Considering a 14-16 SH-AWD model... any differences?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015 | 08:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by holografique
$980/month of my hard earned money warranted a better ownership experience over the past 2+ years. That's all I gotta say about it

I believe the actual build date should be on the VIN sticker that is attached to the driver-side B-pillar, where the tire-pressure info, etc is.
i can't wait until my lease is over two years wasted the suspension is horrible
Old 12-06-2015 | 09:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

^ It's a shame, because as long as I stay in the area I live (North Atlanta), the roads are well maintained and the car is a complete joy to drive. It's only then that I get to enjoy the car for the experience it was designed to create. But as soon as I go anywhere near in-town, that experience turns into a "wtf!?". If I'm driving out-of-town for work to a new place, it's a complete gamble. The only place honestly that is a guarantee smooth ride experience are on the highway during long-road trips.

Yes, the roads in Atlanta are notoriously known for being harsh, but my wife's ILX and the numerous TL/TLX/MDX/RDX loaners I've had over the years all handle those bad conditions immensely better than the RLX does.

Honestly, if it hadn't been for the poor suspension design, I could have gone on dealing with all the other issues and would have maintained a general positive attitude towards the ownership experience so far. Even the slow NAV is "bearable" (and I use that word lightly). But something that drastically effects the overall "driving experience" of the vehicle like the poor suspension design is simply in-excusable.

The driving experience is 90% of what the product is. It's a car. You drive it. Everything else is an add-on to elevate that driving experience. You have to nail the driving experience 100%. When you have a problem that has that significant of an impact to that part of the product experience, you simply can't ignore it. Add all the other issues on top of that and it simply leads to poor customer ownership experience.
The following users liked this post:
bronx1480 (12-07-2015)
Old 12-07-2015 | 04:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by holografique
^ It's a shame, because as long as I stay in the area I live (North Atlanta), the roads are well maintained and the car is a complete joy to drive. It's only then that I get to enjoy the car for the experience it was designed to create. But as soon as I go anywhere near in-town, that experience turns into a "wtf!?". If I'm driving out-of-town for work to a new place, it's a complete gamble. The only place honestly that is a guarantee smooth ride experience are on the highway during long-road trips.

Yes, the roads in Atlanta are notoriously known for being harsh, but my wife's ILX and the numerous TL/TLX/MDX/RDX loaners I've had over the years all handle those bad conditions immensely better than the RLX does.

Honestly, if it hadn't been for the poor suspension design, I could have gone on dealing with all the other issues and would have maintained a general positive attitude towards the ownership experience so far. Even the slow NAV is "bearable" (and I use that word lightly). But something that drastically effects the overall "driving experience" of the vehicle like the poor suspension design is simply in-excusable.

The driving experience is 90% of what the product is. It's a car. You drive it. Everything else is an add-on to elevate that driving experience. You have to nail the driving experience 100%. When you have a problem that has that significant of an impact to that part of the product experience, you simply can't ignore it. Add all the other issues on top of that and it simply leads to poor customer ownership experience.
i couldn't have said it better myself other than the suspension i could live with the other issues. Did you get a chance to test drive a 2015 or 2016 to see if they fixed the suspension issue ?
Old 12-07-2015 | 05:12 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm a current TL owner, reading these threads with interest.
I totally agree that for a real car enthusiast it's all about the engine response, the transmission shifting, the suspension, steering, braking,
the sound of the engine as it winds out, etc. All this stuff about navigation and 45 speakers, and cameras and satellite radio is not what I am after at all. I usually drive my car with the stereo off and just listen to the car. Glad to hear there are a few of us left. I am keen on an RLX one day but it will tear me up to give up my sweet 4th gen TL.
Old 12-07-2015 | 06:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bronx1480
i couldn't have said it better myself other than the suspension i could live with the other issues. Did you get a chance to test drive a 2015 or 2016 to see if they fixed the suspension issue ?
I haven't. The changes and improvements to the suspension design werent made until the 2016 model. And while I'd like to test it, I don't think it will do me any good other than to make me more upset that it wasn't done right from the onset of the 2014 model.

Honda/Acura have been making cars for over 30-years. They should know by now how to make a suspension right.
bronx1480 (12-15-2015)
Old 12-07-2015 | 06:43 PM
Instructor

Well, every business has errors in judgement. Their goal may have been to make a drive better through the corners, as the expense of ride, an error that they were NOT able to correct quickly. The mark of a good business is NEVER to NOT make make mistakes, because that would mean NEVER taking any risk.

If you haven't approached Acura about possibly exchanging your vehicle for another, it will be because of your distrust, now. But they may have some mercy on you. ironically, it would have been a lot easier if you hadn't suffered that accident (that wasn't your fault). Of course the depreciation was NOT just the accident.

I am sorry to hear of your disappointment. I have never had a qualm with my Acura products, but I did have a problem with service done by a Lexus Dealership, and Lexus literally SHOCKED ME with their efforts to make it right. That was around 2002, so the world may not be the same. I am almost embarrassed I haven't bought a new Lexus, but they are so UNORIGINAL, any more....you know, from not taking any chances.

You may have exhausted all channels for support from Acura, so if you have, I am truly sorry, because it seems the problem was noted by many people. I am constantly reminded that Acura seems to be run on a shoe string, anymore, even while Honda is now hitting it out of the park. TLX has been good to Acura, made in Marysville. Got to wonder if the problem is Saiyama overhead. Lexus is now charging big $$$$ for the big Lexus, and apparently people are paying for the "sure thing".

Believe me, if you were a "sure thing" fan you wouldn't have bought the RLX to begin with, and...you sure wouldn't be considering a TT from Audi. The first version of that car had so much lift that it killed people in Europe where the speeds would expose the flaw.

Just thinking out loud. You know that I KNOW Acura let you down, and others that bought the RLX when it first came out. I wouldn't have seen it coming, either.

Last edited by sooththetruth; 12-07-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Malibu Flyer (12-07-2015)