Finally an RLX owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 07:16 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Finally an RLX owner

Got my 18 sport hybrid last week in silver. I like the car so far as many of you. The car's infotainment is the same as my 17 mdx so I get used to it. I think we all know the good parts of it, let me share my thoughts on some of the negatives for me.

1. I used to turn off the idle engine auto start/stop in my mdx because of the engine wear concern. With the RLX now I start to worry about the same with the frequent start / stop of the engine.
2. The sh awd is completely different from the mechanical sh awd, which makes me wonder if I am likely to experience slipping in the snow here in Canada. The mdx/tlx etc are all time awd but the RLX HybrId is not.
3. The rear seat belt is not booster seat friendly. It's difficult to buckle up with the convertible britax booster I have . The location of the buckle requires precise direction to push in . Even I may not be able to do it on the first few attempts, my 5 years old can't even get it done.
4. Some have pointed it out, but car shaking is experienced in low speed forward (in garage) or reverse .
5. It would be nice if I can use the sport mode steering wheel setting in non sport mode. I wish someone can hack the system to allow this 😆
6.the door pockets are relatively small. I remember having a bigger one with my old 2003 accord or 2007 tsx.
7. The cabin noise is low but I expected greater difference when comparing to my 17 mdx. If the RLX is 100, then I think the mdx is 90 to 95
8.car is smooth but slow to start due to engine being turned off at stop
9. Gas saving is good overall, but not that great on highways or when I want to have fun in sport mode. But I know this is a hybrid thing.
The following users liked this post:
rlx015 (04-24-2023)
Old 04-23-2023, 04:56 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts
For someone so happy to get the car at last you seem to have a slew of concerns. Just sayin'....

As for the start/stop: I have now owned five of these cars, all sedans (no SUVs) and I'll just say this. If the Honda engineers spent half the time on that start/stop as they spent on all those other cars and features (including the completely bullet proof RL that my daughter is still driving) then I'll take it on faith that the start/stop is properly designed and tested.
The following 2 users liked this post by DanL07RL:
hondamore (04-23-2023), mrrobato (06-03-2023)
Old 04-23-2023, 06:55 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,515 Likes on 1,182 Posts
I purchased my 19 MDX Sport Hybrid back in 2019 and still had my 11 MDX. It was a transition getting used to the hybrid powertrain coming from NA, turbos, and supercharged engines from previous vehicles. For example: Living and driving at 5000-7200 feet got me routinely hitting the gas pedal a little more being down on hp/tq with I.C.E. at high altitudes. The instant hp/tq of the 3 electric motors filled in the power gap perfectly until the MDX 3.0L was needed. I also learned to trust the engineers of the hybrid sh-awd system to provide the right amount of acceleration, traction, handling, and braking as needed for performance+efficiency. All I need to do is hit the gas or brake and turn the wheel and let the magic happen. I sometimes turn on the Power Distribution screen on the upper Navi and it is amazing how much is going on with the hybrid powertrain that is 99% seamless. I ended up looking the a RLX Sport Hybrid and purchased one at the end of 2019 because of how much I was impressed with the MDX Sport Hybrid. I'm now able to drive both of my Sport Hybrid MDX and RLX without feeling the EV to I.C.E. to EV transitions (not sure if I'm that good of a driver OR just learned to ignore the transition).

There isn't a full time awd like the mechanical sh-awd; but, the system does provide anything from 1wd to 4wd w/ or w/o regen braking/tq vectoring depending on the performance, handling, braking, and if your foot on/off the gas or brake pedal. I've never felt the hybrid sh-awd system underperformed in any conditions compared to the mechanical sh-awd for dry roads, rain, snow, mountain switchbacks, etc... The only thing I've noticed is hybrid sh-awd (battery recharge, tq vectoring & regen braking) very limited to unavailable at speeds +85 mph. Pretty much fwd and 3.0L/3.5L mostly used at those speeds.

I've noticed the Sport Hybrid engine idle is around 950 rpms compared to around 750 rpms for my 11 MDX. I imagine the 7DCT not being fully engaged in a gear and riding the brake pedal would cause the shaking issues (especially on an incline). One advantage of my RLX hybrid over my MDX hybrid is the RLX can reverse in electric mode only. That might help with shaking if the warmed up RLX can drive in/out of the garage in EV mode. I'm trying to keep a 30,000 miles or 4 year limit on the DW-1 for the 7DCT. It runs around $205 to change out at my Acura dealership. I'm hoping it will keep the 7DCT extremely happy since the DW-1 is working extra hard with dual wet clutches and mechanical gears.

Noticed the RLX utility doesn't come close to the kid friendly MDX. Love the RLX large back seats; but, no recline, no 2nd row door storage, limited front row storage, no 2nd row electronic climate controls, no 3 passenger seating, and limited trunk space. Not a huge deal for us because it is just the wife and I with occasional adult passengers. We would probably trade-in our RLX if Acura ever came out with a 4th Gen RDX Sport Hybrid (not ready for the ZDX BEV just yet).
hondamore (04-23-2023)
Old 04-23-2023, 07:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Karachi, congratulations on your new car. I've been driving an RLX Sport Hybrid for 8 years and it has been everything I hoped for and more even considering the limitations listed by mrgold35.

Regarding the performance of the SHAWD in the snow, I'm in Edmonton where there is snow on the ground 7 months a year and my RLX has handled every bit of snow and ice with ease (caveat: I do install dedicated snow tires for winter driving). There is a bit of a learning curve to driving the Sport Hybrid in the winter as the system can give a sensation of fish-tailing when cornering on ice, but you just have to learn to trust the technology and the car won't let the rear end swing out past the direction that you want to go.

I hope you enjoy your new RLX Sport Hybrid as much as I do.
Old 04-23-2023, 07:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

I apologize for my last post in which spell check changed kareshi to Karachi.
Old 04-23-2023, 10:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DanL07RL
For someone so happy to get the car at last you seem to have a slew of concerns. Just sayin'....

As for the start/stop: I have now owned five of these cars, all sedans (no SUVs) and I'll just say this. If the Honda engineers spent half the time on that start/stop as they spent on all those other cars and features (including the completely bullet proof RL that my daughter is still driving) then I'll take it on faith that the start/stop is properly designed and tested.
yes i am highly self-conscious so i constantly review my choices. I love the car, but there're just things on my wish list. =) The RLX world is a bit lonely in here.

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I purchased my 19 MDX Sport Hybrid back in 2019 and still had my 11 MDX. It was a transition getting used to the hybrid powertrain coming from NA, turbos, and supercharged engines from previous vehicles. For example: Living and driving at 5000-7200 feet got me routinely hitting the gas pedal a little more being down on hp/tq with I.C.E. at high altitudes. The instant hp/tq of the 3 electric motors filled in the power gap perfectly until the MDX 3.0L was needed. I also learned to trust the engineers of the hybrid sh-awd system to provide the right amount of acceleration, traction, handling, and braking as needed for performance+efficiency. All I need to do is hit the gas or brake and turn the wheel and let the magic happen. I sometimes turn on the Power Distribution screen on the upper Navi and it is amazing how much is going on with the hybrid powertrain that is 99% seamless. I ended up looking the a RLX Sport Hybrid and purchased one at the end of 2019 because of how much I was impressed with the MDX Sport Hybrid. I'm now able to drive both of my Sport Hybrid MDX and RLX without feeling the EV to I.C.E. to EV transitions (not sure if I'm that good of a driver OR just learned to ignore the transition).

There isn't a full time awd like the mechanical sh-awd; but, the system does provide anything from 1wd to 4wd w/ or w/o regen braking/tq vectoring depending on the performance, handling, braking, and if your foot on/off the gas or brake pedal. I've never felt the hybrid sh-awd system underperformed in any conditions compared to the mechanical sh-awd for dry roads, rain, snow, mountain switchbacks, etc... The only thing I've noticed is hybrid sh-awd (battery recharge, tq vectoring & regen braking) very limited to unavailable at speeds +85 mph. Pretty much fwd and 3.0L/3.5L mostly used at those speeds.

I've noticed the Sport Hybrid engine idle is around 950 rpms compared to around 750 rpms for my 11 MDX. I imagine the 7DCT not being fully engaged in a gear and riding the brake pedal would cause the shaking issues (especially on an incline). One advantage of my RLX hybrid over my MDX hybrid is the RLX can reverse in electric mode only. That might help with shaking if the warmed up RLX can drive in/out of the garage in EV mode. I'm trying to keep a 30,000 miles or 4 year limit on the DW-1 for the 7DCT. It runs around $205 to change out at my Acura dealership. I'm hoping it will keep the 7DCT extremely happy since the DW-1 is working extra hard with dual wet clutches and mechanical gears.

Noticed the RLX utility doesn't come close to the kid friendly MDX. Love the RLX large back seats; but, no recline, no 2nd row door storage, limited front row storage, no 2nd row electronic climate controls, no 3 passenger seating, and limited trunk space. Not a huge deal for us because it is just the wife and I with occasional adult passengers. We would probably trade-in our RLX if Acura ever came out with a 4th Gen RDX Sport Hybrid (not ready for the ZDX BEV just yet).
lucky you to be able to drive the cars in the best of both worlds! i wonder how does the MDX hybrid drive compare to the RLX hybrid. while the car is moving, the instant power when needed is satisfying. if i put it in sport mode, this thing is really a beast. i am going to the dealership tomorrow to change the DW-! and the rear brakes. the rear brakes squeak.

Originally Posted by hondamore
Karachi, congratulations on your new car. I've been driving an RLX Sport Hybrid for 8 years and it has been everything I hoped for and more even considering the limitations listed by mrgold35.

Regarding the performance of the SHAWD in the snow, I'm in Edmonton where there is snow on the ground 7 months a year and my RLX has handled every bit of snow and ice with ease (caveat: I do install dedicated snow tires for winter driving). There is a bit of a learning curve to driving the Sport Hybrid in the winter as the system can give a sensation of fish-tailing when cornering on ice, but you just have to learn to trust the technology and the car won't let the rear end swing out past the direction that you want to go.

I hope you enjoy your new RLX Sport Hybrid as much as I do.
I apologize for my last post in which spell check changed kareshi to Karachi.
no worries, it's just a nickname thanks for sharing your experience in Edmonton. I am in GTA so it's relatively mild compared to Edmonton. i do have a set of winter tires so i would think it's okay. i can't wait to try it in the snow to feel how it's going to be different
Old 04-24-2023, 07:27 AM
mrgold35

I wish I could combine the best features of the MDX and RLX together. The MDX only comes in about 100lbs more than the RLX. The MDX feels more weight balanced and not as nose heavy as the RLX. The MDX Sport Hybrid has electronic dampers and four IDS modes (Comfort, Normal, Sport, Sport+). The electronic dampers have comfort mode in IDS Comfort/Normal and a stiffer sporty setting for IDS Sport/Sport+. Feels like the top heavy MDX handles noticeably better than my nose heavy RLX with regular reactive struts/shocks when the roads get twisty. I really don't feel any extra power in the MDX in Sport+ mode. It is mostly disabling EV mode, tighter steering, max suspension setting, maxing out the battery pack %, 7DCT downshift, and holding lower gears longer for the 7DCT for improved performance for the MDX. Seems like the RLX does the max out battery, disables EV mode, tighter steering, and holding lower gears longer in Sport mode.

The RLX hybrid system has much better programming. The RLX EV system will engage sooner, longer, with more hp/tq, at higher mph, and in reverse compared to the MDX. The RLX is friggin' beast when you hit the gas pedal at any speed AND still provides 27-30 mpgs avg. I've passed two semi-trucks in a row on a two lane road in the RLX and started at 70 mph and was at +125 mph before I merged back in the lane. My MDX EV system works best at city speeds and really reduces power at +70 mph. I'm pretty much mostly using the 3.0L 257hp NA with fwd hauling +4500lbs at +80 mph with the high profile MDX. I wished my MDX Sport Hybrid had the RLX 3.5L engine! The MDX Type-S should have used the RLX Sport Hybrid powertrain as an option OR added the Sport Hybrid powertrain to the 3.0T engine (+420 hp/tq, +24 mpgs always).

The only other differences are:
- RLX front seats are not as comfy or supportive on long roadtrips as the MDX. Our lower backs get a little sore after +2 hours in the RLX compared to +6 hours straight with zero issues in the MDX.
- no Carplay like my MDX
- I have a ton of leg room driving the RLX; but, less leg room as a passenger (6'3" and size 14 shoes). Equal amount of front leg room in my MDX.
- no real wood trim or metal trim around seat controls like my MDX
- can be really dark inside the RLX at night with ebony interior walking up the vehicle (20%-35% window tint doesn't help either)
- brakes in the RLX are really touchy compared to the MDX. Took some time not to hit the brakes and it didn't feel like a panic stop when I first drove the RLX.
- fog lights are just for looks on the RLX. I get more front and side illumination with the MDX fog lights
- I can't wear polarized sunglasses with the RLX HUD.
r10apple (05-06-2023)
Old 04-24-2023, 07:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts
Just a follow-up on a couple of your concerns/questions.

The auto stop/start is different on the RLX Hybrid than a normal non-hybrid. If you ever listen to your car when it starts up the gas engine, there's not the typical starter motor like there is in a non-hybrid. The engine just "starts". So while it is stopping and starting periodically, the wear/tear won't be the same as it is on a car like my '19 MDX Advance, where I chose to install an idlestopper to default to non-auto-start/stop in that car.

The winter traction is different than a normal SH-AWD. If you look at the display of the electric motors in the sport hybrid, you'll see that in hybrid/electric mode the rear wheels are driving the car, not the front wheels - which can give you a strange feeling when the car first starts to slip. But it's pretty immediate when the 4 wheel drive kicks in and from that point on it behaves the same as a typica SH-AWD vehicle. My wife (primary owner/driver of our 18 sport hybrid RLX) noticed the difference when moving from her '12 TL SH-AWD - and at first was skeptical that the system would work as well in the winter for her - but after a few times experiencing the subtle differences she's pretty happy with the winter performance. We do run dedicated snows in the winter (NH USA).

Good luck - andy
Old 04-24-2023, 06:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by andysinnh
Just a follow-up on a couple of your concerns/questions.

The auto stop/start is different on the RLX Hybrid than a normal non-hybrid. If you ever listen to your car when it starts up the gas engine, there's not the typical starter motor like there is in a non-hybrid. The engine just "starts". So while it is stopping and starting periodically, the wear/tear won't be the same as it is on a car like my '19 MDX Advance, where I chose to install an idlestopper to default to non-auto-start/stop in that car.

The winter traction is different than a normal SH-AWD. If you look at the display of the electric motors in the sport hybrid, you'll see that in hybrid/electric mode the rear wheels are driving the car, not the front wheels - which can give you a strange feeling when the car first starts to slip. But it's pretty immediate when the 4 wheel drive kicks in and from that point on it behaves the same as a typica SH-AWD vehicle. My wife (primary owner/driver of our 18 sport hybrid RLX) noticed the difference when moving from her '12 TL SH-AWD - and at first was skeptical that the system would work as well in the winter for her - but after a few times experiencing the subtle differences she's pretty happy with the winter performance. We do run dedicated snows in the winter (NH USA).

Good luck - andy
Thanks for the info on the starter. Obviously I know sht about the car. So my concern about slipping is valid based on what you have told me. However, it sounds to me that the system was well designed so that these conditions were considered seriously.

I turn off the auto idle in my 17 mdx at all times. It's one of the first buttons that I press lol. I notice the RLX drives mostly FWD though. I am still a bit concerned sometimes that it behaves like the other awd where it sends power to the rear only only slippage.
Old 04-24-2023, 11:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
I have a prescribed "medicine" for you to easily revisit that list... here is what you do:

Step 1: drive your new RLX SH for at least couple of months
Step 2: find 3 other vehicles similar to RLX SH (don't worry about looking at the prices, you are not buying them)... and go test them for at least 20-30 minutes each...
Step 3: go back home and drive your RLX SH right after...
Step 4: revisit the above list

kareshi (04-25-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 09:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rlx015
I have a prescribed "medicine" for you to easily revisit that list... here is what you do:

Step 1: drive your new RLX SH for at least couple of months
Step 2: find 3 other vehicles similar to RLX SH (don't worry about looking at the prices, you are not buying them)... and go test them for at least 20-30 minutes each...
Step 3: go back home and drive your RLX SH right after...
Step 4: revisit the above list

That's a good suggestion =)
rlx015 (04-26-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 09:06 PM
Racer

I wish I could combine the best features of the MDX and RLX together. The MDX only comes in about 100lbs more than the RLX. The MDX feels more weight balanced and not as nose heavy as the RLX. The MDX Sport Hybrid has electronic dampers and four IDS modes (Comfort, Normal, Sport, Sport+). The electronic dampers have comfort mode in IDS Comfort/Normal and a stiffer sporty setting for IDS Sport/Sport+. Feels like the top heavy MDX handles noticeably better than my nose heavy RLX with regular reactive struts/shocks when the roads get twisty. I really don't feel any extra power in the MDX in Sport+ mode. It is mostly disabling EV mode, tighter steering, max suspension setting, maxing out the battery pack %, 7DCT downshift, and holding lower gears longer for the 7DCT for improved performance for the MDX. Seems like the RLX does the max out battery, disables EV mode, tighter steering, and holding lower gears longer in Sport mode.

The RLX hybrid system has much better programming. The RLX EV system will engage sooner, longer, with more hp/tq, at higher mph, and in reverse compared to the MDX. The RLX is friggin' beast when you hit the gas pedal at any speed AND still provides 27-30 mpgs avg. I've passed two semi-trucks in a row on a two lane road in the RLX and started at 70 mph and was at +125 mph before I merged back in the lane. My MDX EV system works best at city speeds and really reduces power at +70 mph. I'm pretty much mostly using the 3.0L 257hp NA with fwd hauling +4500lbs at +80 mph with the high profile MDX. I wished my MDX Sport Hybrid had the RLX 3.5L engine! The MDX Type-S should have used the RLX Sport Hybrid powertrain as an option OR added the Sport Hybrid powertrain to the 3.0T engine (+420 hp/tq, +24 mpgs always).

- RLX front seats are not as comfy or supportive on long roadtrips as the MDX. Our lower backs get a little sore after +2 hours in the RLX compared to +6 hours straight with zero issues in the MDX.
- no Carplay like my MDX
- I have a ton of leg room driving the RLX; but, less leg room as a passenger (6'3" and size 14 shoes). Equal amount of front leg room in my MDX.
- can be really dark inside the RLX at night with ebony interior walking up the vehicle (20%-35% window tint doesn't help either)
- brakes in the RLX are really touchy compared to the MDX. Took some time not to hit the brakes and it didn't feel like a panic stop when I first drove the RLX.
- fog lights are just for looks on the RLX. I get more front and side illumination with the MDX fog lights
yes the RLX fog lights are useless. i didn't pay attention to it when i purchased it, and test drives are during the day.. i did try to turn it off and on on a pretty dark road, i couldn't tell the difference.
Old 04-26-2023, 07:32 AM
mrgold35

There was a TSB 20-040 Sport Hybrid Odd Gear Monitor Software Update. I had the 7DCT TSB applied for my MDX and RLX sport hybrids. I didn't have any codes or notice any differences with performance, shifting, or mpgs before or after the update. The only other issue I had with my 18 RLX was the OEM battery failing a few year ago (replaced under warranty). It has just been routine service, wipers, one pothole pinch flat, and one pothole bent rim in +4 years.
kareshi (04-26-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 02:54 PM
Racer

There was a TSB 20-040 Sport Hybrid Odd Gear Monitor Software Update. I had the 7DCT TSB applied for my MDX and RLX sport hybrids. I didn't have any codes or notice any differences with performance, shifting, or mpgs before or after the update. The only other issue I had with my 18 RLX was the OEM battery failing a few year ago (replaced under warranty). It has just been routine service, wipers, one pothole pinch flat, and one pothole bent rim in +4 years.
Thats good. I had one incident though just one week after I got the car. The driver door lock unlock button didnt work. The meMory seat button didnt work either. I was able to drive the car. It got "fixed" after I turned off the car, pressed the lock button from the outside then unlock it again
mrgold35 (04-26-2023)
Old 05-06-2023, 10:20 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

- no Carplay like my MDX

I just traded in the wife's Suburban and picked up an MDX-Type S. I feel this response--a lot. I love the UI in the MDX, LOVE the suspension, LOVE the massaging seats. However, the AV system really lack a low end and as good as spatial audio and similar recordings sound with 'all the speakers', it's actually a gimmick and does not sound as clean or punchy as my RLX (and it makes my ears tired after more than an hour or so of listening). Further, the SH engagement, start/stop and throttle are far better in the RLX. However, the suspension in the MDX is the cat's meow, and all the adjustability for suspension/throttle/steering is very nice for the individual setting.

Frankly, I like my RLX-SH better because of the seats and audio and seamless driving experience. I'd LOVE a new RLX with the MDX's trick suspension and UI and massaging seats--even if the rest of the car was exactly the same. However, I'd rather enjoy the MDX-S for my daily ride with a JB4 tune, though the audio really would not get played nearly as much.

Getting older is a b!+ch when the seats, suspension and audio are as important as the handling/hp/fun factor...

Of all my RLX's, this 2020 RLX-SH has by far been the best and it's honestly been my favorite car other than my old Silver ZDX on those 20's...

I still want a new Audi RS6 Avant, but this d@mn economy scares me. I know that of all cars it will really hold its value, but dropping $135k right now (for the non-performance model who I can;t get an accurate price for with option) gives me pause...
The following 2 users liked this post by r10apple:
kareshi (05-06-2023), mrgold35 (05-06-2023)
Old 05-29-2023, 03:04 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by kareshi
Got my 18 sport hybrid last week in silver. I like the car so far as many of you. The car's infotainment is the same as my 17 mdx so I get used to it. I think we all know the good parts of it, let me share my thoughts on some of the negatives for me.

1. I used to turn off the idle engine auto start/stop in my mdx because of the engine wear concern. With the RLX now I start to worry about the same with the frequent start / stop of the engine.
2. The sh awd is completely different from the mechanical sh awd, which makes me wonder if I am likely to experience slipping in the snow here in Canada. The mdx/tlx etc are all time awd but the RLX HybrId is not.
3. The rear seat belt is not booster seat friendly. It's difficult to buckle up with the convertible britax booster I have . The location of the buckle requires precise direction to push in . Even I may not be able to do it on the first few attempts, my 5 years old can't even get it done.
4. Some have pointed it out, but car shaking is experienced in low speed forward (in garage) or reverse .
5. It would be nice if I can use the sport mode steering wheel setting in non sport mode. I wish someone can hack the system to allow this 😆
6.the door pockets are relatively small. I remember having a bigger one with my old 2003 accord or 2007 tsx.
7. The cabin noise is low but I expected greater difference when comparing to my 17 mdx. If the RLX is 100, then I think the mdx is 90 to 95
8.car is smooth but slow to start due to engine being turned off at stop
9. Gas saving is good overall, but not that great on highways or when I want to have fun in sport mode. But I know this is a hybrid thing.
I agree with your 1 and 2 points. Had my 2020 since March and I'm fed up with it. Looking to trade this in soon. why does this model not have a auto idle stop disable button?
Old 05-29-2023, 04:58 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by jpadilla
I agree with your 1 and 2 points. Had my 2020 since March and I'm fed up with it. Looking to trade this in soon. why does this model not have a auto idle stop disable button?
No Auto Stop/Start because it has EV to I.C.E. transition. We can only disable EV-to-ICE in Sport Mode in the RLX Hybrid (Sport+ with MDX Hybrid). It is 100% controlled by the hybrid system and the performance needed with the gas pedal for the EV system to kick in/out. It seems it can happen at almost any speed below 80 mph. I've gone down long long declines at hwy speeds and the engine can shut off at 75 mph. The EV system is mostly designed for city driving below 50 mph. Realistically, it is almost 99% invisible unless you are heavy on the pedal at a stop light.
hondamore (05-29-2023)
Old 05-29-2023, 06:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Realistically, it is almost 99% invisible unless you are heavy on the pedal at a stop light.
^^THIS. I don't understand why anyone would want to disable the autostop/start system when it occurs so seamlessly in the RLX Sport Hybrid. Most of the time, I can only tell if the engine is running or not by glancing at the tachometer.

It is important to repeat that the RLX Sport Hybrid system is MUCH different from other idle stop/start systems. With the Twin Motor Unit getting the car rolling and the third electric motor in the transmission available to help turn over the ICE, the Sport Hybrid's system is all the best attributes of an ICE stop/start system with none of the downside.

As mrgold35 mentioned, the only time that the stop/start system may be slightly noticeable is if you have a heavy right foot. If that is the case, leave the car in Sport Mode and you don't have to worry about the stop/start system and you can maximize your performance at the same time. If you are concerned about fuel economy, just lighten up on the acceleration/late braking and enjoy the mileage benefits that only idle stop can provide.

Just my two cents.

The following 2 users liked this post by hondamore:
andysinnh (05-30-2023), mrgold35 (05-30-2023)
Old 05-30-2023, 08:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts
All you have to do is drive a 2019 MDX non-Hybrid with the start/stop system to realize just how GOOD the system is in the RLX Hybrid. My biggest gripe in the MDX was that you couldn't move until the motor started back up - and then the delay was noticeable and frankly at times dangerous. Thus the reason I installed the Idlestopper unit to prevent it from happening at all unless I did an "opt in". The RLX (and MDX) hybrid are different for a couple of reasons. First, you get instantaneous movement of the vehicle thanks to the electric rear-wheel motors whether the ICE is off or not. Second, the ICE really doesn't "start" the same way a non-hybrid does. When my wife "starts" her car stone-cold in the garage, there's not the normal starter sound and turning the motor over till it catches. The ICE just starts seemingly "magically" (I'm sure that's not the case, but you get my point). It takes a while to get used to it - but once you do and put your faith in the technology - its a great system.....
The following 2 users liked this post by andysinnh:
hondamore (05-30-2023), mrgold35 (05-30-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 12:40 PM
Racer

^^THIS. I don't understand why anyone would want to disable the autostop/start system when it occurs so seamlessly in the RLX Sport Hybrid. Most of the time, I can only tell if the engine is running or not by glancing at the tachometer.

It is important to repeat that the RLX Sport Hybrid system is MUCH different from other idle stop/start systems. With the Twin Motor Unit getting the car rolling and the third electric motor in the transmission available to help turn over the ICE, the Sport Hybrid's system is all the best attributes of an ICE stop/start system with none of the downside.

As mrgold35 mentioned, the only time that the stop/start system may be slightly noticeable is if you have a heavy right foot. If that is the case, leave the car in Sport Mode and you don't have to worry about the stop/start system and you can maximize your performance at the same time. If you are concerned about fuel economy, just lighten up on the acceleration/late braking and enjoy the mileage benefits that only idle stop can provide.

Just my two cents.
i actually notice it every time i need to move from stop to start. it needs to start the engine every time and i swear that i didn't press the pedal heavily. i notice that i need to be super gentle for it to stay in EV from zero to start, but then it's not practical at a traffic light when i need to go. the other times that it would stay in EV is when i am in traffic jam and let it go without stepping on the gas. i can live with this but i would hope this can be better.

having said that, i do agree that the system is very smooth. i usually don't notice the transition when i am driving. i put the pt on disabling idle-stop just because i was new to the car. the idle-stop is required in RLX to be a true hybrid. i just wonder if it works the same way in other hybrid cars too?

Old 06-01-2023, 02:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think the key point is that the Sport Hybrid's (or any hybrid vehicle's) function necessitates that it cycle between EV mode and ICE mode, so, if part of that cycle is changing to EV mode when the ICE would otherwise idle, I don't see it as a negative attribute of the car. Any moderate to heavy acceleration, requires the ICE, so the car seamlessly cycles to ICE mode in these situations. There is no abrupt shaking of the car when the ICE starts, there is no whining of a starter motor, so, once again I don't see how it could be perceived as a negative attribute.

I can certainly see how an idle stop system in a non-hybrid vehicle could be annoying, but the hybrid system's seamless cycling into EV mode when the car is stopped is anything but annoying.

Again, just my two cents.

Old 06-01-2023, 03:02 PM
mrgold35

I drove my MDX Sport Hybrid a little more during the winter months compared to my RLX Sport Hybrid. Early morning colder temps and using a lot of electrical power would greatly reduce EV mode (seat heater, windshield heater, heated steering wheel, rear defogger, etc...). This is when I usually get my worse mpgs in the low 20s until is warms up in mid-afternoon +45 degrees F.
kareshi (06-02-2023)