AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RLX (2013+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-2013-412/)
-   -   '14 RLX SH-AWD: What to look for? (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-2013-412/14-rlx-sh-awd-what-look-934874/)

rabid_rob 08-12-2015 01:32 PM

'14 RLX SH-AWD: What to look for?

I have a slim chance to purchase a 2014 RLX SH-AWD Advance later this week. It has 24k miles, so some warranty remaining.

Curious what RLX-specific details I need to look at on this car before deciding...I invite your thoughts and potential concerns.

What, if anything, has changed on newer models of the RLX? I have compared published specs, and can't see any changes...have I missed anything?

- - -
I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
-Robert

rabid_rob 08-12-2015 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by rabid_rob (Post 15522502)
I have a slim chance to purchase a 2014 RLX SH-AWD Advance

A little more detail...I have a firm deal to lease a '15 TLX SH-AWD Advance, or, a chance, however slim, of purchasing a 24k-mile RLX Sport Hybrid Advance...

I've owned a number of Accords, and a few Acuras ('03 CL, '06 RL, '14 MDX), so have an idea of what to expect from an RLX/Acura, but would love to hear what others think.

- - -
I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
-Robert

hondamore 08-12-2015 02:15 PM

The Sport Hybrid RLX is exceptionally rare and so finding a used model is like finding an old Rembrandt in your attic. I'd be really careful to check the history of the Sport Hybrid to make sure that it isn't a restored accident write-off or something. I say that because of the rarity of the Sport Hybrid and the glowing reviews from all the Sport Hybrid owners makes me wonder why one is available on the used car lot.

My two cents on the comparison between the TLX and Sport Hybrid:
- The RLX is faster
- The RLX is bigger
- The RLX is quieter
- The fit and finish and quality of materials in the RLX is superior
- The RLX will get much better city mileage
- Both are fun to drive, the Sport Hybrid more so.

I've only driven the TLX for half an hour as a loaner, and I really love my RLX Sport Hybrid, so please take that into account when considering the above. I didn't even look at the trunk in the TLX, so I can't compare cargo capacity compared to the Sport Hybrid (which isn't huge because of the hybrid batteries).

Good luck, both are great cars.

Malibu Flyer 08-12-2015 07:04 PM

Assuming you have driven the TLX AWD, you should really drive the Sport Hybrid. You will notice the difference quickly [quickly because of the quickness of the car and the better handling]. I think the Sport Hybrid test drive will sell you the car.

I don't know what the price difference you are looking at with a used 2014 hybrid vs. a new 2015 TLX , but it terms of reliability, so far those of us with the Sport Hybrid have had few problems. The 2016 Sport Hybrid [there were no 2015s sold in the US] has a few new bells and whistles [faster, more responsive infotainment system, surround 360 degree cameras and Acura watch] but nothing dramatic.

Good luck with your decision. Let us know where you come out.

RLX-Sport Hybrid 08-12-2015 09:39 PM

Get in the Sport Hybrid and put it in Sport Mode and D, then stomp on the gas. 0-60mph is dispensed in 5.3 seconds. Put it in Sport mode, M1 and brake hold, then stomp on the gas. 0-60 mph is gone in 4.89 seconds everyday and all day. Weapons grade torque! Enjoy!

I'm heading into surgery tomorrow so I will respond when I can at some point. Take care guys.

hondamore 08-12-2015 11:56 PM

^^RLX-Sport Hybrid, good luck tomorrow - we're thinking of you.

George Knighton 08-13-2015 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by rabid_rob (Post 15522535)
A little more detail...I have a firm deal to lease a '15 TLX SH-AWD Advance, or, a chance, however slim, of purchasing a 24k-mile RLX Sport Hybrid Advance...

There's a big difference in the content and quality of materials between the TLX line and the RLX line.

It is very noticeable.

My local team were completely deflated a few months ago after lending me a TLX V6 while they worked on my RLX.

They asked with big beaming faces how I liked it, and started frowning when my review began with, "It's okay...."

:-)

fsmith 08-13-2015 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid (Post 15523018)
Get in the Sport Hybrid and put it in Sport Mode and D, then stomp on the gas. 0-60mph is dispensed in 5.3 seconds. Put it in Sport mode, M1 and brake hold, then stomp on the gas. 0-60 mph is gone in 4.89 seconds everyday and all day. Weapons grade torque! Enjoy!

I'm heading into surgery tomorrow so I will respond when I can at some point. Take care guys.

You take care, RLX-Sport Hybrid. We'll be thinking of you and will expect you back driving your Sport Hybrid with its "weapons grade torque" soon.

Malibu Flyer 08-13-2015 02:23 PM

Be sure to hit the "Sport mode" in the recovery room so you have a "speedy" recovery from the surgery. Looking forward to hearing about your next drive in the Blackbird. Best Wishes for a speedy recovery.

2011TL 08-13-2015 03:30 PM

Good luck tomorrow! And have a SH recovery.

rabid_rob 08-17-2015 09:38 AM

So there was a drawing Friday to see which lucky associate would have the chance to buy the 2014 RL Sport Hybrid...I think there were about 300 eligible people, but only a fraction of them would want such a special car, and so my odds were a little bit better, but not good enough.

Oh well, easy come, easy go. Looks like I'll move ahead and "settle" for the TLX SH-AWD. :rolleyes:

neuronbob 08-17-2015 10:12 AM

Whoever got it was really, really, really lucky. This is a great car!

rabid_rob 08-17-2015 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by neuronbob (Post 15526449)
Whoever got it was really, really, really lucky. This is a great car!

It has 24k miles, I saw it on Friday (spotless, of course) and sold for $31k. . Might try and track down the person who got it and ask them "are you sure?" just in case they change their mind. :rolleyes:

DASS 08-17-2015 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by rabid_rob (Post 15526640)
It has 24k miles, I saw it on Friday (spotless, of course) and sold for $31k. . Might try and track down the person who got it and ask them "are you sure?" just in case they change their mind. :rolleyes:

Wow, a Sport Hybrid with 24k miles for 31k? Sounds like a great price.

neuronbob 08-18-2015 05:10 AM

'14 RLX SH-AWD: What to look for?

$31k with 24k miles? Thankfully, it was a employee program, else I'd be disheartened with residual value. :( Glad I leased still.

holografique 08-18-2015 03:10 PM

I was about to get all up in arms for a second there....:shoot:

:tomato: