Nothing makes you appreciate your car ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 06:06 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Nothing makes you appreciate your car ...

... like driving lesser cars.

I've been in the position the last month of driving lots of different makes and models of cars, trucks and SUV's. Some not bad, some not so good. But when I get in my RLX at the end of the day, it feels luxurious, the ride is cushy and I feel like I'm driving a real luxury car.

You may have experienced the same thing when you had your car in the shop and drove a loaner car for a few days, but it's sometimes the antidote to complaints about your car. :wink:

The following users liked this post:
hondamore (04-14-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 06:17 PM
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 96 Posts
I agree. I fly home and get into my car after driving a rental car and always say, "this is so much better than the rental car". This was true when my 2006 RL was eight years old and much more so with my 2014 RLX.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:26 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
... like driving lesser cars.

I've been in the position the last month of driving lots of different makes and models of cars, trucks and SUV's. Some not bad, some not so good. But when I get in my RLX at the end of the day, it feels luxurious, the ride is cushy and I feel like I'm driving a real luxury car.

You may have experienced the same thing when you had your car in the shop and drove a loaner car for a few days, but it's sometimes the antidote to complaints about your car.
Yup. :-)

Went through two extended periods driving a TLX Advance.

Nothing really wrong with a TLX. It's just that the RLX is nicer.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:47 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Likewise with a TLX loaner several times in the past couple of months (headlights, wind noise, recent bent rim and blown tire in the world's deepest pothole). A perfectly fine car, but in a different class. I haven't enjoyed a car this much since my first Legend in '88.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
No offense meant, but I sooo disagree with this thread. You should NOT have to experience a lesser product to value the current product you have, especially for the amount of money we paid for this car. Shouldn't a well designed and executed product just speak for itself and not require you to have to step down to something less in order to regain appreciation for it? Complaints are one thing, flat out design issues and poor execution are another thing.

I know that if I was the product manager behind the RLX, I'd see this thread as an insult. Seriously...take a second to really understand the implication behind what you guys are saying in this thread.

I understand what it is to be in a lower end car to come back to a nice car, I was in a Dodge minivan for over a month while my RLX was in the repair shop. But I absolutely disagree with the notion that this should be the way you justify or "smooth" over the problems of a poorly executed product.

I've experienced lots of products in my time that while they may not have been perfect, didn't cause me to have to question constantly whether I felt good or not about investing in it, nor did they require me to have to stoop down to something lower to be able to regain perspective and appreciation for what I had. I just felt that way all the time. From cars, to tech gadgets, to clothes, to appliances, etc. etc. The RLX is by far the most expensive item I've ever spent money on outside of a home. And unfortunately it does not my make the "list" for me of well executed products.

Last edited by holografique; 03-03-2015 at 11:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by holografique:
miner (03-04-2015), TacoBello (03-03-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 12:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,005 Likes on 534 Posts
^^I believe what is being said in this thread is that the quality of materials and luxury "feel" of the RLX is superior to other models in the Acura stable. Lesser models can have many of the same technology bells and whistles as the RLX, but they can't match the inherent luxury of the interior - and that is the reason luxury car buyers buy luxury cars.
We all get your frustration over the suspension and other early adopter issues and Acura apparently listened to you and others and have redesigned the PAWS RLX suspension, but the premise of the original poster stands as valid in my eye.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:19 AM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
No offense meant, but I sooo disagree with this thread. You should NOT have to experience a lesser product to value the current product you have, especially for the amount of money we paid for this car. Shouldn't a well designed and executed product just speak for itself and not require you to have to step down to something less in order to regain appreciation for it? Complaints are one thing, flat out design issues and poor execution are another thing.

I know that if I was the product manager behind the RLX, I'd see this thread as an insult. Seriously...take a second to really understand the implication behind what you guys are saying in this thread.

I understand what it is to be in a lower end car to come back to a nice car, I was in a Dodge minivan for over a month while my RLX was in the repair shop. But I absolutely disagree with the notion that this should be the way you justify or "smooth" over the problems of a poorly executed product.

I've experienced lots of products in my time that while they may not have been perfect, didn't cause me to have to question constantly whether I felt good or not about investing in it, nor did they require me to have to stoop down to something lower to be able to regain perspective and appreciation for what I had. I just felt that way all the time. From cars, to tech gadgets, to clothes, to appliances, etc. etc. The RLX is by far the most expensive item I've ever spent money on outside of a home. And unfortunately it does not my make the "list" for me of well executed products.
I haven't had much experience of driving other cars (other than my wife's '05 TSX) since I have gotten the Sport Hybrid. My feeling is still the same as when I took my first test drive........I look forward to getting into the and driving it. It just gives great pleasure. I do agree that you should not have to drive something of lesser quality to appreciate your current ride but I'm not sure that was what the OP meant. i took his observation to mean that it made him miss his ride when he had to drive something else. Not quite the same thing.
The following users liked this post:
fsmith (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 03:16 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique

You're taking it too seriously, Holographique. I wasn't implying that it took a lesser car to make me appreciate my RLX; rather, that I appreciate it all the more when I get out of other cars and into it.

It was intended as a compliment.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:42 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
the holographic guy hates that car so much I have to rethink this whole idea. I haven't seen 1 person say they hate their GS300 etc. People hate that they have a problem with it that can't be fixed but don't hate the car in general.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Holographique is mostly (and reasonably, thank you ) upset because he leased at full price, and because he had general issues with the suspension. His criticisms reflect the issues some have had with the car. Again, not every one of these cars has that issue. He is one of the PAWS beta testers whose efforts and posts have led to improvements in the car, so he is more than entitled to his opinion.

You seem a lot anxious. To fix that:

Just go test drive both the GS and RLX and report back afterward. If the RLX sucks for you, don't buy it. It's really that simple.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
hondamore (04-14-2015), Mike_TX (04-18-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 06:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Thank you Bob for being one of the few that truly understands my position.

I'd also add that my general dissastisfaction with the RLX was in the lack of additional luxury features the car should have had day 1 at the price it commanded compared to the competition. And for the record I payed $63,437 on my lease. That's more money than some of the SH Hybrid owners paid. That's where I really get upset. And the sad part is there's nothing I can do or get compensated on for having put my loyalty into the brand to get shafted on beta-testing a new product that shouldnt have been a beta-test. Beta-testing is for computer software or musical instruments. Not for $60k vehicles that people work hard and pay hard earned money for. Had I paid $38-$44k like some of you have gotten on a brand new 2014 PAWS model, then yea, I would be in a very different position all together. Cause at that price, its absolutely an amazing deal. Even if I'd paid $50k new I'd still feel much better about it. But $63k and the fact that I could be driving a Hybrid for less than that, that's where it stings the most.

The whole reason Ive been so adament in posting about much needed inprovements is in hopes that Acura is watching and listening (and it seems they have to a degree). I didnt buy my RLX. I leased. And that means I want the RLX to survive so that its still available as a product (and a better one) when my lease is up and have to make a new lease decision. I dont want the RLX to be discontinued like the ZDX as a result of dismal sales numbers. 197 last month? That's embarassing. Sitting here cheering and raving doesnt give Acura the feedback they need to improve the product and increase those sales numbers.

I dont hate my RLX, hate is not an emotion I would even associate with. What I am is highly dissastisfied with the poor job Acura did in the execution of what was supposed to be their flagship. Something that is supposed to represent the best, the "pinnacle" of what a conpany has to offer.

My final note: if Acura truly cares enough about customer retention as part of its business model, then they need to have a solid loyalty program in place for those of us who were the first to unknowingly become "test pilots" for their Skunkworks RLX project and put us all in Hybrids for a very good price. Otherwise they can mark down one more long time loyal customer gone.

Last edited by holografique; 04-14-2015 at 07:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by holografique:
2011TL (04-14-2015), MisterZDX (04-14-2015)