple of "check 12 volt charging system", the dealer said the battery would not hold a charge properly and replaced it. Hasn't happened since, but I wonder if a defective battery was truly the root cause and, if so, what the specific defect of the battery was.
I continue to have the same screen gremlins in the audio system, very slow nav response times, and missing hvac controls upon startup.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:54 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
About half the time, the steering wheel does not come out fully. ( exact same problem as the RL ) The seat and mirrors always go to the right place. Battery and alternator checked out OK.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
I have the same problem you do Mike with the steering wheel. I have mine set all the way down in it's lowest position and it never comes down 100% when it recalls my memory position, it's always 98% down, leaving room to adjust it a final click down.

I just gave up on it and attributed to a bug / design issue in the steering wheel motor mechanism and have just accustomed myself to manually click it down further before I drive off.

I have not experienced any of the other issues you've reported.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:18 AM
Instructor

My system frequently loses all the audio preset data. Have only noticed this in xm mode. Turning off the audio doesn't bring back the data, nor does restarting the car. I question whether this is an xm/Sirius problem, however, the other cars I have with xm have never exhibited this defect.
Recently,I've observed that often when I start the car, the hvac temp does not appear for a matter of 30 seconds to a minute with the system set to auto. I believe this happens only when the car has been sitting for a number of hours.
Then, yesterday when I started it, the lower screen was completely blank. I waited a minute or so, and nothing happened. Then, at a stop sign, I stopped the car, shut off the engine and restarted it. The screen came on normally. My son screamed at me wondering if I was crazy.
More gremlins. Very annoying. Have never experienced similar issues with any other car.
Anyone else experience this? Any fixes you are aware of?
My battery was replaced six months ago after the 12 volt charging system warning. Don't think these are related, but who knows. My role as design and product validation test engineer continues.

Last edited by mgalbr22; 02-01-2015 at 05:25 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:52 AM
Senior Moderator

None of the above glitches noted in my hybrid. I suggest those with issues to post a screenshot of the software version so we can get a comparison. To find your software version:

Hold NAV-BACK-MENU simultaneously, or PHONE-BACK-MENU if you don't have NAV.
Use jog wheel to SELECT "Detail Information and Setting", then "Version". The "Program" version is likely what's most relevant here.

to being a beta tester for Acura! They should pay us.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
mgalbr22 (02-01-2015), victorber (02-12-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 08:06 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
They should pay us.
Wait wait wait.....

You don't get paid?
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (02-01-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 09:47 AM
AcurAdmirer

None of the above glitches noted in my hybrid. I suggest those with issues to post a screenshot of the software version so we can get a comparison. To find your software version:

Use jog wheel to SELECT "Detail Information and Setting", then "Version". The "Program" version is likely what's most relevant here.

Okay, here's mine:

Now show me yours.

BTW, I've had no more of the glitches I reported, but my car has started locking itself a lot. Seems like half the time I go out in the garage, the car is locked. Guess that's better than UN-locking itself.

And my battery was checked last week and declared good.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:58 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
BTW, I've had no more of the glitches I reported, but my car has started locking itself a lot. Seems like half the time I go out in the garage, the car is locked. Guess that's better than UN-locking itself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny. My car locks itself some time as well. Maybe it's pouting.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mike_TX

Now show me yours.
I already did, my diagnostic screen thread:

I appear to have an older version of the system software. I can't see that the navi operates that differently in the eSH-AWD RLX other than the power distribution screen.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:46 PM
Instructor

Latest software

Once you determine what version you have, how do you know if it is the latest?!
Old 02-01-2015, 10:18 PM
AcurAdmirer

I already did, my diagnostic screen thread:

I appear to have an older version of the system software.
I can't see that the navi operates that differently in the eSH-AWD RLX other than the power distribution screen.
Ewww. Nah, you couldn't have, could you? Maybe the hybrids have a whole nuther series.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:23 PM
Senior Moderator

mgalbr22, that's why I'm asking for version numbers. I'm not sure whether mine is the latest for Sport Hybrids, or is an earlier version than those in the 2014 and 2015 PAWS RLXs. I figure the higher the version number, the more recent it is.

Would be a lot easier if Acura got us a proper update out with similar functionality to the TLX. I hope they can do it. That'd increase my satisfaction with the car significantly.

Edit: Mike posted while I was typing.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
mgalbr22, that's why I'm asking for version numbers. I'm not sure whether mine is the latest for Sport Hybrids, or is an earlier version than those in the 2014 and 2015 PAWS RLXs. I figure the higher the version number, the more recent it is.

Would be a lot easier if Acura got us a proper update out with similar functionality to the TLX. I hope they can do it. That'd increase my satisfaction with the car significantly.

I will ask for the latest update on mine when I bring it in on Wednesday.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:28 AM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Bob - I have the same 1.00.2b05 system in my Hybrid (I can't get to my car to check the other #'s today because of the storm, but I had written down the main program # previously). The Acura Tech Line told my dealer that there was no later system software for my car, but that "they were working on an update" (aren't they always?).
neuronbob (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 03:21 PM
AcurAdmirer

Boy, as I posted in another thread in the Electronics sub-forum, I would be elated if they would (or could) update my nav to operate like the TLX; specifically, the ability to speak full addresses in one string. What a boon that is. I've experienced it firsthand in my wife's Altima, and it's a huge convenience when entering destinations.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ you do know you can already do this by using Acuralink? And it works very well:

1. just hit the Acuralink button on the overhead console

2. tell it you want "New Destination"

3. It will ask you what you wand to find and you can speak the full address string in one shot.

4. it will search it and confirm back to you the address you gave it and then download it to the car.

I use it all the time and it works very well. You can even tell it to just find the "nearest Best Buy" or "nearest Starbucks" and it will locate the closest ones to you.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:22 AM
Grandpa

With AcuraLink, you don't even need the address to get directions.

If you search by company name and city/state, that is usually enough.

I like that. :-)
Old 02-03-2015, 06:24 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
Okay, here's mine:

Now show me yours.

FYI, I remember someone asking what was the 2015 RLX information. I have a 2015 Advance and decided to check mine this morning and my information is exactly the same as this information on Mike Tx. I do not have the issue (glitches, suspension, rattles, clunks, etc.) presented in this forum. With that said I do agree that the voice recognition is not that great, I just do it manually, and the NAV traffic colors is way to light, not always up to date, at least for this old guy IMHO.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:18 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by holografique
^ you do know you can already do this by using Acuralink? And it works very well:

1. just hit the Acuralink button on the overhead console

2. tell it you want "New Destination"

3. It will ask you what you wand to find and you can speak the full address string in one shot.

4. it will search it and confirm back to you the address you gave it and then download it to the car.

I use it all the time and it works very well. You can even tell it to just find the "nearest Best Buy" or "nearest Starbucks" and it will locate the closest ones to you.
Doesn't that require a subscription?
Old 02-03-2015, 10:11 AM
Grandpa

Doesn't that require a subscription?
Yes, it does.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Mike - it comes with the "Connect" edition of the service, which is $159 for a 1-year ($13.25/month) minimum service fee/contract. Well worth the monthly cost in my opinion.

Acura | AcuraLink - Packages | Acura.com
Old 02-03-2015, 12:47 PM
AcurAdmirer

Thanks. I was vaguely aware of it, but had decided I wouldn't get $159 a year's goody out of it.

victorber (02-12-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 04:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'll tell you another feature that is well worth the $13.25 / monthly cost is the ability to pull up addresses on your iPhone and send them to the car via Acuralink, meaning from anywhere, as long as your iPhone is "online" and the car has a good cell signal to communicate with Acuralink.

That function is my primary method for sending navigation info to the car. From there, if I forget, then I just use the Acuralink call option.

Both of these NAV input options are the two things that have made it easier for me to deal with the fact that the NAV input is sooooo slow and cumbersome to do via the touchscreen (due to the sluggish CPU performance).
Old 02-03-2015, 08:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Red face My $.02

So far I have not experienced any of the things the OP has but a few of my bugs:
1. A few times my nav had to reboot itself. Forgot the exact wording but it said it would take a minute before it would start. I ponder if it is bc I use a metallic sun shield which they warn could affect the equipment in the rear view mirror. This has happened maybe 3 times & rectifies after a minute or 2.

2. Sometimes the lower screen freezes when I am trying to make a call & I cannot hangup or make another call until I turn the car off & back on. This has happened twice now.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:41 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
^^^ I also have had multiple NAV "Please wait while I re-acquire my GPS signal" reboots, but only when starting the car. Always clears itself pretty quickly. No other crashes or reboots.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Mike - just noticed you have a new version of software than my 2014 Advanced. And I asked the techs specifically to check for NAV Software updates and they said they didnt find any. Gonna have to give them a call
Old 02-10-2015, 09:38 AM
Grandpa

Mike - just noticed you have a new version of software than my 2014 Advanced. And I asked the techs specifically to check for NAV Software updates and they said they didnt find any. Gonna have to give them a call
Dammit. Now I'm going to have to actually look.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:53 PM
AcurAdmirer

I think mine may have been updated awhile back when I had an issue with the nav display. Acura apparently checks for updates only when something goes on the fritz.

Quick Reply: System issues