Summer Tires for Florida

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 08:33 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Summer Tires for Florida

Hi everybody just wanted to get some opinions on what would be the best summer tires for my aspec for south Florida weather. im mostly looking at best dry contact and wet contact since it tends to rain a lot in the summer
Old 02-16-2023, 08:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 201 Posts
Are you looking for summer-only tires or tires suitable for summer? The former is a bit of a waste unless you're tracking your RDX or hammering on it on back roads. For the latter the general recommendations are the Continental ExtremeContactDWS06 and Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. I have the Continentals on my A-Spec and think they are firmer and louder than I really needed but they are excellent in the rain and have plenty of grip and sporty feel.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:19 AM
Advanced

Just looking for better grip in dry and wet conditions really but between the Continentals and the Michelin you say the Continentals are good in wet and rain over the Michelin?
Old 02-16-2023, 09:21 AM
Advanced

just dont really need allseasons for south florida weather, thats why im trying to search for summer tires
Old 02-16-2023, 02:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 201 Posts
Originally Posted by not2envy
Just looking for better grip in dry and wet conditions really but between the Continentals and the Michelin you say the Continentals are good in wet and rain over the Michelin? just dont really need allseasons for south florida weather, thats why im trying to search for summer tires
Whether a tire is a summer or all season isn't THAT relevant - an all season may provide you the performance that you're looking. Most summer tire (nearly all) are high performance tires designed for sports cars and the performance trims and an SUV like a RDX won't be able to take advantage of the benefits unless you happen to track it or really flog it on back roads (the license losing variety). Summer tires also wear out faster, are generally noisier, and may/may not perform as well in the wet (the highest end ones are terrible in the wet).

The two tires I suggested bring a lot of dry performance and very good wet performance to the table - more than what most SUV owners can take advantage of. Can't go wrong with either if performance is the thing you want but the Continental is cheaper.

I personally would get something a bit gentler like a Michelin Primacy Tour A/S or CrossClimate2- still a solid amount of performance but quieter and rides nicer.

All of these tires are significantly better than the OEM Eagle RS-As that came with your A-Spec in every aspect.