RLX Sport Hybrid - reliability and watch outs

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 11:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
RLX Sport Hybrid - reliability and watch outs

Hi all,

I'm new here, hello world! I'm beginning to look at my next car purchase and I can't find a better balanced car for my driving needs than the 18+ RLX Sport Hybrid. Power, Efficiency, Comfort in spades, and *hopefully* reliability too. That's my first question here - for those of you who daily your rlx sport hybrid, what issues have you seen with the car? Are their common failures for the sport hybrids in particular that a guy should expect coming into ownership?

As I start my (likely long) search to find a reasonably priced Brilliant Red Metallic with the ebony interior, what are some things a guy should look for (or look out for) while searching?

Thanks in advance for the discussion!
Old 02-27-2022, 11:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,005 Likes on 534 Posts
I have a 2014 RLX Sport Hybrid that I bought in March 2015. I have had no issues at all except for replacing the 12v starter battery twice (once because the car sat on the dealer lot for a long time draining the battery and once because of Covid - I didn't drive enough and the battery got drained down a couple of times before I smartened up and put it on a trickle charger).

I think your biggest obstacle in buying an RLX Sport Hybrid is going to be finding one, but I am confident in recommending the car for ALL of the reasons that you listed.

Good luck with your research and your decision on a new car.
Old 02-27-2022, 11:39 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by hondamore
I have a 2014 RLX Sport Hybrid that I bought in March 2015. I have had no issues at all except for replacing the 12v starter battery twice (once because the car sat on the dealer lot for a long time draining the battery and once because of Covid - I didn't drive enough and the battery got drained down a couple of times before I smartened up and put it on a trickle charger).

I think your biggest obstacle in buying an RLX Sport Hybrid is going to be finding one, but I am confident in recommending the car for ALL of the reasons that you listed.

Good luck with your research and your decision on a new car.
Thanks so much!

​​​​​​That does seem like an issue on multiple RLX's after crawling the forums for a bit here. Simple change out, right? I assume these batteries don't need to be coded in like the German luxo-barges I'm used to?
Old 02-28-2022, 06:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The RLX SH is pretty reliable. I’ve had two. My early 2014 developed weird electronic issues, but that was only my car and not a widespread issue. I’ve had a 2020 now for almost a year and it’s had no issues whatsoever. I’d say purchase without concern.

All Acuras eat 12v batteries, not just the RLX. There is no special procedure for replacing it.

As Hondamore indicated above, these cars are so rare that your biggest issue will be locating one. It appears once people buy them, they don’t give them up easily.
The following users liked this post:
rlx015 (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 06:49 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by neuronbob
The RLX SH is pretty reliable. I’ve had two. My early 2014 developed weird electronic issues, but that was only my car and not a widespread issue. I’ve had a 2020 now for almost a year and it’s had no issues whatsoever. I’d say purchase without concern.

All Acuras eat 12v batteries, not just the RLX. There is no special procedure for replacing it.

As Hondamore indicated above, these cars are so rare that your biggest issue will be locating one. It appears once people buy them, they don’t give them up easily.
Great to hear, thanks much, Bob!
Old 02-28-2022, 07:47 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,201 Posts
i have an 18 RLX Sport Hybrid I purchased CPO with 7200 miles back in Dec/2019. I was looking coast-to-coast and that was the only red/ebony RLX I could find at that time. I live in NM and purchased my RLX near Sacramento, CA. We did everything over the internet with the Acura dealership, The wife and I flew out on Friday, did a 20 min test drive, signed paperwork, and drove back over the weekend. We never did something like that before and was taking a huge chance if there was an issue discovered while there. The low mileage, the RLX was purchased/serviced/traded in at the same Acura dealership, it was the sales manager's daily driver, and it was CPO made us take a chance. Zero regrets and always fun to drive after +2 years and +11,000 miles. Planning to keep for +100,000 miles or if Acura comes out with a replacement RLX for the next gen of vehicles.

The red/ebony is still a very hard combo to find in the 2019/2020 model years also. You might have to pay a premium and willing to travel if one pops up.

The only issues I've had with my RLX are:
- no updates yet to the 2017/2018 map system database. I have Acuralink and I send addresses to the navi and it seems to work 95% of the time (might have to move the car for better reception sometimes). Using my iPhone and sending by Acuralink is the only way I can use the RLX navi. You will end up punching the navi screen if you try to input address by hand (probably the hardest manual input Acura has made for navi addresses).

- Did the TSB #20-040 7DCT odd gear software upgrade. No issues before the upgrade and haven't felt any change in shifting, mpgs, or performance after software upgrade.

- New OEM battery after 3 years because of "U0104-00 Cruise control may not work properly with braking system" and "U1100 gauge control module loss of communication cleared". Acura vehicle don't like to sit for weeks/months without being driven because the 12v battery will slowly drain. 99% of the errors or issues is because of low voltage from the 12v system. You might only need to charge the battery or get a new battery if you test drive a RLX that sat on a lot for a while with error codes.

- I had to re-adjust the driver's side wiper because it was hitting the side windshield pillar (dealership)

- the low profile rim/tires are not pothole friendly. I got a pinch flat on the sidewall 3 days after purchase when I hit a winter caused pothole on hwy exit only lane. I was lucky I didn't bend the OEM rims and I installed the spare tire kit at time of purchase. It took almost 2 weeks to get the replacement tire in and set an appointment at Discount Tires. Decided to go with aftermarket rims because OEM replacement rims are expensive and will become impossible to find in a few years.

Other "aspects" about the RLX are:
- OEM glass replacement is expensive and hard to find. Windshield replacement must include calibration for upper cameras and be able to reflect the HUD image. Might have to double-check your car insurance policy on windshield replacement.

- I had hail damage from a freak storm in May of 2021. It took until Oct to get the replacement parts in and get the RLX repaired. Expect to wait months for replacement parts and double-check your insurance policy if you need a loaner for that long. I still had my 11 MDX as back-up while I parked my RLX.

- small 15 gal gas tank. Not an issue for city or commuter driving; but, can be a PITA of longer trips. An extremely stiff headwind at hwy speeds in hilly terrain can drop mpgs in high teens/low 20s at +80 mph. Normally, I get 29-34 mpg on the hwy depending on posted speed.

- limited trunk space. More than enough room for 4 adults for a long out of town getaway in the cabin; but, only enough luggage space for 2 or 3 in the trunk.

- OEM accessories being back ordered or no longer available. Things like rear trunk spoiler, spare tire kit, or even splash guards might be harder to find if you want them.

- Other RLX hybrid owners recommend doing the 7DCT DW-1 fluid change every 30,000 miles. I just did this with my 19 MDX hybrid with +32,000 miles for around $200 at the dealership (probably $40 if you DYI). I will do the 7DCT drain/fill once my RLX hits 30,000 miles. Plan on doing the same if you don't have the service record of it being done. The rear twin electric motors (TMU-twin motor unit) also take the exact same DW-1 fluid.

Last edited by mrgold35; 02-28-2022 at 07:52 AM.
rlx015 (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 08:35 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mrgold35
i have an 18 RLX Sport Hybrid I purchased CPO with 7200 miles back in Dec/2019. I was looking coast-to-coast and that was the only red/ebony RLX I could find at that time. I live in NM and purchased my RLX near Sacramento, CA. We did everything over the internet with the Acura dealership, The wife and I flew out on Friday, did a 20 min test drive, signed paperwork, and drove back over the weekend. We never did something like that before and was taking a huge chance if there was an issue discovered while there. The low mileage, the RLX was purchased/serviced/traded in at the same Acura dealership, it was the sales manager's daily driver, and it was CPO made us take a chance. Zero regrets and always fun to drive after +2 years and +11,000 miles. Planning to keep for +100,000 miles or if Acura comes out with a replacement RLX for the next gen of vehicles.

The red/ebony is still a very hard combo to find in the 2019/2020 model years also. You might have to pay a premium and willing to travel if one pops up.

The only issues I've had with my RLX are:
- no updates yet to the 2017/2018 map system database. I have Acuralink and I send addresses to the navi and it seems to work 95% of the time (might have to move the car for better reception sometimes). Using my iPhone and sending by Acuralink is the only way I can use the RLX navi. You will end up punching the navi screen if you try to input address by hand (probably the hardest manual input Acura has made for navi addresses).

- Did the TSB #20-040 7DCT odd gear software upgrade. No issues before the upgrade and haven't felt any change in shifting, mpgs, or performance after software upgrade.

- New OEM battery after 3 years because of "U0104-00 Cruise control may not work properly with braking system" and "U1100 gauge control module loss of communication cleared". Acura vehicle don't like to sit for weeks/months without being driven because the 12v battery will slowly drain. 99% of the errors or issues is because of low voltage from the 12v system. You might only need to charge the battery or get a new battery if you test drive a RLX that sat on a lot for a while with error codes.

- I had to re-adjust the driver's side wiper because it was hitting the side windshield pillar (dealership)

- the low profile rim/tires are not pothole friendly. I got a pinch flat on the sidewall 3 days after purchase when I hit a winter caused pothole on hwy exit only lane. I was lucky I didn't bend the OEM rims and I installed the spare tire kit at time of purchase. It took almost 2 weeks to get the replacement tire in and set an appointment at Discount Tires. Decided to go with aftermarket rims because OEM replacement rims are expensive and will become impossible to find in a few years.

Other "aspects" about the RLX are:
- OEM glass replacement is expensive and hard to find. Windshield replacement must include calibration for upper cameras and be able to reflect the HUD image. Might have to double-check your car insurance policy on windshield replacement.

- I had hail damage from a freak storm in May of 2021. It took until Oct to get the replacement parts in and get the RLX repaired. Expect to wait months for replacement parts and double-check your insurance policy if you need a loaner for that long. I still had my 11 MDX as back-up while I parked my RLX.

- small 15 gal gas tank. Not an issue for city or commuter driving; but, can be a PITA of longer trips. An extremely stiff headwind at hwy speeds in hilly terrain can drop mpgs in high teens/low 20s at +80 mph. Normally, I get 29-34 mpg on the hwy depending on posted speed.

- limited trunk space. More than enough room for 4 adults for a long out of town getaway in the cabin; but, only enough luggage space for 2 or 3 in the trunk.

- OEM accessories being back ordered or no longer available. Things like rear trunk spoiler, spare tire kit, or even splash guards might be harder to find if you want them.

- Other RLX hybrid owners recommend doing the 7DCT DW-1 fluid change every 30,000 miles. I just did this with my 19 MDX hybrid with +32,000 miles for around $200 at the dealership (probably $40 if you DYI). I will do the 7DCT drain/fill once my RLX hits 30,000 miles. Plan on doing the same if you don't have the service record of it being done. The rear twin electric motors (TMU-twin motor unit) also take the exact same DW-1 fluid.
Thank you for all of your insight!

My wife and I pride ourselves on getting a great deal on vehicles and have always travelled to get the right car (tougher now that we have younger kiddos, but we still find a way). We just bought a '18 Audi Q7 (loaded, 90k msrp lol) in Maryland and drove it home to Minnesota because it was probably $7 to $10k under priced on average nationally, even more locally here in MN. It was actually a fun trip and we saved probably $500 on getting it shipped (we also got to see it and drive it before writing the check).
Old 02-28-2022, 09:40 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by tgerold
Thank you for all of your insight!

My wife and I pride ourselves on getting a great deal on vehicles and have always travelled to get the right car (tougher now that we have younger kiddos, but we still find a way). We just bought a '18 Audi Q7 (loaded, 90k msrp lol) in Maryland and drove it home to Minnesota because it was probably $7 to $10k under priced on average nationally, even more locally here in MN. It was actually a fun trip and we saved probably $500 on getting it shipped (we also got to see it and drive it before writing the check).
That was the issue we had with local RLX hybrids in a 12hr radius being $3000-$4500 more with 3X-5X higher mileage on them than the one we found on 16hrs away in Sacramento. We actually saved money purchasing in CA compared to local AND we got a nice weekend get-away with overnight stays in Reno and Las Vegas before the pandemic hit. One thing the CA Acura dealership did was suggest we hire a local driver and we drive the car 2 hours to Reno, NV. We signed/notarized the paperwork at a UPS Store to not have to pay CA 7.5% sales tax (the driver was to get the salesman back home). The CA sales tax was more than double compared to NM 3% if we signed at the CA dealership. We just paid the sales tax when we got the car registered in NM.
Old 02-28-2022, 01:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 333 Likes on 230 Posts
My wife and I have two Sport Hybrids - 2017 MDX and 2020 RLX. Both drivetrain are nearly identical. Only had to replace 12V batteries (twice now) on the MDX. All covered under 50K miles warranty. Found out that wife was keeping her keyfob in her purse which is sitting on desk which was next to garage. The car was constantly communicating with the keyfob leading to battery drain. We moved the keyfobs further away, no issues so far. These cars are bullet proof. Very reliable if you keep up with all the maintenance. Those 7DCT and TMU fluid changes are especially critical. DO NOT MISSED THEM. Unfortunately, you will have a very difficult time finding these ultra rare cars. Acura only made a few of them and those lucky enough to secure one aren't letting them go. As Mr gold mentioned, parts of these cars are hard to come by now that's it is discontinued. I had a rock strike leading to cracked windshield on my RLX last year. Had to wait nearly 4 months for replacement to arrive from Japan. Didn't help that Covid restrictions caused major shipping delays. So keep that in mind if you want this car. It may be difficult to find replacement parts.
Old 02-28-2022, 03:24 PM
Cruisin'

That was the issue we had with local RLX hybrids in a 12hr radius being $3000-$4500 more with 3X-5X higher mileage on them than the one we found on 16hrs away in Sacramento. We actually saved money purchasing in CA compared to local AND we got a nice weekend get-away with overnight stays in Reno and Las Vegas before the pandemic hit. One thing the CA Acura dealership did was suggest we hire a local driver and we drive the car 2 hours to Reno, NV. We signed/notarized the paperwork at a UPS Store to not have to pay CA 7.5% sales tax (the driver was to get the salesman back home). The CA sales tax was more than double compared to NM 3% if we signed at the CA dealership. We just paid the sales tax when we got the car registered in NM.
Originally Posted by jdpdata
My wife and I have two Sport Hybrids - 2017 MDX and 2020 RLX. Both drivetrain are nearly identical. Only had to replace 12V batteries (twice now) on the MDX. All covered under 50K miles warranty. Found out that wife was keeping her keyfob in her purse which is sitting on desk which was next to garage. The car was constantly communicating with the keyfob leading to battery drain. We moved the keyfobs further away, no issues so far. These cars are bullet proof. Very reliable if you keep up with all the maintenance. Those 7DCT and TMU fluid changes are especially critical. DO NOT MISSED THEM. Unfortunately, you will have a very difficult time finding these ultra rare cars. Acura only made a few of them and those lucky enough to secure one aren't letting them go. As Mr gold mentioned, parts of these cars are hard to come by now that's it is discontinued. I had a rock strike leading to cracked windshield on my RLX last year. Had to wait nearly 4 months for replacement to arrive from Japan. Didn't help that Covid restrictions caused major shipping delays. So keep that in mind if you want this car. It may be difficult to find replacement parts.
Thank you, jdpdata!

Since you and mrgold35 are both are multi-model sport hybrid owners, I have a couple questions for you:

1. I like the idea of more space in the MDX SH, but I think I like the additional power and luxury that the RLX SH offers. What is the biggest difference between the two models that you guys notice? Is the 3.5L engine and bump in power/torque really noticeable in the RLX?
2. Do you have a favorite? Which is more enjoyable to drive on commutes and longer drives? I commute around 75 miles a day, 95% at about 75mph, and I've been leaning towards the RLX due to additional power, luxury/comfort, Krell audio, and in general I do prefer sedan driving dynamics.
3. I know you aren't supposed to, but any chance either of you have tried pulling a small trailer with either car? 1klbs or under?

Again, thanks so much in advance for all the valuable insights!
Old 02-28-2022, 03:30 PM
Burning Brakes

1. The RLX is much more powerful. When I first let my wife drove it, she commented "Dang, this thing hauls ass!" I get a big grin on my face every time I put my foot down. It's really amazing for such a huge car.
2. RLX is my favorite by far. But I do like the suspension on the MDX more. The RLX is a bit too soft for my taste. If they gave the RLX-SH same suspension and IDS modes as MDX-SH, it would be a perfect car.
3. Towing is not recommended for Sport Hybrids.

I say if you have a long commute and you're in the car mostly by yourself or only with your wife, RLX is a better choice. We got the MDX for family road trips. It's perfectly suited for that task. Good luck with your search!
rlx015 (03-01-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 03:46 PM
Cruisin'

1. The RLX is much more powerful. When I first let my wife drove it, she commented "Dang, this thing hauls ass!" I get a big grin on my face every time I put my foot down. It's really amazing for such a huge car.
2. RLX is my favorite by far. But I do like the suspension on the MDX more. The RLX is a bit too soft for my taste. If they gave the RLX-SH same suspension and IDS modes as MDX-SH, it would be a perfect car.
3. Towing is not recommended for Sport Hybrids.

I say if you have a long commute and you're in the car mostly by yourself or only with your wife, RLX is a better choice. We got the MDX for family road trips. It's perfectly suited for that task. Good luck with your search!
Thanks again my friend!
Old 02-28-2022, 04:31 PM
mrgold35

I Purchased the 19 MDX Adv hybrid first in March of 2019 to replace my 08 RDX tech I handed down to my daughter. The MDX SH is a great for traveling if you need to take more people and/or gear. Plenty of space when the wife and I did 6 day 1600 miles round-trip with our college age son and girlfriend to the Grand Canyon (North & South rims and Sedona). Very comfy, sporty SUV, and decent mpgs of 24-26 with hwy speeds of 70-85 mph. I also like the MDX because of its utility if you need to make Home Depot or IKEA runs. I also added an OEM hitch+harness and full size spare tire since it travel so much. The hitch is for 4 bike platform rack or my swing out cargo carrier (I also added OEM crossbars for my Yakima Rocketbox). The 7DCT isn't designed for towing and you might get overheat warnings if you do low speed manuvers (like riding the clutch stuff you wiould do with a manual+towing). More than 1/2 of my +32,000 miles in the last 3 years are from out of state road trips.

MDX Hybrid Pros:
- Carplay, I like have 4 navi programs to pick from when traveling
- updated info-tainment (auto heat/ventilated seats setting, higher touch screen graphics & resolution, updated Power distribution monitor, a touch faster response from touch screen)
- electronic dampers for comfort and Sport modes
- 4 IDS modes (Comfort, Normal, Sport, Sport+)
- fog lights on Adv are a touch more usable and put out more light
- real wood trim and chrome accents around seat controls
- mpgs around the 24-26 range (24.4 lifetime with +32,000 miles, 20.5 mpg my lowest in winter city, 28.5 best at 75-80 mph for 325 miles)
- excellent LED headlights

MDX Hybrid Cons:
- 3.0L can feel underpowered hauling +4500lbs once you get to hwy speeds
- MDX hybrid is 100% fwd at +84 mph
- mpgs around the 24-26 range (24.4 lifetime with +32,000 miles, 20.5 mpg my lowest in winter city, 28.5 best at 75-80 mph for 325 miles)
- Hybrid mode doesn't engage as early, as long, provide as much power, or at higher speeds compared to the RLX
- engine always starts up in reverse
- the cpt chairs are not as comfy as the RLX rear seats for me (6'3" and 300lbs)
- interior materials and look isn't as nice as the RLX
- no Krell audio
- mpgs in the low 20s at/below freezing in city driving or stiff head winds. Didn't see the same mpg drop in freezing temps with 100% hwy driving

I liked the MDX SH so much, I decided to look for an RLX hybrid at the end of 2019 to replace my 11 MDX Adv+Ent. Prices for the RLX then were dirt cheap, Acura dealerships had 1-5 collecting dust on their lots, depreciation for luxury sedans was $10,000 - $20,000 the first year because of SUVs/CUVs craze.

The RLX hybrid with the 3.5L engine is a Figgin' beast! No way this thing is only 377hp/341tq. It really feels like it is +400 hp/tq and power is pretty much instant with the 3 electric motors; PLUS, you still get +28 mpgs. I would floor it to pass 18 wheelers on 2 lane hwys starting at 70-75 mph and be 110-120 mph when I start to merge back into my lane. I'm between 95-105 mph on the MDX hybrid for the same maneuver. The MDX hybrid with 3.5L would neck and neck with the 22 MDX Type-S in performance.

RLX Hybrid Pros:
- improved mpgs of 28--29 city and 29-31 hwy, seen as high as 34 mpg hwy at 75 mph, NEVER got below 27 mpg in +2 years and +11,000 miles.
- amount of hp/tq on tap, you will be looking for reason to tap into that power
- EV mode engages sooner, longer, with more power, and at higher speeds
- EV mode is available in reverse when the system is ready
- more leg and elbow room for front passengers (touch less room from my size 14 shoes in front passenger seat)
- HUD and Krell are excellent
- very wide and comfy front seats
- Jewel eye headlights look upscale
- gorgeous rear tail lights at night
- road and wind noise is probably the lowest I've experienced with any Honda/Acura vehicle

RLX Hybrid Cons:
- no electronic 2nd row climate control, no back seat door storage, no seat adjustments, no fold down rear seats, no pass through for long items
- no Carplay; but, you can add GROM like others
- very soft suspension set a Buick levels (MDX hybrid handles better)
- nose heavy
- manual seat heat and ventilated controls
- plastic wood color trim
- No IDS modes like MDX, just normal and Sport modes (RLX sport mode = MDX Sport+ mode)
- no trunk close button and limited trunk space because of battery pack
- rim/tire combo isn't pothole friendly, already replace front tire from pinch flat after hitting winter caused pot hole 3 days after purchase
- very low cabin lighting at night, doesn't help I have the ebony interior (MDX has brighter at night)

Last edited by mrgold35; 02-28-2022 at 04:33 PM.
vpasla1 (09-18-2024)
Old 02-28-2022, 04:45 PM
Cruisin'

I Purchased the 19 MDX Adv hybrid first in March of 2019 ... Snip...
Excellent info, just what I was looking for, thank you!
Old 03-01-2022, 04:45 AM
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by tgerold
Hi all,

I'm new here, hello world! I'm beginning to look at my next car purchase and I can't find a better balanced car for my driving needs than the 18+ RLX Sport Hybrid. Power, Efficiency, Comfort in spades, and *hopefully* reliability too. That's my first question here - for those of you who daily your rlx sport hybrid, what issues have you seen with the car? Are their common failures for the sport hybrids in particular that a guy should expect coming into ownership?

As I start my (likely long) search to find a reasonably priced Brilliant Red Metallic with the ebony interior, what are some things a guy should look for (or look out for) while searching?

Thanks in advance for the discussion!
Mine's red too....love the color. Make sure the car you get has had all the driveline fluid servicing at the right intervals. See attached.
Attached Files
Old 03-01-2022, 08:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 312 Likes on 216 Posts
So I'll give a slightly different perspective. Our household has an '18 RLX Sport Hybrid (Black/Seacoast), and a '19 MDX SH-AWD Advance (non-hybrid, red/parchment). I've also driven an MDX Sport Hybrid a couple of times, and can provide that perspective.

Overall, I really love the RLX with its performance and comfort. It's scary-fast when you get into it. It's my wife's car, and she moved into the RLX from a '12 TL SH-AWD she had for 7 years. And she loves it as well. but make no mistake, the RLX is not a real sporty handling car - at least as compared to other Acura vehicles. It's luxury and smoothness at its best. The drivetrain is solid. Only issue we've had (3 years, 13k miles) is that when it sits for several days the AcuraLink app sends an email saying the power is low and it's time to drive it (the 12v battery). Not a problem - just a nag-o-gram. :-)

In terms of the MDX, I actually prefer the non-Hybrid version. Now it could be I have a '19 model (where it has some updated HW for the 9-speed tranny) and I also have an advance with its features. And I also periodically tow a small utility trailer, which you can't do with a hybrid version of the MDX. I find that the handling and performance of the non-hybrid MDX exceeds my expectations, and it's actually the car we take more than the RLX since it's a bit easier egress-wise and can haul more stuff.

Just one point of view here to add to the discussion. We bought the RLX as a dealer-owned exec loaner CPO with only 1200 miles 3 years ago this month.

andy
Old 03-01-2022, 01:28 PM
Burning Brakes

OT: Does anyone know for sure if service code 01ACZ6 Rear Diff is same as TMU service fluid change? I had that done at around 13K miles on the 2017 MDX-SH. At 32.5K miles now so I guess it's due for another TMU and AT fluid change. Thanks Dan for reminder!

Argh crap, I think they used the wrong fluid on my Rear Diff change. It's listed at 08200-9007A Fluid, AWD on receipt. I think that's for the older AWD Acura. They're supposed to use 08200-9008A, DW1. Uploaded copy of receipt.You all think this is going to cause any major long-term issues? Been driving with this fluid for almost 20K miles now. Haven't noticed any differences.

Wrong fluid!!

Last edited by jdpdata; 03-01-2022 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-01-2022, 01:34 PM
mrgold35

Never seen a code like that? I did my TMUs at around 15k-17k on my 18RLX and 19MDX. Just did my 19 MDX hybrid 7DCT at 32,000 miles last month for $204 at the dealership (no code, just CYA). Probably going to keep the TMU at 30k intervals (15k, 45k, 75k, 105k) and 7DCT on the same 30k schedule (30k, 60k, 90k, 120k).
Old 03-01-2022, 06:01 PM
Burning Brakes

OP @tgerold : The Sport Hybrids are great cars, but if you do get around to owning one make sure your local Acura dealer knows the differences in fluid requirements for Sport Hybrids vs regular ICE cars. My local dealer already screwed me over twice for over-filling engine oil and now wrong ATF fluids. This could be a major CON on the list because you constantly have to be careful they're doing it right after each fluid changes. Or if you're mechanically incline, you can do all fluid changes yourself to make sure it's done correctly. Just something to keep in mind.

Old 03-01-2022, 08:19 PM
Cruisin'

OP @tgerold : The Sport Hybrids are great cars, but if you do get around to owning one make sure your local Acura dealer knows the differences in fluid requirements for Sport Hybrids vs regular ICE cars. My local dealer already screwed me over twice for over-filling engine oil and now wrong ATF fluids. This could be a major CON on the list because you constantly have to be careful they're doing it right after each fluid changes. Or if you're mechanically incline, you can do all fluid changes yourself to make sure it's done correctly. Just something to keep in mind.
Absolutely. I do all of my own maintenance, I think the car seems pretty DIY friendly from a fluid change perspective. Anyone here do their own maintenance? Any reports on the ease of DIY maintenance? Anyone do a brake job yet?
Old 03-01-2022, 09:17 PM
Burning Brakes

I tried doing my own oil change once. Ended up stripping the oil pan thread. Simple oil change turned into a nightmare costing me $650 for new oil pan. Ever since then I swore I'll never touch any car again 😂
Old 03-02-2022, 11:25 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
love my ‘18 SH that I bought used. Only issue is I can’t seem to get the mpgs that everyone is reporting. Highest ever shown on the gauge was 24. I’m constantly looking over at the EV/gas split screen and majority of the time the car is using the gas engine. Some days it’ll record 0.0 for the EV side vs something like 33.1 for the gasoline side.

Ive tried feathering it, driving below 72mpg on an extended trip on the parkway.

Also ripped from 0-60 on empty roads and I really think this car is faster than the 4.9 seconds that’s claimed.

But back to the question- i’ve only done oil changes and got a flat tire. The stock michelins were hard to find. I located a Midas shop after almost a week of asking around. It got a puncture on the sidewall so no patching. Had to replace the whole tire.
Old 03-02-2022, 11:57 AM
mrgold35

I had the same issue with the OEM tires with a non-repairable pinch flat in the sidewall from a pothole and taking weeks for a replacement tire (so glad I followed forum members advice about getting the RLX spare tire kit). I ended up switching to aftermarket rims and I purchased one OEM tire to use as a full size spare on an OEM rim. I may end up bending the OEM rim on the next pothole and going aftermarket rims seemed the way to go to save me a headache down the road.
Old 03-03-2022, 08:03 PM
Cruisin'

Got excited for a second, then I see the seacoast interior 😭
Old 03-03-2022, 08:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Dang they want $40K for a 2019 with that many miles. I got my 2020 for $43.5 with only 4300 miles, virtually brand new. Seacoast is nice. I just don't like a white steering wheel or light headliner. Bad time to buy a Used car. Dealers are all jacking up the prices.
phile (03-04-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 11:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Dang they want $40K for a 2019 with that many miles. I got my 2020 for $43.5 with only 4300 miles, virtually brand new. Seacoast is nice. I just don't like a white steering wheel or light headliner. Bad time to buy a Used car. Dealers are all jacking up the prices.
I got my 2020 with then 8k miles for $43k almost a year ago. Looks like I can sell it for mid-high $40k's in this market based on that ask noted above. Like @phile above, my fuel economy sucks, but car is still really enjoyable to drive.
Old 03-04-2022, 06:32 AM
mrgold35

This was the only red/ebony I found on Autotrader. Used car prices are out of control! I paid $41,500 for my CPO 18 RLX in Dec/2019 with 7200 miles (no haggle dealership). That at the time was one of the lowest price with CPO and under 10k mileage (the only red/ebony).

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Last edited by mrgold35; 03-04-2022 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-04-2022, 06:36 AM
Cruisin'

This was the only red/ebony I found on Autotrader.

Yep, outta my price range 👎 that one was listed at 62k just last week lol
Old 03-04-2022, 06:55 AM
mrgold35

Might have to go to your second color combo choice. Even my 19 MDX Adv hybrid with 32,000 miles goes for $45,000 to $50,000 in the used market.
Old 03-04-2022, 08:34 AM
Cruisin'

Might have to go to your second color combo choice. Even my 19 MDX Adv hybrid with 32,000 miles goes for $45,000 to $50,000 in the used market.
Luckily I can be patient. This will be the nicest car I've ever purchased for myself (non-family car, essentially a boss-ass commuter). Sometime here in 2022 is my goal, though with $115+ / barrel oil maybe I'll stick with my sonata hybrid for a while yet haha
Old 03-04-2022, 09:41 AM
mrgold35

The only other Acura that comes close to the RLX color combo is the previous gen TLX PMC. You would get the same hwy mpgs; but, with almost 90 less hp.

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...020-acura-tlx/

Last edited by mrgold35; 03-04-2022 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-04-2022, 09:47 AM
Cruisin'

The only other Acura that comes close to the RLX color combo is the previous gen TLX PMC. You would get the same hwy mpgs; but, with almost 90 less hp.

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...020-acura-tlx/
right, and with less comfort, space, acceleration, audio, etc. Cool car, just not the fast comfort mobile with tons of interior space and a great audio system that I'm looking for.

On a side note, the q7 we just purchased has the up level B&O advanced system, and it is unbelievable. I've never heard anything like it. It help that the cabin if the q7 is so isolated and quiet as well I don't expect the Krell to live up to it, but if it's 75% there that would still be a huge win. Only thing I'm worried about with the krell is bass and the stock subs.
The following 2 users liked this post by tgerold:
mrgold35 (03-04-2022), neuronbob (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 12:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Krell system lacks low-end bass, but it's very balanced and has zero distortion at high volume. I like it very much over my previous Lexus Mark Levinson or the MDX ELS studio sound systems. Sound is very subjective and depends on what kind of music you listen to.
sooththetruth (01-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2022, 02:22 PM
Senior Moderator

This was the only red/ebony I found on Autotrader. Used car prices are out of control! I paid $41,500 for my CPO 18 RLX in Dec/2019 with 7200 miles (no haggle dealership). That at the time was one of the lowest price with CPO and under 10k mileage (the only red/ebony).

OH HELLLLLLLLLL NO. That’s what new ones were going for before the pandemic because hardly anyone wanted them.
Old 03-04-2022, 03:53 PM
mrgold35

I don't see any prices dropping this year between chip shortage, gas prices, supply chain issues, inflation. and war in Europe. Lexus made a GS450h hybrid with similar size, performance, luxury, and mgps. The Lexus GS has the same issues like the RLX of being discontinued and extremely hard to find.
Old 03-04-2022, 04:11 PM
Burning Brakes

The Lexus GS450h has a worst CVT transmission. I came from a regular 2015 GS350 RWD and didn't even bother to consider the GS450h as an upgrade. The 7DCT in the RLX/MDX is much superior to that horrible Toyota CVT.
Now if it was 2016+ GS-F/RC-F in the equation, hellz yeah!!!
mrgold35 (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 08:18 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
i would just take the seacoast interior. These SH were already rare before the used market got out of control. it won’t get any easier to find one with that kind of mileage or in that condition. if that is truly ur dream car. when I had my punctured tire replaced, the tech jokingly but kinda serious asked if I wanted to sell mine. he was really impressed with it. said he never knew Acuras were so nice inside. i have the graystone interior.
Old 03-04-2022, 10:05 PM
Senior Moderator

I agree. I originally wanted red with black, but red with Seacoast looks really good in person. As long as you maintain the Seacoast interior well, it won’t stain badly. I use leather cleaner on mine every month or so during the warm season. I’ve slacked off during the winter, but now that the worst of the winter weather is over, I will catch up on the interior cleaning.
Old 03-04-2022, 11:21 PM
Cruisin'

Glad to hear you guys like them so much, I really need one to come up locally so I can at least test drive one.

I'm holding out - gotta get me that black headliner, for me that makes the Interior. I'd potentially bite on a metallic grey one with an ebony interior too, that could look great with a chrome delete as well.
Old 03-05-2022, 06:49 AM
mrgold35

I like the ebony interior on my 11 MDX (silver/ebony) and RLX (red/ebony). The only bad thing about ebony is the lack of contrast of color between the different interior surfaces. Ebony can make the vehicles look like I'm looking out of a cave with the dark tinted windows. My 06 TSX (metallic gray/graystone), 08 RDX (red/taupe) and 19 MDX (blue/graystone) really brighten up the interior. You still get plenty of black, brushed aluminum, plastic trim accents along dash and doors with lighter interior colors to improve the look. You can also add black all weather floor mats that improves the look even more. I wouldn't count out the lighter interiors until you see them in person.

RLX interior in closed lighted garage.

Quick Reply: RLX Sport Hybrid - reliability and watch outs