Wheel balance

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 10:18 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Wheel balance

I've had my Advance for over a month now, but today I felt like I got a new car! First, I'm coming from a 2015 CR-V, which I called the CR-Vibrator, which was at the Honda dealer several times for fixes. It got better, but was never really smooth on the highway, so I got used to driving a vibrating car. Second, I live in Pennsylvania, so I don't know what a smooth road is. So in the RDX, I have noticed a slight vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds, but it was better than I had with the CR-V, and my wife kept telling me I was crazy, and "here we go again with the vibrations".

Last weekend, on a drive through NJ, there were several sections of interstate that were newly paved, and I still felt a slight vibration in the steering wheel. I took it in to the dealer today, and I'm not crazy. First, they did find a short screw with a well worn head in the tread of a front tire. And second, all 4 wheels were out of balance. I said I was surprised that it came from the factory that way, and the service manager said he was too. The drive home from the dealer was like driving it for the first time, it was so smooth, even on the lousy Pa highways.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:55 PM
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts
Interesting.
As a transplanted Pittsburgher, I know all about the inadequate roads in PA.
I've made the round trip across PA twice since I got my RDX and had no vibration issues.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:21 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I've have/had Honda and/or Acura vehicles since the early 90s. They always had road noise, wheel balance, or alignment quirks in common. I ended up getting lifetime alignment (firestone) and balance/rotations (Discount Tire) for all my vehicles. Discount offers Road Force Balance and I would highly recommend this even if you are not having any issues. They use a machine to simulate up to 1200 pounds of force the wheel will feel at road speeds when driving to determine best placement of the rubber on the rim for minimal amount of balancing weights. Very good at reducing or even eliminating that tiny bit of vibration if a regular balance or rotation can't seem to touch. I also found rotating and then cross rotating every oil change to make sure each tire touches all four corners also reduces vibration issues, improves tire wear across the tread, and lessens tire/road noise as the tire wears.