I am done with the RLX

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Fabvsix
Reliability is what Acura/Honda are all about....I took my 04 out to dinner last night...Valet guys said it was too clean and look brand new....BEST car I've ever owned ytd...hands down...25K and still looks brand new....
Wow, ten years old and only 25K, that's like 2000 miles a year

No wonder it looks brand new!
Old 05-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by phishfood
Wow, ten years old and only 25K, that's like 2000 miles a year

No wonder it looks brand new!
Also 64 coats of ZAINO makes her BLING..........so it not just a garaged kept RL......ITS CHERRY.....
Old 05-28-2013, 04:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
FYI, CNET and Consumer Reports reviews are not professional reviews. Car and Driver, Motor Trend, Motorweek are ones you want to read. Stay clear of those.

Originally Posted by Bernster
This was not one review but 3 that said there was a problem with the ride. CNET, Consumers Reports and Edmunds. The fact that 3 independent reviewers said the exact same thing is enough for me. I am not a test driver. I rely on what professionals have to say. Plus there have now been numerous reviews knocking the RLX. What do you think that does to resale value?

As to my comment concerning the front end, I made that after seeing the front view on the CNET site and realizing that the LED lights do not really flow well with the "beak". I was willing to overlook styling if everything else was good which it is obviously not.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by noobie
It's a bit lazy by the dealer and it doesn't show the cars well on test drives. Dealer delivered my car recently at 42 psi. Drove around for a couple weeks, before I checked. After I found out what they had done, I experimented at 35, 32 and the settled for 34. What a huge difference between 42 and 32 psi in terms of ride, especially with 20 inch 35 profile tires.
Same. Our MDX was 42 psi. Lowered it down to 32 as the recommended PSI, and it was smooth. It was jittery too at that high pressure.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:58 AM
RLX Advanced #3606

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts
Smile Not Happy with RLX??

Since picking up my RLX (A) this past Friday and having to relearn the differences in the technology from my 09TLTech, I am settling into the enjoyment stage.
Truly a great touring car. I just took the car out for a shakedown cruise thru the back roads of Amish Country and the car performed admirably, yes the Lane Assist can be a pain but that can be turned off. For me it was one of the major points that I recognize age can overcome quickly.
The car didn't exhibit any suspension flaws, i.e.: oversteer or understeer through the twisties and that made for a very enjoyable ride.
Sure the technology package is a lot to swallow especially finger punching all 200 addresses and learning the differences from my last ride.
But for now, I am extremely confident and happy with the purchase..
Old 07-20-2013, 07:22 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
What are your thoughts on not have a spare tire?
Old 07-25-2013, 03:03 PM
RLX Advanced #3606

My thoughts as to not having a spare tire, Never needed the spare or donut from the 2 previous TL's, and that's with a combined 100K miles. I suppose that's what the little help button above is for...
Actually I did think about it for at least a couple of minutes and If it bothered me that much, than there aren't very many cars in the RLX class with a full size Spare in the trunk...
Old 07-25-2013, 04:42 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by victorber
My thoughts as to not having a spare tire, Never needed the spare or donut from the 2 previous TL's, and that's with a combined 100K miles. I suppose that's what the little help button above is for...
Actually I did think about it for at least a couple of minutes and If it bothered me that much, than there aren't very many cars in the RLX class with a full size Spare in the trunk...
I'm kind of in the same boat. My CTS coupe doesn't have a spare, just the pump and fix-a-flat. Fine for a nail, but not so good if you have a blowout.

I had an interesting conversation with a guy at the tire shop on the subject when I got new wheels for my CTS. He seemed to imply that a catastrophic failure like a blowout is less of an issue when you have a premium tire like the Michelein Pilots that are on my CTS. I don't recall what are on the RLX, but historically Acura has had the same on it's cars.

His point is that the way the Michelins are constructed you should rarely have that kind of a failure. Now, having said that I am sure that there will be people who disagree. Heck, all it takes is a deep pothole with a low profile tire and you can have a failure, but his point is that it's pretty rare. He could have easily tried to sell me a spare, but instead he told me not to worry about it.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:51 PM
RLX Advanced #3606

Has anyone had a problem with the Home Link distance? The programing was fine but I had to get right up to the door before it opened. Talk about frustration!
So I called Home Link and discussed the problem with them, First thing she said change the battery in the GDO Remote??? Why I asked,
She said believe it or not but the newness of the battery will result in a stronger single.....what a lesson, she was correct, I changed the button battery and went thru the reprograming and Wha-La...no more problem!
Old 07-25-2013, 08:00 PM
RLX Advanced #3606

All this negative discussion about the harshness of the ride on rough roads...I strongly believe that if your running 19's their going to be a little harsher than the 17's on the TL. It may also be the Tire pressure is 35psi in the fronts vs the 32's in the TL's.
Unless your driving on a washboard, the problem is with the State for their road maintenance, not the RLX.

Oh, by the way if you get an opportunity to look under the hood you'll notice that the RLX has a pretty hefty sway brace linking the upper struts, almost the same as the S2000 and other sport cars.

Last edited by victorber; 07-25-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by victorber
Has anyone had a problem with the Home Link distance? The programing was fine but I had to get right up to the door before it opened. Talk about frustration!
So I called Home Link and discussed the problem with them, First thing she said change the battery in the GDO Remote??? Why I asked,
She said believe it or not but the newness of the battery will result in a stronger single.....what a lesson, she was correct, I changed the button battery and went thru the reprograming and Wha-La...no more problem!
So did you change the battery in the Home Link module in the car (if there is one)? Or the battery in the original opener for the garage door?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
I believe if the original garage door opener remote has a new battery, it sends a stronger, clearer signal to the Home Link in your car during programming resulting in improved performance of the Home Link button in your car when opening your garage door.

This has been my experience as well with my RL and my wife's MDX... her Home Link wasn't working well, so I changed the battery in the original remote and repeated the programming procedure and it has worked great since.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:01 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
FYI, CNET and Consumer Reports reviews are not professional reviews. Car and Driver, Motor Trend, Motorweek are ones you want to read. Stay clear of those.
I don't know about CNET, but Consumer Reports definitely provides professional reviews, and arguably they're the most objective because they don't take advertising. I've also noticed that Consumer Reports has developed a more enthusiast-oriented stance over the years, with more concern about driving dynamics. Take a look at their video review of the FR-S/BRZ, for example.

But I'm with you about Car & Driver. A couple of times, I've been skeptical of their reviews, but when I've tested the cars myself I've completely agreed with them. This happened with the G37 and Saab 9-5 a few years ago, and more recently with the new BMW 328i. I think they usually get it right, and their comparison tests are the best IMO.

As for new models like the RLX, keep in mind that some reviews might be based on pre-production examples, so something like suspension tuning may have been refined for production. A good review will always include that information.