Storage/Reccomendations for 2018+ Sport Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 10:24 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Storage/Reccomendations for 2018+ Sport Hybrid?

Hey y'all!

Currently car shopping, and the Acura RLX Sport Hybrid is pretty much my dream car. I even got to test drive one and really liked it! Though I didn't push it, try the adaptive cruise control, etc. Anyway, I want this car, but I have on big complaint: there's no storage space, in either the trunk or the front dash around the infotainment area.

I've considered getting a small rim (3d printed or similar) for the platform by the top screen to be able to put my phone there and/or custom cutting a silicon mat. Does that sound like a good idea? How do y'all manage your phone/wallet/water bottle/takeout/coins/misc trash whatever? Is it painful? Ideally I'd love to swap the center console out for like the one the TSX sport-wagon had and GROM audio the screen (planning on GROM-ing for carplay if you recommend)

The other thing is the dismal trunk space - anyone have experience with roof racks? Are they fine or are they gonna kill your mpg/road noise/handling? I guess I'd probably only be using them for road trips but still.

Anyway, any advice or encouragement/discouragement would be appreciated!

I'm cross shopping:
- Mazda6
- Buick Regal Sportback GS
- Lincoln MKZ (w/the V6)
- Acura Integra
- Acura TLX
The ideal car is one that can move people, things, and ass. These cars have lots of tradeoffs in all those departments.
Old 07-18-2023, 06:09 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,515 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Sounds like you like the looks of a sedan or 5 door hatch; but, need the utility of a CUV/SUV? I have both an 18 RLX Sport Hybrid (CPO, Dec/19) and 19 MDX Adv Sport Hybrid (New, Mar/19). I love the RLX power, 27-34 mpg range, large cabin, and the unique looks of the RLX. Don't like the RLX's outdated info-tainment, small trunk, soft suspension+nose heavy RLX, flat front seats, 15.1 gal gas tank, manual climate controls for rear seats, no trunk close button, and lack of internal storage/utility. The RLX works perfect for us as a city car daily driver, short out of town day trip, or overnight trips for 1-4 adults without a lot of luggage.

The wife and I took a road trip in the RLX to Las Vegas (I hit Dream Racing and did some hot laps in a NSX). Our poor lower backs were aching after a few hours of driving to LV. We had to take more frequent breaks to stretch out our backs in the RLX during the +1000 mile drive to/from. We can go X-country in our MDX spending 4-12 hours straight behind the wheel with only short gas/bathroom breaks with zero lower back aches.

A 17-20 MDX Sport Hybrid won't have the power, acceleration, or mpgs of the RLX Sport Hybrid (MDX specs: 321hp/289tq, +/- 6 sec 0-60 mph, 24-27 mpgs combined always). The 17 MDX Sport Hybrid doesn't have Carplay and the info-tainment looks like the RLX's system. The 18-20 MDX Sport Hybrid does have the updated info-tainment with Carplay and a lot of advantages over my RLX like:
- 19.4 gal gas tank for 425-450 mile range in city/combine/hwy driving of 24-26 mpg avg. Some have gone +500 miles in the MDX Sport Hybrid
- MDX has electronic dampers for Comfort or Sport modes (leave my MDX in Sport mode)
- MDX feel like it has better weight distribution for improved balance when the road gets twisty compared to the RLX that feels a little nose heavy. The MDX only come in about +100 lbs more than the RLX.
- IDS settings of Comfort, Normal, Sport, or Sport+ (only get normal or Sport in the RLX and zero change with damper system)
- very comfy seats in the MDX for all day driving comfort and very supportive for sporty driving
- the MDX hybrid with electronic dampers does outhandle the RLX hybrid with the softer suspension when the road get twisty
- You can add a roof rack, hitch for cargo carrier or bike rack, and tons of space in the hatch or even more with the 2nd row folded down
- The MDX LED headlights seem to have a slightly better beam pattern and longer coverage compared to my RLX 20 lens LEDs. I think it is because of the MDX LEDs being higher off the ground to project further.
- the MDX LED fogs are more functional and provide extra light for the front 360 camera or side illumination on turns
- deeper center consoles and more cabin storage options
- zero worries about potholes, pinch flats, or bent rims with the MDX (pinch flat one tire and bent one rim from potholes in +3 years with the RLX).
- you can add a full size spare to the MDX (must add the spare tire hoist, tools, and full size or donut spare). You can add a donut (if you can find one) or squeeze a full size spare into the RLX trunk.
- service schedule, cost, and intervals are exactly the same for the MDX and RLX

This is what I use to hold my change and bills in both vehicles (coin holder, rubbermaid holder, bill holder links below). I keep the coin holder in the driver's side door and bill holder in the center console. Also have a small umbrella next to the coin holder. Upgraded the pedals with Ultimate Racing Pedals, Amazon "Acura" logo projectors, and have OEM all season floor mats.

Last edited by mrgold35; 07-18-2023 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-18-2023, 06:29 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,515 Likes on 1,182 Posts
I couldn't get the links with my first post to work for some reason:

Type S universal Car coin Holder, Amazon, $11:
Amazon Amazon

Rubbermaid Automotive Air Vent storage/organizer, Amazon, $9:
Amazon Amazon

Alpine Swiss RFID Blocking leather money clip, Amazon, $18:
Amazon Amazon

Old 07-20-2023, 12:55 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much for this detailed reply, and sorry it took so long to respond!

Yeah, I mean ideally I do get sedan looks/ability with more carrying capacity. I'm a beginner woodworker - realistically I could mount some plywood on a roof rack for a 2 mile trip back from home depot and be fine. I also didn't notice anything off or bad about the seats when I test drove an RLX, but it was just a 10 minute test drive. The MDX was completely off of my radar until this post, but you've really sold me on it - I'm impressed it can out-handle the RLX on twisty roads, and ofc the people and thing hauling is vastly superior. And it's only 100 lbs heavier? Really sweet deal. The mpg doesn't really matter to me - I'm in an '03 Acura TL with 15/22 mpg (now) and premium fuel - I could get a jeep and save gas money.

I'm still not completely sold on not getting a sedan/hatchback, just on liking driving sedans over big vehicles, but I'll have to see if I can find an MDX near me and test drive it! Thank you for all the imput and the stuff storage recommendations!