Stupid NY Potholes and my RLX

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 10:28 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Stupid NY Potholes and my RLX

I left work late, around 10pm on Monday. I only live around 4-5 miles from work so I figured I'd be home in less than 10 minutes. The road is pretty terrible, but I've been driving it every day for 4 years. I know when to go from left to right lanes, when to slow up..

I swerved a little too late and hit a huge pothole. TPMS instantly flashed and showed '0' tire pressure for my RF tire. (To make this even worse, this was the same road/fairly same spot that destroyed my '09 TL's RF Tire 4 years ago) I pull into a gas station which is a few seconds away. Try to use the tire compressor (woo no spare) but the air was coming back out as fast as I put it in. I call for a tow, truck gets there around 11:30pm and I get it towed back to my house.

I pull the tire off with my dad the next morning and make plans to goto the dealer. I have the tire warranty so it shouldn't be a big deal. Once we pull the tire off, we see the rim has a nice 8" crack down the middle and has a nice bend to it.

I call my dealer back who tells me I have to get the car towed to them for the inspector from the tire/rim warranty to inspect it and put the claim through. My state farm insurance covers towing up to 10 miles away. Luckily for me my dealer is 11 miles. I had to wind up paying $2.50 over the phone before they'd send the tow.

Dealer calls me up later that night they got approval for the replacement of rim and tire, but now they found the RR rim was bent too...and the tire/rim warranty doesnt cover strictly rim damage (has to be a combo of rim/tire, or just tire). They wont know if the bend is strictly cosmetic until the RF rim/tire come in and they can drive it.

BUT...they gave me a 2015 TLX v6 Tech loaner, and I've been having some fun with it, still trying to get adjusted to the push button gear buttons, but its kinda growing on me.

Name:  u9EMA41.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  68.4 KB
Name:  6rBlqCJ.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  138.9 KB
Name:  r5MOsMX.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  94.4 KB
Name:  Xm5k9Sn.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  79.1 KB
Old 04-01-2015, 10:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,005 Likes on 534 Posts
^^What a pain in the butt!! Sorry for your trouble and thanks for sharing your story so the rest of us know the consequences of hitting a pothole with 19 inch rims on the RLX.

I'm sure I look like an impaired driver weaving and swerving around the city trying to miss potholes, but PaulNY's story is exactly what I am trying to avoid.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
^^What a pain in the butt!! Sorry for your trouble and thanks for sharing your story so the rest of us know the consequences of hitting a pothole with 19 inch rims on the RLX.

I'm sure I look like an impaired driver weaving and swerving around the city trying to miss potholes, but PaulNY's story is exactly what I am trying to avoid.
On my drive home from JFK Airport yesterday, I got off the Van Wick Expressway to avoid some traffic and took local roads to get over to the Whitestone Bridge. I'm glad I was in my MDX because the potholes were everywhere and one was worse than the next. One of them sent my kids bouncing in the back seat and if it they were not wearing their seat belts, I'm sure they would have hit their heads on the roof. I swear one of the holes I barely avoided was 2 feet in diameter and at least a foot deep. There were suspension parts littering the side of the road about 20 yards further down after I passed it. I imagine the Boston area is in the same boat for the road conditions, but having just come back from Florida and not seeing one pothole the entire trip, it is shocking to say the least.

A few weeks ago I drove into Pennsylvania on Interstate 84 going past Port Jervis and every pavement seam acted like small speed bumps to large ones, like those you would see in parking lots. Empty 18 wheeler trailers were bouncing everywhere and it was completely unsafe to pass them. In fact it was hard to drive the speed limit, much less 70-85 mph! This was only in addition to huge potholes that you had to navigate around so as to not destroy your car. I doubt an H1 Hummer would be safe driving through them (well maybe that would be ok).

Truly sad you had to be inconvenienced PaulNY. Sorry.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:12 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Sorry, PaulNY. I feel for you. I, also, hit a moster pothole a few weeks back in my RLX SH-AWD. I had it towed to the dealer and the rim was only bent, not cracked. A new tire and a fixed rim got covered by the tire insurance I had bought with the car. A TLX loaner for the weekend made it all not so bad, but I hated to do that to my new car; it really hurt, and definitely messed up my day. The Boston area roadways are a disaster right now.
Attached Thumbnails Stupid NY Potholes and my RLX-potd-hole_3204434k2.jpg  
Old 04-01-2015, 07:52 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by fsmith
Sorry, PaulNY. I feel for you. I, also, hit a moster pothole a few weeks back in my RLX SH-AWD. I had it towed to the dealer and the rim was only bent, not cracked. A new tire and a fixed rim got covered by the tire insurance I had bought with the car. A TLX loaner for the weekend made it all not so bad, but I hated to do that to my new car; it really hurt, and definitely messed up my day. The Boston area roadways are a disaster right now.
Yeah, its crazy...looks like the roads got hit really bad all over the north east this year. I'm hoping it'll all get patched up by the summer, I really can't stand having to be this careful my entire trip to/from work.

My car will be ready either Saturday or Monday, so like you said I'll enjoy the TLX for a few more days until they.

My dealer has been good to me and always had a great service team so my car is in good hands.

All I know is that I'm glad I spent the money on the tire plan! This one claim, less than a year in already paid for itself almost 2x over
Old 04-01-2015, 08:41 PM
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts
Hit a pothole last year that wasn't even that deep and wound up with a bulge in one of my tires. Wound up having to get a new tire from the dealer, as most independent shops did not carry the right model and size for the RLX.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:51 PM
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts
Seems to be a common problem. I had the same experience about a month ago, but didn't crack the wheel. See my posting about our anniversary. :-(
Old 04-01-2015, 10:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had some trouble with tires, first i blew one due to a bad alignment and a friend got me tires from firestone which i swapped ( i had no spare at the time) and he got me $250 firestones which were honestly the worst tires i've ever had.

then i hit a pothole last year down by nyc and put a huge bubble in my tire, ended up replacing it with a dunlop... so i had mismatched front tires and the firestone i had left on the front developed a bubble seemingly overnight. I didn't hit any large potholes with it and this was a while after the first firestone got messed up. I ended up getting a really nice pair of used michellins for $90 together.

the roads around new york state are freaking awful, and they have been bad in my area even before the winter.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:20 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
i'm on my third tire since i got the car in nov 2013 and i swear these low profile tires don't help the situation. if i could do it all again i would have kept my 2009 rl and drove that into the ground.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
I AM PISSED OFF!!!!! This morning I hit a pothole that was so hard it sounded like the whole car vibrated like a tuning fork! I called NYDOT to report the meteorite hole in the earth immediately. What I am shocked is that there was no damage at all. I am baffled because I was sure that both right side tires and rims would have been utterly destroyed. There are no tire sidewall bubbles or visual rim damage of any kind which for the life of me I can't figure out. I am so careful to avoid these things but short of an H1, I don't know how every car going through that hole is not messed up. I am driving back there this morning to make sure I can identify it better. I will try to take a picture of it if that is safe to do.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:55 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
I see from the bottom, does the Advanced package have illuminated door sills? I went to discount tire last week, I was told 2 of my wheels are bent. I have a 06 GS with aftermarket rims with 19" tires with thick 40 series.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by krava
I see from the bottom, does the Advanced package have illuminated door sills? I went to discount tire last week, I was told 2 of my wheels are bent. I have a 06 GS with aftermarket rims with 19" tires with thick 40 series.
40 series tires are not thick. Try 60 series on my wife's Pilot. Now THAT's thick.

The illuminated door sills are a dealer-installed option. They do not come with the Advance trim. They probably should, to be honest, it'd be a nice luxurious touch. My car is leased, so I will probably not spend the extra money on it.