No exhaust system look ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 11:50 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink No exhaust system look ???

Today I went to the Acura dealer and saw the rlx in person. I think the car look ok. But wtf why all the new Acura don't show the exhaust that make it look so dam cheap and ugly.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:56 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
because the car is electric
Old 04-25-2013, 12:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
because the car is electric
The non AWD RLX is NOT electric. Neither is the ILX, and they both have no exhaust finishers showing. Just about a deal breaker for me.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:10 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
red text indicates sarcasm.
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (04-25-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 09:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by justnspace
red text indicates sarcasm.

got it
justnspace (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 06:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
It is to deny the opportunity of ricers installing "go-faster" big bore exhaust pipes.
d1sturb3d119 (05-30-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 07:47 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by db22
It is to deny the opportunity of ricers installing "go-faster" big bore exhaust pipes.

Amen to that!
Old 04-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by dwest1023
The non AWD RLX is NOT electric. Neither is the ILX, and they both have no exhaust finishers showing. Just about a deal breaker for me.
Really, no exhaust finishers is a deal breaker for you. Do you drive behind the car and say wow, no exhaust finishers! I can't believe that if any car is what you want, you won't buy one because of that. I just don't understand
Old 04-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I can tell you while that alone would not be the ultimate deal breaker for me, but it would be a huge penalty in my scoring
Old 04-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
*neuronbob looks at self, who's installed big ass exhaust pipes on every car he's owned recently including his RL*

I personally don't like the "no exhaust" look. I like looking at a nicely done exhaust finisher. That's just me, however.
GoHawks (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 10:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
^ Nothing a carefully placed saw blade couldnt fix
Old 04-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by frainc
Really, no exhaust finishers is a deal breaker for you. Do you drive behind the car and say wow, no exhaust finishers! I can't believe that if any car is what you want, you won't buy one because of that. I just don't understand
Unless there was something extra ordinary about the car, I need dual finishers. I prefer perfomrance cars and I like it to look that way for my money.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

All orifices that expel foul smelling gas should not be exposed unless accompanied with an adjacent inlet port.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dwest1023
Unless there was something extra ordinary about the car, I need dual finishers. I prefer perfomrance cars and I like it to look that way for my money.
If you like performance cars then the RLX is not for you. So to comment on this when you will never buy this car is a diservice to all.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:50 PM

If you like performance cars then the RLX is not for you. So to comment on this when you will never buy this car is a diservice to all.
So we can only comment if we intend to buy the car?
Old 04-27-2013, 06:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
I guess I should stop posting in the ilx, nsx, rdx sections along with audizine, clublexus, mbworld and numerous other sites because I won't be buying any of those cars in the near future, right?

I like big exhaust tips and VISIBLE!
Old 04-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by GoHawks
So we can only comment if we intend to buy the car?
You and everyone else could comment, but it seems that everyone here is beating up on this car because of exhaust tips. Look, I like my tips on my cars but I'm not going to go crazy about them not being their either.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Exactly. I test drove it and decided it was not for me. I considered the 06 RL I owned to be performance. Not so with with the RLX. I don't get your point. Name me a current luxury car in the RLX class that does not have dual finishers.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:09 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Same with the new MDX, seen the New York Auto show pictures and picked up a '13 MDX a week later. Acura must be sharing engineers with Hyundai.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Not an appropriate comment, and you seem to miss the point of automotive forums, which is to offer opinions. If you don't like someone's comments, ignore them and move on.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
^ Nothing a carefully placed saw blade couldnt fix
Old 04-27-2013, 11:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
A nicely done chrome finisher is important to me as well. Dual preferred, but single is ok. A single large one, however, -- like the one on the Civic Si -- is not for me. I'd feel too self-conscious driving with it.

At the other extreme, a quad exhaust system would also make me feel self-conscious... although it works on the Corvette.

The no exhaust system look would only work for me if I were driving a zero emissions vehicle. It's odd that Acura is hiding their tail pipe between their legs.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:32 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Personally I'm indifferent to the exhaust/no-exhaust look. Mine just look ugly after awhile. My sister burned the crap out of her shin on her exhaust, so a hidden exhaust would have been a 'feature' from her perspective.

Either way it is not a factor for me in picking a car.

As far as it makes a car 'look' faster, we could all put giant wings on the back of our car and make them really go fast.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:16 AM
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
As far as it makes a car 'look' faster, we could all put giant wings on the back of our car and make them really go fast.

Really, people should just do this if they want the car to 'look' fast and furious:

BTW- the lack of visible exhaust is a plus in my view.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:26 AM
Racer

[QUOTE=neuronbob;14450394]Not an appropriate comment, and you seem to miss the point of automotive forums, which is to offer opinions. If you don't like someone's comments, ignore them and move on.

OK, I'm done with this. Hope everyone get's their cars with tips, because lord knows that's what make a car. And yes, I know the point of auto forums is to offer opinions but somethings I guess its me when some points about cars make no sense to me.

I will not comment anymore about tips! Everyone have a great day.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:28 AM
Racer

Personally I'm indifferent to the exhaust/no-exhaust look. Mine just look ugly after awhile. My sister burned the crap out of her shin on her exhaust, so a hidden exhaust would have been a 'feature' from her perspective.

Either way it is not a factor for me in picking a car.

I agree.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Since some don't think tips are important, why not just put hubcaps on instead of wheels? That surely will save Acura tons off money.
GoHawks (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Just wanted to add that for me, having chrome tips isn't about looking fast. It's about a detail being "finished." For luxury cars, details matter. I learned somewhere here at acurazine that on the wheels, the valve stems line up with the Acura caliper logo! Wow! I guess I am easily amused.

Also, if I press unlock on the remote twice and hold, all the windows and the sunroof open!

Attention to trivial details suggest that the company also sweated the important stuff like handling, comfort, reliability, build quality, amenities. Evidence of shortcuts reflect badly on a luxury brand.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Sorry for being late to the party but I also like the look of dual exhausts but I can forgive its absence on some vehicles. On a flagship, I am 50/50 and on a SUV, I can forgive it (such the RDX), however, completely removing them from ALL their lineup is a bit silly. I get that car companies are trying to develop a common look (or a theme) for their vehicles but they are taking it a bit to the extreme in my opinion and cheapens the brand (and this is not limited to Acura). If the front looks the same, the rear looks the same and the interior looks the same, then what makes me want to change vehicle and stay within the brand if all I am getting a few extra inches (Gheez, I am now getting what my ex g/f was saying all along - LOL). It seems now that the only way for me to get a something that feels different is buy a different brand rather than a different model....Even the problems are common across the vehicle line up....look at the clunking noise in the RDX and ILX. It just makes driving in the dealer's parking lot a bit boring where now, I have to go there with a measuring tape to see the difference.

I know I am exaggerating but I am just ranting in anticipation of my deception when I see that the TLX will be a mini version of the RLX with no dual exhaust tips, which in my opinion, the TLX should have 100%! In any event, I guess I am just going through my grieving process knowing that this may be my last Acura for a while *sniff sniff*
Old 04-29-2013, 07:52 PM

Funny how things change. I remember back in '99 when the 2nd gen TL was introduced, Dick Colliver (CEO) talked about how hard he fought to get the dual exhaust outlet put on the TL to give is a more sporty and aggressive look. Now they have gotten rid of it completely.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Dick Colliver stepped aside shortly after the 2009 TL was introduced. It was actually his predecessor at Acura that was the one fighting for dual exhaust, Rich Thomas. Who, incidentally, was also the one who dropped the names of the cars.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Colin...I guess I should have done a bit of research before going on a rant. I stand to be corrected....As always, its valuable inside contributor like yourself who makes this forum useful for all of us.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Colin
Dick Colliver stepped aside shortly after the 2009 TL was introduced. It was actually his predecessor at Acura that was the one fighting for dual exhaust, Rich Thomas. Who, incidentally, was also the one who dropped the names of the cars.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Colin
I first read Dick Colliver and Dick Coil-Over. I think I need a break from automotive forums.

Thanks for the insight. So we have Rich Thomas to thank for the dual exhausts (from those of us who like them) and him to blame for dropping the vehicle names! Gee, mixed feelings... which summarizes how I feel about Acura lately.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,005 Likes on 534 Posts
I'll add my name to those indifferent to the exhaust tips/no exhaust tips debate. I'm assuming Acura engineers/designers had a reason for the change, so here is my list of possible reasons for the no exhaust tip look on the RLX and MDX:
1. Style reasons - the designers wanted the newest from Acura to have a new and different look making them instantly recognizable as being the newest and latest.
2. Safety reasons - this is a real stretch, but as Rocket_man suggested, burns are a possibility with rear protruding exhaust tips.
3. Weight saving reasons - another stretch here, but saving 4 feet of exhaust pipes and tips adds up to a bit of a weight savings. If Honda/Acura have shifted focus to "smart luxury" and fuel economy plays a big part in design, then any weight savings is consistent with that philosophy.
4. Ergonomic reasons- I really don't know where the new exhaust tips end, but if they are significantly short of the bumper, it may buy a little extra space in the rear-most section of the trunk. Again, another stretch, but if there are no exhaust pipes in that space, the space can be used for something else.
5. Geographic reasons- perhaps the Japanese designers who had the previous dual exhausts "forced upon them", finally got their way with a new CEO in place.

I'm basing this post on the assumption that Acura removed the tail pipes for a reason and these are all of the speculative reasons that I could come up with.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:43 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
I'll add my name to those indifferent to the exhaust tips/no exhaust tips debate. I'm assuming Acura engineers/designers had a reason for the change, so here is my list of possible reasons for the no exhaust tip look on the RLX and MDX:
1. Style reasons - the designers wanted the newest from Acura to have a new and different look making them instantly recognizable as being the newest and latest.
2. Safety reasons - this is a real stretch, but as Rocket_man suggested, burns are a possibility with rear protruding exhaust tips.
3. Weight saving reasons - another stretch here, but saving 4 feet of exhaust pipes and tips adds up to a bit of a weight savings. If Honda/Acura have shifted focus to "smart luxury" and fuel economy plays a big part in design, then any weight savings is consistent with that philosophy.
4. Ergonomic reasons- I really don't know where the new exhaust tips end, but if they are significantly short of the bumper, it may buy a little extra space in the rear-most section of the trunk. Again, another stretch, but if there are no exhaust pipes in that space, the space can be used for something else.
5. Geographic reasons- perhaps the Japanese designers who had the previous dual exhausts "forced upon them", finally got their way with a new CEO in place.

I'm basing this post on the assumption that Acura removed the tail pipes for a reason and these are all of the speculative reasons that I could come up with.
6. it could be some sort of notion that if you don't see the tips people might think it is a cleaner car (like electrics) and everyone is trying to cater to the green phenomenon lately.. Ok maybe that is a stretch.

I've also heard that DI engines tend to foul up the exhaust tips pretty quickly. So maybe they are trying to hide the (future) mess????

There is certainly a huge after-market for wheels. There is a place just up the highway from me that will rent you wheels; and right across the highway is a place that rents tires. Yes tires. I don't really see any after-market to speak of related to exhaust tips. So I don't think the average consumer is going to put much thought to it. But there are no average consumers here on Acurazine!
hondamore (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 06:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hondamore
I'm basing this post on the assumption that Acura removed the tail pipes for a reason
There was no reason - they just forgot.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:40 AM

6. it could be some sort of notion that if you don't see the tips people might think it is a cleaner car (like electrics) and everyone is trying to cater to the green phenomenon lately.. Ok maybe that is a stretch.

:
I suspect that this may not be such a far fetched reason. With Honda/Acura's push toward hybrid technology, they may want to downplay the internal combustion aspect of their vehicles.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:22 AM
Racer

lol, that's it, after the design and building them, someone say, oh sh$t, we forget the tips! Don't worry, the boss tells everyone, no one will notice!
Old 04-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

LOL - good one.

- to add to Rocket_man's point, I seem to recall the 2G RL having some issue with the exhaust "blackening" or staining the bumper which had a few owners getting their bumpers polished or repainted/refinished under warranty so perhaps we can add:
7. Cosmetic Bumper/Warranty reasons

Also, I forgot the obvious which I believe has been touched on earlier:
8. Cost-saving reasons - Car manufacturers do sometimes like to decrease their costs to increase profits and shiny chromed exhaust tips aren't free.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ok, just one more:
9. Performance reasons - the weight savings of not having exhaust tips (and another 4 feet of exhaust pipes) could translate into a half a tenth in 0 - 60- times. Also, hidden exhaust tips may be shaped/positioned to optimize gas flow/engine performance and don't have to be shaped to "look pretty".

Quick Reply: No exhaust system look ???