Hybrid engine not off in park

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 08:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
Hybrid engine not off in park

Question on the ICE engine in park. (Actually for MDX, but I think there is only 2 of us that have Hybrids on the MDX forum and I figure it must work the same in the RLX).
I had to switch cars around and left car "On" and in Park & Parking Brake on. Exited car and I noticed that the ICE was still running, but expected it to turn off soon. Coincidentally, a Delivery person arrived at same time so I took time to sign for package. Then moved the other car out of the way and got back in Hybrid. ICE was still running the entire time and it had to be over 5 minutes.
Surprised?
Old 07-17-2017, 09:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Good question. It is a safety thing. As long as the car is "on" but you are not in the driver seat, the ICE turns on to make sure you know that the car is running. If it were in hybrid mode, you might walk away thinking that the car is off, and it isn't. If that is not the right assessment, I can't explain it. That is my interpretation. It does the same thing in all hybrids from Acura including the NSX. I hope that help you. By the way going to dinner tonight I achieved 38.9 mpg in the MDX-SH. I got 32.8 mpg coming back home.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:25 PM
Safety Car

I would think ICE would turn off to make sure someone did not hit park inside garage and not turn off.
That is more safety

That must have been downhill both ways
Old 07-19-2017, 06:34 AM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
With the RLX, when the engine is cold and warming up the ICE will run until at temp or the battery drops to a certain level. It will cycle ICE to full electric when warming up in the winter or cooling down in the summer after walking away from it.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:36 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by pcloadletter
With the RLX, when the engine is cold and warming up the ICE will run until at temp or the battery drops to a certain level. It will cycle ICE to full electric when warming up in the winter or cooling down in the summer after walking away from it.
This is the right answer. :-)

You can walk away from a KC2 with the ignition on, and the motor cycles on and off to suit the car.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:52 PM
Safety Car

Engine was completely warm as I had just come back from trip to store
Hybrid Battery was over half charged

So the only explanation seems that it needed to keep engine temp cool? However, it was ~6pm in SF Bay area and outside temp was ~80. Engine had turned off several times on my trip back from store when at stoplight. It seems odd that it would need to run for over 5 minutes in Park when it clearly shut off quickly when in Drive at a stop light.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 748 Likes on 410 Posts
MDX Sport Hybrid owners:

There is a safety recall on your vehicles, and I think if you look at the pdf you can check to see if yours is affected.

Also a pdf with some information.....

Posting here, so I don't start a new thread.

HTH
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
B17-029.pdf (902.9 KB, 96 views)
File Type: pdf
B17060B.pdf (20.9 KB, 82 views)
Old 07-21-2017, 04:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pgeorg
MDX Sport Hybrid owners:

There is a safety recall on your vehicles, and I think if you look at the pdf you can check to see if yours is affected.

HTH
WOW what a find! Thank you! I will check on that tonight.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

MDX Sport Hybrid owners:

HTH
So I popped the hood and unless I am looking at the wrong place, I don't see where the area of concern is. I see nothing that looks the same as what I see in the picture. Now what?
Old 07-22-2017, 08:21 PM
Burning Brakes

^^
The Breather Pipe, connects to end of the airbox. Follow the airbox (where the air filter is in, on the right side of the engine bay) going towards the engine. The two hoses should be routed under the Breather Pipe......

Let me know if that helps you at all......
Old 07-22-2017, 08:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^
The Breather Pipe, connects to end of the airbox. Follow the airbox (where the air filter is in, on the right side of the engine bay) going towards the engine. The two hoses should be routed under the Breather Pipe......

Let me know if that helps you at all......
Tomorrow I will send you a picture of what I see and hopefully you can direct me. From my perspective the picture looks different. Maybe it is just the angle. I appreciate the help regardless.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Look where the red box is, and you should see the Breather Pipe. To see the hoses better (although not necessary) you may take the engine cover off (just pull it up)...

Let me know tomorrow....