Nav Traffic

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014 | 12:15 PM
Safety Car

Nav Traffic

I am now of the opinion that the traffic data is mostly wrong. The technology has been out 10 years now and the traffic info is worse in my RLX than in my previous RL.
Is the Vendor the same?
In the RL, the promary problem was a delay in the flow being displayed. It would sometimes take 15 to 30 minutes for congestion to be displayed. However, in my RLX, it is wrong almost all the time.
On Friday, I was on 20 mile stretch of 580 going west. The flow showed yellow congestion in my west direction and green in the opposite east direction. However, this was the opposite of reality. I was at or above speed limit and eastbound was totally congested with sluggish to stop and go. I watched the flow for over 30 minutes and it never changed.
Then yesterday, I was on 101 going south to Palo Alto from San Mateo. Before getting on Freeway, I noticed that the flow showed yellow in route we were going to take. Decided to get on 101 anyway, as the alternative would have been surface streets. Get on 101 and all was good. In fact, freeway sign indicated time to Palo Alto would be 8 minutes which means no congestion. Had my wife look on google maps on her pheon and everything was green.
But RLX showed yellow congestion all the way to Palo Alto.

Why can't they get this right? Its worthless to me as is and in fact almost had me divert to an alternate route for nothing
The following users liked this post:
victorber (12-23-2014)
Old 12-22-2014 | 07:59 PM
Safety Car

Well I figured out why my traffic is wrong - its "stuck". It has been showing the exact same traffic flow and incidents for the last 4 or 5 days. I noticed over the weekend that everything looked similar, so I started to keep track everytime I got in the car. Every trip all the same. I even took a couple pictures to verify.

Called Customer Service and they are researching. I'll bet I have to take it into the dealer. This is the time when we do need a "Reset" button
Old 12-23-2014 | 10:33 AM
Advanced

I have the same exact issue. The traffic flow is stuck - I get the same traffic information everyday. I also called Acura and I was told to take to car to my dealer so that they can perform diagnostics. Almost seems like system needs a reboot, but how.
Old 12-23-2014 | 08:39 PM
Safety Car

I talked to Customer Relations again today. They confirmed that it is an issue for 2nd Gen Acuralink cars. It is a network wide issue but does not impact all cars - at least that's what they said. They are working to resolve issue and hope to have fixed by Monday.
They said Dealer cannot fix.
George Knighton (12-24-2014)
Old 12-29-2014 | 08:38 PM
Safety Car

Fixed as of this morning.

Customer Relations called me to follow-up. I said they should refund some Acuralink fees. They said Traffic is free for 3 years. I said it is not really free, but bundled in price of car. Anyway, I said they should refund 3 months of the premium Acuralink services I did pay for. We will see what happens
Old 12-31-2014 | 10:28 AM
Racer

I have come to NOT trust the traffic management displayed in the RLX. I will only use it in conjunction with WAZE. I trust WAZE or my Garmin as I know both are using the local feed and WAZE adds the crowd sourcing. Yesterday, it routed me through traffic while showing the dotted green line. I was late and while I cannot blame the system I will certainly keep its weakness in mind.
Old 12-31-2014 | 10:31 AM
Safety Car

Sad that this technology has been out for 10+ years and we cannot trust it
Old 12-31-2014 | 10:36 AM
Racer

I dug in the options menu for NAVI and there is a server routing option. I think it was discussed in some earlier posts. Mine was set to OFF. I am wondering if this setting has any bearing on the reliability of the traffic information provided on the screen. Was this discussed with the Acura CR folks?
Old 12-31-2014 | 10:42 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by getakey
Sad that this technology has been out for 10+ years and we cannot trust it
Hell, I just found out we had bread crumbs.

No idea why that'd be useful but I'll turn it on today and see what it does.

I've evidently had this capability since December 2009 (4G TL 6-6), but it's turned off by default and nobody talks about it!!
Old 12-31-2014 | 10:47 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Zoommer
I dug in the options menu for NAVI and there is a server routing option. I think it was discussed in some earlier posts. Mine was set to OFF. I am wondering if this setting has any bearing on the reliability of the traffic information provided on the screen. Was this discussed with the Acura CR folks?
I did not discuss with CR. I have not found anything in the manual.
I have seen Route options include an "Eco" option for best mileage route. I don't recall if that showed up when I had Server routing turned off.
I do know when traffic was in the "Stuck" mode, turning on/off Server Routing had no effect.
Old 12-31-2014 | 10:51 AM
Racer

The Navi manual specifically states that the traffic is routed through Acuralink and that Acuralink itself works through the server. If I follow the logic=does that mean that server has to be on and operating before traffic is updated OR traffic can operate INDEPENDENT of the server?
Old 12-31-2014 | 11:01 AM
Safety Car

traffic flow displays independent of Server Routing on/off
Zoommer (12-31-2014)
Old 12-31-2014 | 11:58 AM
Pro

This is one of my last few "known unknowns" (sorry for the unpleasant reference) about the car. I have asked everyone I can find (sales, service, etc.) what this does and I can't even think of a logical thing this might do that makes any sense to me. Someone has to know what this does. The software engineer that coded it, perhaps?
Old 12-31-2014 | 12:31 PM
Advanced

I am now of the opinion that the traffic data is mostly wrong. The technology has been out 10 years now and the traffic info is worse in my RLX than in my previous RL.
Is the Vendor the same?
I have the same opinion. There's a couple of places that I drive by almost every day that have exactly the same traffic data (red in one place, yellow in another), every day, no matter what time. It's "stuck". And routes that have horrible traffic due to construction still show "green", even though the problem lasts most of the day.

The vendor is different, at least from my 2005 RL. The previous data came via XM satellite, and only included data on primary routes: interstate highways and toll roads. The new source looks like it may be Google, or at least the same sources as Google. It shows data for secondary roads, as well.

I see from some of the follow-up replies that customer service has finally acknowledged a problem and stopped telling you to "take it to the dealer". So, I'll give it a bit longer for them to find a solution. After that, I'm taking it to Acura, and asking them what they are going to do about it.
Old 01-01-2015 | 07:32 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by George Knighton
No idea why that'd be useful but I'll turn it on today and see what it does.
If anybody's interested, the bread crumbs work but they're almost invisible.

To be any use to me I'd have to park, take my glasses off and squint at the screen, more or less.

I guess if you really do get somehow turned around and really need them, they'd be useful.

Thinking about turning them off again. :-)
Old 01-13-2015 | 11:59 PM
Safety Car

had interesting experience today
put in destination and it routed me to the back roads I usually take and said destination 33 minutes
then said traffic conditions changed and rerouted me more in favor of freeway at 39 minutes
I assumed the other route destination time had changed
However, I rerouted to the back roads and it said 33 minutes which ended up being true
Old 01-14-2015 | 01:47 PM
Safety Car

this is interesting
Acura Customer Relations has been following up with me regarding my request for a credit. They can do the credit, but must cancel current subscription, then get me new one with Acura paying for 3 months of it. Odd.
Then the other tidbit - they say that XM provides the Acuralink services. I thought it had changed, but they were adamant that it is XM. Even the company that answers the Concierge/Agent call is owned by XM now
Old 01-15-2015 | 09:19 AM
Racer

this is interesting
Acura Customer Relations has been following up with me regarding my request for a credit. They can do the credit, but must cancel current subscription, then get me new one with Acura paying for 3 months of it. Odd.
Then the other tidbit - they say that XM provides the Acuralink services. I thought it had changed, but they were adamant that it is XM. Even the company that answers the Concierge/Agent call is owned by XM now
It is...I posted earlier that it used be AGERO Connected (2012)=Sirius XM bought them=there is both a satellite/GSM sim in the car. XM Traffic is what Acura uses--what I do not know is if they supplement with local traffic using FM/GSM.

Search and you will find the articles and announcements on this in this forum.

My NAV seems to be much more active in the last week. The green/yellow~orange/red line is more visible (maybe I am getting used to it); have been re-routed correctly several times (checking against WAZE); and also showing changing arrival times.
Old 01-16-2015 | 07:32 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Zoommer
It is...I posted earlier that it used be AGERO Connected (2012)=Sirius XM bought them=there is both a satellite/GSM sim in the car. XM Traffic is what Acura uses--what I do not know is if they supplement with local traffic using FM/GSM.

Search and you will find the articles and announcements on this in this forum.

My NAV seems to be much more active in the last week. The green/yellow~orange/red line is more visible (maybe I am getting used to it); have been re-routed correctly several times (checking against WAZE); and also showing changing arrival times.
I've noticed the traffic flow lines are thicker as well. Wonder if an update can be applied "over the air"? However, you still can't see it on the Route. I don't know why they changed it from how it displayed traffic on the route before. I don't need to see the traffic in the reverse direction on my Route