2015 RLX AC Noise.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 08:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 748 Likes on 410 Posts
2015 RLX AC Noise.

Hi,

2015 RLX Adv......I have noticed in the last week or so, i hear a noise in the cabin when the AC is working. The noise stops if i turn off the AC only, not the fan or the whole HVAC system. I don't think it sounds like a moan......i think it sounds like a "deeper ringing", but i am not sure i am describing it correctly. I have read the TSB for the AC moan, but i wanted to see if anyone else has it......if you do can you please describe the noise, and if it stops when you turn off the AC (but not the HVAC system).

Thank you!
Old 05-20-2015, 08:34 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by pgeorg
Hi,

2015 RLX Adv......I have noticed in the last week or so, i hear a noise in the cabin when the AC is working. The noise stops if i turn off the AC only, not the fan or the whole HVAC system. I don't think it sounds like a moan......i think it sounds like a "deeper ringing", but i am not sure i am describing it correctly. I have read the TSB for the AC moan, but i wanted to see if anyone else has it......if you do can you please describe the noise, and if it stops when you turn off the AC (but not the HVAC system).

Thank you!

I noticed just recently that my HVAC system started to make a noise too. Mine is a bit of a whirling sound - I would describe it as the sound a helicopter makes off in the distance. Mine however makes the sound even if the AC itself is not engaged. I took a video and showed it to my dealer but since it wasn't currently exhibiting it when I brought it in, they said there was nothing they could do about it. They seemed less than interested in even looking much at the video I took - but that's an entirely different issue I have with my soon to be ex-dealer.
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 09:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CanadacuraTL
I noticed just recently that my HVAC system started to make a noise too. Mine is a bit of a whirling sound - I would describe it as the sound a helicopter makes off in the distance. Mine however makes the sound even if the AC itself is not engaged. I took a video and showed it to my dealer but since it wasn't currently exhibiting it when I brought it in, they said there was nothing they could do about it. They seemed less than interested in even looking much at the video I took - but that's an entirely different issue I have with my soon to be ex-dealer.
Yes that is exactly the sound mine make, thank you! Mine makes its all the time as long as the AC is on. I also have to try to listen for the noise in the engine bay, which i have not done yet. I am waiting for the CMBS recall to come out, so i can do both at once. My dealers service department is a actually pretty good, they actually listen to what i am trying to say and try to fix it......
I think a service department that dismisses their customers complaints, do not deserve a second chance......
Old 05-20-2015, 02:58 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
I have an ac noise. It usually starts after the system is running for a while. Dealer can't find the source. I turn the radio up when it starts.
pgeorg (05-20-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 06:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Red face Ventilated Seats

My 2014 does not make any odd noises, however, I do find that the ventilated seats make more noise than I think that they should. Since this is my 1st car with this feature, I assume that it is the normal sound of the air moving thru the cracks & crevices between your body & the leather seats ... ?

Other than that, no other odd noises with the exception of the passenger side fold-in mirrors: the motor is much louder than the driver side but the dealership told me it was normal.
pgeorg (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 07:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TSX69
My 2014 does not make any odd noises, however, I do find that the ventilated seats make more noise than I think that they should. Since this is my 1st car with this feature, I assume that it is the normal sound of the air moving thru the cracks & crevices between your body & the leather seats ... ?

Other than that, no other odd noises with the exception of the passenger side fold-in mirrors: the motor is much louder than the driver side but the dealership told me it was normal.
I have not used the ventilated seats yet. I will try them and report back....
Both folding mirrors on mine make the same amount of noise.....I doubt that your passenger's side mirror being louder is normal.....

Thank you.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:22 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Seems to me many of these noises are a result of the super quiet interior of the RLX.

In most cars some of these sounds probably exist but can't be noticed due to road noise. However, in some cases it may be a sign of a some problem that needs attention.

Either way, I guess it is a "high class" problem.....we all get a little spoiled by the RLX.
The following 2 users liked this post by Malibu Flyer:
hondamore (05-21-2015), pgeorg (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 04:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
Seems to me many of these noises are a result of the super quiet interior of the RLX.

In most cars some of these sounds probably exist but can't be noticed due to road noise. However, in some cases it may be a sign of a some problem that needs attention.

Either way, I guess it is a "high class" problem.....we all get a little spoiled by the RLX.
Thank you Malibu Flyer! I agree it is not a really big problem, but because i usually have the radio volume really low (news) it does get a little annoying. But yes "high class" problem:-)
Old 05-21-2015, 07:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Hi,

Thank you!

This is one of the earliest known problems with the 2014 models.

1) I first reported this issue back in Sept 13' here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...issues-895058/

See additional threads on this here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...-026-a-908412/

2) There was a TSB released to address this for certain VINs on the 2014 model: TSB 13-026: A/C Moans From the Engine Area (2014 RLX). My VIN is an effected model. Although it appeared to have been resolved for the 1st week after having the TSB performed, the problem came back and has been that way since.

3) My RLX exhibits the noise in all various manners. From the "low groan" to a "high-pitched whine". The "low groan" is most prevalent when idle, while the "high-pitched whine" is most prevalent when moving at speeds of 40mph or higher.

4) This issue is not the result of the "super-quiet" cabin design. The noise can be heard when the car is idle stopped, which ANY car will be quiet under those conditions.

5) No other Acura I've driven including the ILX, TLX, TL, RDX, MDX exhibit this AC noise. Using those vehicles as a benchmark for Acura quality, this is not what I classify as a "high-class" problem.
pgeorg (05-22-2015)
Old 05-22-2015, 07:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Thank you holografique. The noise is constant for me, either idling or driving at any speed. It will only go away if i turn the AC off.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thank you holografique. The noise is constant for me, either idling or driving at any speed. It will only go away if i turn the AC off.
That's exactly how it behaves for me, it just happens to change its tone based on speed for me. The best way I can explain it is soundling like two little RC race cars (one big one small) sitting somewhere behind the dashboard attempting to match the rev speed of the cars engine.

But just like you, it immediately goes away instantly upon shutting off the AC portion of the HVAC system. Meaning it is something specific to when the AC compressor is engaged.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by holografique
That's exactly how it behaves for me, it just happens to change its tone based on speed for me. The best way I can explain it is soundling like two little RC race cars (one big one small) sitting somewhere behind the dashboard attempting to match the rev speed of the cars engine.

But just like you, it immediately goes away instantly upon shutting off the AC portion of the HVAC system. Meaning it is something specific to when the AC compressor is engaged.
I will pay more attention to what you just said, next time i get in the car. If it is the same as yours, i guess i will have to live with it.........i believe you said you already had the TSB done once:-(
Old 05-22-2015, 04:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

I did have the TSB done and it didnt fix it.

If you notice the TSB was only released for very specific VIN numbers of the 2014 PAWS model. The fact that you are seeing this with a 2015 model supports the fact the TSB doesnt work since its showing up in a newer year model.

I would still report it to your service center and make them aware of the TSB. It may prompt them to contact Acura support, which may further prompt them to look into the issue more closely. Who knows, we could see a revised TSB that actually fixes the problem. But we'll never know if we dont speak up.

All I know is the last time I brought it up a second time at the service center, I brought up with the Manager (who also drives an RLX) and he confirmed he also had the same noise and that they had received complaints from others, but that there was no known fix for it despite the attempts with the TSB.
pgeorg (05-22-2015)
Old 05-22-2015, 04:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by holografique
I did have the TSB done and it didnt fix it.

If you notice the TSB was only released for very specific VIN numbers of the 2014 PAWS model. The fact that you are seeing this with a 2015 model supports the fact the TSB doesnt work since its showing up in a newer year model.

I would still report it to your service center and make them aware of the TSB. It may prompt them to contact Acura support, which may further prompt them to look into the issue more closely. Who knows, we could see a revised TSB that actually fixes the problem. But we'll never know if we dont speak up.

All I know is the last time I brought it up a second time at the service center, I brought up with the Manager (who also drives an RLX) and he confirmed he also had the same noise and that they had received complaints from others, but that there was no known fix for it despite the attempts with the TSB.
Thank you! I certainly intend to make it an issue when i bring it in for the rest of the stuff. I think i saw a fix for this on the MDX or TLX (i am not sure if it was either one), but it was a homemade fix. I will try to find it, and post here.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:45 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Acura RLX high pitched whistling sound when AC on

I also have a 2015 Acura RLX that makes a loud high pitched whistling sound when the AC is on and I accelerate the car. I brought it into the dealer several times. The mechanic acknowledged the problem and found if the air conditioner is off, there is no problem. The dealer tells me there is nothing they can do because the problem has not been widely reported, and work to replace the AC will use parts that have the same problem. The car will be two years old and it has about 12,500 miles. Does anyone have suggestions?
Old 09-28-2017, 04:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Read this thread, and you will be able to take care of the AC whistling and/or moaning. Credit goes to members KenRLX, and holografique.

Fix is on the second page:

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...ow-say-931367/

HTH
Old 02-01-2019, 06:36 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Audio Sample of AC noise

Hello Everyone,

Just joining this thread -- thank god other people are having this issue. I have a 2016 RLX (PAWS) and I have brought it in for this AC noise several times. I want to say the noise has been there as long as I had the car (which I purchased new). As most everyone else has experienced, the dealer could not find it - which I can't blame them.

I haven't seen anyone else post audio samples to compare my noise to, so I thought I would contribute. Mine sounds like a UFO.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Untitled - 2:1:19, 4.34 PM.mp3 (238.3 KB, 56 views)
Old 02-04-2019, 09:41 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by cooper2372
Hello Everyone,

Just joining this thread -- thank god other people are having this issue. I have a 2016 RLX (PAWS) and I have brought it in for this AC noise several times. I want to say the noise has been there as long as I had the car (which I purchased new). As most everyone else has experienced, the dealer could not find it - which I can't blame them.

I haven't seen anyone else post audio samples to compare my noise to, so I thought I would contribute. Mine sounds like a UFO.
That's not the reed valve. I have no idea what that is. It almost sounds like they replaced the tube with the reed valve but then didn't fasten something down well.

Was that recording from inside the cabin, near the passenger front seat floorboard?
Old 02-04-2019, 05:36 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Fixed - For now!

Originally Posted by George Knighton
That's not the reed valve. I have no idea what that is. It almost sounds like they replaced the tube with the reed valve but then didn't fasten something down well.

Was that recording from inside the cabin, near the passenger front seat floorboard?
Hello George!

It was from inside the center of the cabin with the microphone facing the windshield. I was able to show the service department this forum thread and they were able to fix the problem (for now) by replacing the AC evaporator line along with installing rubber dampers and different rubber washers. They had a mechanic do a ride-along and I was able to point out the noise quick enough so we never even had to leave the parking lot. For me, I could turn the temperature up and the noise would go away completely. Apparently Acura knows about this issue but it is not big enough to issue to a recall. I am so glad that I am able to sit in silence now!

- Best regards

George Knighton (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 09:28 AM
Grandpa

Glad it worked out so well. :-)
Old 02-08-2019, 04:53 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Has this problem been fixed on newer models? I am looking st 2019 model.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:06 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Tigmd99
Has this problem been fixed on newer models? I am looking st 2019 model.
I'm not sure. Have the TSB in your hand when you're negotiating, so they know they might as well make sure it's fixed before you take it.